TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing & Stroke Conviction

JMiller

Before I get started please give a huge thanks to RPJ II if you find any of this useful or interesting. I really didn't intend to post it here originally.

Prelude
It has been a long winter for a lot of people in the northern part of the United States. Even here in North Carolina we have had a rough winter with rain and cold weather up until late April.

I know some people out there that think that someone whom is not a PGA Class A, doesn't have any business talking about swing methods in general. Trust me I run into them all the time when I get into swing decisions at the local clubs around me. These people have the attitude that someone whom is not "certified" in any way can not have the knowledge of how a golf club should be moved. Heck I have even gotten comments on golf forums about this subject telling me I don't know a thing about a golf swing because "I don't teach for a living".

Well, you don't have to be "certified" to have an opinion. Plus if you are truly a student of the game like I am and just enjoy studying the game, you learn things form people more knowledgeable then yourself and from trial and error over the years. It doesn't take being "certified" and/or paying each year to be a "class A" to learn and understand successful golf swings throughout history. All you need is a beautiful thing called Google, and the ability to verify information from multiple places. If you have ever graduated college you know exactly how to research a subject and verify information in papers you write from multiple sources and use references in your material.

Base Quote
"It is not the method that is incorrect, it is the application of the method that is incorrect." ~ Bruce Rearick

Lets think about that quote for a minute here. How often have you read things on golf forums and in golf media of the "best method" or the latest "method" to make a golf swing? This quote is basically saying there is no such thing as a "best method", the best method for you is the one that is the most natural and applied in an effect way.

Golf Swing & Putting
There have been 3 successful ways to move a golf club in history. Each one has a unique sequence of motion in the downswing to return the club to impact properly and make consistent contact and have control over the ball flight. There methods have been named many things throughout history. One-plane (flat) like Ben Hogan and Arnold Palmer, Hybrid-plane (in-between) like Byron Nelson and Greg Norman, two-plane (upright) like Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson. You have to match you backswing motion with a downswing sequence that complements the backswing. Backswing sequence & downswing sequence are not interchangeable between the three methods. Ref. 1

So is the approach that is better to use the current "in" method to move a golf club or use YOUR method to move a golf club?

Putting might seem different then the full swing but the same base quote applies. It is never good idea to artificially use a method that doesn't come naturally to you. It is much better to simply work on your method and fit the putter to that method. Ref. 2

Golf Media
So this spring lets look at golf differently. Instead of attempting every tip you read on a golf forum or in a golf magazine, learn what feels natural to you without thinking. Just go hit balls on the range and approach the shot the same way each time regardless of the results. You simply can not judge random and random fixes will never work. Ref. 3, 4, 5, 6So moving forward it is okay to take instruction for YOUR method to better fine tune that method. However, at some point you need to FEEL what happens in your body to produce a shot not THINK about how to produce the shot. Ref. 7,8

When I was in college (2007 - 2009), i had a very simple swing, people that knew golf swings told me "I love you action". Well I didn't have any conviction in my method of swinging the golf club and like many people reading this article I though that there was a "better method" to swinging the club. From 2009-2011 I tried a ton of things to get better without playing a lot of golf and did nothing but get worse. Trust me one of the most frustrating things for a person that is a 1-3 handicap on the back tee is to go from shooting 76 or better every day to struggling to break 80. It took me studying the game and starting instruction with my current instructor Bruce Rearick to really start getting conviction back into my swing.

I learned very quickly from my own mistakes the best question to ask anyone giving golf advice or any advice for that matter is to ask one simple question, WHY. If the person can not answer a question like "why should I make that change?" then they absolutely have no business giving that advice. Moving forward don't be scared to think for yourself and challenge what people are telling you to do to help your golf game. Ref. 9

Get Instruction
I say this to everyone that I write swing advice to online. It is much easier to work with a single professional golf instructor then to "poke and hope" trying various tips you hear / read in golf media or on the golf course. Everyone reads one things and all of a sudden they become an "expert" regurgitating what they have read with no true understanding of the material.

Find a local instructor that DOES NOT teach a method (Sean Foley is out), you want someone that will just make your swing more efficient within the parameters of what you currently have. Make sure to ask some of the following questions:
~ What is your teaching philosophy?

~ What experience do you have in golf instruction?
>> I am hoping it is more then a "certification" especially if you are a 5 handicap or better.

~ Do you offer a free trial lesson? (if so take one and ask the following)
>> If you were to change one thing in my swing what is it?
>>>>  Why should I make that change?

~ Do you allow students to call and e-mail you with updates and questions?
>> I have found a steady stream of communication back and forth between myself and my instructor much more beneficial then simply have five, one hour lessons spread out over 3 to 5 months with little communication in-between.

If you do not have the access to a local instructor that you can work with in fine tuning you Full Swing, Short Game & Putting I recommend talking to Bruce Rearick. He is a man that has forgotten more about the golf swing and putting then I even know.
~ Burnt Edges Consulting :: Google+, Twitter, Facebook

I have been working with Bruce since June of 2012, we are coming up on 3 years of working together it has been a long process and things are finally starting to click for me. Here has been my process working with Bruce so far and I don't see the relationship of working together on my game ending anytime soon unless he stops coaching.

~ I started with Bruce on my putting, i thought for sure that my weakest link was my flat stick. It turned out i was WAY off. All that happened was I learned a lot about putting and MY METHOD to make a stroke on the greens. It gave me conviction in my method.
~ I loved how he teaches not being a method guy and tweaking what I had with my putter so we started working on my full swing. I think that we quickly learned that here was the source of majority of my inconsistencies. At that point we started to tweak my swing little by little fixing simple things.
~ Late in 2012 I got injured, right golfer elbow. As golfers we all run the risk of something happening, mine happened to be a blown out elbow.
>> While injured I spent the Fall and winter making left arm swings only getting a feel for what my left arm should be doing in the golf swing.
NOTE :: About a week before I blew out my elbow I had the best 9 holes of my golfing career... a Bogey free 33 on the Front 9 of Duke University Golf Club from the tips  I hit 8 of 9 Greens, 6 of 7 fairways, 1 for 1 up/down, just a dream round that anyone could ask for is what happened.

~ Well, i told Bruce that things felt a little different in my backswing, it felt more natural honestly. I described it and we realized the backswing method had changed resulting in my work from my left arm only swings.
>> I was given a choice to continue with the backswing and tweak the downswing sequence to match or tweak the backswing to match the downswing, I was in "conflict" in my swing sequence.
~ I decided that the backswing felt more natural so I pushed forward in tweaking the downswing.
~ I went to see Bruce in person at The Fort Golf Resort in Indianapolis, IN. We spent about 2 hours on the Puttlab inside, then went out to the range and spent about another 3 hours.
>> This was probably the best time i have had in golf instruction. It gave me a TON of conviction in my putting and gave me more direction in my full swing.
>>>> All the in person meeting did was confirm a lot of what we had developed online via e-mail and that we were on the right track.

~ I went and saw Bruce earlier this year in late April, the weather sucked so he really spent more time giving my friend a putter fitting then him and i worked on much. The key thing that came out of the meeting for me was just how much a sight line was visually effecting my stroke at times.
~ This year hasn't been anything earth shattering, we are to the point of really getting down to the pure fine tune of the golf swing. Things like grip, grip pressure, posture, ball position.
>> These are things that the best players do consistently well, you can screw yourself before the club ever moves if you get them wrong.
~ Now currently it is more on the mental side of things rhythm, visualization, concentration / focus. More Advanced topics that move well beyond the basic understanding of moving a golf club it becomes more about taking the motion to the next level and dealing with pressure situations.

Conclusion
I shared my experiences and ongoing game development process in hopes that the people reading this will understand that golf is not simple and improvement takes time. Improvement is better suited when you are not forcing things or using the current "in" method / theory and doing things more naturally.

Of course you probably will take step backwards in scoring. At the end of the day your score doesn't matter as long as it is honest and you can look someone in the eye and hold your head high proud of the accomplishment that your score is true and you carried yourself with class.

The better outlook to take is one from a mastery stand point instead of stroking your ego in wanting to post scores and fixate on results. You are trying to master your game play against a course and there is always a lesson to be learned from poor results. Ref. 10

I don't learn anything from a great round of golf. i learn the most from a poor round of golf or shot when i sit down after the round and analyze what was different between the poor shots and the good shots. i remember the good shots and build on that to help minimize the poor ones.

Thanks for reading,
jmiller065

References
1. http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2013/01/golf-advice-different-perspective.html
2. http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=37875.0
3. http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/04/daily-lesson-returns.html
4. http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2013/01/golf-advice-different-perspective.html
5. http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/05/lesson-153.html
6. http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/05/lesson-152.html
7. http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/04/lesson-144.html
8. http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/04/dont-be-afraid-to-take-lesson.html
9. http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=37875.msg390317#msg390317
10. http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Flow-Gio-Valiante-ebook/dp/B00C5I5B54

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Hope you all find that useful have a good season this year.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I agree that everyone that plays the game should have an opinion. You do not have to have a paper from the PGA or NGF to have an opinion or even have knowledge of the golf swing

I run into the opposite of what you described there are people who think I should be teaching but I am not a student of the golf swing. I basically have a natural feel and do things my way right or wrong. Some of the things I do I can not tell you how to do them because I do not honestly know myself.

I have in the past helped a couple of young guys pass their PAT test for their class A cards. But both of these players were good players and had good swings all they needed for me to do is to blow smoke up their rear so to speak

I had a lady at one of these events that thought she had seen me train one of these guys that had passed and wanted me to evaluate her daughter who had tried and failed 9 times. I obligated and watched her daughter at a range one day. I told this lady politely that she did not need me that I was not a swing instructor and recommended her to an instructor friend of mine. I know they never saw them and I don't know if this young lady gave up the game or not. I do know that money was not an issue with these people because the lady wanted to pay me for coming out and evaluating her daughter that day. I declined because I did not do anything but look. I would have loved to help her but I explained to her Mother that I was not a swing instructor and I felt I would do more harm than good

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Just going off what BIG STU said in regards to not being able to pass the P.A.T.

You are dealing with people that can play well and have the physical ability / knowledge to pass the playing test. It becomes more mental then Physical for most "players" trying to break through a scoring wall.

~ Reference 10 in my original post is a great book. Golf Flow by Dr. Gio Valiante

For people that are struggling that may not have 100% physical ability of a better player. I have not seen anyone that has gotten better with random fixes they read on a golf forum, in a golf magazine or heard by some random person on the golf course.

~ The simplest way to eliminate the BS is to ask the person WHY I need to change, I don't care who they are and what background they come from if that can not be answered fully then they you DO NOT need to take that advice.

If you understand the WHY you are doing something in the physical swing, it makes it easier to not change when things get rough and the scores are not as low as you might want. It is about conviction and understanding of YOUR method.

~ A bunch of references form Bruce's Blog did the job pointing that out.

It is almost always better to have 1 instructor regardless of classifications and experience that can answer the question of WHY, the truth works, gimmicks don't.

• 4 weeks later...

Very good stuff here. The reason I've secured a teacher is that my swing was/ is messed up. I carefully studied before picking my guy. He's essentially giving me my swing back.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I'm happy that everyone enjoyed the content.

Archived