TESTERS WANTED! ×

To smoke or not to smoke

GolfSpy Tim

I love smoking a cigar on the course, but I've never shot a better score and normally a worse score when smoking.

I've had to put myself into a mental spot of not really caring about my round when smoking a cigar.

Have any of you been able to balance smoking a cigar and playing at a normal level?

(mind you, a cigar for me requires a drink, so it may have more to do with the drink(s)) ;-)

I do enjoy a smoke on the course, but find that it means fumbling around with yet another "accessory" of sorts, and one that you can't just set on the ground to hit a shot. So no, I don't smoke during what passes for a serious round for me. Tournament play, for example. But sometimes there is nothing as nice as a great smoke on the course. And drinks, naturally.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I don't smoke at all but....... I definitely enjoy my spirits! Not always but, at times, I have a flask of good bourbon or scotch with me. It usually doesn't bode well for the score but, sometimes the score is secondary to being on the course with good friends and just enjoying the day.

I have ruined many a good round by lighting up a smoke, but I have also salvaged bad rounds.  If I know I'm going to smoke, I light up before the round, to give the cigar it's chance to affect my system; If I'm having a bad round, I'll light up, for the same reason.  It's really just a frame of mind though, the same with shooting a bad round or good round.

I don't drink anymore, simply because it bothers my stomach and gives me a headache, but I generally smoke cigars and/or cigarettes on the course.  I've got an ashtray & holder that I use on the cart so I don't leave trash on the grounds.  I probably play better, as I've smoked all my life and a full round without one (particularly if it's a slow round) is a long time for me to go without smoking.

It depends on who I'm playing with, as I know it bothers some folks object to it and I don't make a big deal about it.  Of course, if it bothers them, I generally don't play with them on a regular basis ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I do smoke while golfing, but I will usually smoke a 'yard gar' since I know I won't be able to enjoy it properly.

If I'm pulling out a Padron 46, Le Bijou 1922, or heck even a MUWAT I want to be able to sit and enjoy it, not work to keep it lit; worry about dropping it and so on.

Archived