Stogiesnbogies

Callaway Super Soft Golf Ball Review

Callaway Super Soft Golf Ball Review

By Stogiesnbogies

FYI: I am a senior player with an 85-90 Max swing speed; a 15-17 handicap who plays senior flex shafted clubs. I hit my average drives between 180-200 yards and max out under ideal conditions with a very rare 220 yard "bomb".

Callaway has produced the lowest compression ball on the market here with a 38 rating. In contrast the Wilson Staff Duo, it's nearest competitor has a 43 compression; the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite at 50, while the Titleist DT So/Lo checks in at 72. (FYI: All slower swing players; perhaps the reason that the Pro V1X does nothing for you or me has something to do with its 102 compression rating!)

In addition to it's softest compression which enhances direction and distance (as well as feel off the club) Callaway has produced a soft, responsive cover. The soft core and soft cover combine with HEX aerodynamics to produce a golf ball that reduces spin and adds distance.

I absolutely love this ball as it combines the best aspects of both the Wilson Staff Duo and the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite without any of their liabilities. For example the Callaway Super Soft has great distance like the duo but much better feel off the putter.

I find the super soft to be straighter and consequently a tad longer than the Fifty Elite as well. It performs great around the greens with approach shots that sit and pitches and chips that run true. It feels and sounds great off of all club faces. It has proven to be quite durable as well as I played 2 full rounds with one ball and it still looks fine; no scuffs, scratches or cuts.

Callaway definitely has a winner here for a large piece of the golfing market- namely seniors, most women and others with slower swing speeds. It is available in white or yellow (I tested white) and is well priced at 18 -20 dollars per dozen much like its market competitors, the Wilson Staff Duo and Titleist DT So/Lo. All good balls but I'm bagging the Callaway Super Softs Now!!

That is great info. I was just having a conversation with a senior player that thought he should use harder balls to help his game. I was trying to talk him out of the harder ball and into the Wilson Duo, since it was the lowest compression before this new Callaway came out. I will have to let him know that these might be an even better option for him. Thanks for the information.

You're welcome, SMRT....please do check back and let us know how that senior player likes this golf ball.

You might also want to tell him/her that a still less expensive ball which is very soft and very responsive is the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite (50 compression) that goes for about 12 bucks per dozen - and IMO putts better than the Duo....but seriously, for 20 bucks a box this guy/gal can't go wrong with the Callaway Super Soft which I consider to be the best all around performer in the low compression ball market...

Fairways and Greens..

What happens distance wise if someone like JBones hits a Super Soft?  Or, better way to put it, at what swing speed is there a cross-over where the Super Soft or similar balls starts hurting distance?  I recall the hullabaloo over Lady Precepts and as I remember, they weren't just popular with slower swing speed players.  

I found a Super Soft last week.....looks like a one hit wonder, so it's still in my bag.   With a 87 - 95 mph SS I will give it a whack.......or two.

Thanks for the info Stogies.

What happens distance wise if someone like JBones hits a Super Soft?  Or, better way to put it, at what swing speed is there a cross-over where the Super Soft or similar balls starts hurting distance?  I recall the hullabaloo over Lady Precepts and as I remember, they weren't just popular with slower swing speed players.  

As you can discern from my introductory comments; I am a senior player with a slower swing speed. Consequently I wouldn't have any idea at what swing speed point this ball ceases to perform. LOL     All I can say is that it does indeed perform for me; longer, straighter with less spin off the big Dawg driver and considerable feel and even a goodly amount of "drop and stop" on the greens.  I even tested it in torrential rain the other day and it performed remarkably well.  

However you or someone else with a faster SS may wish to test out the Super Soft, Wilson Staff Duo and Fifty Elite along with perhaps the DT So/LO and provide a review of their performance when compared to each other.  Would make for an interesting review/thread that even those with slower swing speeds may enjoy.  I know that I'd be interested in knowing how these low compression balls perform for you.

I found a Super Soft last week.....looks like a one hit wonder, so it's still in my bag.   With a 87 - 95 mph SS I will give it a whack.......or two.

Thanks for the info Stogies.

Methinks you're going to love this ball....I even managed to play nine holes in rainy weather the other day and it performed great! 

Please do check back to this thread and post your experience with the ball.

Cheers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Rosco!!

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Is it fair to call them the No. 1 iron, driver, wedge in golf? 
      Some notes below from a press release on just how domimate Titleist is on tour this year. 

PGA:  It was a Titleist Brand Ambassador 1-2-3 finish at the regular season-ending Wyndham Championship, where Titleist Brand Ambassador J.T. Poston earned his first career PGA TOUR victory … Poston finished one shot clear of Webb Simpson and two better than Ben An … Viktor Hovland (Pro V1), finished solo 4th, another shot back … Closing with a career-best eight-under par 62 en route to a tournament record-tying 22-under 258 victory total, Poston became the first player since 1974 to win a 72-hole stroke-play event on tour without any bogeys or worse … Simpson fired a final round 65 to secure his runner-up finish for the second straight week, while An, who held or shared the lead after each of the first three rounds, closed with a 67.
      >Eleven of the 12 players who finished among the top 10 and ties trusted Titleist golf balls for their success, and so did every other player who finished in the top 35 … That’s 34 of the top 35 finishers teed up a Pro V1 or Pro V1x with so much on the line at the PGA TOUR’s regular season finale.
      > Poston’s win advances the 2018-19 PGA TOUR victory total for Titleist golf ball players to 23, nearly four times the nearest competitor (6) and more than all other golf balls combined … A total of 120 (77%) players teed up a Titleist at the Wyndham Championship, more than eight times the nearest competitor with 14. 
      > What’s in the Titleist Bags of the top three finishers at the Wyndham Championship:
      J.T. Poston: Pro V1x, TS3 (9.5) driver, TS2 (15) fairway metal, 716 T-MB (3-5) and 718 AP2 (6-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching (46), gap (50), sand (55) and lob (60) wedges, Scotty Cameron GoLo putter.

Webb Simpson: Pro V1, TS3 (10.5) driver, TS2 (15) and 913Fd (18) fairway metals, 913Hd (20) and 915Hd (23.5) hybrids, New 620 MB (5-PW) irons, Vokey Design SM7 gap (54) and prototype lob (60) wedges.

Ben An: Pro V1x, TS3 (8.5) driver, U-500 2-iron, 716 T-MB (3-5) and 620 MB (6-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching (48), gap (52), sand (56) and prototype (60) lob wedges, Scotty Cameron TNP putter.

> For the second time this season, the Titleist brand swept all eight major equipment categories on both the PGA TOUR and Korn Ferry Tour in the same week ... It is an achievement that had never been accomplished until Titleist made history by sweeping the Travelers Championship and Wichita Open in June ... The eight major tee-through-green equipment categories include golf balls, drivers, fairway metals, hybrids, utility irons, irons, wedges and putters ... The recently introduced T100 irons were the most played single model at the event with 15 sets in play, while the TS3 driver was the field favorite with 34.
      > At the Wyndham Championship, Titleist was the top choice across every category for the 11th time this year ... The other tournaments in which Titleist has topped every major equipment category include: 3M Open, Rocket Mortgage Classic, Travelers Championship, AT&T Byron Nelson, Wells Fargo Championship, Corales Puntacana Championship, Valspar Championship, Honda Classic, Farmers Insurance Open and Sony Open in Hawaii ... This marks the fourth time on the Korn Ferry Tour that Titleist has swept the counts.

