RoverRick

Hitter or swinger, an open discussion.

I think swingers are the guys that post flip.. And hitters are the ones that swing left and low with no face turn over ..

Confusing .. The more you dig in this ... The worse we will play..imo

Funny, I shoot about 5-10 strokes lower in my tournaments, probably because I am concentrating more.

I did not participate in any club tournaments in the last year and a half other, than the championship, but before that I was listed as a 13 handicap,  When the tournaments rolled around I would shoot 74-76.  Which told me I was capable of it, but then I decided to get better, and change my swing.  Then I because the opposite I shoot low 70's at and then low 80's under pressure.  But I seriously believe that is because I am a hitter.

I think swingers are the guys that post flip.. And hitters are the ones that swing left and low with no face turn over ..

Confusing .. The more you dig in this ... The worse we will play..imo

Not terribly confusing,

"Swinger's" generate power with their body coil.  Their right hand is on the club simply to guide it, and because the have one.  It serves no purpose in the power of the swing.   There are a number of different focus points on this swing but the one think that is in common with all of them is that the hands do not add power.

"Hitter's" generate power with the arms and the body coil adds just a minimal amount to the equation.  In this case the hands are very active as they add power to the swing.

Now here is the funny thing.  I watched all week the other golfers at the club.  The older, and bigger, and less flexible golfers are hitters.  The younger more flexible ones are swingers. 

I am amazed that more hitting golf instruction is not out there.  I would bet that most amateur golfers are hitters.  Those that are not former high school players.

• Like 1

Yea, I bet most amateurs are thinking hit too though even when it might be hurting them.

I don't know about exclusively using one hand or the other though, for me anyway. I want to feel everything working together. Body, arms, both hands, nothing overpowering the others.

That's what makes my best swings. Feels like everything is in sync. It's like I go blank at the top of the swing and wake up a split second later in my finish.

• Like 1

Yea, I bet most amateurs are thinking hit too though even when it might be hurting them.

I don't know about exclusively using one hand or the other though, for me anyway. I want to feel everything working together. Body, arms, both hands, nothing overpowering the others.

That's what makes my best swings. Feels like everything is in sync. It's like I go blank at the top of the swing and wake up a split second later in my finish.

There are 29 million golfers in the US, and 83% are above 40 years old and 51% are over 50.  That means the vast majority probably are not able to generate the swing speed with a swinger's swing because of they can not coil and uncoil their body fast enough.  Therefore, most probably add to the swing with the hands.  Probably 90% of the golf instruction is based on the swinger's model.  Of course, this is fine for the PGA Tour guys, and gals, and even seniors, because the are fit and have nothing else to do.

There are some that will say if you have two hands than you both pull and push the golf club therefore we are all both swinger's and hitter's.  But I believe that while they have somethings in common, and there are two hands on the club, the body has to get out of the way, etc.  You can really have only one source of power, either the body or the hands. 

After watching the swings of a bunch of people at the club last weekend, I would say that far more people would benefit from learning about the difference.  This has been much more enlightening to me than different planes etc.

It would be interesting to have someone else answer the question about us, rather than answer it ourselves.  I would think what we think and what we do aren't often the same.  At the start of this discussion I would have said I was a hitter (and still would with certain clubs) while others I swing far more freely in the swinger model.  

It would be interesting to have someone else answer the question about us, rather than answer it ourselves.  I would think what we think and what we do aren't often the same.  At the start of this discussion I would have said I was a hitter (and still would with certain clubs) while others I swing far more freely in the swinger model.  

That is why the iPhone and golf apps are the greatest training aid there is.  I was having major difficulties this last weekend with the iron swing and videoed my swing and immediately saw I was coming too far inside on the take away, and swaying.  When I started the swing it threw me out of balance and was having to reroute the club while off balance.  Not good contact at all.

It would not be terribly uncommon for amateur golfers to have different swings with different clubs.  For years I had three different swings for my different clubs.  And sometimes at least two for the same club. :lol:

I have read that since we have two hands we are all some of both.  But I think about it as where am I getting my club head speed.  Fast body or fast hands.  Yes, you can do both.  Certainly a lot of pros do both, but timing is critical.  That is also players who do both not only hit it far all the time, but hit it wide part of the time.

interesting.  over the winter I have been working hard on removing one of my hands from the equation for the most part.  I am right handed, but I find that from a pure swing perspective, my right hand is the beginning and end of the vast majority of my problems in swinging a golf club.  it is, for me at least, pretty much just along for the ride.  The exception, is the handful of shots/swings where I need those fingers to reduce head movement due to turf/sand interaction.  for everything else, it is all left hand and arm, with hips and legs doing the rest.  When I swing this way, I get better contact, better control, better consistency, even with a fairly short backswing.  

The second my right hand and shoulder start to muscle up and get into the swing, things go downhill fast.

Stay the hell out of this thread and forget everything you read, LMAO :)

Have a great season Bro :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

My Best,

Richard

Where is the fun in that?  It is *just a game* :D