TESTERS WANTED! ×

My custom Odyssey is here!

hckymeyer

Has there ever been that putter you've always wanted, but it just doesn't fit you?  Ever thought the only way to get a truly custom putter was dropping five bills on a ground up build?  Hate putter inserts but like Odyssey heads?  If any of those questions intrigue you then please read on.

I've always wanted to try an Odyssey 2ball putter.  My only issue has always been my stroke (strong arc) and the face balanced nature of the 2ball.  We just don't get along.  Plus I'm not the biggest fan of insert putters.  However the local Dicks Sporting Goods was clearing out all their belly putters last year so I picked up an Odyssey 2ball-mid for $35 just to test out.  I chopped it down to 33" and played a few rounds with it.  Turns out I actually really liked it, but I thought it could be better so I started digging around online and found a place called Spryevo.  In their own words they are a "Product design & evolution studio with an automotive influence".  If you are wondering how that translates into golf, welcome to the club.

They have some info on custom Odyssey inserts on their website along with a few pictures of prototype hosels and finishes.  I decided to take the plunge and contacted Charles to see what we could do with my 2ball.  It started out with my wanting a new insert and ended up with me getting a complete redesign and custom putter.  All for about the cost of a stock Odyssey.

Here are a couple pictures of what we started with.  Obviously I drew the sight line on with a sharpie, it helps me line up.

1.JPG2.JPG

I pulled the head and sent it to Charles and he got to work.  First he had to grind off the nub of a neck and remove the insert and discs.  Turns out the discs were just painted on, they aren't actually inserts like the face.

3.jpg

Then I had to choose between the copper insert and the carbon fiber insert.  I went with copper as I wanted to make the head heavier and I really wanted the deep milling the copper allowed.

4.JPG

Then Charles suggested he could make some really thin copper discs to go on top rather than painting the circles again.  I loved the idea and he delivered.  Also as you can see I really wanted to add some toe hang to the putter.  So Charles made me a custom plumbers neck and welded it on.  I was able to choose exact loft and lie specifications and there were several options for milling on the neck, but I decided to keep the smooth look.

5.JPG

For the finish I was originally going to get the blue Teflon finish.  He didn't have any other options when we started the project and I love the color blue.  However by the time we got to the finish he had a couple different black and gray options available and I decided that black would really set off the copper inserts.  Plus the grip is black so it all matches.

6.JPG

As a really nice final touch Charles was able to mill two sight lines into the copper discs on the top so I could paint fill a line instead of having to sharpie on copper.

7.JPG

And here's the finished head!

8.JPG

For the shaft I found a copper Apollo .370 iron shaft from Hireko and tipped it 8.5" so it's nice and stiff.  Then I put a 3.5" clevis pin down the butt of the shaft and capped it with a black Gridiron grip from Zach over at Bestgrips.  The headweight came in at 490g and the grip/clevis is a 134g counterweight.  Playing length is 34".  Here are the final shots all shafted up and ready to roll.

back.JPG

bottom.JPG

front.JPG

grip.JPG

milling.JPG

putting stance.JPG

top.JPG

whole thing.JPG

Charles over at Spryevo was a top notch person to work with.  You can really tell he cares about his craft and the attention to detail was amazing.  His tolerances are down to the thousandth of a inch!  I would highly recommend him for anyone wanting to customize their Odyssey.  I have no affiliation with Spryevo other than being an extremely happy customer.

So far it putts great in my basement.  I can't wait for this snow to melt so I can actually get it out on a course!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That is a sweet looking putter, I currently play the 2 ball f7 (white ice insert).

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Wow, that's really cool...how much did this cost if you don't mind me asking?

Not sure if I'm supposed to advertise the price, but it was less than the cost of a new 2ball White Hot :)

I also had checked a few other shops for the cost of doing a custom plumbers neck and both that answered me where charging about the same for just the neck that it ended up costing for everything I had done through Spryevo.

Very cool looking, hopefully the snow melts soon so you can play it.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Very cool, I've never really been a fan of copper, but the black/gold looks great.  Let us know how it rolls once the snow melts...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Terrific look....hckymeyer

How's the stroke?   I gamed the first Two-Ball putter several years ago.......My Arc was a bit too much for the straight back straight through of the Two-Ball.

Does the add'l weight change the path?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Terrific look....hckymeyer

How's the stroke?   I gamed the first Two-Ball putter several years ago.......My Arc was a bit too much for the straight back straight through of the Two-Ball.

Does the add'l weight change the path?

So far I've only rolled a few putts on my Birdieball mat and it just wants to putt exactly where I am it.  The toe hang still allows for some arc to my stroke and the counterbalancing helps combat some of the additional headweight.  But it almost feels like swinging a gyroscope, just wants to come back to square.

The big question will be finding out how distance control is when I can get out onto the course.

He's had my instructions for what I want for 2 months plus now. Communication was great until a month and a half ago and he fell off the earth it seems. Requested aluminum ball replacements. He was working on them he said and hasn't responded in a while now. His work is great, communication needs work

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

That's really incredible looking.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

He's had my instructions for what I want for 2 months plus now. Communication was great until a month and a half ago and he fell off the earth it seems. Requested aluminum ball replacements. He was working on them he said and hasn't responded in a while now. His work is great, communication needs work

I should probably mention that my entire project from when I sent him the head to when I got it back was about 4 months.  Originally we were thinking 4-5 weeks.  There were a few delays along the way, but they were always communicated to me.  Also since it was over the winter and I couldn't play anyway I always told him timing wasn't an issue for me.  Pretty much any time before April would have worked on my end.

Hopefully you will hear from him soon!

Actually, the way I see it, I've got two options... Either go get a 2ball putter and send it in for similar work.......... Or come by your place and steal yours. Speaking of which, which house is yours? I know it's on the course there.

Actually, on a somewhat related note, I'm looking at houses up a lot closer to your area. Still a bit of a hike, but we're house hunting in shoreview.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I should probably mention that my entire project from when I sent him the head to when I got it back was about 4 months. Originally we were thinking 4-5 weeks. There were a few delays along the way, but they were always communicated to me. Also since it was over the winter and I couldn't play anyway I always told him timing wasn't an issue for me. Pretty much any time before April would have worked on my end.

Hopefully you will hear from him soon!

He's contacted me and it seems there's a missing email hanging out there. Regardless I've heard from him

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

That is a beautiful putter - very unique. I hope you don't get tired of people asking you about it when you play with them, as it will get some questions - I'm sure.  :D

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

Great looking putter.  Can you add any more details about the shaft?  I have no idea what to look for in that area or that it was such a big deal since the swing arc of a putt is so short and the force being delivered is small.  I've seen Matrix putter shafts costing $150.  That seems ridiculous.

Was your shaft choice simply cosmetic?  Are there technical specs that you were trying to achieve?

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Great looking putter.  Can you add any more details about the shaft?  I have no idea what to look for in that area or that it was such a big deal since the swing arc of a putt is so short and the force being delivered is small.  I've seen Matrix putter shafts costing $150.  That seems ridiculous.

Was your shaft choice simply cosmetic?  Are there technical specs that you were trying to achieve?

It was pretty much a cosmetic choice :)  I was going to go with just a standard black putter shaft, but then I saw these copper iron shafts and thought it would look really cool.  They are the same .370 tip size of the putter hosel, so I bought one to try out.  It's only $15 so not an expensive gamble, it's a parallel tip shaft with the first 9.5" parallel.  So I tipped it 8.5" so it would be plenty stiff and feel like a normal putter shaft.

I've never used any of the graphite Matrix shafts or UST Frequency Filter shafts so I can't speak to them.

it's a parallel tip shaft with the first 9.5" parallel.  So I tipped it 8.5" so it would be plenty stiff and feel like a normal putter shaft.

So there is a target flex for putters?  I'm sorry but I don't understand your remarks or how you decided at what point to cut the shaft.  Didn't you just trim to the desired length, or was there more to it?

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Looks great!!  I used mine(carbon fiber) for the first time the other day,  really liked it.  Can't wait to get out again with it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

So there is a target flex for putters?  I'm sorry but I don't understand your remarks or how you decided at what point to cut the shaft.  Didn't you just trim to the desired length, or was there more to it?

I'm sure there is a target flex for putters, but I have no idea what that is.  I just know I've tried an iron shaft in a putter before and it was too whippy and flexed on putts.  I just wanted to make sure the shaft was stiff enough that it felt like a regular putter shaft. 

As for how much I cut off I just wanted to make sure I left enough of the tip there to safely install in the hosel, but didn't cut off too much that the putter would be too short.  So my desired length of 34" worked out to being able to cut 8.5" off the tip and a little over an inch off the butt end.

Typically if you buy a regular putter shaft you only have to worry about cutting off from the butt end to desired playing length.  Since I was using a parallel tip iron shaft i needed to make sure it was stiff enough for a putter by tipping it before cutting to playing length from the butt end.

I wouldn't put too much stock in my methods though.  I am by no means an expert and very much an amature when it comes to club building.  I pretty much know just enough to get me in trouble.  The way I did this shaft was basically a big experiment on my part, I happened to get lucky and it worked out.

Thanks for filling in the blanks.  I had no idea there would be such a difference between iron shafts and putter shafts.  What you say makes a lot of sense given that putter heads are likely heavier than iron heads.

I know less than nothing about club building so some of the threads here go over my head.  But this is the place to learn, right?

Hopefully you don't have to wait much longer to try your new creation on real grass.

What's in the Bag:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Do you still have this?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It's been about a year since your putter project started.......how did it roll over the season?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I used it for a while in 2014, really liked it at first and it worked wonders on 10' and in.  So easy to keep straight.

In the end being the club ho that I am I got fitted for a putter over last winter and ended up gaming a Scotty and then an Odyssey #7 for this past year.  I'm sticking with the Odyssey #7 to start next season.

Basically this putter has been sitting in my basement for over a year.  Tried to sell it in the fall but didn't get any takers.  

That's a nice setup you have there. Maybe I'll give this a shot in the future. Do that do all brands?

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived