Is the USGA Runing the game?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

If the pro ball is restricted flight, then I would play the other type. Pros would likely be mad at a restricted flight ball. How would you address they getting mad at the decrease in stats?

Personally, I would tell them that they get paid millions to play golf and not to complain too much... :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

If the pro ball is restricted flight, then I would play the other type. Pros would likely be mad at a restricted flight ball. How would you address they getting mad at the decrease in stats?

Personally, I would tell them that they get paid millions to play golf and not to complain too much... :D

I think all most pros are interested in is a level playing field, as long as they have that I dont think they have much to complain about. Not that we listen to their complaints much anyway.

here is my opinion, fwiw...

I don't tune in to the golf telecasts, or go a tour event to watch my favorite pros shoot 2-4 under par for the week. I wanna see some birdies. and Eagles. That is what I miss about the Masters now. That used to be the greatest tournament on the planet on the back nine on Sunday, because you knew someone was going low. Now that course cannot be had. Laying up on 15?? Courses have gotten too long in response to the modern ball and the roughs have gotten too deep in response to the modern driver and wedges. I'd like to see us go back to a shorter ball, shorter golf courses, and wedges with out canyons in the faces. That would be fun.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   SIM2 Max 9° Tour MT 6-S   or   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway - :srixon-small: ZX  3 wd. Ventus VeloCore Blue S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Two set of rules is that really necessary?

Before I answer that question, ask yourself "Who owns the game of golf?".

My answer to that question is "We all and no-one are", there is nothing that stops

you and your friends to decide your own set of rules or exception from the official rules.

As long as you only play each other USGA and/or RANDA don't care if you use "illegal" clubs,

have one mulligan per hole or whatever you think is fair.

The only thing that matter is that you don't put other people in danger,

keep up the pace of play and replace divots / repair pitch marks / rake bunkers etc.

But as soon we are competing in organized tournaments a standardized set of rules are (imho) necessary.

So my answer to the that question is: No!

However USGA is trying to ruin the game, I'm still undecided.

We all seem to want hit the ball further, stop the ball faster on the green, knowing the exact yardage (even though most of us don't hit it consistent). Having yardage on the course is actually a quite young occurrence, Jack Nicklaus "introduced" this to the golfing world in 1966 on Muirfield, prior to this it was not in the spirit of the game to have exact yardage - it was about eye-hand coordination/feel.

If you talk to some golfers (RANDA among others) they agree that USGA is ruining the game by allowing electronic distance measurement devices, quite a few think the opposite.

The public has gotten used to see the pro players bomb drivers 300++ yards, to make the courses tougher they have until now made them longer. "Force" players to hit drivers shorter is bad PR, force players to keep it in play isn't. Is this the way to go? To the last three or four soccer world championship FIFA (soccer federation) has allowed new balls that will spin more in order to get more spectacular free-kicks, in a few years I'm sure they will have the same problem as we do in golf - what will their counteraction be? Banning the balls or making the goals smaller, the public has then got used to see the free-kicks cork-screwing their way into goal...

We all long for development in golf, we all want to hit'em longer and straighter - preferably without practising.

Currently I'm getting more and more to the point that USGA isn't ruining the game.

RANDA's standpoint to this matters is as I interpret it, is that if it wasn't for RANDA, USGA would make golf into Disneyworld.

My answer to that question is "We all and no-one are", there is nothing that stops

you and your friends to decide your own set of rules or exception from the official rules.

As long as you only play each other USGA and/or RANDA don't care if you use "illegal" clubs,

keep up the pace of play and replace divots / repair pitch marks / rake bunkers etc.

But as soon we are competing in organized tournaments a standardized set of rules are (imho) necessary.

We all seem to want hit the ball further, stop the ball faster on the green, knowing the exact yardage (even though most of us don't hit it consistent). Having yardage on the course is actually a quite young occurrence, Jack Nicklaus "introduced" this to the golfing world in 1966 on Muirfield, prior to this it was not in the spirit of the game to have exact yardage - it was about eye-hand coordination/feel.

If you talk to some golfers (RANDA among others) they agree that USGA is ruining the game by allowing electronic distance measurement devices, quite a few think the opposite.

The public has gotten used to see the pro players bomb drivers 300++ yards, to make the courses tougher they have until now made them longer. "Force" players to hit drivers shorter is bad PR, force players to keep it in play isn't. Is this the way to go? To the last three or four soccer world championship FIFA (soccer federation) has allowed new balls that will spin more in order to get more spectacular free-kicks, in a few years I'm sure they will have the same problem as we do in golf - what will their counteraction be? Banning the balls or making the goals smaller, the public has then got used to see the free-kicks cork-screwing their way into goal...

We all long for development in golf, we all want to hit'em longer and straighter - preferably without practising.

Currently I'm getting more and more to the point that USGA isn't ruining the game.

RANDA's standpoint to this matters is as I interpret it, is that if it wasn't for RANDA, USGA would make golf into Disneyworld.

I agree no one owns the game, this isnt an ownership issue to me, this is a governing issue, and the USGA generally governs the game in the US.

I agree when playing with your friends the rules only matter as much as you choose to enforce them, you can always choose to not play by the rules or by your own set of rules for fun, and you should if it makes it more fun for you.

I agree in competition standardized rules are necessary, but you can have 2 sets of standardized rules, I also enjoy english soccer, but a better analogy for this would be that in the US we have professional and collegiate sports played with similar but not identical rules, I dont see why we cant distinguish the rules of golf in a similar fashion.

My opinion of the USGA ruining the game is based on the fact that i think the decisions of the USGA regarding equipment have made the game more difficult for the average player thus reducing participation.

• SPY VIP

Outstanding first post!

I like the soccer comparison. I have watched many draw matches and come away fully satisfied. Not sure what that same would be on the golf course though. Thinking about the electronic yardage too, how would the game change if the caddy didn't have the detailed yardage book for each hole?

Volvo Intorqueo

Isn't there already two sets of rules in practice for casual golf vs. tournament golf? For instance, how many times do you walk back to the tee from the fairway with a group behind you to take a penalty?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

The game needs to be sped up with a minimum time restriction per shot. Caddies shouldn't be allowed to offer line advice on putts. GPS devices should be allowed for everyone - as it speeds up and improves play in my experience.

The RandA need to get out of the 19th centtury mindset they are in, and move with the times - a GPS device doesn't hit the shot for you, or affect the lie, or the bounce. Its absolutely no different to having a yardage book with dozens of yardages to every feature of the fairway.

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

USGA planning equipment forum in Fall 2010

http://www.examiner.com/x-1024-Golf-Equipment-Examiner~y2010m3d11-USGA-planning-equipment-forum-in-Fall-2010

In an effort to do what it calls “improve the equipment rulemaking process,'' the U.S. Golf Association will hold a forum on the process of equipment rulemaking in Fall 2010. The forum will be held at Golf House in Far Hills, N.J., on a specific date to be determined.

The USGA says it is inviting “all stakeholders in the game'' to participate, including manufacturers, players, media, golf organizations and other interested parties. The main purpose of this forum, according to the USGA, is to allow stakeholders the opportunity to make their views on equipment rulemaking known to the USGA, and to each other. The USGA said “appropriate protocols'' will be established to allow an efficient and fair opportunity for those wishing to participate.

How the forum will differ from the “public comment'' phase of the equipment rulemaking process remains to be seen. It's no coincidence, however, that the USGA is establishing the forum after the controversial new rule banning square grooves went into affect this past Jan. 1.

In a statement, the USGA said, “We anticipate that the forum will provide input that can help the USGA enhance the rulemaking process, including procedures for making new equipment rules, changing existing rules, and modifying rule-associated measurement systems, as well as enhancing the associated processes for implementing such changes.''

Examples of topics for discussion include:

• The process by which new equipment rules and rule changes are proposed

• Timing and communication of USGA research projects that potentially could lead to rule changes

• Timing and communication of proposed equipment rule changes

• The process and timing for implementing changes to measurement systems and other rule enforcement methods

• Procedures for considering changes to non-performance related rules

• Consideration of the impacts of potential rule changes and the evaluation, after an appropriate time period, of the results of implemented rule changes

• The process of commenting on proposed rule changes, including confidentiality considerations

• Timing of the implementation of rule changes

• The decision-making process, including communication of the reasons for enacting new equipment rules or changing existing equipment rules

• The appropriate balance between technology and skill in player performance

The USGA said the forum can also provide an opportunity “for discussing the process'' by which it renders rulings on individual items of golf equipment submitted for evaluation, as well as consideration of the ways in which relevant information about these rulings might be communicated publicly.

Posted Image

Isn't there already two sets of rules in practice for casual golf vs. tournament golf? For instance, how many times do you walk back to the tee from the fairway with a group behind you to take a penalty?

I always go back if I hit one out of bounds, but I agree with your notion that most dont, and those people who play by the own rules are not affected by the USGA in anyway.

• SPY VIP

Seems like a good step. Would have been better before the groove ruling, but hopefully this type of communication can smooth things in the future.

Volvo Intorqueo

IMHO, the USGA is just out of touch with the everyday golfer.....and they either like it that way, or just don't care that it's that way. I think they just run things for a very small segment...and are happy to do so. I hate to say it, but it seems like it's still an elitist organization.

I always go back if I hit one out of bounds, but I agree with your notion that most dont, and those people who play by the own rules are not affected by the USGA in anyway.

I don't play by my own rules, but on the muni's I play on, if you drive your cart back to the tee everytime you hit a ball out of bounds, you're likely to get your ass kicked. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Marshalls got into the act also.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I don't play by my own rules, but on the muni's I play on, if you drive your cart back to the tee everytime you hit a ball out of bounds, you're likely to get your ass kicked. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Marshalls got into the act also.

This happens to me too. If you go back, the people behind you are going to want to play through, or kill you.

I think two sets of rules might be a good idea... The majority of people playing golf are not pros, nor do they have any desire to be pros... they are just recreational golfers...

Look at just about every other professional sport, and compare to the rec. leagues...

MLB/everyone else - wood/aluminum bats

NBA/everyone else - 3 point line

I'm sure there are lots of others...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I think two sets of rules might be a good idea... The majority of people playing golf are not pros, nor do they have any desire to be pros... they are just recreational golfers...

Look at just about every other professional sport, and compare to the rec. leagues...

MLB/everyone else - wood/aluminum bats

NBA/everyone else - 3 point line

I'm sure there are lots of others...

NFL/ everyone else- 2 feet inbounds for a catch/ 1 foot, you need to be touched to be down/ if you hit the ground, you're down.

The USGA rules majorly impact many parts of the game. Do you think they are starting to ruin the game?

The game became ruined long ago, about the time the rule book became two pages long.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

That's why if you even think it's possible, you hit a provisional. Then you either play it, or pick it up....no driving back.

That's why if you even think it's possible, you hit a provisional. Then you either play it, or pick it up....no driving back.

Good point, but plenty of situations come up when you don't believe your ball will be lost but you end up not finding it. In that circumstance, under Rule 27-1, you take a stroke distance penalty (as long as the original ball hasn't found an obstruction, abnormal ground condition, water hazard, or has been moved by an outside agent).

Does an amateur golfer during a casual round go back to the tee in that situation? I'd say in almost every instance - no.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Good point, but plenty of situations come up when you don't believe your ball will be lost but you end up not finding it. In that circumstance, under Rule 27-1, you take a stroke distance penalty (as long as the original ball hasn't found an obstruction, abnormal ground condition, water hazard, or has been moved by an outside agent).

Does an amateur golfer during a casual round go back to the tee in that situation? I'd say in almost every instance - no.

Remember too that the majority of amateurs who are missing fairways could be classified casual golfers and would just drop and play from the lost position. No extra penalty strokes. I think that the comments about the USGA and their affect on golf really relate more to tournament play, both pro and amateur.

Volvo Intorqueo