TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Caddie SC100 Launch Monitor - Review Follow Up

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

Swing Caddie SC100 Launch Monitor - Review Follow Up (By Voice Caddie)

swingcaddie-header-MWG.jpg

http://www.mygolfspy.com/swing-caddie-launch-monitor-review/

So with an additional month of time on the SC100 Personal Launch Monitor behind us, I thought I would follow up with some longer term observations and open it up for forum discussion.

First Nidine and I no longer visit the range without the SC100, it is just too valuable a tool to leave at home.

Case in point: NIdine has been hitting weak blocks to start the season which equated to nearly a loss of 10 yards per club. She could see this via the SC100 as well. During one of my lessons (also her pro) he was watching her swing and mentioned she wasn't firing her hips fast enough. Boom, she straightens out her shots and thanks to the on hand monitor she could instantly see feedback that verified she has regained those 10 yards. Big confidence builder when practicing.

Driver tuning: I was having issues getting comfortable with the fitted SLDR and wanted to play with lofts. Yesterday I hit many a ball alternating between the fitted 10.5° and switching to 11°, I was able to stay at 11° and move to neutral weight which I find easier to hit. So awesome to have the numbers on hand to  reinforce what my eyes were telling me that I wasn't losing yardage.

Training: Nidine gets a ton of use out of the training modes. She already has improved her wedge control this early in the season because of the time spent on the hit the target distance modes.

An issue: (minor) During initial testing I had an issue one of the days getting the SC100 to pick up pretty much any shot. Well this issue came and went over the next 10 range visits. I've finally been able to pin point the problem as it's been the common factor in all instances. When sunlight is behind the range and it casts broken up long shadows (as pictured below) it seems to throw off the radar sensor. From what we can tell the SC100 does a lot better in one consistent lighting situation. Solution has been to move the monitor closer.

sc100-shadows.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Awesome update mbp. Having useful tools like this makes practice much more useful and fun.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I really want this as a rentable product at ranges.  I don't think I would buy one, but I would definitely pay a few bucks to use one at the range a few times.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

MBP, do you find the distances to be fairly accurate still?  Any issues with measuring when there is a draw or fade?  Have the distances on the range translated to the course?  Does using range balls hurt the distance it measures?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great follow up. 

Just about to pull the trigger on buying one since I have to have all the best toys:)

I asked this in another thread, but can you adjust the loft of the clubs on the device?

For example, I use a 50 degree wedge. If it is using the loft to calculate distance, it would be off it thinks the wedge is 48 or 52.

Any concerns about if you hit shots high or low to control the distance?

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

• SPY VIP

Great follow up. 

Just about to pull the trigger on buying one since I have to have all the best toys:)

I asked this in another thread, but can you adjust the loft of the clubs on the device?

For example, I use a 50 degree wedge. If it is using the loft to calculate distance, it would be off it thinks the wedge is 48 or 52.

Any concerns about if you hit shots high or low to control the distance?

Thanks for following

No to loft changing

No concerns with trajectory

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

MBP, do you find the distances to be fairly accurate still? 

YES Very

Any issues with measuring when there is a draw or fade? 

None detected

Have the distances on the range translated to the course? 

Close I think there's always variances using range balls

Does using range balls hurt the distance it measures?

See above

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I've got one of these on order. What distance behind the ball have you found to be the most consistent at recording swings and have you found any problems not having it at the same height as the mat you hit off on the range? Many thanks.

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

I have to say that there was a time when I thought this a ridiculous extravagance. But let's face it with an adjustable driver, fairway and hybrids there's constant tuning and tweeking to be done. A device like this could well become a 15th club in the bag so to speak.

Nice reviews.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great reviews on this unit- thanks for the initial one and the follow up! I've been kicking around setting up a little hitting bay in my back yard, but always end up not doing it because I'd lack feedback.  I think with this unit, hitting into a net wouldn't be a bad alternative for those times when I'm feeling like a quick warm up or don't want to drive to the range.

Received my sc100 two days ago.

Took it to the range yesterday. Used it in both practice mode with multiple clubs and random mode for a few wedge shots.

The unit's reading seemed spot on for the most part.

Today I used it in my hitting area at home. I have a net and Optishot to practice in the winter (which seems to be a 11 months long in Minnesota).

I normally use foam balls on the Optishot, which don't work on the SC100.

Since my net will allow me to hit real balls for chipping and shots under 100 yards, i used the random mode which is random shots under 100 yards.

Worked great.

I think this will be a great device to practice my short game during the winter and long game on the range.

Clark

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

Clark, does it matter how far in front of you the net is? Or does it take the reading the moment you impact the ball. I've got some space on my side yard, but I don't think I'd be able to put the net more than 8ish feet away from the mat I'd hit off of. Does the ball need to travel a certain distance before the unit makes it's calculation?

I only have about 6 feet and it hasn't had a problem picking up the ball with wedges.

Due to my net and ceiling level, I can't hit drivers or long irons. One of the reason I use foam balls with the Optishot.

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

Got it. I'd definitely want to be able to hit long irons at the very least. And ideally fire off a few with the driver. Is there is reason why it won't register a foam ball? I have a handful of those AlmostGolf balls. Those are awesome!

I use the same balls on my optishot. The AlmostBalls do register but the speed is quite a bit slower then a real ball, which accounts for the distance of foam balls.

I also don't hit longer irons due to the cars being in the garage since I have room for the optishot with them inside. Foam balls don't dent the cars:)

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

After reading the reviews and comments here I decided to take the plunge and pick one up.  Have to say that it is a very nice little tool to have on the range with me and really gives a nice baseline for SS and ball speed.  After a few range sessions with it I am pleasantly surprised with the results.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Great write-up on this device!  In my personal experience, I have found it to be precise enough to tell the difference in ball speeds between two different balls relatively easy.  The range I go to sits adjacent to three different holes so we get a generous smattering of 'real' balls in every bucket of range balls.  Because of this, I have learned to adjust my expected carry based on the type of ball I am hitting at the range and work on precise distances in my garage at home where one, it is warmer, and two, I can dial it in with my current gamer, the Nike Rzn Black.

A second point about this device is the inability to delete a mis-projection when working in practice mode.  If it does exist and I am just not smart enough to find it, that would be great.  Every now and then, it will display a shot some 75 yards over or under my average when using driver.  Ordinarily, it doesn't matter much, but when I am testing one ball or driver setting versus another, that discrepant shot can destroy an entire test session.  I have learned to get around this by keeping my test segments down to five at a time, but it still would be nice to be able to delete the errant mis-projections.

As for limiting the issues with missing shots altogether, I have found that with driver, it seems to work best for me about 4-6 inches outside of the target line and angled towards the ball; with irons it works best directly behind the ball.

Remember...Your focus determines your reality.  - Qui-Gon Jinn (rumored +3 handicap)

I heard that they unveiled the sc200 at the pga show.  Anyone hear of a MSRP?  interested as i can get the sc100 fairly cheap.  I believe it has smash factor, and ball spin added to the calculations.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

I have to say that there was a time when I thought this a ridiculous extravagance. But let's face it with an adjustable driver, fairway and hybrids there's constant tuning and tweeking to be done. A device like this could well become a 15th club in the bag so to speak.

That's likely spot on as prices drop on the technology.  I can see myself using it to even out iron gaps.... and like Rev said...tweaking adjustable clubs.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I went ahead and got one brand new and relatively cheap off flea-bay.  Should get here in a few days.  I'm going to use it for (among other things) my Paderson Shaft testing.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed any erratic performance at lower temps?  I could not get a single accurate reading tonight at around 32F; spec is supposedly 14F.  Sorry, but even in my dreams, I don't average 151 mph swing speed with a 3 wood...  

Remember...Your focus determines your reality.  - Qui-Gon Jinn (rumored +3 handicap)

Has anyone noticed any erratic performance at lower temps?  I could not get a single accurate reading tonight at around 32F; spec is supposedly 14F.  Sorry, but even in my dreams, I don't average 151 mph swing speed with a 3 wood...

Its prolly those push ups you have been doing ;)

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I bought one....but it doesn't usually get that cold here :-))

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I got one a few weeks ago and used it while it was 35*. Didn't seem to have any issues.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I tried one of these, and was not impressed.  I hit atleast 50 drivers on it, and the max distance it would show was 300 yards.  ES14 is much better and gives much more information

I must assume your drives are normally +300 yards?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived