Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Calling the Wedge Experts - Need grind advice

I've decided to give Hopkin's Wedges a try, but could use some help deciding on grinds. To help here's a little about me

• Driver swing speed: 95 MPH, Lob Wedge Distance is 60 yards

• I play mostly in Northern Illinois (Soft Conditions and Bent Grass Prevail)

• I have a steeper than normal swing and am a slider/sweeper/picker of the ball (no to very little divot)

• Usual miss is thin OR crater size divots

• My biggest frustration is getting too much under the ball and it popping straight in the air from deep/thick rough

I'm going to get a 50°, 55°, 60° set, but need grind recommendations to suit my profile and conditions I play in. The Hopkins Grind Overview can be found here.

I really appreciate all the help and if you need ANY information from me whatsoever please don't hesitate to ask.

I'd email Hopkins golf your questions. Personally, I really like the ARC style grinds because then I can use all my wedges on all shots and choose which one purely based on distance. This is the same sort of sole as the SCOR V-Sole or TM ATV.

I play in the northeast where sand is grainy and the rough can vary from feeling like straw to very lush.

I'd email Hopkins golf your questions. Personally, I really like the ARC style grinds because then I can use all my wedges on all shots and choose which one purely based on distance. This is the same sort of sole as the SCOR V-Sole or TM ATV.

I play in the northeast where sand is grainy and the rough can vary from feeling like straw to very lush.

So when I go to the online purchase tool at Hopkins I get the following recommendation based purely on my region

50° = Full sole grind (for versatility)
55° = Channel grind (for varied sand conditions and tight lies)
60° = Wide grind (for playability around the green)

When I emailed their customer support number with the same details I laid out here I was recommended this

50° = Full Sole
54° = Heel/Toe (for increased playability no matter what the course conditions are)
58° = Heel (so you can open it up and hit it like you're used to hitting your 60)

It's the inconsistency in the two recommendations that has me seeking out some outside opinions :D

That ARC grind sounds interesting too which just further complicates the matter.  My lack of really understanding the grind options :( 

I can't really talk about other grinds because I have only played Full sole and Arc style grinds, and haven't tried Hopkins wedges at all. Others on the forums, like Rookieblue, can give you a lot more info on grinds and why they prefer one over the other.

I'm really interested in them though and my next wedge set (probably next year) very well may come from Hopkins. They do have a 30 day guarantee, so you can try one set and if it doesn't work, return it for something else. I did find it odd that they don't offer all grinds for all lofts. For example, ARC grinds are only available for 52* and 54* wedges and Channel grinds are used for 56* - 60*.

Sorry I can't help more, but keep us up to date with whatever you decide on.

I can't really talk about other grinds because I have only played Full sole and Arc style grinds, and haven't tried Hopkins wedges at all. Others on the forums, like Rookieblue, can give you a lot more info on grinds and why they prefer one over the other.

I'm really interested in them though and my next wedge set (probably next year) very well may come from Hopkins. They do have a 30 day guarantee, so you can try one set and if it doesn't work, return it for something else. I did find it odd that they don't offer all grinds for all lofts. For example, ARC grinds are only available for 52* and 54* wedges and Channel grinds are used for 56* - 60*.

Sorry I can't help more, but keep us up to date with whatever you decide on.

You've been plenty helpful so no worries!  Hopefully Rookieblue and some others have the chance to chime in :D

I am gonna chime in and give my .02  If I had your divot pattern, (I do) and i played in softer conditions on Bent Grass (I also do) I would seriously consider

50* - Full Sole Grind

55* - Arc Grind

60* - Wide Sole Grind

Thinking is as follows..

With a 50*, I am either hitting full shots, or chipping around the green. so I would prefer something close to my regular PW grind for consistency.

With the 55* I will use this more out of sand and varied lies around the green, as well as in full shots, so versatility is key. I absolutely need more bounce in the bunkers and longer-softer grass that we have around here.

As far as the 60* goes, when my misses are either thin or huge pelts, I know that I need more bounce. That is why the Wide Sole grind. 

full disclosure, I am an average player with my wedges...  but that is not because they don't fit me...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'm not all that familiar with their grind names but here's my thoughts. You're a digger, no two ways about it. I'd pick the grind that has a blunted leading edge and as much sole width as possible that has the toe and heel killed as much as possible. Higher bounce is your friend, especially with your swing type and soil conditions.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm not all that familiar with their grind names but here's my thoughts. You're a digger, no two ways about it. I'd pick the grind that has a blunted leading edge and as much sole width as possible that has the toe and heel killed as much as possible. Higher bounce is your friend, especially with your swing type and soil conditions.

I'm curious why you say I'm a digger?  Not saying you're wrong, but I would classify myself as a slider/sweeper/picker of the golf ball.  Yes I occasionally do take huge divots, but that's always when something crazy happens with my swing.

I am gonna chime in and give my .02  If I had your divot pattern, (I do) and i played in softer conditions on Bent Grass (I also do) I would seriously consider

50* - Full Sole Grind

55* - Arc Grind

60* - Wide Sole Grind

Thinking is as follows..

With a 50*, I am either hitting full shots, or chipping around the green. so I would prefer something close to my regular PW grind for consistency.

With the 55* I will use this more out of sand and varied lies around the green, as well as in full shots, so versatility is key. I absolutely need more bounce in the bunkers and longer-softer grass that we have around here.

As far as the 60* goes, when my misses are either thin or huge pelts, I know that I need more bounce. That is why the Wide Sole grind. 

full disclosure, I am an average player with my wedges...  but that is not because they don't fit me...

Thank you VERY much for your feedback

I'm curious why you say I'm a digger? Not saying you're wrong, but I would classify myself as a slider/sweeper/picker of the golf ball. Yes I occasionally do take huge divots, but that's always when something crazy happens with my swing.

You kind of contradicted yourself. You said you were very steep but you're a slider/sweeper/picker. Kind of two opposites there. Maybe you get steep on your misses but not typically?

No worries..  Hope  it helps.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

You kind of contradicted yourself. You said you were very steep but you're a slider/sweeper/picker. Kind of two opposites there. Maybe you get steep on your misses but not typically?

So I probably am not explaining it well, but basically I've been told (by a coach) that my take away is steep.  I pick the ball though and 99% of the time take no divot. 

So you've got a hitch at the top to flatten the arc out at the bottom. In that case, go opposite of what I said with the exception of the slightly blunted leading edge (because the ground it soft it'll mitigate the initial digging that will happen if you get too steep). When you said steep I was thinking you meant on the downswing not the takeaway. Any time I've ever heard it described as steep it always references the downswing.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

So you've got a hitch at the top to flatten the arc out at the bottom. In that case, go opposite of what I said with the exception of the slightly blunted leading edge (because the ground it soft it'll mitigate the initial digging that will happen if you get too steep). When you said steep I was thinking you meant on the downswing not the takeaway. Any time I've ever heard it described as steep it always references the downswing.

I actually ordered a SkyPro last night and it should be here today.  (Go-go Amazon next day delivery)  I will post up some swings, specifically with my wedges, because for all I know the swing has changed in the last two years.

Archived