Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

TaylorMade SLDR MiniDriver Hits USGA Conforming List

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Minnie-Driver.jpg

Sorry...that's Minnie Driver.

This is the TaylorMade SLDR MiniDriver that was just approved by the USGA:

20140113.jpg

I'm awaiting more info from TaylorMade, but here's what we know so far. 

• It's 12° and not adjustable.
  • The USGA pics suggest this is very likely the long-rumored "White SLDR"
  • This may be one of, or released in conjunction with, the deep face fairway wood that is also been rumored for some time.

Noteworthy is that the USGA does not have a conforming list for fairway woods, so TaylorMade is most certainly classifying this new club as a driver. The reasonable speculation at this point is that it's a speciality club intended for use at Augusta, and anywhere else where it might be more practical to ditch the true driver.

No word on head volume, intended playing length, or even impending retail availability.

The reasoning behind the new design is what you'd probably expect:

Reputable sources are telling me that Jason Day and Justin Rose have been asking for a 12° with a smaller footprint. Basically, they want something with more loft that will allow them to work the ball right to left at Augusta. So yeah...expect Mini Driver to be large part of the equipment discussion during The Masters.

Big picture, this release (or non-release if it ends up going that way) presents a bit of a conundrum for TaylorMade. You may recall that right about the same time last year, the Franknwood (3-Deep) made an appearance for Callaway. The story was, hey...our pros loved it so much we decided to bring it to retail. I've never believed that particular version of events, but whatever...that's marketing, right? That was a niche product, but one that golfers loved.

What will TaylorMade's story be?

And how do they tell it without looking like they followed Callaway into the deep fairway wood market. Is simply calling it a driver enough to avoid the suggestion that they're "copying" Callaway. Nevermind that TItleist has been doing the deep fairway wood for several years, and before everyone moved to shallower fairways, everything was a deep fairway.

Golf companies should provide the gear their tour staff wants, so I'm good with that piece. As for retail...it's a niche product as well, but, yeah, I'd like to see it offered for those who want it.

Along those same lines, TaylorMade has spent the better part of the last year trying to get out of the tour issue hole (decidedly different gear for regular joes and tour pros), so in one small respect, a Tour-only release would be a step backwards, and would certainly create the kind of black market demand TaylorMade prefer to avoid.

If it's a true fairway wood, I hate it, but if it's actually designed to be a controllable driver replacement (off-the-deck for nobody but Sergio), then it's much more interesting. 

When asked to provide more detail about the Mini Driver, TaylorMade had very little to say on the matter:

“We frequently test new technologies and concepts.  The SLDR mini driver is an exciting product that was designed based on tour player feedback and requests. We look forward to testing with them in the coming weeks.” – Dave Cordero, TaylorMade Golf Spokesperson.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

One I first opened this I thought, "Here we go.  T's in trouble with TMag again." :)

But you did a nice recovery job with the actual story.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sorry, still distracted by the first picture.  She sure is pretty :)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

So they removed the 2 weights that were on there in prototype form?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

So they removed the 2 weights that were on there in prototype form?

That's why I suggested this could be part of a line of deep clubs. As you know, there are more prototypes than finished products, so who knows if this is it...or just the beginning.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

The wax mold I saw was the fairway, it has 2 weights like the Gloire. I was thinking this was that, but I see it's just a smaller volume driver and not a thriver now.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Here it is:

9C8A5E5A-F763-4198-AA3E-319F45034216_zps

Course that could be 3d printed and not wax now that I think about it. That one is supposedly 230-240 cc's and adjustable.

In The Bag

• SPY VIP

Original posted updated with "Official" statement from TaylorMade regarding Minnie Driver...I mean the Mini Driver.

That paint job looks awesome

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

I must be missing something. What is the point of this product?

Technically TaylorMade is talking yet, but what I'm hearing is a more workable alternative to the driver off the tee. Probably more fairway than driver, but likely positioned as a driver alternative, and not something to be hit off the deck much.

If if a hybrid is the bastard child of an iron and a fairway wood, the Mini driver is the bastard child of the fairway wood and the driver.

Take a course like Augusta (and you can expect that's when the real noise will start for this club)...it's not a bomber's course. It's target golf. Shaping shots around doglegs, etc.. That's where I suspect TaylorMade will position the club.

It's the competitor to the Phrankenwood, and now the X2 Hot 2deep

In The Bag

I understand why a Pro would want this for the reasons GST mentioned. I guess that will make a lot of non-pros think it will help their game or that they "have to have it". I guess if you bought the SLDR driver and lost the workability that some have mentioned this would be a good fill in for that, but wouldn't this club just take up space in the bag the majority of the time? I would think that a good player looks at the course they are going to play and decides what equipment is best for that course. If you need workability off the tee then pick a driver that affords that. If it is just raw, straight distance then use your driver that allows those results.

How often would this club actually be used?

I understand why a Pro would want this for the reasons GST mentioned. I guess that will make a lot of non-pros think it will help their game or that they "have to have it". I guess if you bought the SLDR driver and lost the workability that some have mentioned this would be a good fill in for that, but wouldn't this club just take up space in the bag the majority of the time? I would think that a good player looks at the course they are going to play and decides what equipment is best for that course. If you need workability off the tee then pick a driver that affords that. If it is just raw, straight distance then use your driver that allows those results.

How often would this club actually be used?

I'm going to try it out.  I'm looking for something that will fit into the 280 range off the tee and still give me plenty of distance off the turf.  I tried the 15* SLDR 3W, but it is only about 8yds longer than my 3i.  I want it for a specific distance and I think it would be perfect for that.

And there's no plans to release it according to TMag's customer service.

In The Bag

The 2deep is an option, but TMag said it's not coming so I expect to see it in stores in 2 weeks

In The Bag

And there's no plans to release it according to TMag's customer service.

That's typical for customer service though. If you take a look at Dave Cordero's twitter page he is giving some hints like more information to follow. I would say you will see it at the retail level in the late spring or early summer when they release the tour preferred wedges.

Update: Current product sheets are now showing the mini-driver along with another sldr product shipping late April- early May.

Archived