TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cooperative Member Reviews! Bridgestone 2014 Ball Lineup

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a funny thing.  Bridgestone has the marketing / ball fitting right.  Went through that some years ago.  Tested the ball that came out of the fitting.  Hated it.  Tested some other Bridgestones, hated them as wel.  They just felt like s*** to me, hard and clicky, so I keep playing with my beloved soft AD333.  Is the feel something Bridgestone worked on over the past couple of years, should I give them a second chance ?

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

It's a funny thing.  Bridgestone has the marketing / ball fitting right.  Went through that some years ago.  Tested the ball that came out of the fitting.  Hated it.  Tested some other Bridgestones, hated them as wel.  They just felt like s*** to me, hard and clicky, so I keep playing with my beloved soft AD333.  Is the feel something Bridgestone worked on over the past couple of years, should I give them a second chance ?

Well, you're going to have to find another ball as Srixon is no longer marketing the AD333.  I liked it as well and here in the US, you got them for $19.99/dozen. I believe the AD was replace with the Qstar.

As for the Bridgestones....yes I definitely believe they have listened to the masses and the balls have changed.  I was using the e6 until the test and since trying the B330RX & RXS, I am angry.  Angry that I now like a golfball that costs $48/dozen.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If feel is all your worried about, these felt great across every club including putter.  I really liked this ball off the tee, but didn't like it as much getting into the short irons and down.  So yes, probably a good idea to give them another chance.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

There is a local'ish Bridgestone ball fitting challenge next weekend I'm going to try and hitup to see what they suggest.  By reading the description it's a driver only test though so that might affect what they suggest vs what I would like on the shorter shots.

Ping G30 driver 9.0 Tour 65 X 45"
Cobra Bio-Cell 3-wood ATX Tour Blue TX75 42.5"

Cobra Bio-Cell 3-4 Hybrid Irod 85F5 40.5"
Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW KBS Tour S+
Titleist SM4 wedges 56 & 60.
Ping Tomcat C with Super Stroke 3.0 grip

Bridgestone B330

I was the one who gave the Bridgestones a D on putting.  At the time of this test, before the spring growth, our greens were lightening fast.  These balls being different than what I was used to off the putter literally cost me 10-12 strokes per round.  This went on for two weeks before I had some type of feel for them, but even after that I thought they were still costing me 3-4 strokes.

Then along came the spring growth and a letter from the course superintendent saying that they were going to slow down the greens to allow the new growth to take better root.  Longer leaves meant more sunlight meant better root system meant better longer lasting greens.

Had I have done this test after the greens slowed way down, I would have given them a C or perhaps a B-.  I really do not like any ball that feels "clicky" off the putter. 

I also had a lot of trouble initially with the B330S.  It felt like a Top Flight or other hard ball off the wedges, but was a spin machine.  I found this very difficult to adjust too.  It would feel hot off the face and like a ball that was going to run out, yet it would check up and stop.  This gave me a lot of trouble but I eventually did grow accustom to this.  I never did the putter.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I nailed a young oak tree yesterday with a B330RXS. I was using my 3 wood to draw my drive on a severe dogleg left. I pulled it too much and it slammed directly into the tree. I found the ball just 4 feet from the tree. Upon examination, there was no mark whatsoever on the ball! I could not believe it, just a bit of brown that washed off with a wet rag. Not only are these balls long, they are also durable!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I nailed a young oak tree yesterday with a B330RXS. I was using my 3 wood to draw my drive on a severe dogleg left. I pulled it too much and it slammed directly into the tree. I found the ball just 4 feet from the tree. Upon examination, there was no mark whatsoever on the ball! I could not believe it, just a bit of brown that washed off with a wet rag. Not only are these balls long, they are also durable!

They really are remarkably durable.  I played 15 some holes with a single ball and you could have sold it as "mint" on ebay (before I hit it in the drink)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I played 27 holes with the same ball today and it looked better then a lethal i played for 6 holes.  The durability is great.

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

For starters Thanks to WD for making us sound somewhat articulate.

I have to say that with a little time under my belt that like others I'm finding the durability of these balls to be off the charts. I've playing 36 holes with an RX and after wasting it you can't tell the difference between it and one I haven't used. The one thing I haven't had a chance to check is whether or not there's much difference between the RX and the regular B330 distance wise. Perhaps today?

Regardless this ball remains very stable in the wind for me. It's a huge uptick from past iterations, particularly the RX. If it were a bit less expensive I'd strongly consider playing it. My custom is to play the firmer tour ball model that's being phased out. I generally need between three and four dozen balls a season.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev, that's what I saw........the ability to play multiple rounds with a single ball!

Alright I had a great chance to test balls today. We teed off at 3:18, there was no one ahead of us and a group of first tee kids walking behind us. I played two balls on every hole after we opened up a gap on 2.

I am certainly longer with the RX than then regular B330. About 5 yards or so. However I am longer with the new taylor made tp x or the old lethal by another 5 yards than the RX. I hit all three of those balls the same distance off the irons and all hold the green fine for me.

In the end I'm confident that I will be playing the lethal this season. I hit the ball very well today btw, it was windy so I got a great test of all the balls that I might play.

I have 2 sleeves of B330s in my bag plus one ball left from the original sleeve I was testing. I traded a sleeve with Foz and have the full sleeve of 330 RXs that I got from him. I don't loose many balls. I did loose a couple today because the course was so tight and I hit so many shots. My first ball was great all day, sometimes I don't focus as well on the second one.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes, BUT, I'm in Europe.  We still have the AD333.  No Qstar here.

But then again, I have a sneaky suspicion the Qstar is just a rebadged AD333.  :-)

And when I read RoverRick's contribution about his putting woes, clicky feel off the putter, hard feel off the wedges ... it reminds me of why I discarded the Bridgestones in the first place ...

Well, you're going to have to find another ball as Srixon is no longer marketing the AD333.  I liked it as well and here in the US, you got them for $19.99/dozen. I believe the AD was replace with the Qstar.

As for the Bridgestones....yes I definitely believe they have listened to the masses and the balls have changed.  I was using the e6 until the test and since trying the B330RX & RXS, I am angry.  Angry that I now like a golfball that costs $48/dozen.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

By all means use what works best. If anything this test demonstrates that there is no right ball across the board and that all of us may be adjusting to the ball that we play. I always tell my friend to pick a ball, any ball, and stick with it. There are differences between them. I don't think there's any ball currently on the market that should cause a 12 stroke swing in anyone's game but if you're used to one type and get another it will make some difference somewhere along the line gpbeyond a doubt.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks for doing this test guys. Based on your feedback it looks like it may be time to give these Bridgestones a shot again. I went through the online fitting a couple of years ago and tried the 330 and the rx. Couldn't really make much happen with that ball that made me want to make the switch. Time to get a new sleeve of each.

I also noticed how durable they are too. But I would rank ball durability slightly lower on my priority list than feel off the putter, or spin. I'd be one of your weird testers that really wanted the ball to feel well on the putter.

Thanks for doing this test guys. Based on your feedback it looks like it may be time to give these Bridgestones a shot again. I went through the online fitting a couple of years ago and tried the 330 and the rx. Couldn't really make much happen with that ball that made me want to make the switch. Time to get a new sleeve of each.

I also noticed how durable they are too. But I would rank ball durability slightly lower on my priority list than feel off the putter, or spin. I'd be one of your weird testers that really wanted the ball to feel well on the putter.

The RX had a click off the putter, the RXS did not. I tested both and liked the RXS better.

I couldn't help but laugh at WD's opening statement talking about how we are so contradictory and all over the place with our reviews. I would not want to be in his position wanting to pull my hair out cause some amateur like myself saying it didn't spin enough but a little too much. Kudos for gathering all the reviews together.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

The RX had a click off the putter, the RXS did not. I tested both and liked the RXS better.

Thats good to hear because my swing speed is right there at around 100-105 mark - which makes the RXS the ideal fit.  There are so many options in the 330 line that its a little bit fuzzy on exactly what you need.

I've been playing the Callaway SR2 and really like it.  So right now I'd sort of flip around between the Pro V, SR2 and give the RXS a shot. 

So I read through each ball and fit myself into the RXS, then used their fitter and it suggested the B330.  Kinda weird because I felt like I used the same criteria to fit myself as the criteria I entered into the little drop downs.

If you said you were concerned about distance you'd get the B330 or B330rx

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I couldn't help but laugh at WD's opening statement talking about how we are so contradictory and all over the place with our reviews. I would not want to be in his position wanting to pull my hair out cause some amateur like myself saying it didn't spin enough but a little too much. Kudos for gathering all the reviews together.

Lol. You have no idea :)

Was fun to write though.

• 6 months later...

I wanted to revisit this one or make a comment about it as the season ends for many of us but continues in places like......Florida where I have a huge tournament next weekend and another one New Years.

I have flirted with Bridgestone balls for the past six years or so even using some rendition of their pro line balls a couple of times as my staple.

I have never liked the RX even if I get the concept and so even though the fitting device suggested I use it I didn't test it. However I did trade with Foz for a sleeve and even though that was in February I still have a couple of those balls left. I have to say it is the best ball that I tested or tried this entire season and now that the price is started to come down I picked up a dozen the other day. I will use it for both of my tournaments.

Of course as this test recalled balls are very individualized things and feel can be very deceptive because it's not quantifiable - I can't know what you feel.

For me though the hydrocore pops. I'm five plus yards longer with this ball than the old RX editions and it seems much softer off the club. It is clearly more stable as well and has a great launch.

I'd say that if you have a moderate swing speed and are looking for green side performance then this is a ball you should try. The RX is a bit firmer and will spin a little less but go farther than the RXS. BTW I still have a few B330's as well. I am a touch longer with those but don't like the trajectory that I get at all, too low for my taste.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Happy T-Day Rev.....

I think I still have a few 330RXS balls, but as the price is a bit high, I moved on to test others, such as the Master Grip C4 Tour @ $20/dozen. If you like the Pro V1 but don't want to pay the price, then this could be your ball.

I also tried the Kick X Tour, which Inreally liked but again, a little pricey @ $40/dozen.

I tried the two piece softies this year but keep wanting to go back to the Bridgestone's ......any chance the 330RXS balls will go on sale? If so, then I am game.

I don't like the RXs' but to answer your question there are any number of places over here that have them for 37.95.

I like the kick tours plenty fine but like the RX balls better.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived