TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rangefinders

Can someone tell me why?

It seems to me that rangefinders are the only product in existence that does not lose its value, every year companies come out with a new latest and greatest model, yet, the price of the previous years model does not change, or the very least only comes down by a few dollars making it not even worth buying last years model, and just springing for the new model for the extra couple dollars, the problem is that I don't have and don't want to spend $300 plus do get one, and you cannot even find a good used one for less than $250, so it's not even worth the buying used. When I say good, I don't mean condition, I mean that there are many bad ones on the market, I am talking about a good rangefinder. Crazy.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I still use the original Leupold GX1, but basically the answer to your question is the older models work just fine. There's really no need to upgrade once you have one.

For something I've used for 3+ years and still going strong, I'd say the $200 (bought on sale + discount) was well worth it.

Picked up an old bushnell pro 1600 for about 150 bucks (£90) on ebay.

It works great, tried it against new models, they are a bit quicker but not that much better.

But it took me months to win an auction at a price I was happy with.

But your right they do hold their value, much the same as other quality optics like binoculars and non digital SLR's.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Rockbottomgolf.com has some for under $200 that are good. I would recommend signing up for the GolfNow Deal Caddy newsletter. It's GolfNow's version of a daily deal website. Yesterday was the GolfBuddy Gps. The voice one was $99 and the watch was $199 (I know they're not rangefinders but they do have deals on them). I'll post the link so you can sign up/see if the deal is still on:

http://dealcaddy.golfnow.com/m/deal/hartford?activeWhiteLabelMerchantAccessByDomain=true&activeWhiteLabelMerchantId=782&isMobileSiteView=false&localeSiteId=1031

They usually have one tee time deal based on your location and one product deal.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Can someone tell me why?

It seems to me that rangefinders are the only product in existence that does not lose its value, every year companies come out with a new latest and greatest model, yet, the price of the previous years model does not change, or the very least only comes down by a few dollars making it not even worth buying last years model, and just springing for the new model for the extra couple dollars, the problem is that I don't have and don't want to spend $300 plus do get one, and you cannot even find a good used one for less than $250, so it's not even worth the buying used. When I say good, I don't mean condition, I mean that there are many bad ones on the market, I am talking about a good rangefinder. Crazy.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/11272-bushnell-v3-jolt-today05-26-14-only/

This might be helpful if your looking for a good one

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I seldom carry my GPS anymore.  If I'm familiar with the course it's just the Bushnell Pin-Seeker on a daily basis.  The only reason I'd ever buy a new one, is if mine breaks.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

They re just a good investment. The GPS is nice, I like having a range, better is that my friend has his gps and I have my bush ell, front, back middle and pin. Sometimes there's 7 or 8 yards difference between the closest gps number and the actually pin. I suppose it depends on a players ability as to whether or not it matters.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

GPS is really nice for an unfamiliar course, but if it's your home course or one you play regularly, if I had to choose between rangefinder or a GPS, I'd take the rangefinder.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Sometimes there's 7 or 8 yards difference between the closest gps number and the actually pin. I suppose it depends on a players ability as to whether or not it matters.

LOL.....a GPS that reads 8 yards too long would probably help quite a few golfers ;-)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

LOL.....a GPS that reads 8 yards too long would probably help quite a few golfers ;-)

This..

Exactly.   

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

There's plenty of deals out there, you've just gotta jump on them as soon as they pop up.  I missed the newest Nikon (AS with slope I believe is the name of it) that MGS did an article on the other day on eBay brand new that bid late at night and I was outbid at 167.50 (I bid $166.53 with a snipe service).

I also bought the Bushnell V3 Jolt last year when it was released through Golf Discount for $225 new using the MGS code (which Bushnell is now excluded from that promo code).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Too funny BK and too correct.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

at my course, knowing the yardage is very important, we have large long greens, large wide greens, and some small greens, the problem is pin positions, there is also a lot of tiers and slopes on the greens, 5 yards could mean the difference between a birdie chance and double bogey. we have to be able to play to the correct part of the green.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Had been using the Callway RAZR rangefinder based on the reviews here -- thing is freaking awesome!!!  However, just won a LeupoldGX-4i2 with the slope function -- it's also very good with tons more features (slope, club selection, etc), however….

For simply getting quick yardage and ease of targeting, the Callaway seems to do a better job.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Leupold GX-3i2 recently as an upgrade on a Bushnell Medallist that was meant to be a proof of concept and a way to learn my yardages...4 years later and I spent a lot of time trying to justify buying a new one when the one I had worked perfectly well and I still wasn't buying a slope version. It's hard to justify buying a new one when they last so well. Very happy with the decision. I'm bequeathing the Medallist to a friend who is suspicious of the gains you can make using one and knowing he will buy a Leupold when he sees how useful it is.

Make it 10.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Lots of laser info is coming very soon :)

attachicon.gifDSC_0152.jpg

Cool.

I bought a laser on a golf penny site for 80 bucks. I actually sniped it, mostly because everyone thought the auction was over and it kept going. Anyway, had that baby (Bushnell slope) two years, and use it everywhere. GPS is good for unknown courses especially corners and the like but nothing beats being able to say 128 yards to the pin on unknown courses.

There is a big downside to lasers I've noticed and its 's not knowing exactly where the pin is on the green. Unless I've played the course and know every pin position, it does hurt to not be able to see if the pin is tucked or you can land a shot and let it roll. There's nothing like walking up and realizing you played the wrong shot into the location even though you hit the right club.

My local course has finally gone to pin sheets, which combined with lasers is better than GPS units.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived