16 Club Rule?

GolfSpy_X

I think this would keep too many players from learning to hit shots. You could just have specialty clubs that only do one thing...ie driving iron and hybrid that go the exact same distance but at different heights. Would take a lot of skill out of the game.

There wasn't a hell of a lot of skill involved with my game anyway.

By the same token, there was nobody counting my clubs, either.

But I agree with Dave. Nine would have also made more sense than fourteen.

They wouldn't be nine of the clubs available now, though.

They would be nine clubs designed for a nine club limit.

... 14 clubs is perfect. I probably feel that way because that is the way I learned to play the game. Had it been 10 clubs I would have learned that way and of course if it were 16 I would have 2 more clubs in my bag. Take into account that the vast majority of people that play this game use their own rules like mulligans, rolling it in the fairway, dropping where your ball went OB, moving their ball in a bunker if there are footprints and of course moving their ball out of a divot. Personally I have no problem with that even though a few of my friends have a handicap that is seriously inflated because they do the above and still post a score. They are vanity caps and hurt nobody because they would never risk playing in a ornament LOL. So many carry more than 14 clubs now and honestly I think the rule is the least advantageous if you are not gonna play by the rules. Rarely will any Am run into a situation where they feel like if they had another club they could execute the shot better that they are facing. 

... For better players it would be a redundant club that has different attributes like carrying a 5 wood and a hybrid and a 2 iron that all go about the same distance but with different trajectories and spin. I play a 2 or 3 iron DI depending on the course and would love to also have a 19* hybrid in my bag. I would also not mind having a 60* with a wide sole and tons of bounce to play out of thick rough while using my 58* from a tight lie. 

... Here is a fun exercise for those of you looking to improve your course management. I was playing my best friend in NC about 15 years ago and he really struggled on the front 9. He was pretty dejected so I bet him I could beat him playing the back 9 using only one club, a 5 iron. I shot 2 over on the front using all my clubs and much to my surprise I shot 2 over on the back using a 5 iron. Teeing off with my 5 iron I had quite a few full 5 iron second shots and several times I had to hit a knockdown as I was closer than a 5 iron distance. Both par 5's were pretty much 3 full shots using my 5 iron. I putt using my wedge quite a bit so that part was easy, it was the 2 chips that were difficult and cost me the two bogies. But the one thing it did was laser my focus as there is no opportunity to over swing or play a reckless shot. It was a real eye opener for me and I have played irons off the tee with regularity ever since.  There is a poor 5 with water right and left off the tee and a narrow landing area before a 90* dogleg right. Depending on the wind I hit anything for a 7 to a 5 iron which lands me in the widest oat of the fairway and just changes the angle of my second shot. Not sure I would be making that choice without the experience of playing just a 5 iron for 9 holes. I highly recommend doing the same for fun, choosing 1 iron a wedge and your putter, and I think many of you would be VERY surprised by your results. 

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I liked to overlap a long iron with my fairway woods, but I could usually do that within 14.

My real reason for playing fifteen when i did was to  bag a one-trick-pony sand club--separate from my wedge complement. I never even considered it a wedge. I thought of it as a dedicated sand iron.

(Also, I didn't like an empty slot in a fifteen slot cart bag. It made me feel as though I may have lost a club.)

Bunker play with a conventional wedge is no problem for a player at chisag's level.

my bags heavy enough with 13 clubs (1 is used once a round, and 2 others 'maybe' once every 2 rounds) so I could do with being told to have less, helps you get more creative I would think.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

After we've all shared our views, I still think that fourteen was an arbitrary number that was ill-conceived.

Eighteen would have made more sense.

Eighteen is, at least, a golf number.

NINE is also a golf number! So is 3, 4 and 5 ;)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the 2 1/2, 3 1/2 woods!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shocked it hasn't changed. Would be a big boost to the industry.

I like the strategy of trying to configure my bag, but I have so many nice clubs sitting around not being used. And for me to put them in I would probably have to drop a wedge or bend a wedge to fill the gap or buy a new wedge, so it just gets more and more expensive.

And really adding a clubs wouldn't change all that much in terms of the way the game is played. But in terms of enjoying different clubs and trying new equipment it would make the game better.

I'm sure the caddies of the world would have preferred nine clubs, another golf number.

I have caddies plenty of rounds. Clubs don't weight that much.

It's the people who bring two dozen golf balls and junk like that who weight down their bags and are frustrating.

... For better players it would be a redundant club that has different attributes like carrying a 5 wood and a hybrid and a 2 iron that all go about the same distance but with different trajectories and spin. I play a 2 or 3 iron DI depending on the course and would love to also have a 19* hybrid in my bag. I would also not mind having a 60* with a wide sole and tons of bounce to play out of thick rough while using my 58* from a tight lie.

I agree, but for amateurs this would help.

Pros get to change their bags a lot without much thought to cost, or needing to adjust on the fly. They know what course they are playing in advance, while an am might decide when he gets to the first tee if he's playing 6k yards or 6800 yards (which might influence if he wants that 230 yard club with higher trajectory or more of a piercing rollout club.

Pros have more than 15 clubs in their bag, and they adjust. Rory took the 5 wood out today for a long iron for one specific tee shot.

Amateurs don't really have that type of luxury or foresight to be able to do that. I mean, they could, but logistically are you just keeping your spare clubs in the trunk or at home? Ams often play courses new to them and only get one look at them, they don't have the benefit of the practice rounds to form a course strategy.

I enjoy the strategy of 14 clubs, but with clubs going farther today than years past the need for more top end of the bag clubs, or at least the option available, make me think that allowing players to add something there isn't a bad thing and would help the industry.

I think 14 is a good number for pros and for regular tournament play. For the average golfer though I think its better to have more clubs available not only to fill in gaps helping their overall game,but to help them figure out which clubs they strike better and therefore give them more work ability on the course for when they get to a point of trying their hand at tournaments and so on.

I agree.

I don't think an extra club would really help all that much for a particular round in isolation. But trying different clubs will help a player develop their skills a bit and long term would be beneficial.

• 5 months later...

I own the maximum 14, but I usually take out a few before each round.  I usually have 8-10 golfballs in the bag during the round.  Shoes are not kept in the bag. Changed when I get to the course.  All in all, my bag, when at the course, is lighter than usual.  (I also have a storage box in the trunk for most of my additional golf stuff.)

16 would probably make me re-guess the irons I exiled from my collection.  And maybe second guess my use of hybrids.

14 is just fine for me.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Even though I could easily carry 15, I am beginning to think as a high handicapper I could probably get away with 10 or even 8. Reading a recent article about course management I realized I probably don’t need so many clubs at the top of my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

10 hours ago, tehuti said:

Even though I could easily carry 15, I am beginning to think as a high handicapper I could probably get away with 10 or even 8. Reading a recent article about course management I realized I probably don’t need so many clubs at the top of my bag.

Right now, I have 15 in my bag - the Bridgestone test included a 4H and 4i. At some point, one of them will stay home, probably the 4i (although I hit it really well at the range the other day). I'm also strongly considering consolidating my wedges since I can be pretty ineffective with my 60 at times. Instead of 52, 56, 60, I may just go with 52 and 58.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

There is always a lot of talk about the expense of playing golf.  Two more clubs would just add to that expense.  I know people don't have to carry the limit of clubs but when I began playing I felt that I had to have them in order to play well.  The extra cost due to additional clubs may keep potential golfers away.

The funny thing is most of my best rounds were played using 12 clubs or less.  Last season I played a round where I used my driver off the tee of the front nine and a 5 iron for the back nine.  My score was better for the second nine because I was able to play the back nine with the same ball.  

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Right now, I have 15 in my bag - the Bridgestone test included a 4H and 4i. At some point, one of them will stay home, probably the 4i (although I hit it really well at the range the other day). I'm also strongly considering consolidating my wedges since I can be pretty ineffective with my 60 at times. Instead of 52, 56, 60, I may just go with 52 and 58.

I have heard that unless you’re a really low ‘capper you have no business carrying anything higher than a 58* wedge. I have a 60 but it never goes in my bag. Right now I have 50 and 55 but I may replace the 55 with a Maltby or Sub70 56.

• Like 1

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft

11 minutes ago, tehuti said:

I have heard that unless you’re a really low ‘capper you have no business carrying anything higher than a 58* wedge. I have a 60 but it never goes in my bag. Right now I have 50 and 55 but I may replace the 55 with a Maltby or Sub70 56.

I agree for the most part. When I practice a lot, I can be pretty effective with the 60, but part of my problem is I get too "cute" with it and try too many shots that are beyond my ability to pull off regularly. Occasionally it works out and is really fun when it does, but more often than not, I cause myself more pain. "Taking my medicine" is not something I am particularly good at, so by removing the temptation, I'm forced to play smarter.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

I agree for the most part. When I practice a lot, I can be pretty effective with the 60, but part of my problem is I get too "cute" with it and try too many shots that are beyond my ability to pull off regularly. Occasionally it works out and is really fun when it does, but more often than not, I cause myself more pain. "Taking my medicine" is not something I am particularly good at, so by removing the temptation, I'm forced to play smarter.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I don't "get" the fourteen club rule.  Fourteen isn't a golf number.  Eighteen is a golf number and would make a better limit.

I don't think many people would actually bag eighteen, but it's just a better number to use.

Part of the problem is that people can't choose the loft increments between their clubs.

(As we know, bending for loft affects bounce and thus playability.)

If wider gaps were available, fewer clubs would be needed, probably.

That would certainly work for juniors, ladies, and seniors.

I can't play anymore, so my opinion is irrelevant; but I feel that the OEMs are simply not very imaginative when it comes to offerings.