TESTERS WANTED! ×

SLDR vs R1 on the launch monitor.....Round 1

BK in TEXAS

I went to Golfsmith to use their launch monitor for some numbers on the B330s I'm helping review. So....while I was there I figured I'd check out the SLDR and hit it against my R1.

The guy helping me....cannot call him a "fitter"...was real nice but seemed overly interested in keeping the launch angle down....which I thought odd.

My R1 numbers look good to my completely untrained eye.

It looks like there might be some yards to gain by "lofting up" the SLDR ??

What I did find interesting was that....even set all the way to FADE.....the SLDR went 31 yards further left than the R1.

SLDRvR1.png

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

You're almost at the vaunted "17/1700" that TM is pushing for SLDR with your current club.

I think these numbers demonstrate certain swing speeds still benefit from some spin on the ball to keep it aloft longer. Doesn't look like there is anything to be gained at 10º, anyway. Any reason you didn't hit the 12º head while you were there to avoid conjecture if it would be better?

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

You need to loft up son! Did he try this at 10.5-12*? I'm not saying the SLDR is better, but from what I know you could have benefited from 400rpm more spin.

This guy was really pretty anti-loft and I didn't want to get into it with him....so....No didn't try lofting up.  That will be round 2 when he's not working ;)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Quick question though.....will the shaft I have in my R1 work in the SLDR?

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Quick question though.....will the shaft I have in my R1 work in the SLDR?

It will fit, but you will not know what thte loft settings are when you go to adjust it.. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I went to Golfsmith to use their launch monitor for some numbers on the B330s I'm helping review. So....while I was there I figured I'd check out the SLDR and hit it against my R1.

The guy helping me....cannot call him a "fitter"...was real nice but seemed overly interested in keeping the launch angle down....which I thought odd.

My R1 numbers look good to my completely untrained eye.

It looks like there might be some yards to gain by "lofting up" the SLDR ??

What I did find interesting was that....even set all the way to FADE.....the SLDR went 31 yards further left than the R1.

Was the weight SLD all the way to fade, and the loft set at N??  If so, try a 12* head set to lower, and SLD the weight all the way to the Toe... 

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

This guy was really pretty anti-loft and I didn't want to get into it with him....so....No didn't try lofting up.  That will be round 2 when he's not working ;)

I knew you were too nice of a guy.  I would have pointed out that I did not give a flying f### what he wanted I wanted to try more loft.  But then again, I am not necessarily know for my why can't we all get along attitude.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

It will fit, but you will not know what thte loft settings are when you go to adjust it.. 

There is no correlation....such as 12 on the r1 would equal "higher" on the SLDR ?

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Was the weight SLD all the way to fade, and the loft set at N??  If so, try a 12* head set to lower, and SLD the weight all the way to the Toe...

Yes.   Thanks...I'll try that combo.  I really want to try it with my current shaft too.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I knew you were too nice of a guy.  I would have pointed out that I did not give a flying f### what he wanted I wanted to try more loft.  But then again, I am not necessarily know for my why can't we all get along attitude.

LOL...they let me use their LM for the Bridgestone B330s testing for free...then let me hit a bunch of balls with both the SLDR and my R1 for free too.  If I was paying for anything I'd have had a bit different attitude :)

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• SPY VIP

Quick math suggests you could add another 2° to the SLDR and still be under 2000 RPM. Of course if you're missing left, you're probably de-lofting as well. Definitely try that 12°. Based on your misses, I would rather keep the face square than close down a 10.5­° to try and get more loft.

Under 1500 or so, and definitely by 1300 is where the ball flight models suggest lack of spin actually becomes a problem. Don't tell Callaway I said this, but you need to add spin too.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

There is no correlation....such as 12 on the r1 would equal "higher" on the SLDR ?

There is a correlation, but I don't have an R1 tip in front of me.  I believe neutral on the R1 is the 10° position correct?  So putting it into the SLDR in that position would equal whatever the stated loft on the head is.  i.e. 10.5 in the 10.5 head and 12 in the 12 head.  R1 adjusts 2° either way so you can just add or subtract to get what the actual loft is you are playing.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Ooh so if we set it at neutral ie. my shaft in my r11 s will it be 12 degrees in the SLDR? Inquiring minds really want to know and totally respect your answer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There is a correlation, but I don't have an R1 tip in front of me.  I believe neutral on the R1 is the 10° position correct?  So putting it into the SLDR in that position would equal whatever the stated loft on the head is.  i.e. 10.5 in the 10.5 head and 12 in the 12 head.  R1 adjusts 2° either way so you can just add or subtract to get what the actual loft is you are playing.

Cool.  That makes perfect sense.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Ooh so if we set it at neutral ie. my shaft in my r11 s will it be 12 degrees in the SLDR? Inquiring minds really want to know and totally respect your answer.

The R11s tip won't fit in the SLDR, that's the last model before the change.  The R9/r11/r11s tips are different than the R1/SLDR/RBZ Stage 2 tips.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Will not fit..

The R11s tip won't fit in the SLDR, that's the last model before the change.  The R9/r11/r11s tips are different than the R1/SLDR/RBZ Stage 2 tips.

what he said....

I am looking at both tips... and Standard on an R1 tip is between the 10.5* and 9.5* setting. this is the same as STD Loft on an SLDR tip.

Lower on SLDR = 8* on R1

Higher on SLDR = 12* on R1

Ect.....

Trying to figure out what loft you are truly playing could be a mess.  Just hit them on a LM and look at the data.

GL.

Yes both of you are correct the tip did not fit - I tried it.  It's wierd though, for now I'm not having much trouble with the longer shaft, I'm hitting lots of balls flush with the SLDR, really as many as I did with my R11s that was 3/4 inch shorter.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes both of you are correct the tip did not fit - I tried it.  It's wierd though, for now I'm not having much trouble with the longer shaft, I'm hitting lots of balls flush with the SLDR, really as many as I did with my R11s that was 3/4 inch shorter.

Look at your handicap card..  See the number right next to where it says "Current Handicap"??  See how is is less than 4??  That is why you make such good contact..

;)

I guess that's the case. I'm starting to swing like my handicap indicates too so at least I have that going for me. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...
... I never really warmed up to the R1. Part of the reason was the sound/feel, but even though I got great numbers on the launch monitor, I couldn't get it to perform consistently on the course. I picked up the SLDR on the first day it was released because the sound and feel was the best I experienced in a long long time. Very dense, muted and so solid. This is something I have never ever done, an impulse equipment purchase.

... The real bonus was the performance. I was hoping it equal to the Stage 2 Tour or the promise of the R1 I was playing. The reduced spin both in the air and especially on the ground was exactly what I needed. I am carrying the ball a little farther with the SLDR, but the shallow angle of decent is giving me up to 20 more yards. This is the best I have driven the ball in years. Obviously sound/feel is subjective but if you have the swing speed and trajectory to keep the ball in the air, the SLDR is a very special driver.

... I never really warmed up to the R1. Part of the reason was the sound/feel, but even though I got great numbers on the launch monitor, I couldn't get it to perform consistently on the course. I picked up the SLDR on the first day it was released because the sound and feel was the best I experienced in a long long time. Very dense, muted and so solid. This is something I have never ever done, an impulse equipment purchase.

... The real bonus was the performance. I was hoping it equal to the Stage 2 Tour or the promise of the R1 I was playing. The reduced spin both in the air and especially on the ground was exactly what I needed. I am carrying the ball a little farther with the SLDR, but the shallow angle of decent is giving me up to 20 more yards. This is the best I have driven the ball in years. Obviously sound/feel is subjective but if you have the swing speed and trajectory to keep the ball in the air, the SLDR is a very special driver.

What loft did you go to in the SLDR? I'm up 2.25 degrees. The ball stays in the air forever.

Welcome BTW.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I demoed a 10* SLDR 430 a couple of weeks ago, shaft in it was a Tour AD-MT 6S. Man, that thing was a beast. Launch was around 15~16* and spin was in the 1900s and 2000s when I struck it well. On the launch monitor it said I was carrying it around 260, with rollout I was in the 280 range. It looked great, sounded great, and felt great. Thing is, my 909D3 also fulfills all that criteria, and I can hit it just as far. I almost drove the green on a 308 yard par 4 yesterday (got the distance down, missed right; granted, it was slightly downhill and I had the wind behind me) So no new shiny SLDR for me, I guess. It really was a fun club to hit though.

In the bag as of now...

Driver: Titleist 909 D3 9.5* w/ Diamana Kai'li 60 X
3-wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S
5-wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 18* w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S
Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-64 w/ Project X 5.5
Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11 52*, 56*, 60* w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Byron Design 007 w/ Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0
Balls: Taylormade Penta TP5 or Tour Preferred X

I demoed a 10* SLDR 430 a couple of weeks ago, shaft in it was a Tour AD-MT 6S. Man, that thing was a beast. Launch was around 15~16* and spin was in the 1900s and 2000s when I struck it well. On the launch monitor it said I was carrying it around 260, with rollout I was in the 280 range. It looked great, sounded great, and felt great. Thing is, my 909D3 also fulfills all that criteria, and I can hit it just as far. I almost drove the green on a 308 yard par 4 yesterday (got the distance down, missed right; granted, it was slightly downhill and I had the wind behind me) So no new shiny SLDR for me, I guess. It really was a fun club to hit though.

If it ain't broke!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived