TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is the USGA Runing the game?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Seems like a good step. Would have been better before the groove ruling, but hopefully this type of communication can smooth things in the future.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

IMHO, the USGA is just out of touch with the everyday golfer.....and they either like it that way, or just don't care that it's that way. I think they just run things for a very small segment...and are happy to do so. I hate to say it, but it seems like it's still an elitist organization.

I always go back if I hit one out of bounds, but I agree with your notion that most dont, and those people who play by the own rules are not affected by the USGA in anyway.

I don't play by my own rules, but on the muni's I play on, if you drive your cart back to the tee everytime you hit a ball out of bounds, you're likely to get your ass kicked. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Marshalls got into the act also.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I don't play by my own rules, but on the muni's I play on, if you drive your cart back to the tee everytime you hit a ball out of bounds, you're likely to get your ass kicked. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Marshalls got into the act also.

This happens to me too. If you go back, the people behind you are going to want to play through, or kill you.

I think two sets of rules might be a good idea... The majority of people playing golf are not pros, nor do they have any desire to be pros... they are just recreational golfers...

Look at just about every other professional sport, and compare to the rec. leagues...

MLB/everyone else - wood/aluminum bats

NBA/everyone else - 3 point line

I'm sure there are lots of others...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I think two sets of rules might be a good idea... The majority of people playing golf are not pros, nor do they have any desire to be pros... they are just recreational golfers...

Look at just about every other professional sport, and compare to the rec. leagues...

MLB/everyone else - wood/aluminum bats

NBA/everyone else - 3 point line

I'm sure there are lots of others...

NFL/ everyone else- 2 feet inbounds for a catch/ 1 foot, you need to be touched to be down/ if you hit the ground, you're down.

The USGA rules majorly impact many parts of the game. Do you think they are starting to ruin the game?

The game became ruined long ago, about the time the rule book became two pages long.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

That's why if you even think it's possible, you hit a provisional. Then you either play it, or pick it up....no driving back.

That's why if you even think it's possible, you hit a provisional. Then you either play it, or pick it up....no driving back.

Good point, but plenty of situations come up when you don't believe your ball will be lost but you end up not finding it. In that circumstance, under Rule 27-1, you take a stroke distance penalty (as long as the original ball hasn't found an obstruction, abnormal ground condition, water hazard, or has been moved by an outside agent).

Does an amateur golfer during a casual round go back to the tee in that situation? I'd say in almost every instance - no.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Good point, but plenty of situations come up when you don't believe your ball will be lost but you end up not finding it. In that circumstance, under Rule 27-1, you take a stroke distance penalty (as long as the original ball hasn't found an obstruction, abnormal ground condition, water hazard, or has been moved by an outside agent).

Does an amateur golfer during a casual round go back to the tee in that situation? I'd say in almost every instance - no.

Remember too that the majority of amateurs who are missing fairways could be classified casual golfers and would just drop and play from the lost position. No extra penalty strokes. I think that the comments about the USGA and their affect on golf really relate more to tournament play, both pro and amateur.

Volvo Intorqueo

The game became ruined long ago, about the time the rule book became two pages long.

It is kind of annoying having all of the different crazy rules. A little simplicity would be nice in an already frustrating game.

It is kind of annoying having all of the different crazy rules. A little simplicity would be nice in an already frustrating game.

Just simply playing the ball down, or as it lies (always) would make the book much much thinner.

• SPY VIP

Just simply playing the ball down, or as it lies (always) would make the book much much thinner.

Rules are there to make competition uniform. One plays within the parameters to play the game. Again, the casual golfer needs not these rules.

Their "rulebook" is usually zero pages thick and designed by consensus with the friends they play with.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think golf should simply be, starting at point A (No.1) and finishing 3 1/2 hours later at point B (No.18) with the objective to get the ball from each teeing station into the little white cup on each hole.

The only OB should be the outer perimeter of the course and everything inside the grounds including the clubhouse, cartpath and the parking lot, is in play. You get no relief from any spot, any object, anything, playing the ball as it lies 100% of the time.

That was how the game started and how it should have remained.

I play with a couple of regulars that need multiple rulings every round because they can't hit the ball straight. They get drops for this, drops for that all because of their lack of skill. The rule book became riduculous a long long time ago.

You would also learn quickly to pick the ball clean if you are hitting on parking lot, cart path, or club house. :angry:

That is for sure! I love the game, but at times I think way too many people worry about the rule book and everytime they are a bad situation on the course, they look for a way out with the book instead of just figuring out a shot to get them out of whatever they are in.

I know I'm ranting here a bit, but it is just like too much government intervention and laws in everyday life to me and golf needs less governing (is that a word?) and rules.

I play almost everyday during the season and I don't carry a rule book because I amost never need one as my group just seems to always play it as you find it, with an exception of course now and again.

End of rant

I think golf should simply be, starting at point A (No.1) and finishing 3 1/2 hours later at point B (No.18) with the objective to get the ball from each teeing station into the little white cup on each hole.

The only OB should be the outer perimeter of the course and everything inside the grounds including the clubhouse, cartpath and the parking lot, is in play. You get no relief from any spot, any object, anything, playing the ball as it lies 100% of the time.

I play with a couple of regulars that need multiple rulings every round because they can't hit the ball straight. They get drops for this, drops for that all because of their lack of skill. The rule book became riduculous a long long time ago.

What about water, sprinkler heads, and man made objects? Just play around them, possibly damaging your clubs?

• SPY VIP

What about water, sprinkler heads, and man made objects? Just play around them, possibly damaging your clubs?

Do you think that these are more dangerous that the cart path? ;)

See post above.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Cartpaths and clubhouses are man made. ;) I was mainly looking for what he thought about water hazards.

A ball underwater is the only seeming exception, and then only if it is deep.

Volvo Intorqueo

USGA planning equipment forum in Fall 2010

http://www.examiner.com/x-1024-Golf-Equipment-Examiner~y2010m3d11-USGA-planning-equipment-forum-in-Fall-2010

In an effort to do what it calls “improve the equipment rulemaking process,'' the U.S. Golf Association will hold a forum on the process of equipment rulemaking in Fall 2010. The forum will be held at Golf House in Far Hills, N.J., on a specific date to be determined.

The USGA says it is inviting “all stakeholders in the game'' to participate, including manufacturers, players, media, golf organizations and other interested parties. The main purpose of this forum, according to the USGA, is to allow stakeholders the opportunity to make their views on equipment rulemaking known to the USGA, and to each other. The USGA said “appropriate protocols'' will be established to allow an efficient and fair opportunity for those wishing to participate.

How the forum will differ from the “public comment'' phase of the equipment rulemaking process remains to be seen. It's no coincidence, however, that the USGA is establishing the forum after the controversial new rule banning square grooves went into affect this past Jan. 1.

In a statement, the USGA said, “We anticipate that the forum will provide input that can help the USGA enhance the rulemaking process, including procedures for making new equipment rules, changing existing rules, and modifying rule-associated measurement systems, as well as enhancing the associated processes for implementing such changes.''

Examples of topics for discussion include:

• The process by which new equipment rules and rule changes are proposed

• Timing and communication of USGA research projects that potentially could lead to rule changes

• Timing and communication of proposed equipment rule changes

• The process and timing for implementing changes to measurement systems and other rule enforcement methods

• Procedures for considering changes to non-performance related rules

• Consideration of the impacts of potential rule changes and the evaluation, after an appropriate time period, of the results of implemented rule changes

• The process of commenting on proposed rule changes, including confidentiality considerations

• Timing of the implementation of rule changes

• The decision-making process, including communication of the reasons for enacting new equipment rules or changing existing equipment rules

• The appropriate balance between technology and skill in player performance

The USGA said the forum can also provide an opportunity “for discussing the process'' by which it renders rulings on individual items of golf equipment submitted for evaluation, as well as consideration of the ways in which relevant information about these rulings might be communicated publicly.

Did they agree to do this before or after Ping conceded on the Ping Eye 2 ruling? The reason I ask is I thought I read that the existence of this forum and the USGA's willingness to take more input from the manufacturers was a determining factor.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, I don't know about you, but I don't have a tour van sitting out in the parking lot of my local muni on tap to replace the 7 iron that I just demolished because now the cartpath is deemed "in play". I will take my drop, thank you. B)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, I don't know about you, but I don't have a tour van sitting out in the parking lot of my local muni on tap to replace the 7 iron that I just demolished because now the cartpath is deemed "in play". I will take my drop, thank you. ;)

Like I said in one reply, there will always be exceptions and in a situation where you are going to do damage to your equipment you should of course get relief.

I love the fact that my home course has a sign at the first tee that simply either says "play it down" or "lift clean place" when it is really wet. Most of the time it always says "play it down". If it is so wet you must pick it up, the course may be closed, but this is really rare. This is there for league play mainly or anyone playing a round where they plan to post their score for their handicap.

My point is that lots of people want relief from everything all of the time and take it in many cases when in fact they were not entitled to it in many cases. Just another way to slow things down.

I just think the rule book just got way too big a long time ago but the rules are there for a reason and I understand the reason in most cases.

• SPY VIP

Like I said in one reply, there will always be exceptions and in a situation where you are going to do damage to your equipment you should of course get relief.

I love the fact that my home course has a sign at the first tee that simply either says "play it down" or "lift clean place" when it is really wet. Most of the time it always says "play it down". If it is so wet you must pick it up, the course may be closed, but this is really rare. This is there for league play mainly or anyone playing a round where they plan to post their score for their handicap.

My point is that lots of people want relief from everything all of the time and take it in many cases when in fact they were not entitled to it in many cases. Just another way to slow things down.

I just think the rule book just got way too big a long time ago but the rules are there for a reason and I understand the reason in most cases.

The sign makes me think of "Winter Rules" with my buddies. Lots of things are covered under 'Winter Rules"

You would like playing with my mom. I hit a wedge into a soft green and the ball sank in about halfway. I got there to pick it up and repair it and she said that I had to play it as it was. I marked it, cleaned the ball and replaced it in the hole. Putted it out for 6 inches and then fixed the hole. I know she was wrong, but one does not argue with mom.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived