The 4 Year Torture Test: Rubber vs Leather

4 years ago I wanted to experiment with a new leather I had just started prototyping. I shafted it on an old shaft and placed it next to another, similar style grip. That grip was a Gridiron Club Grip and the similar grip was a chorded rubber grip.

So after 4 years, one grip is playable, the other... a stark reminder of what age and the elements can do to the industry leaders.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Four years?  I will say that my rubber driver grips never last more than two months before I have worn a hole under my right thumb. Winn grips last even less time than that.  I have had the Best Grips Micro Perforated on there for 7 months and no wear as of yet.

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

@RoverRick - These have not been touched or swung. 

@WhiskeyGolf - They have sat outside in the same location 24/7/364.25 for the last 4 years.

Side note: rubber will begin dry rotting immediately, even it is in the wrapper. Watch out for deep discount closeout grips. 

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

I bought a Karma Putter Grip once and a week after I put it on it was time to change it.  So I did, for Major Leaguer.

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65g

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

• 1 month later...

@RoverRick - These have not been touched or swung. 

@WhiskeyGolf - They have sat outside in the same location 24/7/364.25 for the last 4 years.

Side note: rubber will begin dry rotting immediately, even it is in the wrapper. Watch out for deep discount closeout grips.

You are so right about rubber grips dry rotting even inside in the wrapper the cheaper the grip the quicker it rots especially the Karma ones. Winn grips are also bad about dry rotting. We see that a lot here especially the wraps. A lot of our snowbirds will leave a set of clubs here in their condo or house when they go up North for the summer and after a winter season of golf and being stored over the summer they are shot and they are nasty when you take them off

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

Those Winn putter grips get really disgusting at golf shops on used putters.

Yeah buddy just downright rotten and nasty

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

• 1 month later...

Living in FLA, you cannot store golf clubs with Winn Grips in your garage. The temperature in the garage can get up to way over 100* during the day.  One Summer will see them disentegrate.  I do have my Powerbilts in the garage, but they have Black Widow grips and have not seen any disentegration.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.