TESTERS WANTED! ×

SLDR irons

RookieBlue7

First impressions....   WOW

TaylorMade is going to sell a TON of these... 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

First impressions.... WOW.

TaylorMade is going to sell a TON of these...

I thought the same thing after hitting them.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm always interested in trying out irons when they come out, and these rank particularly high on my must demo list now.

After looking at the specs MBP put up just now, that's thing I always have a hard time with is comparing apples to apples.  Because with the iron set I've got, they are nearly a club off from what's considered a "modern" set.  My 4 iron is this sets 5 iron, and each iron down the list is effectively 1 degree off from the SLDR counterpart.  (my 5 iron is 27 vs. SLDR 6 iron is 28).  It gets a little weird when we get down to the PW.  My 9 is 44 and the SLDR PW is 46!  So far when I compare similarly lofted clubs the Wishon's hold up each time.  I can't wait for these to hit the shelves and see what happens.

This may be pure conjecture on my part but the lofts may be a degree or two off due to the faces being hotter. Not condemming TM but to me they look like a cross between an AP2 and a Srixon but that is my opinion also

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm certain there is validity in your statement because these 770s are maybe 8-10 years old. So with the new technology out there a 1 degree weaker club should out perform mine. Still haven't hit the SLDR irons, but these are right up there with the Callaway Apex as far as what I'm eventually going to replace my wishons with.

This may be pure conjecture on my part but the lofts may be a degree or two off due to the faces being hotter. Not condemming TM but to me they look like a cross between an AP2 and a Srixon but that is my opinion also

My first impression was AP2 as well. That's not a bad thing.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...

My buddy, who is hovering around 6-7 HCP, games AP2s and hit the SLDR irons last night, he said SLDR were on average 7-8 yards longer and had close to an identical feel.

He is a titleist guy through and through but admitted if he didn't have Ap2s the SLDRs would make him think twice before buying the Ap2s.

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

I have exactly one round of golf in with my SLDR irons. I am playing them with c-taper s+ shafts with sensicore inserts, 8 gram tip weights, and pure dtx grips.

All I have to say is WOW. Stupid easy to hit and the ball just wants to go straight! I like to swing the irons at about 75% and these are a dream to hit. They don't kite on me, plenty of distance with a nice flat flight with plenty of spin. Went after one during the hole round, 237 yards on a par five, second shot, three iron, landed ten feet left of the hole with the ball ending up about a feet left and a foot behind the pitch mark.

Looks are fantastic, but feel leaves a little something to be desired. Could be the way I have them set up, but I am not an idiot so I wasn't expecting these to feel like a set of mizuno mp's.

If you haven't tried them, do it. I would put them in the same category as the callaway apex, but they are two different sets of irons; extremely different.

There's a way around that, IMO. If they can forge the heads then mill everything out. Don't know what that would cosh but it's fix the tinky feel. That said, they say these fixed that issue

That is exactly what Infiniti golf did with the TS-10 and TS-12 heads but then again they are not mass producing as many heads as TM either

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Apprenti23,

Did you have any glare off the face of the clubs?

Just ordered a set with C tapers and the only thing that worried me was the polish chrome finish!

And what was the ball flight like off the turf? Only hit them in a simulator with crappy balls!

Glad to hear some feedback and can't wait to get on the course with mine!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

Nike method core MC01w

My buddy, who is hovering around 6-7 HCP, games AP2s and hit the SLDR irons last night, he said SLDR were on average 7-8 yards longer and had close to an identical feel.

He is a titleist guy through and through but admitted if he didn't have Ap2s the SLDRs would make him think twice before buying the Ap2s.

Was your mate comparing the same iron? I just say this because the 7-8 yards he found might have been due to the strengthened lofts on the SLDR's as apposed to the AP2's

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

He hit 15 with an SLDR and 15 with an Ap2. I didn't realize the 2 deg difference between the 7 irons.

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

Nike method core MC01w

I noticed that Wilson is selling an iron set at Dick's with the slot in every iron.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Only $199 for new technology!......no, wait, Wilson introduced this  40 years ago.

51TLJ6LllxL.jpg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

No no no they are $149.99! Gotta read the fine print ;) for that price how could you say no!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

Nike method core MC01w

• 2 weeks later...

Archived