My custom Odyssey is here!

Great looking putter.  Can you add any more details about the shaft?  I have no idea what to look for in that area or that it was such a big deal since the swing arc of a putt is so short and the force being delivered is small.  I've seen Matrix putter shafts costing $150.  That seems ridiculous.

Was your shaft choice simply cosmetic?  Are there technical specs that you were trying to achieve?

It was pretty much a cosmetic choice :)  I was going to go with just a standard black putter shaft, but then I saw these copper iron shafts and thought it would look really cool.  They are the same .370 tip size of the putter hosel, so I bought one to try out.  It's only $15 so not an expensive gamble, it's a parallel tip shaft with the first 9.5" parallel.  So I tipped it 8.5" so it would be plenty stiff and feel like a normal putter shaft.

I've never used any of the graphite Matrix shafts or UST Frequency Filter shafts so I can't speak to them.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

it's a parallel tip shaft with the first 9.5" parallel.  So I tipped it 8.5" so it would be plenty stiff and feel like a normal putter shaft.

So there is a target flex for putters?  I'm sorry but I don't understand your remarks or how you decided at what point to cut the shaft.  Didn't you just trim to the desired length, or was there more to it?

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Looks great!!  I used mine(carbon fiber) for the first time the other day,  really liked it.  Can't wait to get out again with it.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

So there is a target flex for putters?  I'm sorry but I don't understand your remarks or how you decided at what point to cut the shaft.  Didn't you just trim to the desired length, or was there more to it?

I'm sure there is a target flex for putters, but I have no idea what that is.  I just know I've tried an iron shaft in a putter before and it was too whippy and flexed on putts.  I just wanted to make sure the shaft was stiff enough that it felt like a regular putter shaft. 

As for how much I cut off I just wanted to make sure I left enough of the tip there to safely install in the hosel, but didn't cut off too much that the putter would be too short.  So my desired length of 34" worked out to being able to cut 8.5" off the tip and a little over an inch off the butt end.

Typically if you buy a regular putter shaft you only have to worry about cutting off from the butt end to desired playing length.  Since I was using a parallel tip iron shaft i needed to make sure it was stiff enough for a putter by tipping it before cutting to playing length from the butt end.

I wouldn't put too much stock in my methods though.  I am by no means an expert and very much an amature when it comes to club building.  I pretty much know just enough to get me in trouble.  The way I did this shaft was basically a big experiment on my part, I happened to get lucky and it worked out.

Thanks for filling in the blanks.  I had no idea there would be such a difference between iron shafts and putter shafts.  What you say makes a lot of sense given that putter heads are likely heavier than iron heads.

I know less than nothing about club building so some of the threads here go over my head.  But this is the place to learn, right?

Hopefully you don't have to wait much longer to try your new creation on real grass.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Do you still have this?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It's been about a year since your putter project started.......how did it roll over the season?

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*) w/Recoil ES Hybrid(75 GM) regular shaft Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).  Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

I used it for a while in 2014, really liked it at first and it worked wonders on 10' and in.  So easy to keep straight.

In the end being the club ho that I am I got fitted for a putter over last winter and ended up gaming a Scotty and then an Odyssey #7 for this past year.  I'm sticking with the Odyssey #7 to start next season.

Basically this putter has been sitting in my basement for over a year.  Tried to sell it in the fall but didn't get any takers.  

That's a nice setup you have there. Maybe I'll give this a shot in the future. Do that do all brands?

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I used it for a while in 2014, really liked it at first and it worked wonders on 10' and in.  So easy to keep straight.

In the end being the club ho that I am I got fitted for a putter over last winter and ended up gaming a Scotty and then an Odyssey #7 for this past year.  I'm sticking with the Odyssey #7 to start next season.

Basically this putter has been sitting in my basement for over a year.  Tried to sell it in the fall but didn't get any takers.  

Thanks for the update hckymeyer,  I know if someone likes the two ball, yours is a great one to have.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*) w/Recoil ES Hybrid(75 GM) regular shaft Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).  Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

• 3 months later...

Super sweet. Love the copper insert

What's in the bag:

Irons- old Dunlop DDH 431 w/Graman reg. flex graphite shafts

Driver- Cobra Biocell adjustable driver (9.5 draw) stiff flex

Moses Lake, WA

RH 21hcp

"You buy the beer, and I'll buy lunch"

Love the color contrast and the grip!

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I