• By ncwoz
      All this talk of the MGS Hard Rock Challenge and the ball test recently has me thinking about the hardware...
      I know I *should* be gaming one model, and probably one I'm fit for at that. But the cheapskate in me just can't pass up on a free wayward ball, looking for a home. Nor can I bring myself to just toss the 24 pack of two piecers I walked away from Christmas with.
      So my question is this - what do you do with the random balls you might come across one way or another? Do you keep em all? Hit them into the woods? Do you have a threshold of quality that determines if it's a keeper or a leaver?
    • By cynogriffin
      This is a thread for those who are interested in reading or sharing golf ball comparisons! 
      Personally, I am in the stage of personal ball testing to try to find my next gamer for the next season or two. As such, I have been and am in the process of testing a variety of premium golf balls to see which fits my game and personal preferences. My posts in this site will be coming from off my new website (linked here for those who might want to check it out: https://griffinc6.wixsite.com/golfreviews) and will be in the form of a head to head matchup between two of the balls I am considering. During my tests, I will be taking two different models to the course and playing 9 holes with each in the same round, same day, and same conditions. In my posts, there won't be much in the way of technical data other than distance (measured via Shot Scope) but will rather be how I experienced the balls in terms of distance, spin, flight characteristics, performance and fell around the green, putting, quality, durability, and consistency. Once again, for my posts here, these are by no means a scientific test, but rather what I prefer, what I see, and how the balls perform for me. Therefore whatever performs for me might not translate to your game or your experiences with these products. I also invite everyone to post your own comparisons, head-to-heads, and reviews here as well!
      Now that that is out of the way, let the discussion begin!
    • By knightrider
      Hey Y'all,
      First time to the forum and I'm starting this thread fairly selfishly, but could be cool to see what everyone's recommendations for upgrades would be!
      Currently playing a set of Mizuno MP60's that I bought used about 10 years ago....long time.
      I always buy used clubs cause prices are just too crazy for me (still waiting on that lottery ticket to hit for that custom fitting experience).
      My question is: What would be y'all's recommendations for an iron set that's comparable to the MP 60's (I love the thin topline and forged heads), but a  newer set would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not too loyal to any brands but really interested to see what I should give a few whacks at my local golf store. 
      Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what everyone's playing and what everyone's drooling over. 
      P.S.    I've been looking at the Titelist AP2's
      Cheers Y'all!!!
    • By GregB135
      Spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the Tampa Bay Golffest event. A really nice though not especially large demo day event hosted by Tampa Bay Downs. Had a chance to hit some of the new offerings out there in the marketplace and some potential GolfSpy test candidates. 
      Hit several drivers. The new Mizuno ST, Ping G410, Wilson Cortex, and Cobra F9 Speedback. Keeping in mind it wasn't full fitting for each, but the reps did ask enough questions to get you close enough spec wise so you were hitting something close to your current gamer. Of the 4, my least favorite was the Mizuno, it just didn't have the same feel as the others. The Ping G410 just felt AWESOME. The Cobra felt good, like the ball was exploding off the face, but the ball flight was a little higher than my preference, and the ball was airborne for.....ever. The Cortex was a surprise. Felt good and solid, sound and ball flight were right there with all the others. I hit a smattering of irons, but wasn't focused enough on those to include data. The latest of the Mizuno JPX forged though was a very solid feeling club. In any case, I didn't put anything back on the rack thinking "boy that sucked" so be encouraged GolfSpy universe, there is some really good equipment coming out this year.
      Also spied some of the new Bridgestone e12 golf balls in the sale tent. I'm sure we are all waiting for the revelation of those testers (my fingers are crossed).
      Last, I got some Trackman style feedback on the effectiveness of the SuperSpeed training system (about to start week 9 for me). Participating in the skills contests, included 4 Trackman assessed shots with driver. With a mis-fit glove, no warm-up, no golf shoes, and a random selection of not my drivers to choose from, I got all 4 swings onto the grid with 3 going past 270 at 100mph. About a 15-20 yard gain from last season!! Still waiting on the promised email with the Trackman video/data and pro comparison.
      A pretty cool afternoon.

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!