SLDR - Jetspeed.....so quite good then?

Our Sponsors

I'm like you westy.......straight, short and bad back......went through the same process and #JETSPEED with shorter, heavier fairway wood shaft works for ME! Custom ordered 10 5* #JETSPEED with t-69 regular flex......3.5* torque 68g shaft @ 45" .....playing Monday on unfamiliar course but will report back.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now now, short is comparative! Yeah alright I'm only a 240 yard man, mind you it's all carry....which is where I think I lose out most. Ok 240 in warm weather!

Interesting to hear how you get on at 45 inches, I think if I'm honest I grip down all my clubs a bit - probably an inch on the 3 wood. So I'd probably make the stock shaft more like 45.5

Hoping I can try a fair few shafts on Wednesday - will post flightscope numbers on my return.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I hit the range today with my new SLDR and my R11s. No launch monitor so I can only go my sight. I tried the SLDR at 12 one up and one down, weight one draw, neutral one fade. Regardless of the setting I was longer with the SLDR than the R11s. Lately I've been maxing out at around 240 but realistically I'm between 225 and 235. Around 210 carry plus the roll out.

I scoped everything so I had good targets to shoot at and a very clear line of sight to see the ball land and run out. There was a flag at 219 with a tree to the right at 249 and a pole to the left at 253. I hit several drives at 12 degrees that reached the flag and rolled out either to the tree or the pole depending upon the side I was aiming for. I believe that I hit everyone either right or left of the flag depending upon where I wanted it to go. I clearly was hitting the SLDR 15 yards farther than my current driver.

The one setting I didn't like was the up one. Too big a draw with a closed face. It was exacerbated by the wind to boot. It drew too much even at the fade setting.

I handled the llonger shaft fine. Just gripped down a bit. Guessing I was playing it at 45". It's going out on the course Tuesday so we will see.

Good luck Westy.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Turns out 46 inches may not be that big an issue, checked the specs and my 09 Burner is actually 46.25!

So I'm gripping down a tiny bit and still playing at best part of 46.

My clubhead speed when last on flightscope was a very consistent 93/94 mph, doubt it'll have changed much. If I drop shaft length will I lose clubhead speed?

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Turns out 46 inches may not be that big an issue, checked the specs and my 09 Burner is actually 46.25!

So I'm gripping down a tiny bit and still playing at best part of 46.

My clubhead speed when last on flightscope was a very consistent 93/94 mph, doubt it'll have changed much. If I drop shaft length will I lose clubhead speed?

That's wierd only because TMag measures its shafts differently and they are normally 1/8 to 1/4 shorter than published.  But that may be a recent change.

I have to say that I didn't have the problems that I thought I would with the longer shaft in the SLDR but couldn't find a way to hit the sweet spot with the Jetspeed - everything and I mean everything was in the heel with that club.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

To be fair I'm going on the only specs I could find on the internet - so I suppose they could be wrong. But the 09 is now 5 years obsolete (5 years and 31 other drivers in TM terms!).

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Funny thing.  TMaG releases.  Looking at the pure #'s, TMaG did not release the most products last year....

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 18.0 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ Hogan GS53 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W Hogan GS52 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 4I-AW @ Hogan Ft Worth
* 56 @ Cleveland RTX
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Snell MTB-X

Possibly not, but who's betting SLDR and jetspeed have a brother of some kind by the time of the US pga?

I guess callaway released the most last year?

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Rev, I've found that to neutralize this head, go one either direction and two the opposite direction with the weight. The hot spot setting seems to be one closed (higher loft) with the weight 2 clicks toward fade. I've gotten the best distance with it like that on the 460. I've only hit balls into the pasture behind my house this far with the 430.

And for those wondering, the 14* driver is now shipping

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks I'll give it a try. My best setting so far has been totally neutral. I got a wow from my buddy who was with me. It really launched how and hopped like a rabbit when it hit the ground.

I'm playing with Toke tomorrow. That's always an adventure.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Now now, short is comparative! Yeah alright I'm only a 240 yard man, mind you it's all carry....which is where I think I lose out most. Ok 240 in warm weather!

Interesting to hear how you get on at 45 inches, I think if I'm honest I grip down all my clubs a bit - probably an inch on the 3 wood. So I'd probably make the stock shaft more like 45.5

Hoping I can try a fair few shafts on Wednesday - will post flightscope numbers on my return.

OK westy.....two rounds.......7/14 first round on unfamiliar layout and not accustomed to club; 11/13 in round two......I enjoyed hitting this higher, straighter and longer than anything for some time now........had about 4 over 270.......THIS CLUB WANTS TO BE SWUNG AGGRESSIVELY! Very stable through impact. ......shot shaping is subtle. ......EXCITED! don't forget I'm using a 20g heavier shaft too.

Rev, I've found that to neutralize this head, go one either direction and two the opposite direction with the weight. The hot spot setting seems to be one closed (higher loft) with the weight 2 clicks toward fade. I've gotten the best distance with it like that on the 460. I've only hit balls into the pasture behind my house this far with the 430.

And for those wondering, the 14* driver is now shipping

Okay played today with it for the first time. Tried the Rookie setting on the range but went neutral on the course. The guy I played with is generally 20 yards longer than I am when we both flush it. Not today! I was neck and neck with him, slightly behind a few time and actually slightly ahead on one where we both cranked it. I was a little tentative into the wind because it flies so high until I realized that the ball still got out there remarkably well. It flies high but doesn't balloon.

I think I need to move the weight one or two towards fade. I'd like a little less draw.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

well then that was interesting and a bit weird!  Swing wasnt in good nick tonight, but I was very surprised by the results.  The impact of the swing being off i think was really seen in some of the lateral distances and low smash numbers.

anyway, i didn't really enjoy hitting either Taylormade tonight, im not sure if on another day results would be different, possibly so.  Tried a number of shafts, loft settings and positions of sldr weight.  Then worked my way through a load of other drivers in the test area....

Ive put a few of the results in a table below

drivers.png

I know the SLDR spin is high and smash is low, im sure i could get this working for me with time but damn that Nike was great from the moment I put it behind the ball (set at 9.5 slight draw).  Oh and it was the normal covert didnt like the tour.  It was also easily the straightest.

when i brought loft down below 11.5 with the SLDR it went very wrong indeed......given how bad I actually hit the Jetspeed and SLDR the distances werent bad.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Anyone can see the Nike is for you. That's pretty convincing evidence. The lateral was off the charts straight.

How about those spin numbers for the xhot?

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Yep not much spin! Only had pro version available but I reckon as with covert the normal version would work better for me. I never really know what's good and bad with spin though.

The other thing of course is how you feel over a driver, the nike of all of them just felt right. The callaway felt pretty good as well and sounded good. It's a shame the nike is bright red!

Also tried the cobra biocell, ping i25 and g25 - I was exhausted by the end of the session, yet the nike was the last one I hit and got the best results.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

That Nike looks like a winner for you. It always continues to amaze me how the same equipment performs so differently even for golfers with similar swings. I think how we feel about the club, it's look, it's sound, has a lot to do with it.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

I notice you were tired out by the swing speed with the Nike, but lo and behold, the "LM Carnival game" of swinging out of one's shoes had ended by then, so that Nike was probably hit under more typical physical conditions that simulated walking a round of golf. You could hit that one well still by hole #18 on a hot day more than likely.

For what it's worth, I have taken only a few swipes with SLDR and they were horrible. Contrast to a friend's original Covert Performance that I've also only taken a couple swipes with that were dead straight and long. I've taken massive crap for only hitting sldr a few times, but I am good enough to tell and know what I see for the resulting flight. And yes, if it wasn't red, the Nike might find a spot. Cobra has what, 7 colors available? Hey Nike, how about adding a BLACK head? Thanks!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• SPY VIP

Covert looks good there, but I've become incredibly dubious of simple charts (without know what goes into them). I've spent an exhaustive amount of time developing our testing protocols, and an insane amount of time in the last month talking to the guys who run club testing for a handful of OEMs. There's a lot to consider, even when just testing a few clubs on your own.

How many shots did you hit with each club? Were they hit consecutively, one at a time, or in smaller sequences? Did you drop any shots? If so, what criteria was used to determine what to drop? Were there any additional considerations when calculating your averages?

Not knowing that stuff your launch angle, (or what launch monitor was used - they all have their quirks), but looking at what's in front of me, I'd say this:

Covert looks very good.

JetSpeed and X2 Hot are non-factors. The swing and ball speed isn't there, which suggests either poor performance or a lack of interest on your part. Either way...don't buy.

As for SLDR...again, not knowing sample sizes, if you're missing by 50 yards on average with anything, it's probably not the club. We never see 45 yards between best and worst with anyone.

The human factor is difficult to overcome. Swing speed differences could be due to fatigue. That's a possibility for sure, especially if you were hitting an unnecessarily high number of shots with each - and the other drivers you tested.

I look at your SLDR numbers and the swing speed is a huge red flag (actual size of the flag depends on the launch monitor). My initial though it is overswinging. What were your preconceptions of each club going into this? Which did you think you'd like, or more aptly, which did you want to like? Which were you least interested in? Which did you have the fewest preconceptions or a more general curiosity about?

All of this stuff matters. What we've found in testing is that we generally get the most consistent numbers from clubs where our testers don't have any strong opinions either way. If they like a club (or want to like a club) the tendency is to overswing to cook the books a bit and achieve the desired results. If they don't like a club, we fight a tendency to mail it in (swing and ball speed numbers drop), but when there's ambiguity to their feelings towards a club we get more consistent (not necessarily better) results in general.

All of that said, I love the Covert 2.0 (and good news, Divots, a black one is coming).

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

As always nice analysis from T.

Where are you at with this Westy?  Have you tested again?

I have clearly discovered that I hit my SLDR best at neutral (12 degrees) and one click towards to the fade side.  My swing speed was between 94-96 on the launch monitor at Golfsmith, (that's high end for me) lauch angle was consistently at 15 degrees and spin rate in the lower 2,000s - I was carrying it 225 according to their numbers so I was very happy - It's about what I'm seeing when I'm on the course.  I hit it very straight at that setting.  I'm getting some out there in the 250 range total distance.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5