Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Matrix program iron shafts

I've been carrying on a conversation with Rookie about these. He's never steered me wrong equipment wise. But at a 44 dollar a club up charge I don't want this to be the first time.

So does anyone have experience with these? I very much like the ball flight of the steel fibers that are in my mizunos. My spine and hands prefer graphite. My gtechs are too light so I know I need heavier. Any informed thoughts will be appreciated.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

PM me your address. I've got a Wilson D100 7i with a Matrix Studio 6.1 regular flex shaft you can have. Test it out or pull it and put it in one of your irons.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks, PM sent.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Bought D100 with this shaft for my dad in August last year. He won 6 tournaments in Portugal (senior golf) this winter. Never played better. It's a very good shaft in any flex. But they do have that "graphite feel" of the previous generation. Not as stable as Recoil and Oban Oi. I'd say that the Matrix shaft was the best graphite iron shaft ever until these new ones were launched.

The Studio and the Program are very different shafts.

Rev who quoted you that price and in what irons? How many clubs?

I'll send you a vendor to contact and see what he quotes for the irons you want.

As far as the Programs, I've toyed with the idea of building an iron set with them because of just how incredibly smooth they are. They're the smoothest graphite iron shaft I've ever tinkered with. The Studio and MFS pale in comparison to the Programs, if I'm being honest. Love the SteelFiber but for someone seeking the relief on the joints graphite offers, they're not the best choice. They play very close to steel in terms of feel. The Programs feel like you're hitting foam balls they're so smooth and soft (not soft in a bad way like a limp noodle, but soft in terms of what they feel like at impact).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

And, if you're looking at the XTD's like you said in your other post, there's a seller on eBay that has them with Program Q85's (the latest generation of programs) for $549 new for a 4-pw set

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Got the PM Rookie. The 44 per club is the up charge on speed blades through global golf. So it's $44 above the cost of the stock shaft. I have $400 credit at global so I'm going to buy from them. I also have a bunch more crap sitting around that they'll give me another $250 for. After that I'll be down to four sets of irons, three sets of woods and some misc. wedges and putters. I doubt I'll liquidate any of that stuff because I want my friends to have choices when they are in town without clubs.

I have nippons in the i20s, steel fibers in the mizunos and gtechs in the Nicklaus irons. Honestly I can play with the steel fibers and not need 10 advils after the round. I can't get through a warm up and round with the nippons whiteout myosin gears killing me which stinks because I get the best ball flight with those. The gtechs are okay but just okay. The ball flights okay, the feedback is too minimal and they balloon at times particularly with higher spin balls.

I'd love to find a graphite shaft that flights the ball something like the nippons. For now I've got the mizunos in the bag because of the shaft. But I know that I can't do an extended practice session with them.

I'm going to hit some irons a bit later today. Thanks for the explanation about the difference between studios and programs. The upgrade to the speed blades are programs so that's hopeful.

I appreciate everyone's input here.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Have you tried and dampening in the Nippons? I don't know if it'd be a 100% cure for the steel issue but I'd imagine it'd help a ton with the too harsh feedback that's causing the problem. Doweling and pro soft inserts would quiet that down a bunch while not altering the flight or playability of them.

Just trying to think of all the options.

In The Bag

Have you tried and dampening in the Nippons? I don't know if it'd be a 100% cure for the steel issue but I'd imagine it'd help a ton with the too harsh feedback that's causing the problem. Doweling and pro soft inserts would quiet that down a bunch while not altering the flight or playability of them.

Just trying to think of all the options.

I appreciate after today I think lighter is better for me too.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived