TESTERS WANTED! ×

NEW - MacGregor Website Is Up

GolfSpy_X

I was at my local Golfsmith store this week and checked out the new stuff. The irons look pretty good. In my opinion, they look "Golfsmithed" in that the lines are not traditional MacGregor. The top line is a bit thicker, the offset a bit more pronounced, the toe line is softened a bit and the overall finish doesn't look like a traditional Mac to me.

The driver looks simply like a Snake Eyes component driver. Very disappointed in that. The putters have a nice heavy feel to them, but again Golfsmith added their strange face groove/texture crap to the faces that they simply borrowed from the Snake Eyes putters, and they too look cheapened. The feel off the face is good however, which it better be for $129/putter. Asking $799 for a set of Macgregor irons and $299 for a driver is no longer acceptable to me. I'm afraid to say that after playing MacGregor irons since my college days, they will never be the same, relegated to be just another Golfsmith brand name... (sigh)

WITB

Driver: Cleveland Classic 290 7.5 w/ Miyazaki C.Kua 56x

Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 w/ Rombax 7Z08 X

Hybrid: Cleveland DST 18 w/ Miyazaki C.Kua 95x

Irons: Cleveland CG16 Tour w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 95x

Wedge: Cleveland 588 Custom 52 w/ DG Spinner Wedge+

Wedge: Fourteen RM-11 58 w/ DG X100

Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Royal

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

John Duval, Editor

www.intothegrain.com

• SPY VIP

I like the looks of them too, but for a Golfsmith house brand, the prices do seem high.

That was the crux of the discussion about the wedge that we had in another thread last month.

Hopefully the use of green color will not be the kiss of death like it seemed to be for Nickent...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I like the looks of them too, but for a Golfsmith house brand, the prices do seem high.

That was the crux of the discussion about the wedge that we had in another thread last month.

Hopefully the use of green color will not be the kiss of death like it seemed to be for Nickent...

Funny you brought up Nikent.... that's what there 85T driver looked like to me from this website a bunch of Nikent heads that weren't stamped yet, so they just put MacGregor on them.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

There's nothing VIP about MacGregor NOW

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Like what has been said, I too think the prices are a little high. That said, the VIP irons and wedges look really great. And I like the green hat they have, but it isn't on the Golfsmith website.

The VIP logo isn't great IMO.

There's nothing VIP about MacGregor NOW

You nailed it TW. I am an old MacGregor aficionado and nothing says Macgregor like:

vip1.jpg

I miss the partnership with MacGregor & Don White. I know that Don will be in good hands with Scratch Golf, but MacGregor will still always be, the Greatest Name in Golf!

I saw it also, and I agree, very disappointed with a house brand commanding those type of prices. Now, I am sure there is a reason, maybe limited production, which for sure makes the cost higher. Everything looked good, not great, and I guess hitting them before making a decision would be the best idea, but I am in no hurry to run out and try them.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Like what has been said, I too think the prices are a little high. That said, the VIP irons and wedges look really great. And I like the green hat they have, but it isn't on the Golfsmith website.

The VIP logo isn't great IMO.

The VIP logo was a traditional MacGregor logo. I didn't want to invent some new VIP Logo that would then get even more negative feedback about the logo not being a traditional MacGregor logo. I guess you can't please everyone.

Personally I like this traditional VIP logo. Looking back through the MacGregor products that used the VIP name and all of the different logos they tried, this one was the best and most traditional of the bunch.

Golfsmith - Proprietary Graphic Designer

What's in my Bag?

The VIP logo was a traditional MacGregor logo. I didn't want to invent some new VIP Logo that would then get even more negative feedback about the logo not being a traditional MacGregor logo. I guess you can't please everyone.

Personally I like this traditional VIP logo. Looking back through the MacGregor products that used the VIP name and all of the different logos they tried, this one was the best and most traditional of the bunch.

Welcome to the boards!!! I also like the VIP logo, and as I stated, I would always reserve any judgement until I hit the clubs. I do think the prices are a bit off line though. What is the goal of the brand going forward, what area of the market are you looking to compete in? Are you pursuing any Pros to rep it on the course?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Welcome to the boards!!! I also like the VIP logo, and as I stated, I would always reserve any judgement until I hit the clubs. I do think the prices are a bit off line though. What is the goal of the brand going forward, what area of the market are you looking to compete in? Are you pursuing any Pros to rep it on the course?

Thanks for the welcome. I have been around the board for a little while but I just don't post very often.

Hit the clubs. They will surprise you in a good way. The M75T driver is a rocket and the M85i Irons have been seen to add extra yards to your game while still being very forgiving. I am even thinking about putting a set of them in my bag. I can't play the VIP blades so I trust in the good players to tell me how they feel.

I don't set the price point, but from what I understand we are aiming for a High Quality Product at a price point to insure the quality of product. The added value is in the offer where you get the Free $200 Gift Card w/Purchase. You can't spend a lot of money to produce a high quality product and not ask for the Price to support it.

We are not pursuing any Pros at this time. A lot goes into that including costs that is not easy to provide in this economic market. I'm sure if a Pros came to us and want to play one of our products we would be willing to supply them with product.

What's in my Bag?

Thanks for the reply, I also hope this means clubs for My Golf Spy to test and review are in the future.

My problem is, there are no stores near me, Virginia Beach, VA. I would of course love to hit them for myself, I just can't buy on the net without trying them first. The 200.00 gift card is a very good idea, and something I would surely factor into the price.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Thanks for the reply, I also hope this means clubs for My Golf Spy to test and review are in the future.

My problem is, there are no stores near me, Virginia Beach, VA. I would of course love to hit them for myself, I just can't buy on the net without trying them first. The 200.00 gift card is a very good idea, and something I would surely factor into the price.

You could make a 3 hour Day trip to our Raleigh, NC Extreme Store.

Google Maps

:)

What's in my Bag?

I wrote about the new MacGregor line on my website and received some great responses from David Lowe, Golfsmith's VP of Product Development and International Business. I was harsh only because I don't want to see the great name turned into a component head. I will be testing the new irons and wedges head to head with my older V-Foil 1025M irons and Don White design wedges and if the new clubs should perform as well as the older models, I'll be happy to say so. I hope they do perform well, and that future designs stay true to the MacGregor name. My biggest criticism is the borrowing of Golfsmith design elements for the MacGregor clubs. This kind of thinking is what killed the Snake Eyes and Lynx brands, so I hope the same doesn't hold true with MacGregor.

Stay Tuned!

WITB

Driver: Cleveland Classic 290 7.5 w/ Miyazaki C.Kua 56x

Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 w/ Rombax 7Z08 X

Hybrid: Cleveland DST 18 w/ Miyazaki C.Kua 95x

Irons: Cleveland CG16 Tour w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 95x

Wedge: Cleveland 588 Custom 52 w/ DG Spinner Wedge+

Wedge: Fourteen RM-11 58 w/ DG X100

Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Royal

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

John Duval, Editor

www.intothegrain.com

I'm sure if a Pros came to us and want to play one of our products we would be willing to supply them with product.

Since your not specifying which pros - i will gladly play your products if you will supply me with them. :lol:

in all sincerity, welcome aboard

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I wrote about the new MacGregor line on my website and received some great responses from David Lowe, Golfsmith's VP of Product Development and International Business. I was harsh only because I don't want to see the great name turned into a component head. I will be testing the new irons and wedges head to head with my older V-Foil 1025M irons and Don White design wedges and if the new clubs should perform as well as the older models, I'll be happy to say so. I hope they do perform well, and that future designs stay true to the MacGregor name. My biggest criticism is the borrowing of Golfsmith design elements for the MacGregor clubs. This kind of thinking is what killed the Snake Eyes and Lynx brands, so I hope the same doesn't hold true with MacGregor.

Stay Tuned!

Great to hear, please keep us posted on the results. Can you link your web site also?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I must say that I have played MacGregor Irons for years. I was a more than a little sad when the company went under last year. It looks like Golfsmith is trying to bring the brand back, and I wish them all the success in the world, as long as it doesn't cut into our business... ;) Someday, I will make it up to the Portland GS, and will give these a whirl....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

A whirl, what are you on Dancing with the Stars?

any club that does not perform "gets a whirl"

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

That does look pretty... Performance any good??

The whirl comes when you throw it like a helicopter?

Yep. Fly it parallel to the ground. Less chance of breakage, speaking from experience.

I stopped whirling them after I bought my first set that was more than 100.00, but I sure want to sometimes!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Just got done trading emails with Golfsmith. Looks like A2G may be doing some MacGregor reviews in the near future also...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived