Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why You Suck at Golf - The One Month Update

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

So we've had roughly one month of golf season so far in my part of upstate NY, it's been a struggle early, but the game is starting to come around. As a result of the brutally long winter, the course is rough (as are most of the clubs in my area right now). #1 had gone temporary, #3 should be, and realistically, there's a good chance we're going to lose both greens.

BnJ63c-CUAAIdrI.jpg

My Bag

GolfSpyT-Bag-1.jpg

The Weapons off the Tee

GolfSpyT-Bag-5.jpg

GolfSpyT-Bag-8.jpg

GolfSpyT-Bag-2.jpg

I've played 45 holes without dropping a stroke off the tee. While I'm not positive, I'm fairly certain that's a record. 

The Mini driver is the stock 12° TP in X flex. I'm playing the Covert 2.0 Tour at 45". I'm currently experimenting with 3 shafts right now. The Fujikura Speeder 757 is the early favorite, though admittedly I haven't spent much time with anything on the range, and I certainly haven't looked at the numbers on the launch monitor yet.

GolfSpyT-Bag-9.jpg

Another option is this Oban Kiyoshi Gold 05 (X-Flex). I've only taken about 10 swings with it, so I'm by no means closed to finished with it. My initial impression is that it's a bit softer than I like in mid section, and has a bit of a loose feel to it. Again...more time will tell for sure.

GolfSpyT-Bag-10.jpg

The 3rd option currently is the Kuro Kage Silver TiNi. This is basically the stock shaft but in the 75 gram model. It's actually a bend profile that should work well for me, but c'mon...stock? How sexy is that? Still, I'm definitely going to give it a longer look.

GolfSpyT-Bag-11.jpg

SLDR Hybrids

My hybrids remained unchanged...and it's probably going to stay that way. It might be possible to hit rescues better than I've hit these so far, but it would take some doing, and I'm comfortable and confident with these, so they'll be around for a while.

GolfSpyT-Bag-6.jpg

SpeedBlade Irons

The grand experiment has produced mixed results so far. I love the feel of the UST Recoil shafts, but I haven't been as consistent as I'd like with the irons. I've hit some good shots, and the forgiveness of the longer irons has saved my ass more than once, but I haven't been precise with the short irons. While I've yet to develop any sort of affinity for the irons, the performance is slowly improving, so I'm going to ride it out a little bit longer. I definitely enjoy having a more forgiving iron in the bag, and the new SLDR irons could represent the compromise for me.

GolfSpyT-Bag-3.jpg

GolfSpyT-Bag-7.jpg

GolfSpyT-Bag-4.jpg

Wise Up, Dumbass

I'm TRYING to play smarter (with mixed results). Two weeks ago I tried to hit a low hook under a branches to a well-protected, narrow, raised green with OB beyind it. It didn't go well. Saturday I had nearly the same shot, and while it took me so long to do it that I was probably guilty of slow play, I eventually decided to bounce an 8 iron back to the fairway. I made par. The first time around I made 7. There's probably a lesson in that.

And despite that 0 lost strokes from the tee in 45 holes, I find myself thinking that I'm hitting the ball high right now, which means the TaylorMade SLDR 430 9° might be an option for me...because that's how normal smart golfers think...this tee thing is working out better than it ever has in your life, maybe you should move to a less forgiving club.

Fighting stupidity is a daily chore around here.

So far keeping the ball in play hasn't translated to lower scores, but when the greens are better putting should improve. I'm still regaining my shortgame feel from the long winter, so that's costing me strokes as well, and of course there's the iron play...

I expect at least 2 of the 3 to turn around shortly, and when they do, I should be posting much lower scores.

Fingers crossed....

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Nice update T

I don't know if you saw it but I'm going one up on you by taking lessons.  Took my first one on Friday - this is after shooting a competitive 74 mind you - I'm just sick of getting it around and want to get back to being the ball striker I was a few years ago.

Just came back to work for a lunch time range session. :)

Now you know what will happen when I play tomorrow, I'll hit it great and not break 80. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sounds like the experiment is working out well. Keep up the good work T.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nice intro T, hope the grass starts growing soon.

Rev, you should be the one giving lessons.

Got two more weeks of working everyday, but was able to play Sat morning....38/45, 83. my best round at Pebble Creek in about 3 years.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It looks like we're finally going to get some consistent weather with the temp above 60*!

Courses have all suffered but finally getting in shape. I've only managed to get in 3 1/2 rounds, so far, plus 3 range sessions. It's just tough to gain any consistency with the limited time on the course.

At least I'll be able to spend most of the afternoon on the range today!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

It looks like we're finally going to get some consistent weather with the temp above 60*!

Courses have all suffered but finally getting in shape. I've only managed to get in 3 1/2 rounds, so far, plus 3 range sessions. It's just tough to gain any consistency with the limited time on the course.

At least I'll be able to spend most of the afternoon on the range today!

Just so you know I did seven years in beautiful sheboygan WI. You can only imagine what went through my mind when a church from Florida contacted me.

Even good players need to work on their game Foz. The hard truth is that I haven't been hitting it consistently the past two years. Good ball striking round followed by bad. My handicap has stayed down because I've gone low a few times. The short game is still there. I've got to get that long game back.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This afternoon was the best range session I've had this spring and I'll be able to spend tomorrow at the range, as well. What really made me happy was my time at the chipping range, when I holed the first two and was leaving myself in good putting position most of the time.

I'm finally starting to play, instead of think my way around!

There's a blind draw scramble at the country club I joined this spring, but since I haven't been comfortable with my game and have only played this course once, I wasn't planning to sign up and embarrass myself... Now I think I may give it a shot ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived