Ping Invasion - The Fitting Process

Our Sponsors

In my opinion Ping has really fallen off. I find myself less and less interested in Ping's clubs, hats, ect...

I kind of feel the other way on this.  If I hadn't already gotten two sets of irons this summer, one for review and the other as a result of a Titleist event, I would have certainly had the G400's on the top of my list for irons.   I am going to demo the G400 Driver at the PGA Show and will definitely pick one up afterward.  

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, Tim and Dave visited Ping, they got custom fit - so... the question really is, was there anything surprising?      The answer is a resounding YES   1) The Ping NFlight Motion Fitting Tool i

I think that's exactly what he was saying in that post.  And I agree. I've picked up the G400 driver, crossover and 3 wood and couldn't be happier. I have the S55's in my bag as well. PING is sick a

Most shops have the basic fitting cart with a handful of shafts and usually 35% of the shafts are regular flex, 55% are stiff flex and the remaining 10% are X Flex.    From my time perusing various

Posted Images

I kind of feel the other way on this.  If I hadn't already gotten two sets of irons this summer, one for review and the other as a result of a Titleist event, I would have certainly had the G400's on the top of my list for irons.   I am going to demo the G400 Driver at the PGA Show and will definitely pick one up afterward.  

Yea me too Rob.   Once I finally get up to Club Champion in Atlanta, I'm going to demo the paint off the G400 with different shafts etc.  

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm looking at upgrading my irons this year and currently the G400s are sitting atop the want list. I just need to go hit them and get fitted to make sure they are what I need.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra F8 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 50 Stiff
3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
5 Wood: Callaway Epic 19* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged True Temper XP 105 shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T7 54* and 58*
Putter: Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Heavy
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

I'm looking at upgrading my irons this year and currently the G400s are sitting atop the want list. I just need to go hit them and get fitted to make sure they are what I need.

Good luck-please let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I bought my G400 irons last summer. I tried every demo iron in the store (LH) and chose the Pings over a few other name brands. These irons are not for everyone, nothing is but the Ping line deserves a good look.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

What irons are you using??? That is fairly weak. Most players irons are around 33*-35*. Distance and GI irons will push it to near 30* at times.

What was the loft of that 7 iron ? Mine is 36°.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (13.5) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Good luck-please let us know how it goes!

Most certainly will

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra F8 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 50 Stiff
3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
5 Wood: Callaway Epic 19* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged True Temper XP 105 shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T7 54* and 58*
Putter: Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Heavy
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Really?  Have you tried the I200 or  G400 lines?   The Driver is legit and may be the best release this year....yes I realize the Epic was also released this year.  The G400 irons are stupid easy to hit high and straight, and they look much better than previous models.

The I200 are some of the most played clubs I see in our Wednesday night league.   

I don't think this is really accurate.  Hitting their clubs would change most minds.  G400 is one of the best drivers made. I'm pretty biased, but their products aren't doing anything but getting better.  Not to mention, if you got enough game to bag the iBlade, you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking and better performing players iron.  Everything but their wedges are up there with the best, and they don't do that thing where they slam new products down your throat every other hour.  

Driver:  Ping G LS 9* Aldila Rogue 65 X shaft

Fairway:  Ping G30 15* X

Ping G Crossover 18* X100 Red Dot

Irons:  4-6 i200 7-PW iBlade Red dot x100

Wedges: Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Putter:  Edel or Odyssey 

Ball:  Tour B330

Handicap:  2.4

I don't think this is really accurate. Hitting their clubs would change most minds. G400 is one of the best drivers made. I'm pretty biased, but their products aren't doing anything but getting better. Not to mention, if you got enough game to bag the iBlade, you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking and better performing players iron. Everything but their wedges are up there with the best, and they don't do that thing where they slam new products down your throat every other hour.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with. Seems to me we are both saying Top to Bottom PING is killing it.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I don't think this is really accurate. Hitting their clubs would change most minds. G400 is one of the best drivers made. I'm pretty biased, but their products aren't doing anything but getting better. Not to mention, if you got enough game to bag the iBlade, you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking and better performing players iron. Everything but their wedges are up there with the best, and they don't do that thing where they slam new products down your throat every other hour.

I think that's exactly what he was saying in that post.

And I agree. I've picked up the G400 driver, crossover and 3 wood and couldn't be happier. I have the S55's in my bag as well. PING is sick a steady Eddie company, and this past year has been fantastic for them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Have you noticed having the sand and lob wedge the same set up as the irons affecting the touch shots?  Normally a wedge flex is around S300, correct?

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

Do normal golf shops (edwinn watts, golf galaxy, etc) have the same custom fitting tools or would a trip to a Ping performance center be required?

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Do normal golf shops (edwinn watts, golf galaxy, etc) have the same custom fitting tools or would a trip to a Ping performance center be required?

Will depend on the location. One of the shops near me had a limited set of shafts and heads in the G400 driver line.

The ping website indicates which ships are supposed to have fitting carts but a call to the specific location will give you a better idea of the fitting options they offer. Note that the quality of the fitting will be based on the knowledge and experience of the person doing the fittting.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Most shops have the basic fitting cart with a handful of shafts and usually 35% of the shafts are regular flex, 55% are stiff flex and the remaining 10% are X Flex. 

From my time perusing various golf shops, here's what you can find and price point:

Basic Fitting Cart:

Golf Galaxy or Edwin Watts - Free

Public area of PGA SS - Free

Advanced shaft selection:

Fitting area of PGA SS - $

Golf Courses with Ping affiliation - $

Best selection available to the public:

Club Champion - $$

Cat's meow:

Ping HQ - $$$$

Call your PGA SS and ask for the fitting area. The one here in The Woodlands has a really good selection of shafts for various companies. The majority of the shafts are for TM and Callaway, but there's still a good selection for Cobra and Ping...depending on if the company has updated their adapter. I did a driver fitting for $49 at the SS and went through 14 different club/shaft combos before settling on one I liked. 

• Like 3
  • :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • Toulon Vegas H7 w/ SS Flatso 2.0r
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to a top 100 fitter and he put me in the ie1s (i200s weren't released yet). The face surely doesn't feel as hot as, let's say... the jpx 900 hot metals, but my gapping has been on point. The previous Gs were certainly easier to hit (straight and high) but I chose the more appealing ball flight and sense of control for me. Hope the G400s work out for you!

• Like 3

AppGator

Driver: Callaway FT-9 Aldila NV 65 (9 degrees, Stiff)

Woods: Titleist 910Fd Fairway (17.5 degrees, Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid Alta Shaft (22 degrees, Regular)

Irons: Ping I E1 Regular AWT 2.0 Black Dot, 5 Iron 38.00" 26 degrees, 6 Iron 37.50" 29 degrees, 7 Iron 37.00" 32 degrees, 8 Iron 36.50" 36 degrees, 9 Iron 36.00" 41 degrees, PW     35.50" 45 degrees

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degrees, F, Titleist Vokey SM7 54 degrees, S, Titleist Vokey SM7 58 degrees, D, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54.12 degrees, Cobra Tour Trusty 58.10 degrees

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Blade

Right-handed

Raleigh, NC

15 hcp

The biggest concern with traditional or big box stores is not just if they have all the options for a proper fitting, but do the folks doing the fitting know what they are doing.  I've done fittings at some of these places and about the only information they are using is lie boards and your swing speed.  Having done a few fittings now with some real pros (TXG in Toronto, check out their You Tube channel) there is so very much more to it!

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400LST 8.5* (Set to 7.5*), HZRDS Smoke 6.5, 45 inches

FW: Cobra King LTD, 13.5D*

Hybrid: Titleist 816 19, and 21 Degree, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85s Hybrid

4-GW:  Titleist 718 AP2, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue. S400 Hard stepped

SW: 54* Vokey SM7,14 F-Grind

LW: 58* Vokey SM 7, 08 M-Grind

Putter: Edel

Ball: Pro V1

The biggest concern with traditional or big box stores is not just if they have all the options for a proper fitting, but do the folks doing the fitting know what they are doing. I've done fittings at some of these places and about the only information they are using is lie boards and your swing speed. Having done a few fittings now with some real pros (TXG in Toronto, check out their You Tube channel) there is so very much more to it!

If I were anywhere near Toronto, I'd be at TXG constantly. I can't tell you how much I've learned from their YouTube videos.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag