Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ping Invasion - The Fitting Process

I don't think this is really accurate. Hitting their clubs would change most minds. G400 is one of the best drivers made. I'm pretty biased, but their products aren't doing anything but getting better. Not to mention, if you got enough game to bag the iBlade, you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking and better performing players iron. Everything but their wedges are up there with the best, and they don't do that thing where they slam new products down your throat every other hour.

I think that's exactly what he was saying in that post.

And I agree. I've picked up the G400 driver, crossover and 3 wood and couldn't be happier. I have the S55's in my bag as well. PING is sick a steady Eddie company, and this past year has been fantastic for them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Have you noticed having the sand and lob wedge the same set up as the irons affecting the touch shots?  Normally a wedge flex is around S300, correct?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Do normal golf shops (edwinn watts, golf galaxy, etc) have the same custom fitting tools or would a trip to a Ping performance center be required?

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Do normal golf shops (edwinn watts, golf galaxy, etc) have the same custom fitting tools or would a trip to a Ping performance center be required?

Will depend on the location. One of the shops near me had a limited set of shafts and heads in the G400 driver line.

The ping website indicates which ships are supposed to have fitting carts but a call to the specific location will give you a better idea of the fitting options they offer. Note that the quality of the fitting will be based on the knowledge and experience of the person doing the fittting.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Most shops have the basic fitting cart with a handful of shafts and usually 35% of the shafts are regular flex, 55% are stiff flex and the remaining 10% are X Flex. 

From my time perusing various golf shops, here's what you can find and price point:

Basic Fitting Cart:

Golf Galaxy or Edwin Watts - Free

Public area of PGA SS - Free

Advanced shaft selection:

Fitting area of PGA SS - $

Golf Courses with Ping affiliation - $

Best selection available to the public:

Club Champion - $$

Cat's meow:

Ping HQ - $$$$

Call your PGA SS and ask for the fitting area. The one here in The Woodlands has a really good selection of shafts for various companies. The majority of the shafts are for TM and Callaway, but there's still a good selection for Cobra and Ping...depending on if the company has updated their adapter. I did a driver fitting for $49 at the SS and went through 14 different club/shaft combos before settling on one I liked. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a top 100 fitter and he put me in the ie1s (i200s weren't released yet). The face surely doesn't feel as hot as, let's say... the jpx 900 hot metals, but my gapping has been on point. The previous Gs were certainly easier to hit (straight and high) but I chose the more appealing ball flight and sense of control for me. Hope the G400s work out for you!

AppGator

Driver: Callaway FT-9 Aldila NV 65 (9 degrees, Stiff)

Woods: Titleist 910Fd Fairway (17.5 degrees, Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid Alta Shaft (22 degrees, Regular)

Irons: Ping I E1 Regular AWT 2.0 Black Dot, 5 Iron 38.00" 26 degrees, 6 Iron 37.50" 29 degrees, 7 Iron 37.00" 32 degrees, 8 Iron 36.50" 36 degrees, 9 Iron 36.00" 41 degrees, PW     35.50" 45 degrees

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degrees, F, Titleist Vokey SM7 54 degrees, S, Titleist Vokey SM7 58 degrees, D, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54.12 degrees, Cobra Tour Trusty 58.10 degrees

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Blade

Right-handed

Raleigh, NC

15 hcp

The biggest concern with traditional or big box stores is not just if they have all the options for a proper fitting, but do the folks doing the fitting know what they are doing.  I've done fittings at some of these places and about the only information they are using is lie boards and your swing speed.  Having done a few fittings now with some real pros (TXG in Toronto, check out their You Tube channel) there is so very much more to it!

Driver: Ping G400LST 8.5* (Set to 7.5*), HZRDS Smoke 6.5, 45 inches

FW: Cobra King LTD, 13.5D*

Hybrid: Titleist 816 19, and 21 Degree, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85s Hybrid

4-GW:  Titleist 718 AP2, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue. S400 Hard stepped

SW: 54* Vokey SM7,14 F-Grind

LW: 58* Vokey SM 7, 08 M-Grind

Putter: Edel

Ball: Pro V1

The biggest concern with traditional or big box stores is not just if they have all the options for a proper fitting, but do the folks doing the fitting know what they are doing. I've done fittings at some of these places and about the only information they are using is lie boards and your swing speed. Having done a few fittings now with some real pros (TXG in Toronto, check out their You Tube channel) there is so very much more to it!

