Cobra to Release BiO Cell PRO Driver (finally)

• SPY VIP

Cobra Golf has finally announced the driver I've been waiting for since the BiO Cell line was first introduced.

The new (available 5/1) BiO Cell Pro is 440cc version of the BiO Cell driver (obviously), and if you want to extended that out, the logical inference is that that BiO Cell Pro is the direct replacement for last year's awesome Amp Cell Pro. Like I said...finally.

I played a blue Amp Cell Pro most of last year, and quite frankly, I love it so much (both the way it looks, feels, and performs) that I dropped it back in the back for my round last Saturday. I still love it (almost unnaturally so).

bio-plus-spec.png

Anyway...unbeknownst to most the BioCell Pro driver has been the driver of choice this season for Rickie Fowler, Jesper Parnevik, and now Greg Norman.

Hey Man...Where's the CG?

Because we all love a good CG story these days, here's the BiO Pro's: Not only does BiO Cell Pro offer the lowest CG in the Cobra family, it's the lowest in golf. 

And about that...

At the heart of all of this CG stuff is the relationship between CG placement and the neutral axis. So what is the neutral axis? 

neutral.png

That line that extends 90° perpendicular to the center of the face, that's the neutral axis. To maximize performance engineers like to place the CG as close as they can to that neutral axis. The closer CG is to the neutral axis, the less gearing occurs, and the more efficiently energy is transferred at impact.

So now that we understand that, let me drop some numbers on you.

Distance from CG to Neutral Axis

Cobra BiO Cell+:  ~2.2mm
TaylorMade SLDR: ~2.2mm

Big Bertha Alpha (Low CG Position): ~1.9mm

Cobra BiO Cell Pro: .5mm

More Numbers:

For those looking for some insight into performance expectations, at the same loft, BiO Cell+ produces roughly 350-400RPM less spin that BiO CELL.  The expectation is that BiO Cell Pro will spin another 350-400PRM less than that while launching slightly higher (.5°), with a more penetrating trajectory.

With respect to MOI (forgiveness), the BiO CELL Pro is only slightly more forgiving than the SLDR and Big Bertha Alpha, and realistically most players probably wouldn't notice, but it's enough that Cobra can boast of offering the most forgiving better player driver in golf.

So Who is BioCell Pro For?

I asked Jose Miraflor that exact question, and his initial answer was Shane Bacon. Really...that's what he told me. To clarify...Shane is a really good player. He's a plus handicap that generates quite a bit of spin.

So BiO Cell Pro is for better players seeking less spin, a flatter trajectory, square face, and of course, good looks. It's definitely not a driver that's going to fit the majority of golfers, and it's not in Cobra's nature to oversell it. As a company, they're genuinely interested in helping people enjoy the game, and that means putting the right club in the right hands.

Miraflor believes that BiO CELL Pro is "one of the best drivers that nobody will know about".

Let's see what we can do to change that. 

bio-pro2.png

bio-family-compare.PNG

The BiO CELL Pro will be available in Orange, Blue, and Black for $399.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I traded in my Nike Covert two weeks ago at Dick's....They were giving 150% of trade in value, so I traded in a set of Mizuno JPX800HD's for the Cobra Bio Cell Driver & 3 wood. Then I traded in my Nike Covert Driver & 3 wood, along with the VRPro CB irons for the Bio Cell 5 wood & 2 hybrid........all of course came in Wildcat Blue.

They look sweet and perform even sweeter.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

If this is anything like the bio cell + fw, I cannot wait to see it. That fw is hot!

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

If it's truly that low spin of a head, do you foresee any issues with only offering up to a 10 degree loft?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

If it's truly that low spin of a head, do you foresee any issues with only offering up to a 10 degree loft?

In this case, no. Cobra has no intent of marketing BiO Cell Pro to the masses. They won't be talking about adding loft or anything like that. This is a driver that's definitely not for everyone...probably not even for most, and Cobra is being very upfront about that. If you're a good fit for the driver that's awesome, but if you're not then you should be looking at regular BiO Cell or BiO Cell+.

It really is designed for the higher spin player and that's a guy who usually hits optimum numbers for his AoA and Ball Speed at 10° of loft or less. 

To an extent it comes down to the argument between what's optimal and what's achievable. TaylorMade is right...17/1700 is optimal. As you've probably read, I've run the numbers through independent trajectory models, and 17/1700 is the average number. TaylorMade says that's ideal, people's misunderstandings aside, they never said SLDR gets you there.

The practical reality is that most of us can't get there with today's technology..I can't get close. For me 9.5° is lofting up. For the market the BiO Pro is designed for, 10° should be plenty.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Quick question....I am a 2 hdcp, swing speed of driver 115. I cannot for the life of me get my spin down under 3000.

Anyone have suggestions?

I swing a taylormade SLDR, I have had the stock shaft, fujikura motore speeder tour spec7.2, and the fujikura fuel....still no luck.

Anyone?

Thanks

In the bag-

PXG Proto driver

PXG Gen 3 XPs

Callaway Jaws 54,58

Scotty

So here's my question.  Since the neutral axis is perpendicular to the center of the face like the illustration shows, wouldn't that line change based on what loft the driver is?  So if they're saying the CG is the closest to that line, if the loft goes up or down, doesn't the neutral axis also change with it?  What loft is the CG closest to that line.

Oh and what shaft is this club coming with?

My bag is a revolving door!

I would imagine that in terms of the stamped loft of the club, as that changes yes the neutral axis of the driver would change, but so would the location of the center of gravity as the physical structure of the driver changes.

In terms of changing the loft via the shaft tip in adjustable drivers, that would not change the location of the center of gravity in relation to the neutral axis as the nuetral axis does not move.

I hope that comes through clear enough, is kind of hard to explain without a white board lol

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

So here's my question.  Since the neutral axis is perpendicular to the center of the face like the illustration shows, wouldn't that line change based on what loft the driver is?  So if they're saying the CG is the closest to that line, if the loft goes up or down, doesn't the neutral axis also change with it?  What loft is the CG closest to that line.

Oh and what shaft is this club coming with?

Matrix Red Tie 6Q3

Diamana D+ 72

Project XV Tour 52

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

According to a Cobra, the cost is the same as the Bio Cell+ at $399, with 3 color choices, black, orange or blue in right hand only.

IMG_20140219_190403_587.jpg

This has been my impact pattern with my Amp Cell Pro with good results. The D+ Mitsubishi Rayon shaft has been great for me. I really want to try the Bio Cell Pro now. I can't find hardly any Cobra equipment in Albuquerque to even look at though. For some reason they don't pay attention to Cobra in the shops here. I sure would like the blue BC Pro. I like the fact it doesn't have the white perimeter. I'm not crazy about that on the Plus.

Quick question....I am a 2 hdcp, swing speed of driver 115. I cannot for the life of me get my spin down under 3000.

Anyone have suggestions?

I swing a taylormade SLDR, I have had the stock shaft, fujikura motore speeder tour spec7.2, and the fujikura fuel....still no luck.

Anyone?

Thanks

Tough to diagnose without seeing some LM data...  If I had to guess, I would say that AofA is probably a bit steep..

Driver - :taylormade-small:   SIM2 Max 9° Tour MT 6-S   or   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway - :srixon-small: ZX  3 wd. Ventus VeloCore Blue S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Anyone have suggestions?

Anyone?

Thanks

What does' your ball flight look like?  High/Low   Fade/Draw

How is your contact in relationship to the center of the face?

What does' your ball flight look like?  High/Low   Fade/Draw

How is your contact in relationship to the center of the face?

In my experience I have had more success in lowering a players spin by addressing contact issues.  AOA is important for maximizing distance through launch angle but I've found all else being equal that it doesn't affect spin as much as say hitting lower on the face.  I have had players that hit up as much as 7 degrees that have high launch  high spin because the strike it below the cg and under the bulge on the face.  

Get some deodorant spray and bring it with you for your next monitor session.  Spray the face after every few shots and record your contact pattern.

what unit are you using to measure your spin rates currently?

We had a demo day this weekend, so I was able to hit this against my Alpha. The Cobra product has been growing on me over the last couple of years, so I was excited to hear about this offering. The head shape was very nice, solid feel and weight to it. The club performed well for me, it has a very solid feel at impact and the ball really feels like it jumps off the face. The trajectory was nice, a penetrating flight that stayed on line even with a slight left to right breeze. I didn't feel as comfortable with it as I do with my Alpha, but getting the right shaft in it I feel I could easily play this driver.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• 1 month later...
  • SPY VIP

I can't play like Shane Bacon, but so far I love this driver a bunch. Range sessions have put it in the bag for the weekend.

bluecobrapro.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I can't play like Shane Bacon, but so far I love this driver a bunch. Range sessions have put it in the bag for the weekend.

attachicon.gifbluecobrapro.jpg

Dave, 

Bumped your ping huh?... I'd be curious to hear how this stacks up against the PING, SLDR etc.  I loved the ACP sorry I got rid of it right now.

Would really like to get my hands on a demo but my guys here in KC metro area say its doubtful they get any.