TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Book - Golf Statistical Analysis

MarcKilgore

The new book from Mark Broadie is out

Every Shot Counts: Using the Revolutionary Strokes Gained Approach to Improve ... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1N5W84/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_TTWmtb0M2R4VS

I find this very timely, as we are talking about the "most wanted" clubs.  I just downloaded the Kindle version and am going to give it a read while there is still snow on the ground. For those of you who do not know who Mark Broadie is, he's the professor that came up with the "putting strokes gained" statistic. From the brief discussions I've read, he's pretty much proved that driving is the most important part of the game - not putting - contrary to popular belief. His analysis has shown that tee shots account for 28% of the shots gained in a round, versus 17% for putting.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

Golf and math?! Sweet.(No seriously, I love these kinds of reads) I am definitely gonna check this one out.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I also want to read the book. I'm not sure that I totally buy into his theory as yet. I the end the drives I hit are real drives just as the putts that I hit are real putts. It seems to be fanciful math that claims a shot that I hit 14 times needs to be practiced and perfected ahead of one that I hit 32 times.

I know he applies his numbers to amateurs but I'm not convinced that the comp works.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm around 1/3 through the book, and the thing that I still think is that you need to practice what is easiest for you to fix - not necessarily in agreement with what he says. For me, if I chunk two chip shots in a round (which I just freaking did last weekend), that's much easier for me to address than lengthening my drive off the tee.  I do however, agree with him on his putting analysis. Unless you totally suck at putting, you probably are better off spending that time working on other parts of your game, as there are diminishing returns. Example... practicing 15-20 foot putts are a waste of time because even the great putters miss most of them.  I'm not done with the book yet, so it would be unfair for me to comment further until I finish.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

I'm around 1/3 through the book, and the thing that I still think is that you need to practice what is easiest for you to fix - not necessarily in agreement with what he says. For me, if I chunk two chip shots in a round (which I just freaking did last weekend), that's much easier for me to address than lengthening my drive off the tee. I do however, agree with him on his putting analysis. Unless you totally suck at putting, you probably are better off spending that time working on other parts of your game, as there are diminishing returns. Example... practicing 15-20 foot putts are a waste of time because even the great putters miss most of them. I'm not done with the book yet, so it would be unfair for me to comment further until I finish.

But that is not radical. Dave Pelz figured that one out quite some time ago. Avoiding three putts is a huge deal. You avoid three putts by working on your distance control with the putter and working on holing short putts. I don't care what this guy says lacking those two skills will kill your score unless of course you stick all your irons close.

This isn't rocket science or brain surgery or even Greek.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There might be something to the idea. It's obvious that the Drive is a very important part of the game as witness the LPGA vs the PGA player. On the same fairway the PGA player will be playing a mid to short iron for the green after his Drive whereas the LPGA will be using a long to mid, sometimes even a fairway. Diferent skill sets defined by the length of the Drive. Both appear to be reasonably equal in the short game and the Putt.

Personally I would rather be the aggressor against Par than the defender against Bogey.

Shambles

I'm not saying that the data and the reading of the data is not without its merit.  I'm just not buying the entire package at this time.  It's still about what is necessary to get the ball into the hole in the fewest number of strokes.  Seems to me that he's interested in how I do vs. another player of my relative ability while I'm concerned with how to tame the course.  I think if I can take care of the course I'll hold my own against players of my ability.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived