Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TaylorMade Introduces Ghost Spider Si Putter

• SPY VIP

spider-si-1.jpg

Because it's one of those days that ends in "Y", TaylorMade has yet another press release. 

Man, I know some of you are going to have less than positive things to say about the volume of product (and subsequent noise) coming out of TaylorMade right now, but you have to give them some amount of credit here. They are absolutely relentless as far as keeping their name on an almost daily basis right now. 

Anyway...the TMaG product du jour is the new Ghost Spider Si Putter. Like much of what's come out of TaylorMade's putter department lately, the Spider Si is a counterbalanced model (available in 35" or 38"). Like all of 'em it's got an insert (this one is the Surlyn PureRoll type). And really, what we're actually talking about is the addition of a new, high MOI, shape in the putter lineup.

I think the guys who visited TMaG HQ in January got a first-hand look at this one.

Wondering if this putter is for you? Here's what TaylorMade's relatively new Iron, Wedge, and Putter guy, Tomo Bystedt has to say about it:

“It's the perfect putter for players who want the benefits of a high MOI head and counterbalanced stroke stability in a clean, elegant design."

And So here's your press release:

TaylorMade Golf Company Introduces the 
Ghost Spider Si Putter

High MOI mallet features counterbalance grip to promote 
stability and consistency

CARLSBAD, Calif. (March 12, 2014) – TaylorMade Golf Company, a leader in golf equipment innovation, today announced the newest member of its popular “Ghost Spider” series putter models. Introducing the Ghost Spider Si, a high MOI (moment of inertia) counterbalanced putter that is one of the most consistent and forgiving putters the company has introduced.

image018.jpgimage019.jpg

The large 380-gram head coupled with a 15-inch, 130-gram counterbalanced grip helps promote exceptional stability, control and feel. 

What is “counterbalancing”? While the typical putter has one light end (grip) and one heavy end (head), putting more weight in the grip to counterbalance the weight of the head increases the MOI of the entire club, from top to bottom, which makes it 50 percent more stable and much easier to keep the head on path – something the company calls “Stroke Stability.”*

The Ghost Spider Si, which debuted at the Humana Challenge, has been played on a weekly basis by a number of Tour professionals including Rory Sabbatini, Fred Funk, Retief Goosen and Lucas Glover.

"The player excitement on Tour over counterbalanced putters drove the creation of the Ghost Spider Si,” said Tomo Bystedt, TaylorMade Golf's Director of Product Creation for Irons, Putters and Wedges. “It's the perfect putter for players who want the benefits of a high MOI head and counterbalanced stroke stability in a clean, elegant design."

The counterbalance concept was validated in a major way when TaylorMade staffer Justin Rose used a Ghost Spider Blade to win the 2013 U.S. Open.

Performance of the Ghost Spider Si also comes from an exceptionally high MOI. The MOI in traditional blade and mallet putter ranges from 3500-4500. The Ghost Spider Si has an MOI of more than 6000 which makes the putter head more resistant to twisting at impact and helps protect ball speed and distance-control on off-center hits.

Aesthetically, the Ghost Spider Si features a simple yet innovative design. The white head contrasts nicely with the green to promote additional alignment benefits. 

image020.jpg

The PureRoll Surlyn® insert promotes soft-yet-solid feel and a smooth roll straight off the face.

Pricing, Options and Availability

The Spider Si putter is offered in a 35 or 38-inch shaft. Players grip the club as they would a normal-length putter, with 2 or 3 inches of the butt-end of the grip extended above their hands, which provides the maximum benefit of counterbalancing. The 38-inch length is engineered for players who normally play a 35-inch length while the 35-inch model is built for the player who favors a 33-inch length. Players who favor a 34-inch length can choose between either 35 or 38 inches.

Available this Friday, March 14, the Ghost Spider Si is priced at $199. For more information, please visit taylormadegolf.com.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Yes we saw this.  I wanted to test it out, but this was on the Tour Truck, so we couldn't. It is honestly the only TM putter that I have a deep interest in, but this one I want enough to consider purchasing it.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Yep, that thing was beautiful in person.  It also may have helped that the tour versions have the stock black shaft, and I thought the model we saw in the tour truck had the same short slant neck as the Spider S Slant.  However I can't find the picture right now.  Maybe Dan or Will has it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm sure TM is really making quality stuff that is maybe getting even better, but there is so much of it that their marketing, press releases, etc., have become just noise to me. That said, this putter apparently does feature "...a simple yet innovative design". It does look cool.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• SPY VIP

Gotta say I like the all black face better than the one with red.

I wish that the whole thing was black.

I wish there was a whole black sabertooth for that matter.

and I wish for world peace, of course.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

This putter looks nice.  I liked the spider, but I always thought the head was a little big, and I like the counterbalanced grip.  Taylormade's 2014 lineup is looking really good from the sldr, the tour prefered irons and wedges, these new putters, and the new balls. 

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Thanks Will, I loved that putter and the tour version is SO much better looking than the standard. 

I'll just be waiting to see if the slant neck version comes to retail.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• 6 years later...
5 minutes ago, Mark Allen said:

I have damaged my left handed spider si, (72) noted on bottom, 38 inches. I need to replace asap

I would try browsing EBay for a used one or calling TM customer service. As old as the putter is I’m not sure what TM could do, unless it is repairable.  

Can you share with us what happened to the putter, or post pictures of the damage?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO