Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Forum Member Reviews! Custom Bobby Jones Driver, FW, Hybrid!

GolfSpy WD

If my driver can give me good distance and keep me in the short grass, it can make any sound it wants to :P

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after not receiving the headcovers in my initial package, Golfspy WD contacted Jesse Ortiz and had a set sent to me... These things are so cool... vintage look, nice leather smell, strong elastic to keep them from coming off, and a decent amount of padding to keep the heads safe...  Plus the colors match the shaft and the head perfectly...

2014-05-30 17.18.25.jpg

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Had a good range session today. Really liking the Tour AD selections for my specs. On course testing Sunday at TPC San Antonio where the Valero is played. Course ate me alive last year but I feel in a much better place swing-wise this time.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

So last round was a little hit n miss. Playing tomorrow afternoon with a few guys from work. I think it'll go well.

One thing I will say is I'm really liking ball flights with these clubs.

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

So last round was a little hit n miss. Playing tomorrow afternoon with a few guys from work. I think it'll go well.

One thing I will say is I'm really liking ball flights with these clubs.

That driver is stupid easy to hit.........  B) B) B) B)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

That driver is stupid easy to hit.........  B) B) B) B)

Yes, it is!  And that's a GOOD thing ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I played in a captain and crew tournament today, and I was able to unleash on the driver and really let it rip... Because I knew that even if I missed, the rest of my teammates would pick up the slack, I really tried to push the driver to the limits.

I had some great drives and some not so great misses, but overall I (as well as my playing partners) was very impressed.

My four best drives were 291, 285, 274, and 262.  WAY better than my average fairway drive of 255.  BUT, I also had some horrible drives, because I was trying too hard, and had too much to drink (the other guys I was playing with already had drives in the middle, no reason not to swing harder) .  Three didn't make it farther than 75 yards, but I blame the Jamison Black Barrel (Oh so smooth), Labatt Blue, and the Cuban cigar.

Didn't really get to hit the FW or hybrid too much, but the few times I did hit them, the main thing that jumped out as memorable was that I love the sound of these clubs.  I'll try to get a video or sound clip for my official review.

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I'll admit, it's unlikely I would have ever considered Bobby Jones clubs (if I even found them around here!) if I hadn't been able to review these.  I'm very glad I did.  I've been letting my playing partners try them, as well, and they all agree the driver is "stupid easy" to hit!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

At the tournament last weekend one of the guys I was playing with asked if he could "try out my grandpa's club"  After hitting it three holes in a row, he was seriously impressed.

I guess word or mouth and real life is a good way to advertise...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• 2 weeks later...

Having read through the drafts of the reviews, I gotta say it is really bizarre how every tester had different opinions. 

All three will be posted this week, stay tuned!

Well, my review is posted and it may even seem bizarre how different my opinion is between the clubs within the set! ;)

I'll be traveling for the next week, but will check the forum to answer questions, or comment, as I'm able.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Wbealsd - I enjoyed your review, especially because you were playing the Wishon 949mc and were able to compare it to the blackbird. Would you be willing to discuss in a little more detail how you felt these two compared. It looks like the blackbird provided you are better shot shape - but what about playing off of various turf conditions, overall distance, forgiveness. I've never owned a 949 but I had a demo one for a while and enjoyed it. It was pretty good, so for the blackbird to bump that out of your bag it must be an impressive club.

The 949MC is a fine club head, I've been using it for a couple of years and liked it so much I have 2 of the 16.5* and one 18*.  Although, I've switched to the Mizuno MP-32's now, I played the TW M500 irons earlier this spring.  My club fitter and I joke about my "man-crush" for Tom Wishon.  You might notice I've updated my signature to reflect the Bobby Jones 25* hybrid's been replaced with a Tom Wishon 321Li.

The primary reason I switched is the "fade" I often get from the 949MC 16.5* 4 wood, as opposed to my usual draw.  I found myself trying to setup differently for the 4 wood, which is distracting for me.  With the 17* Bobby Jones Blackbird, I get a higher ball flight than I do with the 16.5* and better carry and distance than I do with the 18* 949MC. 

I suppose it's the club face design on the Blackbird and perhaps it's a better shaft combination for me, too.  Total distance is about the same as I get with the 16.5* 949MC, but more consistently where I'm aiming, so my effective distance is improved.  The BIG difference for me, is simply that I don't have to "mess around" when setting up for a shot, it just seems to "fit my eye" and I swing naturally.  Because I don't have to "think" about my setup, I'm also much more comfortable using the Blackbird off a tee!

I'll admit, I only use my fairway woods on fairways or light, "first-cut rough."  If I've got much grass between the club face and the ball and need distance, I switch to my 3 hybrid.

It may be that I need to get re-fit for my 4 wood, but since the Blackbird is in the bag, it's no longer a priority - B)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Thanks wbealsd. I appreciate the follow up! Wishon makes some great stuff, and while not always the snazziest - it's tough to argue with its performance. I'm glad to see you've got a few good options to play with!!

Indeed it is, Jondagcl.

My scores are starting to reflect that, as well. The fairway wood, in particular, is placing me in a position to regularly score pars and birdies on those par 5s and long par 4s!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Indeed it is, Jondagcl.

My scores are starting to reflect that, as well. The fairway wood, in particular, is placing me in a position to regularly score pars and birdies on those par 5s and long par 4s!

That's fantastic. Perhaps the hidden gem in the Bobby Jones set may end up being the fairway wood!

That's fantastic. Perhaps the hidden gem in the Bobby Jones set may end up being the fairway wood!

The fairway wood is certainly my favorite, but if you're looking for a driver, the Bobby Jones is certainly worth giving a try. I'm currently trawling, but dropped the driver off with my fitter to replace the shaft with the same model I have in my Wishon 4 wood.

The driver is still in competition for my "game bag!"

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I just played a par 4 course, where most holes were between 240 and 280 yards.  Most holes I used the 3 wood (probably the most I've used it), and I am loving the low trajectory.  This is most likely due to the shaft, but the ball flight is LOW and the roll out is long.

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

My review is up!!!

It's weird I've never owned a bobby jones club but I'm loving your reviews. Sweet looking sticks.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Played Sunday again with these. Actually hit the 3 wood solidly and the hybrid was money again. For some reason I couldn't recreate my range success on the course with my driver. Granted we had winds easily in the 20 MPH range pushing things all over the place. Gonna get another range session in Thursday if my grad course assignments are finished tomorrow night, and a round in either Sunday or Monday coming up.

I've been hit and miss for internet access while I've been traveling and I'm still getting caught up on chores, now that I'm back home.

I did get the shaft on the driver swapped out while I was gone, so I'm hoping to get in some range time this weekend, to "shake off the rust" and see if I gain any distance.

My daughter has my game bag in her car and is gone this weekend, so I won't be able to compare the Blackbird with my Titleist 913 D2 until sometime next week.

I'll post my thoughts on the shaft swap within the next couple of days.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Based on my range session yesterday, with a Fujitsu EFX stiff shaft in the Blackbird driver, I put it in the bag to play tomorrow morning. I was getting better ball flight and appeared to gan distance, as well. It looks like the Titleist will get bumped to #2.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry this morning, climbing over a fence, and caught my foot... Dislocated my left shoulder and will be out of commission for awhile... Doc wants me to immobilize the shoulder for 3 weeks, but I'm going to a sports doctor Wednesday, for a second opinion.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Based on my range session yesterday, with a Fujitsu EFX stiff shaft in the Blackbird driver, I put it in the bag to play tomorrow morning. I was getting better ball flight and appeared to gan distance, as well. It looks like the Titleist will get bumped to #2.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry this morning, climbing over a fence, and caught my foot... Dislocated my left shoulder and will be out of commission for awhile... Doc wants me to immobilize the shoulder for 3 weeks, but I'm going to a sports doctor Wednesday, for a second opinion.

That really sucks. Having just come back from being out of commission for 4 weeks, I know your pain. Hopefully the second opinion gives you a better timetable.

Archived