TESTERS WANTED! ×

Galvin Green Outerwear - #GearUp

SPY ZINGER

640px-Black_Galvin_Green_Logo_including_slogan_in_white_lettering.png

IMG_4785.JPG

Galvin Green is a Swedish golf outerwear company that is relatively unknown in the U.S. market. Founded in the 1990‘s, the company departed from the traditional constant in golf outerwear. Baggy, noisy, and overall ill-fitting selections saturated the retail landscape. From it's early beginnings through today, Galvin Green has retained their focus on highly technical outerwear with a tailored appearance, and vibrant color pallet. They are often regarded as offering the best outwear product in the industry. Up until about a year ago, it wasn't available in the U.S. market.

#GearUp

Since Galvin Green's inception, the focus of their brand has been outerwear in a system of layers. This concept isn't news, and is the cornerstone of most sportswear brands. However, what separates Galvin Green from the rest of the pack is the depth and variety of their selections. Their portfolio of offerings nears 300 different pieces of the multi-layered approach to golf-specific performance gear. Additionally, all of their garments are designed specifically for the game of golf.

Aron Jacket

52c9a16aa94f4.gif

The Aron jacket is a totally waterproof shell layer from Galvin Green. It's designed utilizing Gore-Tex, Paclite technology. One of the most readily apparent features of this jacket is it's weight. It's an extremely lightweight shell and for me, that is an important feature for two reasons. First, lightweight and packable means less bulk inside the golf bag. Secondly, for four to five months out of the year in Minnesota, when it's raining outside, it's still relatively warm. This presents a temperature challenge for a long-sleeved waterproof jacket. Although waterproof with Gore-Tex, Aron's breathability is excellent. As remarkable as the weight and breathability of this jacket it's also a functional design with the golf swing in mind. The Gore-Tex material stretches with your movement. It's virtually without restriction. The Aron is deigned to allow for adjustments (velcro) of the width of the jacket to further prevent the feeling of bulk and contributes to the tailored look to the jacket.

IMG_4798.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

Retailing at $460, the Aron jacket is one of the most expensive golf shell's available. Without question, it's got to be the best fitting, lightest, least restrictive, totally waterproof shell I have owned. It's no doubt a premium product and that comes at an expensive price. The Aron fits very true to size for a shell.

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

Features:

-Cuffs with touch and close fastener and integrated “rain channel” to lead water away from front of hands.

-Drawstring in bottom edge for width adjustment.

-Angled side seam for optimum comfort and fit.

-GORE-TEX® fabric with stretch. The stretch effect is used in different directions on different parts of the garment, ergonomically applied to maximize freedom of movement.

-Tab on each side of the back with touch and close fastener for chest width adjustment.

See more at: http://www.galvingreen.se/collection/productinfo/731412#sthash.uHTdBjVE.dpuf

Davis Insula Pullover

52ceb3b192097.gif

The Davis pullover is an intermediate thermal layer designed to be warn in colder weather. One of the first things noticed about the Davis is the overall warmth to weight ratio. The Davis is a lightweight pullover yet very warm. Consistent with the outerwear, the Davis is designed to fit close to the body. Typically, this combination has traditionally meant bulk and restriction. Much like the Aron jacket, this isn't the case at all. The “by golfers, for golfers” mentality is embedded into the Davis' design. It's specifically developed for the golf swing, and stretches with your movement.

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

IMG_4797.JPG

The Davis is manufactured with Insula technology. According to Galvin Green, Insula has built-in air chambers which are warmed by the body heat and provides long-lasting thermal insulation. The Davis retails for about $180 and fits about one size smaller than normal by design. So, plan accordingly for sizing.

Features:

-Excellent thermal insulation properties keep the body warm and comfortable.

-Maximum breathability that enables the release of excess heat and moisture.

-Soft, stretchy and snug fitting garment, specially developed for golfers.

-Perfect intermediate layer under a GORE-TEX® or a WINDSTOPPER® jacket.

-Easy to wash and maintain, just regular machine wash.

See more at: http://www.galvingreen.se/collection/productinfo/733436#sthash.V0pD2kJE.dpuf

Millard Polo

52cfc3502179b.gif

The Millard polo is special. In fact, I have previously identified Lululemon as the the best feeling polo I've worn. The Millard is every bit as comfortable but then steps on it's throat and finishes the deal. Like other golf specific performance wear, Galvin Green incorporates body mapping into the design, of the Millard, keeping you cool where you need it most through ventilation.

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

Galvin Green calls this their Ventil8 technology, which is specifically designed fabric that transports moisture and excess heat away twice as quickly as conventional polyester. According to Galvin Green, this is made possible through proprietary fibers designed to disperse perspiration over a large area. This allows it to evaporate quicker than competitors. The Millard has permanent anti-bacterial properties embedded into the garment to mitigate the stink.

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

The most impressive feature of the Millard is simply how it feels when worn. The Ventil8 properties give it a soft and cool feel against the body. Different design features such as black meshing around the neck and sleeves that are cut to hang properly against the bicep are well thought out. In hand, the quality construction of the shirt is evident in it's stitching, materials, and button selection.

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

The Millard fits very true to size with some room for expansion. At $155, it certainly is at the highest end of the golf shirt spectrum. You may not have a closet full, but it's probably twice as nice as the shirt you're currently wearing and so the price reflects that.

Features:

-Extremely high level of breathability.

-Excellent moisture-transportation properties keep the body dry and cool.

-Light, soft and comfortable garment, specially developed for golfers.

-Permanent anti-bacterial technology keeps the garments fresh.

-Easy to wash and maintain, just regular machine wash.

See more at: http://www.galvingreen.se/collection/productinfo/734218#sthash.j8JFCZF0.dpuf

Galvin Green's system of layers, specifically deigned for the kinesthetics of the golf swing are probably the best in golf. If you want to wear it, they make it, and do it better than most. Materials, function, fit, and performance of the offerings all contribute to their superiority. However, as mentioned, this comes at a price. But so does Miura irons and wedges. Just as appealing is the the ease of consumer care in cleaning. Everything can go into the wash machine, and the garments have been tested to withstand significant wear and cleaning. I like that about any products I purchase.

The lone complaint I have about Galvin Green is the inclusion of their name in significantly large font on their pieces. I mean, it's huge and on at least two separate places per piece. In my opinion, it's excessive and isolates the pieces solely to the golf course. But on the course, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better in any comparable category. Their comprehensive line is a premium product offering. Once on your body, and on course, you'll soon discover why.

Posted Image

Can you get these at Beall's Outlet?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Let's see, $500 jacket, $180 sweater, $155 shirt (but is designed to transfer excess heat so you don't have to take off you jacket or sweater I guess.) Socks at $21 per pair. Then we had the $500 shoes a few weeks ago.

I am wondering who is out of touch with what is normal golf wear.  Me or Zinger? 

Perhaps we can get a riveting review on which is better to take us to the course and still have room for our clubs, Ferrari or Lamborghini.  

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Yes pricey, but excellent quality - just better than anything I've ever seen before.

Common in the UK despite the price, because of the quality and how long it lasts.

Really need to secure myself the Ames, short sleeve, full zip waterproof - just brilliant.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Zinger- thanks for introducing something on another end of the apparel spectrum. I appreciate learning about different brands and manufacturers of all things golf. Will I buy a $460 golf jacket? Maybe not. Doesn't mean I don't like knowing about what's out there and how it performs.

I actually think the $180 pullover is not a bad deal for something high quality.

For $155, I expect some cooling nipples on that polo.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I think we'll all expect more nipple from now on.....

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

What makes a product "high quality"?  High price?  I have a Nike wind/rain jacket that I got in 1999 for less than $50 and it still looks brand new.  That is high quality.

I'd like to see the average household income for the people buying $460 rain jackets.  

Seriously, I bought some shirts by George at Walmart in 2007.  I did not expect much but was single at the time and playing golf everyday and I was at Walmart and they were on sale $7.  So I bought a few.  And then some more.  They are without a doubt the best shirts I have ever owned.  Self wicking, most still have their color.  They are not ragged, and there are a number of them that look as good today as they did 7 years ago after 300-400 washings.  Amazing.

They are more expensive in the US I suspect, we are talking about a Swedish import after all.

The Ames jacket I want is 179 pounds, so what's that in dollars? 250?

Yep that's a lot but these bad boys are gore tex, it's pricey stuff - it breaths better - water out and breaths, cheaper fabrics just don't in my experience. Mind you my current under armour one is pretty good.

But of course lots of people won't be able to afford Galvin Green, yep that's sucks - but many people can't afford a bushnell or a SLDR etc etc.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I think what I find so outlandish about this whole review is that there is a ton of stuff out there that are quality products available for 1/4 these prices. 

I know Bones and Best Grips bought FootJoy rain jackets last year at a course we were at that had the resort name on it for $100 or so.  And I do believe that FootJoy is known for their quality.  They may have been GoreTex also.  I had a rain jacket so did not get one.

I think what I find so outlandish about this whole review is that there is a ton of stuff out there that are quality products available for 1/4 these prices. 

I know Bones and Best Grips bought FootJoy rain jackets last year at a course we were at that had the resort name on it for $100 or so.  And I do believe that FootJoy is known for their quality.  They may have been GoreTex also.  I had a rain jacket so did not get one.

Nothing but a roof would have kept us dry that day.  I believe it was you that said "I got in the shower to dry off". lol

Current footjoy XP jacket is supposed to be excellent, all the pros here love them (they get them half price of course) but they are £179 (275 dollars?) not gore tex but really good - but hardly a huge amount cheaper for us than Galvin green.

Whenever I buy a golf, ski or mountain jacket I'm looking to get the maximum amount of water proofing with the maximum amount of breath ability I can afford.

I suppose in the US galvin green faces import duties? I'd guess european clothes are fairly pricey?

In the US how common is Galvin green? It's in nearly every pro shop in The UK, those that are not tied to one make anyway. So there's price competition and as a result it's more affordable.

Over here there's not much more than £30 difference between best nike, puma, adidas jackets - the galvin green jackets are a little bit more again (the top of the line is admittedly a lot more) but in line with Sunnice gore tex jackets.

Of course if you look at MRRP then it's comedy gold, for sunnice top of the range MRRP is over £300 but can be bought for £200.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

And of course anyone who has visited the UK knows it rains a bit.....so perhaps high quality water proofs are far for a luxury! We can play 12 months of the year but it rains a lot.

Of course best to avoid the US debacle at Celtic Manor when their waterproofs weren't, so they spent 4000 dollars there and then. The Europe provider pro quip who are one of the cheaper makes here provided them their new gear.

anyone coming to Scotland this autumn for the Ryder cup would do well to pack both really good water proofs and cold weather gear! It's not unheard of for snow to fall that close to October in the hills round gleneagles.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I saw some Galvin Greens on the internet earlier today for $270.  So they can be had at about the average price.  It is just to me there is more merit in reviewing "bargain products" if you want to call them that.  A review of a Sunice $99 GoreTex rain jacket is more worth my time to read than a review of a $500 jacket.

Noted Rick, we had a good review a while back I believe of some Mizuno waterproofs which seemed very good. Are galvin green two or three times better (as the price suggest)? Nah, I very much doubt it - but if someone handed me a set I'd be very happy!

I suppose a range of products tested is what we're looking for, yes a few 'luxury' items but plenty of lower price point items - it's at this price point where there's some poor products and good products - helping us avoid the rubbish is one of key things I look to MGS for.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

EU vs. US rain gear. Ryder Cup 2010 :D

No. Seriously. Brands like Peak Performance, J.Lindeberg, Abacus, Galvin Green and KJUS (feels good to mention a Norwegian brand) are known for quality and style. But having a gore-tex membrane - everyone can do that. The mix of quality and fashion is what makes them different from Zero Restriction and Sunice. You're not wearing a bag. It actually fits. You're more comfortable, feel free when swinging. These brands are also known for being innovative when it comes to fabric. Waterproof stretch is the big thing now. 

The $ prices are just a little bit lower than here in Norway. Brands like Adidas and Nike can cost 2-3 times more. GG is in a normal price range compared to brands like Helly Hansen and Norrøna.

Archived