Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Control Distance with body turn.

I was reading another thread (Goals for this season) were someone said they wanted to get better at the short game.  My short game has simply been awesome this past year, and I decided that I would share it with you.  Heck, I may have even read about here on this site, because I did not create it, just implemented it.

I just read that the average approach shot by an amateur golfer from 150 yards is 35 yards from the pin.  I totally believe this.  I find myself this distance from the flag far more often than I would like.  35 and in have turned into my money shots.  From inside 50 yards this past couple of months, I average 8.3 feet from the pin and make most of these putts from inside 9 feet.  I get up and down more than 90%, not counting sand bunkers.  So here is how.

How many of us can pitch a golf ball underhanded onto the green and let it roll to the hole and get it with in 5 feet or so?  Probably all of us.  It is not that hard.  Yet when we get here on the partial wedge shots we blade it and chunk it and jump at the ball.  Relax, there is no need for concern, just pitch the ball at the hole.

The first key in playing this shot is club selection.  This is determined by how much green there is to work with.  I carry 3 wedges, 52* is my normal wedge for this shot.  It is the easiest to use and will roll out 15-20' after it lands.  My 58* will roll out about 10' or so after landing, and I have a 64* that I use only when I can't have any roll.  I do not recommend a 60 or more wedge for anyone.  

I have seen how much green I have to work with, and determined which club to use.  I walk to the ball and read the green like I would a putt.  I pick a spot where I would need to land the ball and let it run into the hole. 

Ok, now I have that as my target.  I then imagine the ball in my right hand, I am right handed, keeping my upper arm close (not locked) I mimic taking the ball back and through to the target rotating my body and get the feel for how fast I need to turn and how high I need to raise my hand.  I actually do this with nothing in my right hand, just to get the feel of the rotation.

Then I take my grip and mimic hitting the ball and watching it fly to that spot I picked out earlier.  If I am having trouble getting the right feel then I will take one that I know is too hard, and another that I know is too soft, then a couple of more that I feel are just right.  This is a very smooth swing, with virtually no hand or wrist action.  The body rotation controls the distance.

Now I simply step up to the ball and do the same thing again, this time striking the ball. 

Try this approach, and stay relaxed.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

This makes 10000000000% sense to me. Great post!

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

funnily enough this is what i used to do to some degree and have changed it somewhere along the way and have been really lacking in my pitches at the moment. I know what I'm doing this Saturday when I play :) Thank you for reminding me how to do this properly

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Archived