TESTERS WANTED! ×

DIY Putter Counter-balance confusion

Hi all, 

I picked up a counter-balanced putter the other day and really liked the way that it felt.  Instead of spending $200 on a new putter, I decided that I wanted a DIY project (Cleveland Classic # 3, 35", head weight 340g).

I've been reading some info on counter-balancing putters in various forums, but now I'm more confused than anything.  

I understand the weighting options in the end of the shaft (clevis pin, carriage bolt, Tour Lock, etc...); my question is more about the length of the shaft.  

I've read that for it to be effective the weight should be above your hands; so should I add length to make my putter 37" or so and then add the weight in the shaft?  If so, I would assume that I would then choke down to the 35" range that I am accustomed to so the weight is above my hands.

Or could I keep the length at 35", add the weight, regrip (Superstoke mid-slim 2.0) and get the same effect?

Any help would be appreciated! 

It really comes down to personal preference.  I've heard both ways can work, and it's really just what you like the feel of best.  Go into a golf shop and test out various models to see if you really do have a preference.  Try some that are 35" vs some that are 37/38" and see if you can feel a difference and which one you like the best.

My other advice would be to install your grips with an air compressor.  That way if you don't like the feel you have very easily blow the grip off and change it.  It makes finding the right amount of weight much easier.  Drop in a clevis pin, put your grip on and test it out.  If you don't the like the feel put in an extension and try again.

FWIW i plan on doing this as well.  Already have my shaft, grip and clevis pin.  Just waiting on the putter head to come back after being sent out for some customizations.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I counterbalanced my White Hot Tour Lined and Filled and it's at 34".  I used a 2.5" clevis pin and it's made a big difference for me.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I picked up a Scotty off the used club rack a few months ago and noticed it was counter weighted.  I liked the feel of it just swinging it back and forth in the store and thought I would like to try weighting my putter.  

Today I started looking through a box of bolts and odds and ends for something that would work.  Nothing I had was the right size.  I have a lathe I've kept at the welding shop at work for years and recently brought it home.  So I took a 5/8" bolt with a smooth round head instead of a hex head and decided to make one.

IMG_20140301_183727_943.jpg

I turned it down to the O.D. of the shaft first and then started turning it down to the I.D. leaving a shoulder for the butt end at the top.  The I.D. of the shaft is .560" and I ended up cutting the bolt to .557".  It gave it just enough clearance to slip in without rattling.  You can see just a little bit of the threads left at the bottom.  I didn't need to use anything other than the grip to hold it in place.  I chamfered and stepped the bottom of it because it was just long enough to reach the first step of the shaft.  When I was done, it weighed in at 103 grams.  

I wanted to try it heavy at first and can always cut it shorter if I want it lighter.  So far, just putting in the living room, I absolutely love the feel of it.  I don't think I will change a thing.  We have a storm coming tomorrow it sounds like, so I probably won't get to the course until maybe next week.  But I think I'm going to like it.  Oh BTW, my putter is 34" but I always grip down toward the bottom of the grip leaving about an inch above my hands.  So I already had that length built in to it.

IMG_20140301_183745_554.jpg

Turning down a bolt works, or a clevis pin or I know some people that use Carriage bolts and they simply add nuts onto it to change the weight.  

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived