Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What do you think drivers will look like in 10 years?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

With all the USGA limitations on drivers what technologies do you think club makers will implement in drivers in the next 10 years to get around the current rulings?

#TruthDigest

This is a good question. I think we are getting past the era of the square club heads that were created a few years ago. Sure there are a few still lingering around, but a lot of companies seemed to have scrapped the idea. I really don't know if shape will be the main factor anymore. I can see OEM's starting to look at different materials to manufacture their club heads with. All in all, who knows what will happen, but it should be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Like the one Rodney Dangerfield used in Caddyshack. Just point and shoot.

You know the USGA and R & A won't let that happen...if they changed wedge rules they would absolutely flip out over a club like that.

Remember the recent MyGolfSpy preview of the sketches of the Callaway C-shaped driver? That could be a good example of what may be in store for us down the road.

I gotta find that link at a later time, but if any of you know what I'm talking about, please post it here if you have the chance.

I hope the shape doesn't change. I'm all for changes in technology, but lets keep some things the same, I mean golf is a sport of traditions, and it seems like the manufacturers are forgetting that and making it about the money...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I am all for changes in material but I prefer a tradtional shape and design. This is probably why I tend to favor Titleist & Mizuno. I am all for the look of the Titleist drivers like the 907 and 909. I hope some brands keep the traditionl looks alive.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

I would guess that in 10 years it will be somewhat similar to our current situation: there will be many traditional shaped drivers, and there will be a handful of drivers that are unusually shaped. I don't think we'll ever see the death of traditional shaped drivers, too many people are comfortable with that look and the companies will give us what we are willing to pay for.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I think rather than any major changes in the materials used, or a radical change or adoption of any particular shape, manufactures will look at physical changes. Like they are experimenting with aerodynamics (Adams Speed Fast 10, Nike Machspeed, TM Superfast) and physical compression like in the Nike VR driver with the red compression channel. I think more development will be done with how a golf ball reacts to not just the face of the driver (like Callaway's or Mizuno's driver face technology) but the entire club itself. How the physical characteristics of the driver can promote a straighter and more penetrating ball flight. And i'm not talking about geometric shapes, but more along the lines of what Nike has in mind for the VR drivers.

Looks wise, I think they will be very similar. Even though they are much larger than they were 15 years ago, the basic driver still looks the same. Yes, we have some in square or triangle, but you still see a classic, pear shape. I think most of the changes will be in materials, weight placement, etc.

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

I think most of the changes will be in materials, weight placement, etc.

Along those lines, it'll probably be interesting to see how shaft technology progresses in the future; and what/how composites are used in driver's head to lighten the crown, reposition weight, etc.

• SPY VIP

Materials will be big! I know of one that is being worked on right now that could change the way all drivers are made. Have to wait and see what comes of it.

Along those lines, it'll probably be interesting to see how shaft technology progresses in the future; and what/how composites are used in driver's head to lighten the crown, reposition weight, etc.

#TruthDigest

Materials will be big! I know of one that is being worked on right now that could change the way all drivers are made. Have to wait and see what comes of it.

Oh, come on! What kind of teaser is that? "Change the way ALL drivers are made"?!?! You've gotta give up something more than that!

...please?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Longer shafts for sure, and I think we're going to start seeing some non-conforming drivers from the big companies.

Jamie

Titleist

D3 9.5 Oban Devotion 7

F3 13 Oban Devotion 7

909H 17 Rombax 8D07HB

AP2 710 4- PW Project X

Vokey 52,56,60 Project X

Newport Buttonback

you know what would be cool is normal heads airbrushed to look like the old woods... now steel, no script, just wood..

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Funky designs, an emphasis put on aerodynamics, 48 inch shafts (the USGA limit, you know someone will do it), and loads of adjustability.

Do you think that there will be a short shaft option. At some point you may start to lose the casual players. If AK can win some majors, maybe shorter drivers will be the thing.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think we'll see more and more MOI centric drivers. You'll probably see less peared shaped drivers as time goes by.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I think that this year you are starting to see some of the blowback from the 5x5 drivers, and geometric shapes we all had to deal with the late few years. More and more clubs are getting back to traditional looks and sounds, with modern day performance. I look for this trend to continue. Drivers in 10 years will be 380cc, but have the forgiveness of a 600cc clubhead.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

I think that this year you are starting to see some of the blowback from the 5x5 drivers, and geometric shapes we all had to deal with the late few years. More and more clubs are getting back to traditional looks and sounds, with modern day performance. I look for this trend to continue. Drivers in 10 years will be 380cc, but have the forgiveness of a 600cc clubhead.

I think that the trend will also be away from graphics and toward interesting metallic finishes. Just thinking about putter finishes. If you could get an oil can or mystic pearl finish on a driver...

Volvo Intorqueo

Do you think that there will be a short shaft option. At some point you may start to lose the casual players. If AK can win some majors, maybe shorter drivers will be the thing.

I think it will split into 2 distict categories: the tour designed clubs, and the SGI clubs. The tour ones will have shorter shafts, traditional design, that stuff. All of the radical technology will go into the SGI clubs.

• SPY VIP

Maybe something like this.........

future-shock_299x272.jpg

from tis article

http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1914393,00.html

That is not for me...

But it did get me thinking of another potential option, mechanical elements. The Nike VR driver has the red compression groove or whatever. Supposed to give more of a trampoline action at impact, I think. Maybe something like this, but less overt. Hidden inside maybe.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think that the trend will also be away from graphics and toward interesting metallic finishes. Just thinking about putter finishes. If you could get an oil can or mystic pearl finish on a driver...

I agree with the premise that traditional shapes are on the way back. Adjustability, at least for the high end drivers, is here to stay. I'm not sure the interchangeable shaft thing is going to survive unless they can come up with a better cost model. Perhaps different materials?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good question. I think we are getting past the era of the square club heads that were created a few years ago. Sure there are a few still lingering around, but a lot of companies seemed to have scrapped the idea. I really don't know if shape will be the main factor anymore. I can see OEM's starting to look at different materials to manufacture their club heads with. All in all, who knows what will happen, but it should be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I agree. I think most OEM's learned a important lesson on what shape or style we want. Square didn't sell. I look for the shape or style to stay pretty much the same now with the big push in construction materials, which of course is already happening.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Archived