TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter Stamps Gone Wild!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Putter stamping has become big business. It has become one of the most popular way to personalize a putter.

BUT...

What are your thoughts on stamping a putter? Is it now being over done? Do you like hand stamping?

LET'S HEAR YOUR OPINION AND SHOW OFF YOUR PUTTERS THAT HAVE BEEN CUSTOM STAMPED!

#TruthDigest

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like stampings that are done to personalize a putter, but nothing over the top, stamping everywhere you have open metal!... A stamp here and there can be done very tastefully

Owning a putter company I have to give my two cents. LOL

1. Some people put a few miner stamps, maybe a nickname or statement. They are happy on down the road.

2. The guys that go overboard on the stamps eventually end up ordering another putter with much less stamping saying that their first one was too busy. I try and tell everyone I talk to about this, but in the end it is up to them.

3. I do not like snow either.

Chris Jordan

23836_1246921490608_1156541241_30561961_4305609_s.jpg

Sunset Beach Custom Putters

Email me

Driver: Adams Fast 10 w/ Matrix Ozik TP6HD

3 Wood: Nickent 3dx Tour 3+ w/ UST Mamiya Black

5 Wood: Bridgestone J38 / Motore F1

Hybrid: TM Rescue TP 22* w/ UST Mamiya Black

4-PW: Bridgestone J38 Dual Pocket Cavity w/ Project X

52* and 58* - J38 Black Oxide w/ Project X

Putter - SSB Ocracoke in Oil-Rubbed Bronze

Ball - Srixon Z-Star Tour Diamond or Bridgestone B-330S

• SPY VIP

I am not a fan of the super-stamped putter either. Nor snow. However, I love the creative ways that stamping can make a putter suit the owner. Another thing to think about, and stir up the debate is engraving. Some like it, some do not. I have a Byron coming with an engraved surfboard in the cavity. Looks cool to me, but not everyone agrees. Sort of like choosing a putter in the first place.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Wow, I'm very surprised to find people who agree with me about hating snow (I always hate snow on putters, but I hate on the ground much more right now).

I like hand stamping and engraving. I think it offers the opportunity to make a putter more personal and it adds fun. One thing I don't like is the idea that stamps make a putter more valuable or more collectable (i.e. "this stamp is only going to be put on 10 putters, so it's really valuable"). That's not something I would pay for, ever. A putter's value/price, IMO, comes from the quality of the craftsmanship, headshape, material, etc.

Here's the stamping I have on all my customs (more or less). I like to put my name on them to keep me from hoing, and I think it just looks good on 006-style bumpers (I am Tiger Woods).

7774b8cab48839631267510088.jpeg

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I believe that after we have 50 posts we shall see that over 80% of the membership agrees that SNOW is one of the weaker stampings you can have done to personalize your flat stick! I know I feel that way as well.

:( Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

Black Label Johnny...LOL...this is hilarious! I was just listening to the show. Is this Gary? LOL!

I like stamping... makes it personal and/or one of a kind.

Here is mine. I'm sending it in again, different shop, for my new baby's name stamped.

#TruthDigest

BaBa Booey... TaTa Toothy... FaFa Fooey, one in the same. The great Gary Dell'Abate. I listen everyday. Not looking forward to the end of the year.

Off subject... I'm JohnRandolph918 on twitter... Not sure if i posted the links to this site correctly.

Cheers,

Johnny

MaMa Monkey ... sorry, couldn't resist :wub:

• SPY VIP

Wow, I'm very surprised to find people who agree with me about hating snow (I always hate snow on putters, but I hate on the ground much more right now).

I like hand stamping and engraving. I think it offers the opportunity to make a putter more personal and it adds fun. One thing I don't like is the idea that stamps make a putter more valuable or more collectable (i.e. "this stamp is only going to be put on 10 putters, so it's really valuable"). That's not something I would pay for, ever. A putter's value/price, IMO, comes from the quality of the craftsmanship, headshape, material, etc.

Here's the stamping I have on all my customs (more or less). I like to put my name on them to keep me from hoing, and I think it just looks good on 006-style bumpers (I am Tiger Woods).

Sweet stick Matt.

Volvo Intorqueo

The putters I personally own.. The less the better. When I look down I don`t want to see any stamping.This is my favorite putter

Good to see you here, Steve :blink:

The putters I personally own.. The less the better. When I look down I don`t want to see any stamping.This is my favorite putter

Hey Steve, great looking blade.

I definitely agree that as much as I love stamping, I don't want to see anything from address.

I have mine engraved and stamped.

IMG_5956 (Large).JPG

IMG_5957 (Large).JPG

IMG_5960 (Large).JPG

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Owning a putter company I have to give my two cents. LOL

1. Some people put a few miner stamps, maybe a nickname or statement. They are happy on down the road.

2. The guys that go overboard on the stamps eventually end up ordering another putter with much less stamping saying that their first one was too busy. I try and tell everyone I talk to about this, but in the end it is up to them.

3. I do not like snow either.

Great post. I haven't stamped any putter I own yet but I will definitely follow your advice. Don't discount the guy who talked about resale. Hey, tastes change over time and unless you have the money to collect putters and not have to sell them to reinvest in a new stick, then stamping is not something you should do unless the stamping you've done will appeal to others.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Great post. I haven't stamped any putter I own yet but I will definitely follow your advice. Don't discount the guy who talked about resale. Hey, tastes change over time and unless you have the money to collect putters and not have to sell them to reinvest in a new stick, then stamping is not something you should do unless the stamping you've done will appeal to others.

Initials do seem to kill value. Some of the makers and refinishers can do some cool things to cover some of it up. It may just be though if your name is Will Smith and you buy a cool putter with initials, you will now be known as "JR"

If seeking a gamer, and you don't mind the initials, you can score a great putter at a deep discount. If you do then sell it, you can probably get close to what you paid for it.

Volvo Intorqueo

Initials do seem to kill value. Some of the makers and refinishers can do some cool things to cover some of it up. It may just be though if your name is Will Smith and you buy a cool putter with initials, you will now be known as "JR"

If seeking a gamer, and you don't mind the initials, you can score a great putter at a deep discount. If you do then sell it, you can probably get close to what you paid for it.

Very true, if you don't care about other people's names/initials, you can get good bargains. It's also true the some refinishers do a great job getting rid of old initials. I sold a putter to someone because the initials on the face bothered me and he had Kevin Colbert re-mill the face and you've never know they were there. Obviously, that took off some weight, but it worked out nicely.

• SPY VIP

Very true, if you don't care about other people's names/initials, you can get good bargains. It's also true the some refinishers do a great job getting rid of old initials. I sold a putter to someone because the initials on the face bothered me and he had Kevin Colbert re-mill the face and you've never know they were there. Obviously, that took off some weight, but it worked out nicely.

I think I saw that one on PT. I was also thinking of the one that Byron did for someone as a remodel. Extra stamps. Changed the cavity stamping. Added colors. I am having issues with photos on PT after they changed design. OTw I would go find the one I am talking about. Funky would know.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived