TESTERS WANTED! ×

16 Club Rule?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Should it change...recently talked to a big wig in the industry and he thinks it would help tremendously for recreational golfers. Extra wedge and hybrid in the bag maybe...could it hurt the game or help the game?

What do you think fellas?

#TruthDigest

This is a good question. I was just looking at some irons and trying to figure out how to reduce the gaps in my lofts and with the irons I am looking at the PW is lofted strongly at 43* which puts me in a dilemma with wedges. With the set I was looking at I would carry 6-PW and 4 wedges instead of my normal 5-PW with 3 wedges. I think allowing recreational golfers the ability to carry 2 extra clubs would only add to helping them fill gaps and it would also help the club companies as they would be selling more clubs in turn.

I wouldn't mind seeing the rule go the other way: 10 to 12 clubs max.

Rounds at one's local course may actually go faster: lighter bag for those who walk, fewer clubs to choose from - and therefore, less mental agonizing - when deciding how to approach a shot.

In addition, aren't most golfers not very precise in reality? Do we really need to have loft increments of 3 or 4 degrees? Don't the majority of us probably need 5 deg. increments between clubs in order to get 10 to 15 yard differences. Some may call that crazy, but I know for a fact that Ryan Moore, who recently signed on with Scratch Golf, is currently playing with clubs at 5 deg. increments. Venerated Ping even made an iron set not so long ago that had 5 deg loft differences - the G2 EZ.

Fewer clubs, I say ... not more! :o

• SPY VIP

I totally agree. I think it would help the game in a lot fo ways and also be a stimulus package for the industry as well. I see no down sides to it for the recreational golfer.

This is a good question. I was just looking at some irons and trying to figure out how to reduce the gaps in my lofts and with the irons I am looking at the PW is lofted strongly at 43* which puts me in a dilemma with wedges. With the set I was looking at I would carry 6-PW and 4 wedges instead of my normal 5-PW with 3 wedges. I think allowing recreational golfers the ability to carry 2 extra clubs would only add to helping them fill gaps and it would also help the club companies as they would be selling more clubs in turn.

#TruthDigest

I think the golf world would flip a lid and not be with it one bit. To much tradition and prestige in the GAME. True it would help average person and industry see a big surge in clubs being bought to put those more clubs in the bag but the rule would probally never change. And to be honest the average perosn that is on the golf course if they wanted 16 clubs probally has 16 clubs lol..

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

I've actually played better carrying 9 clubs in my bag. Took out all the odd number clubs in my bag and carries a sleeve of balls. Walked too and it was much lighter on the body. Played really well. Less is the new more! LOL

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

I think if we are to scale the ball back in the future (won't happen) then they should allow 16 clubs in the bag. Used to be unlimited amount of clubs you can carry. Hagan had something like 24 clubs when he won a US Open.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I think if we are to scale the ball back in the future (won't happen) then they should allow 16 clubs in the bag. Used to be unlimited amount of clubs you can carry. Hagan had something like 24 clubs when he won a US Open.

3JACK

Oh my goodness. I wouldn't know what to do with 24 clubs. I'd carry 2 drivers, 2 putters and a slew of wedges. Sad thing is that Id probably shoot the same score. LMAO! But seriously. Maybe I should pick up an FT9 Tour draw to carry along with my neutral.

Oh my goodness. I wouldn't know what to do with 24 clubs. I'd carry 2 drivers, 2 putters and a slew of wedges. Sad thing is that Id probably shoot the same score. LMAO! But seriously. Maybe I should pick up an FT9 Tour draw to carry along with my neutral.

Hey is this Phil Mickelson? You can ID yourself, we all know you already carry two drivers! LOL.

Me if I'm walking I'm fine with my limit of 14 clubs! But since my home course makes you ride in the am and until 1:00pm during the weekends and our tee times are between 6:30 and 7:30 every Sat. and Sun.I have no problem putting a couple extra clubs in the bag if that's the New rule. It would be nice to have extra wedges.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Hey is this Phil Mickelson? You can ID yourself, we all know you already carry two drivers! LOL.

Me if I'm walking I'm fine with my limit of 14 clubs! But since my home course makes you ride in the am and until 1:00pm during the weekends and our tee times are between 6:30 and 7:30 every Sat. and Sun.I have no problem putting a couple extra clubs in the bag if that's the New rule. It would be nice to have extra wedges.

Tim

LMAO! No no no. Wish I had half his game. I'd be on tour too! LOL

16 clubs? No, no, no... I'd rather see less clubs, especially for amateurs. I'm of the firm belief for beginners and lots of higher handicap players, it'd be more beneficial for them to carry less clubs, and simplify the game. They don't need 4 or 5 wedges to choose from because they likely already struggle with the ones they carry. The same can be said for the rest of the bag.

On the flip side, for manufacturers, it'd be of greater benefit to them for the club rule to be expanded. It would provide them more opportunities to sell clubs, which would be good for them.

It really depends on what side of the coin you're on I suppose. If you're selling equipment, you want it to expand because the bottom line increases. If you want to see golfers improve or not get frustrated with the game, then you want it to remain where it is or even grow smaller.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't think it will do the game any good, and SPECIALLY for recreational golfers like most of us. More clubs = more choices = more ways to play bad shots. I have only 12 clubs and I don't think I need anything more.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

The rule is fine and it does not need to be changed, but...... If anything, the limit should be increased for the sake of golf manufacturers to sell more clubs and give the casual player more options. If I am walking a course, depending on its length, I can get away with 9-12 clubs without much concern of not being able to play any shot and I try to keep the bag as light as possible.....but whe I ride in a cart, I do not have the weight issue to deal with and I may at times bring the full bag plus extra clubs that I take to the range with me to practice.....extra clubs like wedges, hybrid and driver...lest not forget I will always carry two putters as well.

Unless you are playing in a tournament, if you can play by the rules of golf in principle, as a gentleman, you should be able to declare the 14 clubs you intend to play with for a score....or for your nassau bet.

Unless you play in the Low 70's and have great club control, i dont see the purpose of playing 14 clubs. When you think about it. a 58 degree wedge can be a 60 degree by opening the clubface. same goes for a 52 to a 54 or 56... i guess its a question of philosophy where you believe in playing with 1 club for different type of shots or many clubs for one specific purpose. Im more into using 1 club for different types of shot but then, im not a scratch player yet.

I think that increasing the number of clubs only complicates the game for amateurs. By allowing fewer clubs this would make people think about what clubs to put in their bags. Also, in my opinion, it would make users concentrate on a limited number of clubs to work with. Everyone should be able to use a PW to sub for a LW. It makes the person a better player.

dmarshal17

09 TaylorMade Burner Driver 9.5 deg

Adams RPM 3 Wood

09 TaylorMade Rescue #3 19 deg

Callaway X22 irons (3-PW)

Callaway X12 Sand Wedge

Titelist Vokey Wedge (58 deg)

Odyssey White Hot XG#5 Center Shafted

Hey, I'm on Twitter!

Unless you play in the Low 70's and have great club control, i dont see the purpose of playing 14 clubs. When you think about it. a 58 degree wedge can be a 60 degree by opening the clubface. same goes for a 52 to a 54 or 56... i guess its a question of philosophy where you believe in playing with 1 club for different type of shots or many clubs for one specific purpose. Im more into using 1 club for different types of shot but then, im not a scratch player yet.

NO MORE CLUBS!!!!!

If you want to become a better golfer, really want to work at it you should play with half of your clubs. It will teach you to be a better ball-striker and you will learn more shots that you could use on a daily basis.

Lets say with your normal iron swing you hit an 8 iron 150 yards(85-90% of maximum swing which is how hard you should swing your irons) you should learn to hit your 6, 7, and 9 irons all 150 yards. I am not talking about good players that can also hook into the wind, cut it into the wind hit knock-downs and all types of shots with their irons. I am talking average joe that shoots 90 could REALLY improve his score by learning to hit one club less and one to two clubs more with different ball positions the same distance.

For me I hit my 8 iron 163 yards. I can hit my 9 iron that far, I can hit a 7 iron that far and I can hit a 6 iron that far. My grandfather made me play golf with half my clubs every time we played. I can hit a three wood high or low same with the driver and hybrid. I am a better player for it and it would help average golfer as well.

Chris Jordan

23836_1246921490608_1156541241_30561961_4305609_s.jpg

Sunset Beach Custom Putters

Email me

Driver: Adams Fast 10 w/ Matrix Ozik TP6HD

3 Wood: Nickent 3dx Tour 3+ w/ UST Mamiya Black

5 Wood: Bridgestone J38 / Motore F1

Hybrid: TM Rescue TP 22* w/ UST Mamiya Black

4-PW: Bridgestone J38 Dual Pocket Cavity w/ Project X

52* and 58* - J38 Black Oxide w/ Project X

Putter - SSB Ocracoke in Oil-Rubbed Bronze

Ball - Srixon Z-Star Tour Diamond or Bridgestone B-330S

NO MORE CLUBS!!!!!

If you want to become a better golfer, really want to work at it you should play with half of your clubs. It will teach you to be a better ball-striker and you will learn more shots that you could use on a daily basis.

Lets say with your normal iron swing you hit an 8 iron 150 yards(85-90% of maximum swing which is how hard you should swing your irons) you should learn to hit your 6, 7, and 9 irons all 150 yards. I am not talking about good players that can also hook into the wind, cut it into the wind hit knock-downs and all types of shots with their irons. I am talking average joe that shoots 90 could REALLY improve his score by learning to hit one club less and one to two clubs more with different ball positions the same distance.

For me I hit my 8 iron 163 yards. I can hit my 9 iron that far, I can hit a 7 iron that far and I can hit a 6 iron that far. My grandfather made me play golf with half my clubs every time we played. I can hit a three wood high or low same with the driver and hybrid. I am a better player for it and it would help average golfer as well.

I absolutely agree. I've played better and had one of my best ballstriking rounds with only 9 clubs in the bag. If I needed to hit a 7-iron, I choked down and hit a sweet 6-iron and was pin high. I totally agree.

Good stuff Chris. Glad your grandfather taught you such great skills!

I think it should go the other way.......

Growing up in KY, I carried 8 clubs:

Driver

3 wood

3 iron

5 iron

7 iron

9 iron

PW

Putter

and played bogey golf....I learned to modify my irons distance by choking down on the grip and moving the ball in my stance. Now I carry 14 clubs and still play bogey golf.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

Food for thought though...why not though have a club that performs its actual distance and therefore not have to adapt your swing for each club as much to change distance. And also how do you think 16 club rule could actually hurt golf?

Good stuff Chris. Glad your grandfather taught you such great skills!

#TruthDigest

Food for thought though...why not though have a club that performs its actual distance and therefore not have to adapt your swing for each club as much to change distance. And also how do you think 16 club rule could actually hurt golf?

On an amateur level, as I said in my initial reply, I think it would unnecessarily slow down the game for the 99+% of us who play on public / municipal courses: for example ... heavier bags making it more physically difficult to walk around the course; too many clubs to choose from - thus slowing down the pace of play while people sift through their bags and agonize over which club will be the right one.

In addition, you mentioned something about allowing a 16 club set may serve as a "stimulus" for OEMs. Haven't the top OEMs' marketing strategy in recent years focused on "better" as opposed to "more"? That is: better clubs - not "more" - help you get more distance and accuracy.

Also, as some have mentioned above, a golfer gains more creativity - and dare I say it ... skill - when one practices different types of shots with the same club. The end result being that with enough practice, one may actually develop a better golf game with fewer clubs.

Heck, I personally don't care who in my golf group is carrying how-many clubs. And if the pros want to play 16 clubs, let them ... doesn't affect me. But if this means more 5+ hour rounds at the courses I play - and more often - then that's when the steam starts coming out of my ears! :lol:

• SPY VIP

1. Adding 2 clubs to the bag would be little to no difference in speed of the player because of weight issues. I feel like golfers hitting errant shots because they have to adapt a club to be something its not leads to shots in places that take longer to play in general.

2. OEMS have done this with drivers but the majority of people would be adding wedges and hybrids from the data we have gotten.

3. Being creative can still be done but with the correct club for the distance. Does not mean you cant learn different types of shots with it.

On an amateur level, as I said in my initial reply, I think it would unnecessarily slow down the game for the 99+% of us who play on public / municipal courses: for example ... heavier bags making it more physically difficult to walk around the course; too many clubs to choose from - thus slowing down the pace of play while people sift through their bags and agonize over which club will be the right one.

In addition, you mentioned something about allowing a 16 club set may serve as a "stimulus" for OEMs. Haven't the top OEMs' marketing strategy in recent years focused on "better" as opposed to "more"? That is: better clubs - not "more" - help you get more distance and accuracy.

Also, as some have mentioned above, a golfer gains more creativity - and dare I say it ... skill - when one practices different types of shots with the same club. The end result being that with enough practice, one may actually develop a better golf game with fewer clubs.

Heck, I personally don't care who in my golf group is carrying how-many clubs. And if the pros want to play 16 clubs, let them ... doesn't affect me. But if this means more 5+ hour rounds - and more often - then that's when the steam starts coming out of my ears! :lol:

#TruthDigest

1. Adding 2 clubs to the bag would be little to no difference in speed of the player because of weight issues. I feel like golfers hitting errant shots because they have to adapt a club to be something its not leads to shots in places that take longer to play in general.

2. OEMS have done this with drivers but the majority of people would be adding wedges and hybrids from the data we have gotten.

3. Being creative can still be done but with the correct club for the distance. Does not mean you cant learn different types of shots with it.

Right. But here's the scenario I see happening.. average guy leaves his iron shot short of the green, so he using his PW to chip it... only to chunk it another 5 feet. Then, since he's 5 feet closer, he runs back to his cart to grad his 64* wedge, only to skull that across the green into the bunker. Then, he walks back to his cart to grab his his SW, gets out, and 3 putts. Oh btw, he tells his playing partners he made "bogey". LOL.

If he had to carry less clubs, he wouldn't have had the 64* in the bag, not the iron that he hit short, and would have been pin high, still 3-putted, but it would have shaved off 6-7 minutes easily.

LMAO!

• SPY VIP

Same with me, except for the KY part.

I remember seeing even numbered clubs and being confused a bit. I have decided to play 13 clubs, forcing myself to learn to open the SW to cover the LW shots. Probably can drop the GW too, but it is goto at this point.

I think it should go the other way.......

Growing up in KY, I carried 8 clubs:

Driver

3 wood

3 iron

5 iron

7 iron

9 iron

PW

Putter

and played bogey golf....I learned to modify my irons distance by choking down on the grip and moving the ball in my stance. Now I carry 14 clubs and still play bogey golf.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm not sure that having 16 clubs would make it any easier for a recreational golfer (me). The recreational guy/gal needs to spend more time learning to use the clubs that they've got. Adding 2 more to the mix is only going to slow down their learning curve. Does it hurt the game??? No... Unless you're on tour, the game is for fun... not money. Carry as many as you want. The weight of your bag is your penalty. I carry 14, and my bag is heavy as heck. Has something to do with 2 extra Cleveland wedges and a Niblick. But, I use those 3 clubs a lot... so it's worth it.

I'm not sure that having 16 clubs would make it any easier for a recreational golfer (me). The recreational guy/gal needs to spend more time learning to use the clubs that they've got. Adding 2 more to the mix is only going to slow down their learning curve. Does it hurt the game??? No... Unless you're on tour, the game is for fun... not money. Carry as many as you want. The weight of your bag is your penalty. I carry 14, and my bag is heavy as heck. Has something to do with 2 extra Cleveland wedges and a Niblick. But, I use those 3 clubs a lot... so it's worth it.

This is what I carry when I want to walk:

1 - Driver

2 - Cally 2h hybrid (perfect escape club out of the rough or under a tree)

3 - 4 iron

4 - 6 iron

5 - 8 iron

6 - PW

7 - 54* SW

8 - 58* LW

9 - putter

This setup works perfect for me and doesn't wear me out. I use the 58* always out of the sand, and the 54* around the green. I use the PW for pitches and long chips on the green too.

It's a great setup.

This is what I carry when I want to walk:

1 - Driver

2 - Cally 2h hybrid (perfect escape club out of the rough or under a tree)

3 - 4 iron

4 - 6 iron

5 - 8 iron

6 - PW

7 - 54* SW

8 - 58* LW

9 - putter

This setup works perfect for me and doesn't wear me out. I use the 58* always out of the sand, and the 54* around the green. I use the PW for pitches and long chips on the green too.

It's a great setup.

Very cool!

For whatever reason, when I play with a short set, I end up with odd-numbered clubs.

Very cool!

For whatever reason, when I play with a short set, I end up with odd-numbered clubs.

Yeah, I got the idea from my buddy. He said either play odd or even numbered clubs. It's worked really well. People might just be surprised that they don't NEED 14 clubs.