TESTERS WANTED! ×

Forum Member Reviews! Custom Bobby Jones Driver, FW, Hybrid!

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A blast from the past... and into the future…

Intro…

Alright, I guess I should start by saying how surprised I was to be chosen for this review in the first place.  I hadn't even seen a golf course in 5 months (as they were all covered in white evil), but BOOM, an email shows up asking if I wanted to be a club tester.  No just for one club, but three.  I didn't need to think… YES… of course I'd like to review new clubs.  So, off we go.  I hop on over to the Bobby Jones Golf website and start exploring the clubs, I made my choice, and I sent my email with my picks for a new driver, fairway wood and hybrid.  A couple days go by and I hear nothing, then I get an email saying that things have changed (gulp, I knew it was too good to be true).  Jesse Ortiz, the club builder responsible for designing clubs for over 35 years, wanted to know all my specs so he could custom build my clubs based on my needs…

2.JPG

Now to the unboxing…

I got my UPS tracking number and my clubs were set to arrive on a Tuesday, not bad, but unfortunately, that's the night I golf and I won't be home until 8:00.  I actually considered taking a half day at work so I could have them for league. But, no need: I got home on Monday and there they were, sitting on the front porch like a Christmas present under the tree.  I love it when packages arrive early.

So I have the box, lets take a look inside.  The first thing I noticed was a hand written letter from Jesse Ortiz.  I don't know why, but I love seeing hand written letters, it's just more personal, and adds a touch of class.

Dear “mudfish”,

Since I have a long term relationship with Graphite Design, I sent your specs to Bill McPherson at GDI for his recommendations for you.  He came back with:

G-Series 60 for the driver

G-Series 70 for the fairway

G-Series 85 for the hybrid

All the clubs are cup-faced designed and the driver is a bit loud, which is common in big volume cup faced drivers.  Try to put that aside and focus on performance.

The driver and F.W. are face angle adjustable… the hybrid is lie angle adjustable.

Please feel free to call me with any questions.  My cell is: 555-867-5309.  Thanks for your time to test my clubs out.

Best Regards,

Jesse

The clubs were all wrapped very well; individually bubble wrapped and my name was written on each one.  Yup, these are mine alright.  First thing I notice is my grips.  I have found that I really like the Golf Pride VDR, and that's what they had installed.  Actually, they were the same color I currently have.  I kind of wish they were the red and black to match the heads and shaft, but that's fine.

Moving down to the shaft, they were all installed with Graphite Design tour shafts.

G-Series 60 stiff for the driver

G-Series 70 stiff for the fairway

G-Series 85 stiff for the hybrid

4.JPG

I've never heard of Graphite Design, but that's not saying much, since I still have all the stock shafts in my current setup.  The driver and FW shafts are a reddish color, and look like any other shaft, but the hybrid shaft is all black and silver, with a neon green that I really like.

Now on to the clubheads.  I will say that I absolutely love the satin black and red combo.  The red is subtle and not distracting at all.  The nerd in me likes how the red dot for the site looks like the power button on my macbook.  Another nice touch is keeping the face satin black as well rather than traditional stainless.  The driver head is somewhat pear shaped with an odd flat spot on the toe.  I'm sure this has a purpose, but I'm not sure what it is yet.

3.JPG

One disappointment was that my order was missing headcovers.  Normally I wouldn't care because I don't use stock headcovers, but the ones on the Bobby Jones site are the old fashioned leather sock type and they look really cool. I was told this was a simply oversight, and they shipped the headcovers my way earlier this week.

Overall the clubs look and feel great and I can't wait to get out on the course and give them a go.

quote.JPG

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Custom Bobby Jones Driver, Fairway Wood & Hybrid by mudfish

A.jpg

INTRO:

When I started golfing 5-6 years ago, I was looking for a fun way to spend some time outside, and maybe a little stress relief from my job.  I started playing weekends here and there with my father and brother, and the occasional bachelor party or fund raiser.  I played with a cheap set of clubs from a big box store and name brands didn't matter.  My father and brother both played with mixed bags, with no clubs newer than 10 years old.  Needless to say, my introduction to golf was not about the equipment, name brands, or modern technology.  As the years have passed, my game improved, as has my equipment.  First, a new driver, then a putter, wedges, and finally irons.  Then another driver, and third. After all my experimentation, I was still battling a wicked slice, and nothing seemed to work.  Adjustable head – nope, new shaft – nope, golf instructor – well, probably, but I didn't do that.  I was thinking maybe a fairway wood might help off the tee, and I was right.  I was closer to the center of the fairway and didn't lose too many yards off the tee.  I am starting to feel more comfortable with my golf game and even though I still struggle at times, the game is more enjoyable than it ever was. 

And then along comes Jesse Ortiz and his new line of Bobby Jones clubs.  After being notified I was chosen to review the clubs I spent some time reading about Jesse Ortiz and his history in the golf industry.  If you haven't already, I recommend reading about the way he has revolutionized our sport.  I can honestly say that the reason I had to do research was because I knew next to nothing about the Bobby Jones brand.  I had heard of the golfer, and recognized the company logo, but that was the extent of my knowledge.  All of that was about to change.  I was able to get a customized driver, three wood, and hybrid, all made to fit my swing.  After a very short time, I realized that Bobby Jones was going to be a more familiar name, especially in my golf bag.

PERFORMANCE:

Driver Performance:

B.JPG

As I stated earlier, the driver has always been the part of my game I as missing.  I lacked confidence, and never knew where my ball would end up.  I was somewhat nervous being chosen to test a driver, because I wanted to give an accurate review, but I wasn't sure my game was strong enough.  Well, I was wrong.  Apparently I was playing the wrong club combination all along.  Off the tee, I started hitting the shots I knew I was supposed to be hitting. The biggest improvement I noticed was my accuracy.  I can usually find the fairway 5-6 times per round of 18; that just about doubled.  I am now in the fairway just about every time off the tee, and if I miss, I'm not more than 10-15 yards off.  I've played more rounds with one ball in the last three weeks than I have in the last three years combined. 

Because I opted for the OLA (Optimum Launch Angle) driver with the 12º face I noticed that the balls get up fast and stay higher longer; thus increasing my carry distances.  I've never played with a high lofted driver and it was a bit off-putting at first.  I was afraid I would lose distance, but that was not the case.  My typical drives (that I kept in the fairway) were around 245-255, but those were few and far between.  Now my average is around 260 yards, with many more shots finding the fairway.  I have also noticed that my misses aren't as bad.  I still have an odd shot or two each round that are just horrible, but the slight misses are no more than 10 yards off line.  With the cup faced design that Jesse built into these clubs, as well as the higher loft, accuracy is a new part of my game. 

I also noticed that my drives now have a very nice little pull fade.  The ball starts out over the left edge of the fairway and very politely finds it's way into the center.  I've never really been able to work the ball at all, but this looks like it could be the start of something.  I've realized that by adjusting my tee height I can change my shot ever so slightly.

C.JPG

One thing I have not done yet is close the face angle, because the stock offering works fine, but I have the option to close the face 1º or 2º if my slice starts to work it's way back into my game.  I would have liked the option to adjust the loft either up or down 1-2 degrees rather than adjust the face angle, but I will say that I'm surprised at how much lofting up has helped my game.  The one area that this becomes troublesome is on windy days, and in this case I just leave the driver in the bag and use my 3 wood. I'm going to deduct points here, because in 2014 with all of the adjustable drivers on the market, it's tough to stay competitive without at least adjustable loft.

Driver Score: (95 out of 100)

Fairway Performance:

D.JPG

Unfortunately (for the review), since the driver has put me so much closer to the green, I haven't been using my 3 woods as much as I'd like.  Not really a bad problem to have, but I have less data to work with here. While I rave about the driver, the 15º fairway wood did not seem to be anything extraordinary.  I am coming from a custom fit KZG FW that has always treated me well.  I will say that I am most likely keeping the Bobby Jones in the bag over the KZG because of the ball flight.  There was one day that the winds were ripping, and the driver had to stay in the bag.  I absolutely loved the super low trajectory on this FW off the tee.  I was able to stay under wind and in the fairway.  On the Bobby Jones Website he says that the 15º has the lowest trajectory and that most people would prefer the higher trajectory of the 17º.  I figured that with the high lofted driver I would go with the low loft here to balance things out.  Worked well. 

As far as accuracy goes, I am typically pretty close to the fairway, my usual miss is hitting behind the ball and coming up short.  With this club the same thing happens, but because of the cup face technology that Jesse Ortiz uses, I got another 5-10 yards of roll out.  Still a horrible shot, but a couple yards closer to the hole.  Off center hits were pretty easy to detect because of the different sound, but not with the results.  I found the club to be pretty forgiving, and still left me safe and in play.

I played around with the adjustable lie angle at the driving range and my shots were more inconsistent.  I was missing everything 15-20 yards right, then left.  The stock configuration worked fine for me, so that's where it's staying.  One thing I noticed right out the gate was that this thing had a small head, and that seems to make me more confident out of the rough, or even dry fairways; typically places I would be unsure about with a 3 wood. 

Fairway Score: (88 out of 100) - only slightly better than average because I like the trajectory

Hybrid Performance:

E.jpg

My hybrid has typically been my go to club when I am lacking confidence.  It's my favorite club in the bag, so my expectations were high for this test.  First off I have never had an adjustable hybrid, so this was a new concept.  The lie angle can be adjusted, but as with the other two clubs, the stock configuration worked just fine for my swing.  I am switching from a 19º hybrid to this 18º hybrid so I didn't expect much difference in performance.  As with the FW, I am now getting a lower trajectory and more roll out.  I was getting a consistent 215 yards, now it is closer to 220 yards.  The ball flight is extremely straight and I can't move the ball no matter how hard I try. 

Even though I have always been pretty accurate with my hybrid, in a sense that I can find the green from my magic number, I have found I am now closer to the pin.  It seems that the sweet spot is a little larger, and off center hits are not penalized.  I also found that the Bobby Jones hybrid cuts through the thicker rough better than my Mizuno.  I don't notice the drag as much, and I feel like I am getting cleaner contact with the ball.

I do like the sound of this thing on solid hits.  It instills confidence, and makes the club easier to hit.

Hybrid Score (90 out of 100)

Performance Notes

Overall I am very impressed with the Black line from Bobby Jones, designed by Jesse Ortiz.  I came into this review having never hit a Bobby Jones club, or even considered buying one.  After a very rudimentary “club fitting” where Jesse wanted to know my current specs, ball flight, etc.  I was set up with what appears to be a perfect set of clubs for my swing.  I love that the clubs are just your basic, classic golf club with no flair or bright colors.  They are all about performance and classic style.  These clubs just work.

Total Performance Score (91 out of 100)

SUBJECTIVE:

Looks

As a 36 year old golfer, I'm on the edge of that window of young and closer to old.  I could get away with bright colored outfits and loud designs in my clubs, or I would look totally acceptable in classic golf designs.  I've tried the white drivers and I have a pair of orange pants, but my I'd rather go with classic and traditional golf designs.  That's probably why I love the looks of all three of these clubs.  The satin black heads are subtle and draw no attention for the rest of the golfers in my group.  The red accent lines are just enough to give it a modern feel, and the little red dot at the center above the face reminds me of Apple power symbol (I'm a geek and little things like that make me happy)

F.JPG

The driver has a flat angle at toward the toe that I think is pretty unique and gives it an original shape and design.  The hybrid and FW both have relatively small heads and are therefore easier to hit in taller grass, plus they just look cooler. 

Another nice touch that really helped boost the score was the incredible leather headcovers from Stitch Golf ( I never use the stock headcovers, but these are definitely staying in my bag.

Looks Score (97 out of 100) (waiting on long term results to see how the black paint holds up on the face, I've already got one small scuff on the FW)

Sound and Feel

When doing my research while waiting for the clubs to arrive, every review noted something about the sound of these clubs, heck, even Jesse himself made note of it in the letter he wrote me when they arrived.  At first I thought it was weird, but now I actually like it.  There is a very distinctive sound that was best described by Txstcatman as sounding like a metal baseball bat.  I really like that a center hit has a nice loud “ding” to it, but off center hits sound slightly different.  The FW has a similar sound, but not quite as loud, and the hybrid sounds like hitting a rock with a metal baseball bat.  It's hard to describe, but after hitting a few balls, it's a very satisfying sound to hear.  It really reassures you that you hit the ball solid. 

Along the same lines, a square hit reveals a great feel and an off center hit can be pretty easy to feel.  Jesse really did a good job as far as pairing me with the Graphite Design Tour shafts.  The weight is absolutely perfect for my swing and swinging these clubs feels effortless.  I can really let the club do all the work and take my brain out of play. (for me that's a major advantage)

Sound and Feel Score (97 out of 100) (this is totally my opinion and may be different depending on your likes, some people dislike the sound)

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

I'll admit, I would never have considered buying these if I wasn't chosen to do a review.  I would even have a hard time buying them after reading great reviews on MGS. If I couldn't try them in a store first, they would likely be off my radar.  BUT, after playing these for about a month, I would now say that if you are looking for new woods, keep Bobby Jones on your short list.  Find a friend that plays them, or order online and try them.  I have already told my wife that I need to order the 25º hybrid from Jesse Ortiz for my birthday.  That will be my next club purchase.

LOP Score (100 out of 100)

Subjective Notes

These clubs look and feel great to me.  They are perfectly balanced and have a modern yet classic design to them.  The sound is a bit odd and offputting at first, but after a round it was something I grew to like.  Some people may not like it, but I like how just be listening to the impact sound I can tell how good of a shot I will have.  The headcovers are absolutely beautiful and the leather will last a lifetime.  Everything about these clubs suits my eyes (and ears) perfectly.

Total Subjective Score (98 out of 100)

CONCLUSION:

Overall I love these clubs.  I have told all of my playing partners and people I play in my league with, and they have all given them a try.  The general consensus is that if these clubs were more readily available everyone would be playing them.  They look and feel great, but more importantly they help me keep the ball in the fairway and have helped me add a few yards at the same time.  For the last two years my game has been stagnant and I have been playing to the same handicap.  Since putting these into play my average score for 9 holes has dropped from a 54 to a 48.  I am saving money on balls since I'm not losing 3-4 per night on my drives, and for the first time ever I shot under 90.  I feel more confident with these in my hands and I have recommended them to everyone I have talked to.  I am SO glad I was chosen for this review and my game has steadily improved.   A giant thank you goes out to mygolfspy.com, Bobby Jones Golf, and especially Jesse Ortiz.

Total Score (94.5 out of 100)

G.JPG

The Five:

1.  Will these clubs go in your bag?

Absolutely.  This driver/shaft/loft combination perfectly fits my swing. I never would have picked the higher lofted OLA driver, but I'm glad I did.  The FW and hybrid have only given my slight gains in distance, but the accuracy improvement has changed my game.

2.  To whom, if anyone, would you recommend these clubs? Why?

At a charity tournament, my playing partners were all amazed at how the scrawniest, weakest guy in the foursome (little old me) was hitting the longest most accurate drives every time.  They all took turns trying the driver and one guy played with it the rest of the tournament.  They all loved it and had tons of questions.  One guy even pulled out his phone and was checking out the Bobby Jones website.  I would recommend emailing, getting the club fit to your specs, and getting in contact with Jesse Ortiz directly, as he knows his stuff and can build you your perfect club.

3.  How, if at all, did these clubs change your overall impressions of the Bobby Jones brand?

Honestly I had no opinion of the Bobby Jones Golf Company before this review.  They were not even on my radar.  Now, because of the incredible customer service, quality clubs, and other reviews I have read online doing research, my opinion of Bobby Jones is nothing but positive.

4.  What features would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

Personally I have no use for the adjustable lie angle, but I'm sure others do.  This is about the only thing I had no use for.  Should it be changed? No, it's just not relevant to me personally.

5.  What features do you really like, and what would you most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I absolutely love the looks of these clubs.  The red shaft, red accents on the head and red accents on the headcovers all tie together perfectly.  The satin black gives them a sleek and aggressive look, and the leather headcovers are a great touch to bring back old school golf style.

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Placeholder 3...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I was rather disappointed when I was first contacted about writing a member review for MGS. The winter was NOT giving way to spring and it still looked like it would be a few weeks before any regular playing time was possible. Fortunately, WD explained to me that it would be a couple of weeks before any clubs would ship and we'd have a few weeks to work with them before submitting a review, so my disappointment quickly turned to excited anticipation! Not only would I be able to test "a club," I'd be testing the new Bobby Jones Driver, Fairway Wood and Hybrid!!

POSTClubSet.jpg

Some quick background about myself. I'm a 61 year old hacker in South Dakota who didn't discover the game until after I'd turned 50, then didn't really get serious about game improvement until 6 years ago. There are some nice golf courses in my area, but needless to say, we've got a shortened season lasting between 5 to 7 months. As I got closer to retirement, I realized the only way I could stay in shape and not have to "re-learn" my swing every year was to practice year-round, so last January I setup my shop for practice with a GC2 launch monitor and ended last season with a 14 handicap.

Once I knew what clubs we'd be testing, I immediately went to Bobby Jones online to check out the specs. I liked the look of the clubs, modern yet classic. Appropriate for the name "Bobby Jones."

POSTBox&Quote.jpg

I wasn't quite sure what shafts I should select because, despite my mid-80's swing speed, my fitter had setup my fairway wood and irons with S-Flex as I have better control with firmer shafts. Of course, there is no real standard for S-R-A flex between vendors, so my S-Flex shafts are actually "light stiff," or "strong regular," depending on what a fitter might select. Something I didn't really expect was the request from Jesse Ortiz for the specs for our current clubs! Fortunately, I had my launch monitor results for my current clubs handy, so I was able to include those along with my shaft and grip information.

When the clubs arrived, I immediately took the box out to my shop to open it, and inside the standard tri-fold club packaging, was inscribed: Bobby Jones "Golf is a game of considerable passion “which burns inwardly and sears the soul.” It's a nice touch, that reminds us of the legacy surrounding this company's namesake. Also included with the clubs and adjustment wrench was a personal note from Jesse Ortiz, "Dear William, Thanks for your time to test my clubs out. I had some mid-size Win V-17s in our design, so I put those on. Based on your specs, I went with our G-Series shafts. The Driver & Fairway are FACE ANGLE adjustable. The Hybrid is LIE ANGLE adjustable. The driver is loud, which is common with cup-face designs and big bodies. Concentrate on performance and put the sound to the side. Feel Free to call me with any questions you may have.   My cell is (WITHHELD).  Best Regards, Jesse."

POSTHeadCovers.jpg

Jesse's personal shaft selections for me are: Graphite Design G-Series Driver 40g R-Flex, Fairway 62g R-Flex and Hybrid 73g R-Flex. Before taking them out for a field test, the practice swings felt nice and balanced, easy to control.

I called my wife out to help me get some pictures taken before the sun went down, as I had to get the pictures taken as soon as possible. These clubs were going to the range in the morning!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The Official Review

Custom Bobby Jones Blackbird Driver, FW, Hybrid! – Official MGS Forum Review by Wbealsd

BJ Set Top.jpg

Bobby Jones, one of the most revered names in golf, frankly doesn't have much “mind share” in the golf equipment marketplace. Despite Jesse Ortiz's reputation as one of the world's premier club designers and Golf Digest's 2006 Hot List's praise for his Bobby Jones designs, 2006 is a long time ago and many of today's golfers don't seem aware the company is still in the equipment business.

After a night of anticipation, I was anxious to get to the range to find out if these clubs performed as well as my hopes. I'll admit, I'd love to see a brand that represents the history of the game succeed, but I can't let my bias color my report. Despite being pumped about receiving these clubs MGS readers need to know the good, the bad and the ugly!

GBUPic.jpg

DriverClosePerformance1.jpg

Driver Performance

Of the three clubs I received to review, I wasn't really as excited to test the driver as I was the fairway wood and hybrid. I've made an effort the past couple of years to reform my “Club-Ho” ways, and focus on using the clubs I own, that I know fit ME.

The primary “selling point” for the driver is the “Loft Up” concept but it's somewhat difficult for me to “loft up,” since my drivers already range from 11.25* to 12.5*, there's not much more “lofting up” I can do!

Besides, I've been fitted for my drivers. Although, I sent my club specs and launch monitor averages to Jesse Ortiz, these shafts were selected by an “email fitting,” which is better than stock off the rack but not really custom fit.

At the range, the driver was the last club I tested and once I'd made a few practice swings with my 12* Cleveland DST for comparison, I pulled out the Bobby Jones.

WOW!! The drive went further left than I intended, but it appeared to be about as long as the DST! I adjusted my stance and produced another good drive but with less of a draw. A few more swings and realized that this driver is much easier for me to control than the Cleveland. Other players trying the driver all said it's easy to hit, and hit well!

One thing I should mention is the metallic noise the driver makes at impact. I wear hearing aids so I asked my playing partners about the sound. Most said “aluminum baseball bat” and a couple said it sounded like the old Cleveland Hibore. None of them said it was disturbingly loud, or distracting.

I've now made numerous trips to the range, played a few rounds and compared results to the clubs I've been bagging with a GC2 Launch Monitor.

We all have to balance the trade off between distance and control. Despite the 460cc club head this driver doesn't look “too big,” or feel awkward to me. Good swings get good results and even miss-hits are pretty darned forgiving.

Although the Blackbird OLA is 13*, ball flight is similar to my Titleist 913 D2 set at 11.25* and despite the higher loft, I haven't experienced any “ballooning” flights off the tee.

Now that I've played a few rounds with the Bobby Jones OLA, does it make the “starting lineup?” Unfortunately, the answer is NO.

The Bobby Jones becomes backup to my Titleist 913 D2, despite it's impressive performance. I'm comfortable with my Titleist and get a little better overall distance.

Remember, the shafts were selected by email and LM numbers. My personal fitter knows I play stiffer shafts than raw numbers indicate. With a proper shaft fitting, I may just make the Bobby Jones OLA #1 later this summer.

GraphiteDesign2.jpg

I have to subtract a few points for the “metallic tink” at impact (although, it doesn't affect performance). I'm impressed enough with the club, that I plan to recommend my fitter consider contacting Jesse Ortiz to become a reseller.

The GOOD

Driver Score: 95 (out of 100) 5 points deducted for distinct metallic sound at impact

Tee-Ball1.jpg

Fairway Performance

The fairway wood I've been playing is the Tom Wishon 949MC 16.* 4 wood. I hit it off the turf well, but have a tendency to produce a fade, as opposed to my usual draw, which poses a problem for me to control.

Until I got my 4 wood, I generally played a 5 wood for par 5s and long par 4s. One of my goals this Spring was to improve the control of my 4 wood, but now I won't have to, since the Blackbird 17* fairway wood is IN THE BAG! This is the best fairway wood I've ever played, bar none.

FW Shaft2.jpg

With LA average results of 180 yards carry and 202 yards total distance, plus reliable CONTROL, I'm finally carrying a “big stick” that I enjoy pulling out for those long fairways and I'm making more greens in regulation! I can honestly say this club is a “game changer” for me, by adding a dimension to my play I've always struggled with. This 3 wood is giving me reliably solid contact, control, distance and most importantly confidence in my stance when I have it in my grip.

This is one BAD**S CLUB!!

There's truly only one demerit I can give this club. I'm sure that there are some players who will be upset if the finish of their clubs shows as much wear as my fairway wood does.

I wondered how well the finish on the bottom of the fairway wood and hybrid would wear, since the the clubs pound turf. I wasn't surprised to see raw metal “shining through” after a few trips to the range and a couple of rounds of use.

I can't recall seeing fairway woods or hybrids with fully painted soles before, so I I'm not surprised, but if you play these clubs, they'll show it.

The Club so GOOD, it's BAD!!

Fairway Score: 95 (out of 100) 5 points deducted for sole/face paint wear

FWCloseUp2.JPG

Hybrid Performance

I was really looking forward to testing the hybrid. Although I can hit my 4 iron fairly well, I was hoping to replace it with the 25* Blackbird for more consistency and a better tool to work with when I find myself in the rough.

I can hit the hybrid long, but regardless of whether I adjust the lie angle to standard or flat, I can only make reliable contact when I setup as if I'm using a fairway wood and that's not what I expected.

HybridInsert1.jpg

I carry a Cleveland Hibore 3i 22* hybrid in my set and LOVE that club! I use it on the fairway, out of rough and sometime even “chip” or bump and run with it. It's the most versatile club in my bag.

I just haven't been able to get comfortable with the Blackbird, maybe it's the different design or maybe it's that the shaft is not really matched to my other hybrid. I try to use it like my Hibore it's just not working out for me.

I checked the hybrid with the launch monitor and I get way too much side-spin, producing an extreme draw. My LA specs for the hybrid give me an average of 155 yards carry with 178 yards total, but my spin numbers are -1474 side-spin and 4079 back-spin, which just doesn't match up with my set or style of play. Despite my pleasure with the other clubs, my performance with the hybrid is best described as U-G-L-Y.

I give this club credit for looks and distance, but have to drop the score considerably for the overall performance as a hybrid. Your mileage may vary.

The Ugly

Hybrid Score: 50 (out of 100)

Performance Notes

Overall, I'm favorably impressed with both the quality and performance of the Bobby Jones Blackbirds. The appearance and performance of this lineup is very good and I think my issues with the hybrid are just preference and playing style. The driver and the fairway wood perform so well, that given a proper fitting, they're worth serious consideration by players at all levels.

One other thing I want to mention, is that unlike my Titleist 913 D2 hosel that adjusts without completely removing the clubhead, when adjusting the face angle on the driver and fairway wood, or the lie angle on the hybrid the clubhead comes completely off the shaft. I wasn't expecting it and was afraid I'd done something wrong (possibly damaging the club) the first time I made an adjustment.

Total Performance Score: 80 (out of 100) – (Note: combined score for Driver and Fairway wood = 95%)

ClubAdjust1.jpg

Subjective

Looks

I've yet to hear a negative comment about the looks and styling of the Bobby Jones Blackbirds. The head designs are “classic,” the color and designs are tasteful and attractive. I particularly like the little touches of class, with the Bobby Jones logo on the grips and the “old school” styling of the head covers.

I'm glad the clubs don't have “busy” crown graphics, yet they have a contemporary look, with contemporary club design and features.

While I question the logic of a painted sole on the fairway and hybrid clubs, the clubs are still attractive despite their playing wear, and the paint would be easy enough to “touch up.”

Looks Score: 90 (out of 100) 10 points deducted for painted sole and face

LooksInsert.jpg

Sound and Feel

I rely on the help of others to describe sounds. All I hear when using the driver is a “tink” noise. Jesse Ortiz mentioned the sound in his letter to me and the other reviewers have commented on it on the forum. No one I've played with found it troublesome. I judged the driver for its performance, not the sound determined by it's design.

The driver and fairway wood impressed all who tried them. They're “stupid easy” to swing and get the ball flying. Given the variety of shaft offerings and lofts that were delivered to the review group, I have no doubt that this club can be fit to meet the needs of the vast majority of players.

Sound and Feel Score: 95 (out of 100) 5 points deducted for the “tink” factor

SoundFeelInsert.jpg

Given the looks, feel and performance of the driver as shipped, it's already become my #1 backup driver. The Titleist 913 D2 driver only won the match-up due to a marginal distance advantage. I plan on getting a personal fitting and can easily see the Blackbird OLA taking its place in my bag.

Without a doubt, I would purchase the fairway wood. It is simply the longest, most reliable fairway wood I've ever played. It's already in my bag and I haven't even had a personal fitting for it, yet!

I strongly suspect the reasons the hybrid isn't working out for me are my personal shaft preference and the differences in design with my Cleveland hybrid. The hybrid just doesn't match well with what I'm used to playing.

LOP Score: 100 (out of 100)

GripInsert.jpg

Subjective Notes

I've got very mixed feelings about the clubs, as they don't really work for me as a set. Overall though, I'm more impressed with the Bobby Jones clubs than I thought I would be. Bobby Jones equipment isn't heavily advertised, nor is it well displayed in most golf shops. I'm also a firm believer in personal club fitting and won't consider purchasing clubs without one. “Fitting” by email, while better than nothing, falls far short of a professional fitting.

Despite the limitations imposed by the way these clubs were selected, the driver and fairway wood easily exceeded my expectations and my issues with the hybrid could probably be resolved, if it were a priority to me.

Total Subjective Score: 95 (average of Looks, Sound & Feel, and LOP Scores)

SubjectiveInsert2.jpg

Conclusion

I'd like to once again thank Will and the staff at MGS for providing me with this opportunity to review the Bobby Jones Blackbirds. While it's exciting to be chosen, it's daunting as well. I know how much the member reviews, written by “folks like us” mean to me. The member reviews brought me to this site and the forums then became my online “golfing community.” High standards to live up to!

I hope you find my review beneficial in your personal search for “The Perfect Club.” It's unlikely I'd have found the Bobby Jones Blackbird as my “Perfect 3 Wood,” without MGS. It's because of MGS that most of my bag is now filled with the clubs I've acquired through my association with MGS, from my Nike Core putter, the Mizuno iron's I acquired from Rickles, the SCOR wedges and now the Bobby Jones 3 wood.

I'm sure some of you will find a place for a Blackbird, in your bag.

Total Score: 90 (Average Performance and Subjective Scores)

"You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about." - Bobby Jones

The Five

1. Will this set go in your bag? Why or why not? - The 3 wood is already there, it's likely the driver may follow in the near future.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this set? Why? - I've already suggested my fitter consider contacting Jesse Ortiz about carrying the brand and will recommend that anyone, of any ability should check them out.

3. How, if at all, did this set change your overall impression of Bobby Jones Golf Equipment? - I really can't say I HAD an impression of Bobby Jones Golf, prior to participating in this review. To the best I can recall, I've only seen Bobby Jones Golf equipment displayed in one store. This is a brand that's been “under the radar” for me, and I'm sure many other golfers.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? - I would either eliminate the painted sole of the clubs, or at least minimize it by removing paint from the leading edges that hit the turf.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? - I like being able to adjust the clubface angle on the driver and fairway wood. I would like to see this capability added to the hybrid, rather than limiting the hybrid to only a lie angle adjustment.

"No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par." - Bobby Jones

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The Follow-Up

Well, we're getting close to the end of our golf season in my "neck of the woods" so I think it's time to provide my concluding thoughts about the Bobby Jones Blackbirds.

If you've been following this thread, I think you'll know that all of us have been favorably impressed with the clubs we received and I've probably been the most critical, since I only ended up keeping the fairway wood in my bag.  Despite "benching" the driver and fairway wood, I heartily recommend that anyone considering new clubs give them a try!  Unfortunately, they're not as readily available as the PGA endorsed brands but they're worth searching for in your area (or contact Jesse Ortiz at the Bobby Jones website).

Having dislocated my left shoulder in early June, I missed a few weeks of playing time this summer and had to make some swing adjustments when rehabbing my injury.  I was just at the point where I'd re-shafted the driver and had a couple of great range sessions with it when I injured myself.  I think the new shaft was just too firm for me when I was able to start hitting driver again and went back to my Titleist I'm most familiar with.  The Blackbird is still my #2 and we'll see how my workouts go over the winter, but this driver is still a "keeper" for me.

Due to my new, flatter swing, I started hitting the 25* hybrid much better and gamed it for most of the rest of the season.  The only reason it's no longer in the bag is that I've been able to make better contact with my long irons the past few weeks and I only need one hybrid.  Since the hybrid distance is roughly between my 4 & 5 irons, I dropped the Blackbird from the mix.

I've already noted that the painted face and bottom of these clubs was wearing shortly after I started playing them.  The 3 wood is now VERY shiny on the face and bottom edge, but I don't mind since it works so well for me.  The finish doesn't affect the play-ability and that's really all that's important to me!

Everyone I've let try these clubs has noted how easy these clubs are to hit.  As to the loft of the 13* OLA, the boring trajectory is notable since most players assume it's a 10.5* loft until I tell them.  No "sky balls," like most people would expect - lol

Don't let the lack of "Brand Awareness" put you off, if you're in the market for some sweet swinging clubs, keep your mind and eyes open for the Bobby Jones Blackbirds!!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

TxStCatman and the Golfing Factory

30bh99w.jpg

“I've Got a Golden Ticket!”

Wow!  What an amazing opportunity to be selected for testing the woods/hybrids lineup from Bobby Jones Golf and Jesse Ortiz!  When contacted, I burst into my co-workers office screaming, “I got it!  I got it!”  Needless to say, I was met with a blank stare, the “What are you talking about?” kind that leads to awkward silences.  Maybe I should have waited until she finished her lunch?

I'm a 14 handicap, the guy who understands a lot about the game and equipment, but I've never taken a lesson, nor do I spend hours at the range each week, and tinker more than I probably should.  Thus, this opportunity is right up my alley; new clubs with shafts I've never hit before?  What more could I ask for?

f3x7j6.jpg

“The suspense is terrible… I hope it'll last.”

In comes the box last week, that triangular shape of mysterious goodness just waiting for me to rip it open.  I have to admit, and my wife would agree, that I get really giddy any time a box with golf equipment shows up at the house.  In this case, however, not knowing exactly what was inside had me really amped up.  WD and Jesse Ortiz had asked for some pertinent information with regards to my current setup.  I provided specs on lofts, shaft models and flexes and head models, but I really had no idea what the info would be used for except to find a closely matching stock setup.  Some weird dude named Bubbaworth came around saying he'd pay me money for some “everlastinglongbomber” or some other such club.  I don't know what he was talking about.

I quickly took the box out back for immediate opening and picture taking.  Never had I thought I'd open it and find what I did….

2n0zeo.jpg

“Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.”

I laughed with glee at the veritable box of skittles I'd opened up.  Inside from the Bobby Jones Golf Co. was a driver, fairway, and hybrid with a rainbow of Graphite Design shafts.  At first I thought, oh well surely these are some watered down, “made-for” shafts that the company had like other OEMs do.  WRONG!  My 10.5* driver was fitted with a MT7s, 4w/17* fairway with a GT8s, and 3i/21* hybrid with a DI85s.  Holy colorful candy, Batman!  Also included were two Bobby Jones branded Stitch leather headcovers, and a Bobby Jones branded knit pom headcover for the hybrid.  A small box labeled “wrench” contained the obvious.  Perhaps the best addition, though, had no actual purpose towards the clubs themselves, a note from Jesse Ortiz's own hand as follows:

“Dear Jose,

Since I use Graphite Design shafts for all of my offerings, I sent your specs to Bill McPherson at GDI for his recommendations for you.  Looking at what you currently are using, he came up with:

Tour AD MT7 – for the driver

GT8 – for the fairway wood

AD Di-85 – for the hybrid

I didn't have Pure Grips, so I went with Tour Velvets figuring you could change them out.  The driver is loud but that is common with cup-face design drivers.  Put aside the sound and focus on performance.  The drivers & fairway woods are FACE ANGLE adjustable.  The hybrid is LIE ANGLE adjustable.

Please feel free to call me with any questions.  My cell is (WITHHELD).  Thanks for your time to test these.

Best regards,

Jesse Ortiz”

157yqdh.jpg

“Now over here, if you'll follow me, we have something very special.”

I have to say, the clubs look really good.  All the heads are matte black with what I find to be one of the cooler alignment aides I've seen on a club in a long while.  The aides look like power buttons from a computer or electronic device in a deep red.  The same red also frames the back of the crown, completing a very stealthy look.  The soles are very understated, shrugging off the contemporary “brighter is better” so many other OEMs are going for.  While the adjustability is limited in this line, one thing that is nice is that the adapter/hosel area doesn't look like a monstrosity like some others out there.  It almost looks rather like a natural, fixed-hosel design.  I'm concerned with the “loud” factor Jesse Ortiz wrote about, but we'll have to see how that plays out.  I'm hoping that it's loud by today's standards and not akin to that yellow and black baseball bat club from about 6-7 years ago.  First glances tell me I'll have to get used to the head shape of the driver.  It reminds me of the 2009 Burner with a funky shape out behind the toe, and you really get a sense of the size of the club.  After playing a sub 460cc head for a season, I hope the adjustment doesn't take too long.  The fairway and hybrid heads look absolutely wonderful to my eye, and I'll be looking forward to a driver-4 wood-3 hybrid setup in the bag.  I can't wait to take these out to the range, test them compared to clubs currently in the arsenal, and of course take them out for several rounds in the next month.  Yes, I'll be changing the grips, as Jesse mentioned.

Thanks MGS and Bobby Jones Golf for this amazing opportunity!

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

Bobby Jones Metalwoods – Official MGS Forum Review by TXSTCATMAN

25t7xp0.jpg

INTRO

So my unboxing post had a bit of the child-like wonder and awe associated with being selected for such an opportunity. Afterwards, I started to think about what exactly I knew about the Bobby Jones golf brand. Aside from watching a movie or two about the man, my only knowledge was from some infomercials about wedges that were on TV a long time ago. I could tell you that I knew about the little copper medallion used in marking the clubs produced by Bobby Jones Golf, but that is about all I knew. Thanks to this chance to review a driver, fairway, and hybrid, I am more likely to pay attention to the direction this brand goes in. They're not a big player in the big box stores, but I don't think you necessarily have to be in order to be successful.

Performance

erbv5y.jpg

Driver Performance

• Accuracy – One of the things that I immediately began thinking about was accuracy with a large head driver. I haven't been too big of a fan of 460cc heads, having played the smaller offerings from a couple of OEMs the last few years. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with how accurate this driver is. It took me a few rounds of golf and range sessions to figure things out, but I finally settled in on what seems to be the “-1” setting. This helped me really straighten out my shots, given the way I swing. I now have the confidence to line up on a tee box and make a swing on the ball without having to think that my alignment or swing path need to be tweaked too far.
​
  • Distance – On average, I felt that my good strikes traveled as far as other clubs I've hit. The design of the club allows for some excellent forgiveness on mishits and keeps the ball out there without losing too much on a bad swing. I can say that while it may not be winning any blue ribbons for being the longest driver out there, it certainly is reliable for good overall distance through a round. Compared to my Covert Tour 1.0 with UST Chrome, I'd put the Bobby Jones Black with Tour AD MT 7s up against it in a heartbeat.
  • Trajectory Characteristics – WOW! I love the ball flight I've experienced with this driver! I know part of it is the design of the head, but being paired with the Tour AD MT shaft has been phenomenal. I continuously see a mid-high, boring flight. The ball just seems to rise to a perfect height, then just goes and goes. I've only experienced some ballooning when hitting into the wind, but usually that has more to do with a bad swing than anything else. I don't think it's hard to get the ball airborne, nor is it hard to try and keep it low when it's required.
  • Forgiveness – Forgiveness with this driver is pretty good. I've found that bad swings, regardless of the club, are going to yield bad shots. This driver, however, has left me with more playable second shots than others I've experienced. Bad contact on the face might lead to a few yards lost in distance, but nothing that would make a hole more challenging.
  • Control – I'm not a guy that tries to work the ball left or right on purpose. I grew into the game playing a natural fade. That being said, I have been able to turn this club over, even in my swing, to produce some small draws, but only every when trying to do so in range sessions. Because hitting left-to-right is my norm, I play that shot during my rounds. Again, it isn't hard to hit the ball low or high with this club, something that helps in Texas winds!
​
  • Range vs Course – For some reason, I have a hard time taking my range game to the golf course. I can even show up early for a round and hit on the course's range and still swing poorly on the first tee. I think I need a course in mental preparation. However, after my last range session and tweaking of the club, I think that I'll be able to take my swing and confidence easily into my next round. At this point in time, I definitely hit this driver better on the range. Below is a short monitor session with best shots hit between the Bobby Jones Black with Tour AD MT 7S and my Nike Covert Tour with UST Elements Chrome 7F4T. Overall numbers averaged better with the Bobby Jones driver despite not having a very good hitting session (I never hit on monitors well compared to outside, but there just wasn't a range with any kind of monitoring available).

Driver Score: 96 (out of 100)

29yfio1.jpg

Fairway Performance

• Accuracy – I hate to admit this has been the hardest club for me to adjust to playing. I've never had a 4 wood in the bag before, and it's translated to my play with this club. My swing has led me to tinker with the settings on this club, and I've finally got it set to where I can expect my typical fade without being off into right field. This fairway hasn't been the worst I've ever hit, but I have a tendency to not get along with fairways, regardless of the brand. That I can hit this in a predictable manner is a good sign that it will stay in the bag. I feel the setting I have it on (+2) has given me the best results thus far.
  • Distance – Playing a club in this loft range has been hard for me to get used to. Being higher lofted, I knew that I was going to lose a bit of distance compared to a 15* fairway wood. I was surprised to then see that there was little drop off when compared to my R11 fairway. Distance on my current setting is pretty good for where I'd be needing this club. It's great off the tee, and excellent on long Par 5s for either getting into striking distance or going at the green. There have been a couple times, however, that I'd wished I'd opted for a 15* model, just to see how much a difference in distance there might be.
  • Trajectory Characteristics – The combination of the AD GT shaft with the loft of this fairway have lent for a natural ability to get the ball in the air. Hitting off the turf is quite easy, as the club glides across the ground and rough. Off the tee, I've been able to hit the ball low, but I haven't felt the need to do so as I could just as easily hit driver in such situations. I will say the trajectory of this club is pretty high, somewhat higher than I am used to playing.
  • Forgiveness – This club, probably more so than the other two, I have found to be consistent with other models on the market. Given the nature of the head size, a mis-hit is going to be bad. Usually due to a bad swing path, I'll find myself off to the right or having flipped the club over in the process.
  • Control – Again, I'm not a person who tries to work the ball either direction on purpose. I've had to adjust the settings on the club just to get a dependable fade, which is perfectly fine for my game. Launch off the tee is dependable with this club!
  • Range vs Course – I have to say that this club has been more dependable, surprisingly, on the course than on the range. I think it's that I over-complicate things on the range trying to find the right setup, swing path, or tempo whereas on the course I just pull the club out and fire away. I've been more comfortable with it in my hands on the course, for sure.

Fairway Score: 94 (out of 100)

14kv5u0.jpg

Hybrid Performance

• Accuracy – Of all three clubs I've had a chance to test, this one is by far the easiest to hit straight. I love the head shape; looking down at it inspires confidence and I don't have any doubts that it's going long and straight for me. This club is super easy to hit straight guys.
  • Distance – Again, this club is crazy easy to hit straight, and what does that usually equate to? You got it, distance! I finally have a club I can count on consistently for that 200-210 yard range that was hard to hit with my 5 wood consistently before being selected to test. I love how the club sounds at impact, and it just sounds like the ball is going to go far on every hit.
  • Trajectory Characteristics – The AD DI shaft with this head has helped produce nice high ball flights that just go. It's nice to actually hit a hybrid in the manner with which they were intended. The trajectory definitely helps land the ball softly onto greens. The club head travels through the turf very easily whether in the fairway or rough, making contact predictable off any lie.
  • Forgiveness – This is one club where forgiveness was an afterthought for me. Not because of anything wrong, but just because I felt like I could never mis-hit it. Off the toe, heel, low or high on the face, the ball just keeps going straight for me and with not a whole lot of distance lost. This club will definitely leave you with a smile on your face and wanting to hit it over and over again!
  • Control – Again, something this club does well is elements of control. Off the tee I feel like I can keep it low or hit a towering shot, while off the turf it can provide nice trajectories as well. I've been able to hit my typical fade as well as a few draws, both accidentally and on purpose.
  • Range vs Course – I've felt that this club is dependable both in practice and in play on the course. Every time it comes out of the bag it feels so easy to put a good swing on. I love that I can trust it to deliver in a pinch on long second shots or recovery shots off bad drives. Basically… This. Thing. Works.

Hybrid Score: 98 (out of 100)

2vlv677.jpg

Performance Notes

As a set, I've been very comfortable putting these clubs in play. From the very beginning, I liked the gaps in lofts, and went with the three as my non-iron setup in the bag. I feel that the fairway and hybrid travel through the turf especially well, even in thick rough. It's easy to make contact with the ball in most lies. The driver is a club I've always struggled with for consistency, yet I finally think I have a tool in the bag that can allow for consistency. I'm very happy with the clubs I chose to test, and look forward to being able to provide more feedback in the coming days.

Total Performance Score: 96

23ivztk.jpg

Subjective

Looks

I love the shape of the fairway and hybrid clubs. The driver looks a bit odd at first, reminding me of the 2009 TM Burner when looking down at it. The odd curvature behind the toe is funky to see, but easy to get used to. The graphics on the crown and sole of the clubs are simple, understated, and pretty pleasing given the latest trends of having words and stripes on available clubs. I really liked the “power button” alignment aid as I am a bit geeky about computers. The matte black and red graphics look really good to my eye, and the sole graphics being simple make the club look very streamlined. After a half dozen rounds and several range sessions, I'd say these clubs wear just as well as any other black faced club on the market. The driver actually holds up really well, while the fairway and hybrid have shown more wear due to ground contact. Compared to other brands' offerings in these club categories, I'd have to say that Bobby Jones Golf is definitely on the right track to providing quality products. The use of Graphite Design shafts is a huge plus, and instills a sense of confidence when putting the clubs in play. I'd definitely say that these clubs are on par, if not better than others available now in terms of looks, and everyone should take a serious look at them if the opportunity presents itself.

Looks Score: 97 (out of 100)

nd7giv.jpg

Sound and Feel

Both the fairway and hybrid clubs provide a nice, muted “tink” sound that I really enjoy hearing upon impact. The driver, however, took a little while to get used to. The best way I could describe it is a comparison to the Nike SQ Sumo drivers. The Bobby Jones model doesn't sound nearly as loud as its yellow predecessor, but it still gives me flashbacks to playing little league baseball with metal bats. I definitely saw heads turn my way on the range and even had playing partners comment on the sound during the rounds I played. It passes after a few swings, especially when you catch one really good and just smile when you get to your second shot AFTER everyone else. The sound really translates to how the ball feels coming off the face. The cup face design provides a lot of spring that can be felt on impact. I will say that shots on different parts of the face of all three clubs sounds pretty consistent, with only the driver providing a really discernible difference in contact areas. If the driver could sound more like the fairway and hybrid, we'd have the best sound clubs I'd ever experienced.

Sound and Feel Score: 95 (out of 100)

14yan42.jpg

I would definitely consider a purchase of the hybrid in this set. Being a poor fairway club player, I have a hard time with most 3 and 5 woods. However, if Bobby Jones offered a stronger lofted hybrid I'd consider it in an instant. The driver would be a strong consideration compared to other clubs I've tried, only because I've experienced how, when set up correctly, it can provide consistent performance.

LOP Score: 93 (out of 100)

2zdvwwy.jpg

Subjective Notes

I love the way these clubs look, sound, and feel. Looking at them almost makes me forget that I don't hit fairways well, or that I struggle with driver consistency. The clubs look the way clubs should, simple in design and graphics, and with the right colors. The fairway and hybrid sound amazing enough to forgive the driver's sound, making it easy to put all three clubs into play at once. I like the feel of all three clubs with regards to contact, and can always tell when I've made good contact versus bad.

Total Subjective Score: 95

xfvm9g.jpg

Conclusion

I want to thank Bobby Jones Golf, Jesse Ortiz, and MGS for the opportunity to review these golf clubs. It has been an amazing experience thus far, and I hope to have many more things to share with the forum about these clubs.

As an avid golfer who doesn't take lessons, doesn't put any stock into what the wannabe teaching pro hitting balls at the range has to say, and tinkers more than he practices, I finally feel like I've received the “golden ticket” to getting my metal play on track. I have enjoyed my time with the clubs thus far, and look forward to their continued use on the course. I think I'm on the right track, and look forward to seeing improved scoring chances with them. I am already used to the sound of the driver, and I suggest to anyone who has a chance to try these clubs to look past that particular aspect of performance, as Jesse asked me to do.

Total Score: 96

zu5nh5.jpg

The Five

• Will these club go in your bag? Why or why not? For now, yes. I feel like I have been a bit more consistent with this driver in the bag. The forgiveness is a nice thing to have when I'm on the course and having a bad swing day. I feel that while I'm inconsistent with the fairway, I still hit it better than my other options in that category, so the Bobby Jones will be staying in the bag. The hybrid is a no-brainer for having a permanent place in any bag I set up.
  • To whom, if anyone, would you recommend these clubs? Why? I'd recommend these clubs to just about anyone. Traditionalists might not like the head shape on the driver, or the sound it produces. All I can say is to give it a chance. The fairway has a nice look to it that anyone may find appealing, and the hybrid is just a great club. If you're a high handicap player, consider giving these a go.
  • How, if at all, did these clubs change your overall impression of Bobby Jones Golf? These clubs actually have piqued my interest in Bobby Jones Golf. I spent time browsing the company website to learn more information of the brand as a whole. I no longer think of it in terms of old wedge commercials.
  • What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? There isn't a whole lot to change about the overall design of these clubs. Paint and graphics are top notch and pretty durable. The sound of the driver is directly related to the face design, but I wonder if some interior weighting choices could be made to help minimize the effect of the design on sound output.
  • What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? I do think that there should be some literature provided with the clubs with regards to their adjustability. Having played other adjustable drivers and fairways, I enjoy when there is some kind of pamphlet that verbally and graphically illustrates how to work the clubs changeable features.

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

Placeholder 3

• 2 weeks later...

Unboxing material posted!  Thanks again Bobby Jones Golf, Jesse Ortiz, and MGS for this awesome opportunity.  As I review these three clubs over the next three to four weeks, feel free to ask any questions.  I'll provide some info but mostly save the big stuff for the big reviews!

Those look awesome, can't wait to hear how they perform

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I was rather disappointed when I was first contacted about writing a member review for MGS. The winter was NOT giving way to spring and it still looked like it would be a few weeks before any regular playing time was possible. Fortunately, WD explained to me that it would be a couple of weeks before any clubs would ship and we'd have a few weeks to work with them before submitting a review, so my disappointment quickly turned to excited anticipation! Not only would I be able to test "a club," I'd be testing the new Bobby Jones Driver, Fairway Wood and Hybrid!!

attachicon.gifPOSTClubSet.jpg

Some quick background about myself. I'm a 61 year old hacker in South Dakota who didn't discover the game until after I'd turned 50, then didn't really get serious about game improvement until 6 years ago. There are some nice golf courses in my area, but needless to say, we've got a shortened season lasting between 5 to 7 months. As I got closer to retirement, I realized the only way I could stay in shape and not have to "re-learn" my swing every year was to practice year-round, so last January I setup my shop for practice with a GC2 launch monitor and ended last season with a 14 handicap.

Once I knew what clubs we'd be testing, I immediately went to Bobby Jones online to check out the specs. I liked the look of the clubs, modern yet classic. Appropriate for the name "Bobby Jones."

attachicon.gifPOSTBox&Quote.jpg

I wasn't quite sure what shafts I should select because, despite my mid-80's swing speed, my fitter had setup my fairway wood and irons with S-Flex as I have better control with firmer shafts. Of course, there is no real standard for S-R-A flex between vendors, so my S-Flex shafts are actually "light stiff," or "strong regular," depending on what a fitter might select. Something I didn't really expect was the request from Jesse Ortiz for the specs for our current clubs! Fortunately, I had my launch monitor results for my current clubs handy, so I was able to include those along with my shaft and grip information.

When the clubs arrived, I immediately took the box out to my shop to open it, and inside the standard tri-fold club packaging, was inscribed: Bobby Jones "Golf is a game of considerable passion “which burns inwardly and sears the soul.” It's a nice touch, that reminds us of the legacy surrounding this company's namesake. Also included with the clubs and adjustment wrench was a personal note from Jesse Ortiz, "Dear William, Thanks for your time to test my clubs out. I had some mid-size Win V-17s in our design, so I put those on. Based on your specs, I went with our G-Series shafts. The Driver & Fairway are FACE ANGLE adjustable. The Hybrid is LIE ANGLE adjustable. The driver is loud, which is common with cup-face designs and big bodies. Concentrate on performance and put the sound to the side. Feel Free to call me with any questions you may have.   My cell is (WITHHELD).  Best Regards, Jesse."

attachicon.gifPOSTHeadCovers.jpg

Jesse's personal shaft selections for me are: Graphite Design G-Series Driver 40g R-Flex, Fairway 62g R-Flex and Hybrid 73g R-Flex. Before taking them out for a field test, the practice swings felt nice and balanced, easy to control.

I called my wife out to help me get some pictures taken before the sun went down, as I had to get the pictures taken as soon as possible. These clubs were going to the range in the morning!

Really like the old-school head covers on these

I want to thank Bobby Jones Golf, Jesse Ortiz, and MGS for this terrific opportunity.  This experience has already exceeded my expectations, and it just keeps getting better!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Really like the old-school head covers on these

I think they're a nice "touch of class" to the clubs and in keeping with the Bobby Jones tradition.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Nice Start guys.....  Ineresting to see how they perform at TPC San Antonio this weekend TXCATMAN.....  I will bring hearing protection for when you hit the driver....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Nice Start guys.....  Ineresting to see how they perform at TPC San Antonio this weekend TXCATMAN.....  I will bring hearing protection for when you hit the driver....

I'll just say this. It isn't THAT loud, but it's noticeable if you aren't used to it. A few swings and I stopped noticing it, kinda like I did with the red crown of the Covert.

I've got hearing aids in both ears, so it's really not an issue for me, all I hear is "TINK" - lol  Players in my group said it's noticeable, but not extreme.  Apparently, it's similar in sound to the original Cleveland Hibore driver.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Nice start guys. I'm anxious to hear about that fairway wood.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have never hit a Bobby Jones but they sure are pretty clubs!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I have never hit a Bobby Jones but they sure are pretty clubs!!

My exact thought while unboxing.  Heads look really nice, and the "bag of skittles" shafts were nice to look at too.

These clubs look fantastic. I think you'll really like those tour ad shafts too. I've used one in the past and I loved it. Take a look over at golfworks if you are wondering what these go for, they aren't cheap shaft offerings.

These clubs look fantastic. I think you'll really like those tour ad shafts too. I've used one in the past and I loved it. Take a look over at golfworks if you are wondering what these go for, they aren't cheap shaft offerings.

Yup, jaw kinda hit the floor seeing the real-deal shafts in there.  Initial impressions on flight and feel are positive.  Gonna bag them over the Covert driver and 3w and R11 5w this weekend.

Looking forward to these. Loved the older hybrids with the copper medalion on the bottom but never could bring myself to pull the trigger on one. Depending on the reviews I may have to give them another look. Especially if he's doing real deal tour ad shafts. That matte black looks pretty sweet.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I'll just say this. It isn't THAT loud, but it's noticeable if you aren't used to it. A few swings and I stopped noticing it, kinda like I did with the red crown of the Covert.

Honestly, I dont think I would have even noticed the sound unless it was pointed out to me.  It is louder than my RBZ, but not obnoxiously loud.  Like someone else said, it has the same tone as an aluminum baseball bat, just not as loud.

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Honestly, I dont think I would have even noticed the sound unless it was pointed out to me.  It is louder than my RBZ, but not obnoxiously loud.  Like someone else said, it has the same tone as an aluminum baseball bat, just not as loud.

I think I mentioned that via PM, kinda sounds like a muted Nike SQ.

Archived