If I were anywhere near Toronto, I'd be at TXG constantly. I can't tell you how much I've learned from their YouTube videos.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

The biggest concern with traditional or big box stores is not just if they have all the options for a proper fitting, but do the folks doing the fitting know what they are doing.  I've done fittings at some of these places and about the only information they are using is lie boards and your swing speed.  Having done a few fittings now with some real pros (TXG in Toronto, check out their You Tube channel) there is so very much more to it!

I agree with your concerns about the big box stores. I go to my local little golf shop ran by a PGA professional. When he fits me for my clubs it is a work out. Hit this shaft, this shaft. he looks at the numbers which make no sense to me, thank goodness he does. An hour later he knows what look goods and I know what i like!

Bubba

I agree with your concerns about the big box stores. I go to my local little golf shop ran by a PGA professional. When he fits me for my clubs it is a work out. Hit this shaft, this shaft. he looks at the numbers which make no sense to me, thank goodness he does. An hour later he knows what look goods and I know what i like!

Fitting in Hawaii? Aloha Golf? TJ is my dude!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 1 month later...

I had a Ping fitting about a decade ago and it sounds like the process and technology has improved. I still play those clubs, but your 175 yd 7 iron has peaked my interest!

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

My 7 iron is standard loft of 36° . Typical loft before mfgrs started decreasing loft to be able to claim their irons go farther. Vanishing loft disease. Miura Limited Edition blades. App. 2005 year. PW is 48°. I only carry PW, 53° & 58° wedges. Seems like newer irons with jacked up lofts to cater to egos ... need a gap wedge to fill the gap between PW & SW. Or (2) gap wedges.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Are there other places around the US where one can get this level of expertise in club fitting? 

At 72, I'm not going to go through the process of changing my swing.  It is what it is, and I can get around the course with it just fine.  But I could use a little help getting a little more distance and forgiveness.  So, I am hell-bent on getting fitted for a new set of Ping G700s. 

While I have a large golf store nearby that offers fittings for all the major brands, I've watched them fitting others on occasion and I won't go near them!  They look like they all took the same 30-minute video course and called themselves certified.

I'd like to find a Ping facility close by that I can trust.  I know I should probably go to a reputable fitter and settle on the clubs he recommends after the process, regardless of brand.  However, I have my heart set on Pings and I just want to get them fitted to me.

Are there other places around the US where one can get this level of expertise in club fitting?

At 72, I'm not going to go through the process of changing my swing. It is what it is, and I can get around the course with it just fine. But I could use a little help getting a little more distance and forgiveness. So, I am hell-bent on getting fitted for a new set of Ping G700s.

While I have a large golf store nearby that offers fittings for all the major brands, I've watched them fitting others on occasion and I won't go near them! They look like they all took the same 30-minute video course and called themselves certified.

I'd like to find a Ping facility close by that I can trust. I know I should probably go to a reputable fitter and settle on the clubs he recommends after the process, regardless of brand. However, I have my heart set on Pings and I just want to get them fitted to me.

Have you checked the PING website for demo days. It's retail tech van just spent two weeks in the are doing fittings at two different locations. I know several people who were fit for a variety of the clubs those two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Have you checked the PING website for demo days. It's retail tech van just spent two weeks in the are doing fittings at two different locations. I know several people who were fit for a variety of the clubs those two weeks.

Burnsie,

welcome your only a few months older than me which I don't see often, I'm also seriously considering the G700's. The Demo Day is a great way to find what is good for you. Wish you luck Bud and keep us in the loop.

I'm waiting to put my hands on G700's left hand. Not easy to find.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Burnsie,

welcome your only a few months older than me which I don't see often, I'm also seriously considering the G700's. The Demo Day is a great way to find what is good for you. Wish you luck Bud and keep us in the loop.

I'm waiting to put my hands on G700's left hand. Not easy to find.

I'm thinking those Ping G700 irons is right up your alley old buddy!   They sure are purty.....  ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived