Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Sunset Beach Lola, possible video coming

golfluvzme

We have been working hard to keep the looks that you get from Sunset Beach as fresh and new as we could. When the first Lola was pictured, the response was very good and I went back and wound up with four additional specimens. One went to a higher purpose and may never see any of these forums. One went to a putter test in SoCal and is kicking butt, at every opportunity. One went to New Mexico and wound up in the hands of someone who's name didn't match the one on the putter..............(if you are reading this, may the fleas of a thousand camels, find a new home on your person.) And one went to North Carolina to spend some time with Chris Jordan, Hugh Royer III and a few of his students and PGA associates.

NOW, I am putting some effort, when time allows, into the next Lola version. I love the classic 8802's, the Arnold Palmer "THE ORIGINAL"s, and a few other beautiful verisons of this blade style. This one will be a labor of love and I hope to get a few steps of the process recorded on video.

I'll be posting some pictures of the raw head, where I start at, Saturday when I get home from my "day job". I thought that I had a few shots of the current shape, but that was not to be. The head is currently shaped and ready for the next step in this one's creation. I've got a new step planned and it might be the magic move to get the look that is so critical in a blade's creation. I believe that a large percentage of the look on this putter comes from the way that the hosel flows into the head. PGA pro, Hugh Royer III has commented a few times on that same fact. He used a classic 8802 for many tournaments and is a pretty solid source when it comes to the "good stuff".

Sorry to leave you without any current pictures of this new putter, right now. But, if I can get to it, I'll snap a few before I crash and at least give you a pre-lim of what is coming.

Thanks for checking out this post and I hope that when it is all finished, you can look back and say that you enjoyed the process.

LaMont in AZ

Sunset Beach's Custom Garage Guy

MannKrafted GolfWorks

Well, I got the base head about 95% shaped and then went to work on the hosel. I have video of a lot of the process with the hosel, but only stills of the head, itself. I will size those bad rascals and let you see what might wind up being the nicest heel-shafted blade I have created, so far. The hosel videos will show from raw stock, turning the tip that will go inside of a UST Freq. Filtered shaft, cutting the detail grooves that you don't see unless you pull the head, starting the hand-turned taper of the hosel ( I ran out of camera memory and missed most of that, the most interesting part.) I fixed the memory issue with a 4 gig memory card, I hope. It is transferring, as I type and there appears to be a glitch................OOOFFFFF.

I'll get the videos someplace that Chris Jordan can see them, review and give his input and then they'll be free game for you guys.

Looking forward to your thoughts as this all plays out.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

PS, she tipped the scales, pre-clean up and pre-weld, at 351.3 grams. I am feeling lucky!

• SPY VIP

Looking forward to the video of the hosel MaMont. I think many readers will enjoy seeing something not often shown.

Well, I got the base head about 95% shaped and then went to work on the hosel. I have video of a lot of the process with the hosel, but only stills of the head, itself. I will size those bad rascals and let you see what might wind up being the nicest heel-shafted blade I have created, so far. The hosel videos will show from raw stock, turning the tip that will go inside of a UST Freq. Filtered shaft, cutting the detail grooves that you don't see unless you pull the head, starting the hand-turned taper of the hosel ( I ran out of camera memory and missed most of that, the most interesting part.) I fixed the memory issue with a 4 gig memory card, I hope. It is transferring, as I type and there appears to be a glitch................OOOFFFFF.

I'll get the videos someplace that Chris Jordan can see them, review and give his input and then they'll be free game for you guys.

Looking forward to your thoughts as this all plays out.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

PS, she tipped the scales, pre-clean up and pre-weld, at 351.3 grams. I am feeling lucky!

#TruthDigest

Well, I had just installed a 4GB SDHC card in my camera, after going office/shop/office/shop, etc, every 4 minutes. The camera will record onto the card, but will not allow me to transfer the video to my PC. Not sure of the issue, but I'm off to Walgreens to burn the contents of the card to a disk, start using a 1GB card and call it good.

Videos have been taken, just need to get them where my partner, Chris Jordan can see them and give them the OK.

Hang in there.

LaMont in AZ

Alright, I found that I was just being too impatient with my camera. I left it the heck alone for a little while and it transferred all video, just fine.

Now, I am trying to upload them to Photobucket and it is anything but fast. I guess that a 550MB file IS sort of large, when it comes to uploading, eh?

Fear not! I'll size some of the stills and get you guys something to look at while the videos are taken care of.

Thanks again,

LaMont in AZ

Back with some stills and a trio of videos.

The videos are my first-ever effort and they end rather abruptly. I have several more on my PC, just need to upgrade on Photobucket to be allowed to upload.

Check these out and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

Videos:

th_2010_04170023.jpg

th_2010_04170024.jpg

th_2010_04170025.jpg

They are just starting to get the ball rolling as the hosel begins to take shape. I have more of this process, a lot more.

Here are some stills of the new Lola that the hosel will be attached to, very soon.

2010_04170006.jpg

2010_04170008.jpg

2010_04170009.jpg

Here is a stock head. The piece along side is the first part that is removed when the Lola is started. I have to thin the head quite a bit. I should have gotten a video of this, and will next time.

2010_04170003.jpg

Group shot. One nice blade, one raw, base Pamlico and the newest of the Lola shapings.

2010_04170022.jpg

Some updated looks at the putter, semi-complete. I have video of shaping the hosel, cleaning up the chatter, bending it and even milling a little landing area on the heel end of the putter head. I'll try to get that stuff uploaded, but it is HUGE, LMAO.

Here are a few pictures of the end results of last evening's work.

Thanks,

LaMont in Az

2010_04170041.jpg

2010_04170042.jpg

2010_04170045.jpg

2010_04170043.jpg

Archived