TESTERS WANTED! ×

FAKE OR NOT - Taylormade SLDR-S

Hi Guys,

Let me start off by saying how much I really love this site. The reviews and the "most wanted" section have been spot on for me and I do appreciate all the work done here.

With that in mind, let me set the scene. I went to a demo day (it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my place). I tried all drivers and irons for this year. The SLDR edged out the Ping G25. I was fit for a 14* head and the shop had none so I went online and seeing as I was fit for a 14, bought an SLDR-S 14* bonded driver. After doing so, and patiently waiting for it to arrive, I started reading about fake clubs online and now I am just beside myself with fear that I bought a Fake. I'm hoping you guys can look at the pictures and tell me what you think. I registered the serial number and got no errors but I guess copiers steal these serial numbers so....help!

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Welcome to the forums!

Others are more astute about this than I. It looks like the real thing to me and I have one. No errors if the dealer that you bought from was reputable and price not unbelievable I'm sure it's fine.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That's the thing, it was an ebay purchase. The guy has 100% feedback but is not on the Taylormade authorized list. All things I realized AFTER I bought it. I took a chance without knowing. The price was lower than advertised on Taylormade's website too.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Welcome!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

There are tons of sellers on ebay that are not authorized but they don't sell fake clubs. If you give us the ebay id of the seller I'm 100% sure that we can tell you to relax or return it.

Lower price than advertised on TM's website - welcome to the wonderful world of TaylorMade :) Just kidding. You never pay the price that's on the companys website. 

If it's not real, it's a Damn good fake!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Welcome aboard!

The club and shaft look real....at least I can't spot any irregularities.  I wouldn't worry about it being a knock-off.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Thank you so much guys!! The guy's ebay id is: sevens_liquidator He has a 100% feedback which helped me in my purchase. I would have bought at the demo day but they had no 14* heads in stock and the price he told me when I was there went up $100 bucks when he called me to tell me how much it would be. I had put my R11 up for sale and it sold right away so I needed a driver quick. I think this is one of the best golf sites and I look forward to helping in any way I can :)

There are tons of sellers on ebay that are not authorized but they don't sell fake clubs. If you give us the ebay id of the seller I'm 100% sure that we can tell you to relax or return it.

Lower price than advertised on TM's website - welcome to the wonderful world of TaylorMade :) Just kidding. You never pay the price that's on the companys website. 

Absolutely this. 

I went for a demo day late this winter, got fit, they would give me a break of like $40 off, blah, de blah blah.  I passed and kept hitting the Global Golf site until there was a mint one that fit what I was fit for - payed $309, its great, I hit it great and I traded some silly old stuff for the driver and had credit left over.  I've subsequently bought two sets of irons with that credit and some extra cash but I'm not satisfied with either - that's not globalgolf's fault.  I also don't believe it's the fault of either set of iron.  This is an Indian issue that is being addressed via lessons.  My pro has suggested yet another set of irons but I want another few weeks for the changes I've made to set in first.

Bottom line is your clubs certainly for real and never pay retail. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It was $269 for the bonded one. I figured since I was fit for it, why adjust it. The flight was better when he had it at 16 but on the spec sheet, he wrote 14 and neutral setting. 2 days after I bought it, he dropped the price to $249. I asked him about it and he didn't reply...debating on his feedback...

Great deal -

I think the nice thing about these adjustable drivers is that if your swing changes a bit or if you were swinging a certain way on the day you were fit you have some wiggle room to adjust.  Also you can adjust for conditions.  Our conditions in Florida change radically about now - right now it's dry and you want to hit those low runners - in a couple of weeks that won't be the case - you'll need to fly it as far as possible - I just set my loft up a bit from neutral for todays range session.

Regarldless you got a great buy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Yeah, technically he had the driver at 16 and said if I can work on hitting on the up swing, I could go to 14. I figured I can adjust my swing and get it right than bother with the driver. I never changed my Rocketballz. Actually, not true. I was hitting it well so I took it down to 9.5 and was slicing the ball where at 10.5 she was flying straight. Can still change the swing weight underneath if I have to

You could always call TM customer service and have them check the serial number on the club.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

You paid the advertised price, he shipped in a reasonable time and it arrived in one piece. That warrants positive feedback. Doesn't matter that he changed the price later, you paid his asking price and he delivered the product. That's positive feedback if I've ever seen it. Leaving him anything but positive feedback is wrong. If you decide to do that, please leave your ebay user name here so I may add you to the blocked bidders list.

As for the issue of not being on the authorized list, I'm betting he is just not under that business name. They have MAP pricing and they can't sell on eBay below MAP either, so the username changes different from their business name and they're good. Easier to move product that way and still turn a profit.

As for being real or fake, hard to tell with the plastic still on it. Serial number check does no good, all that'll tell you is if it's a legit serial, not that the club is legit. Fakes have real serial numbers on them every time because the counterfeiters get them off of legit clubs and copy them

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Yes Rookie you are right. I will leave the right feedback. There is a thing of being honest and he dropped the price within 48 hours of purchase. Most companies will honor the price and refund the difference - we do where I work so that kinda bothered me. As long as the club is NOT fake, I don't really care. The serial number means nothing from what I've read. I didn't want to take the plastic off because if it was a fake, I was going to send it back in the condition I received it. 

Seller looks ok. He's got a list of sales of TM products going back to December 2013. I can't see anything to worry about.

Ebay is not your local store. It's a monster where prices are going up and down all the time. You can get lucky, you can get s***** :)  You got a pretty good price on it. If I wanted to buy one on ebay it would cost $289. That's the cheapest on with international shipping at the moment (buy it now). 

The sellers auctions says nothing about price guarantee and 48 hours. I have to say that American consumers scare me. You are incredibly demanding :) 

Nice item description :D

Happy Shopping: If you are still reading this, you are awesome and we hope you enjoy our listing. Now go buy this item and stop reading so much, your eyes will thank you.   Really?: Seriously, stop reading and buy this. You are beginning to scare us.

Seller looks ok. He's got a list of sales of TM products going back to December 2013. I can't see anything to worry about.

Ebay is not your local store. It's a monster where prices are going up and down all the time. You can get lucky, you can get s***** :)  You got a pretty good price on it. If I wanted to buy one on ebay it would cost $289. That's the cheapest on with international shipping at the moment (buy it now). 

The sellers auctions says nothing about price guarantee and 48 hours. I have to say that American consumers scare me. You are incredibly demanding :)

Nice item description :D

Guessing that the OP is Canadian... 

but you are correct about American consumers..... 

I had this little gem left on my feedback profile this week..  "nice clubs hope they are real. thanks" 

11 years on the bay. 148 feedback, all positive, and this backhanded bs is what I get... 

I really hate people sometimes,

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Mmmmmmmbuddy gets that comment? Really?

Having worked in retail and now as the pastor of a church I fully agree about the issues with our consumers they force excellence. But is that bad?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It doesn't have to be a bad thing. But it can go too far. I've worked in retail. Sporting goods, largest store in the country. Many years ago now. We were first with a 100% satisfied guarantee. You can buy shoes after talking to the seller, trying different brands and sizes, going on the treadmill and mirrorbox and then go home and use them for 14 days. If you don't like them bring them back and we'll give you a new pair. It encourages people to throw away useful things.

Does demanding customers encourage businesses to always perform better? Yes, to some extent. 

We want the lowest prices - a driver costs 30-40% less today than 15 years ago in Norway - and the best service and returns. When do we reach a limit where it's not possible for businesses to make money and sell quality products? Have we reached this limit a long time ago? Children in Bangladesh make our clothes. Children in Vietnam our volleyballs. We don't want them to use child labour but they have to to keep costs down because we want to pay less and return things we don't like.

My best friend growing up - neighbours for 16 years - is also a pastor :) Weirs guys those pastors :D 

I do appreciate the answers and always enjoy your perspective Furu. One of the many things I like about MGS is the number of folks from different countries and places in the world.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Usually the fake will have different sized fonts for the lettering, the color of the paint is just a little off as well, and the head cover is just a bit different. After it arrives take it to one of the local trustworthy golf shops, and they will tell you for sure.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

**UPDATE**

I had a horrible first outing with my new club. I was hooking it (which is something I never do - usually a straight shot or baby fade). I decided to go to the range to see what the problem was. A friend of mine showed up with a SLDR and I showed him mine (he bought a 10.5 and mine is a 14). The head on his SLDR was noticeably bigger than mine. Mine kinda looked like a 430 sized head compared to his.....Not sure what to do. I did figure out my problem and was hitting it like I was at the demo day but still.... 

• 1 month later...

Did you  ever determine if this club was authentic? I did the same thing bought on impulse then did research. I ordered from the same seller.Please let me know mine will not be here until Friday the 18th. I may just send it back.

It was $269 for the bonded one. I figured since I was fit for it, why adjust it. The flight was better when he had it at 16 but on the spec sheet, he wrote 14 and neutral setting. 2 days after I bought it, he dropped the price to $249. I asked him about it and he didn't reply...debating on his feedback...

Dude, that price drop is just supply and demand. 3 months from now they'll be $199

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

If you are concerned with its authenticity, I would start by calling the Taylormade Customer Service Department and reading them the serial number on the club. People have gotten really good at counterfeiting clubs these days and the only way to protect yourself on eBay is to look at the sellers rating, past reviews for similar products that they have sold.

I had a similar situation recently with a Taylormade SLDR driver. A seller on eBay was listing it for $250, $150 below msrp. I am a firm believer in the old adage "if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is". So I began to big into the sellers feedback rating and look at specific reviews for other SLDR customers. The seller had a 99% seller rating, but I did not find any other SLDR sales that were commented on. So I began to look at other items for sale and reviews for those items. Most notably other name brand drivers sales that had been reviewed. In this regard, I found nothing but positive reviews. The last thing that I checked was the sellers return policy. He listed a 14 day return policy, which made me feel more comfortable. Even if a buyer does not offer a return policy, eBay always protects the buyer in cases of counterfeit products. I have always liked this about eBay. So I purchased the driver. When it arrived in the mail, I called Taylormade and they were able to confirm the serial number right away.

I had another situation with a Scotty Cameron putter that turned out to be counterfeit. I identified the counterfeit as soon as I began to pull it out of the box. So I contacted the seller for a return and refund. After receiving no response from the seller about the return. I promptly opened an eBay Buyer Protection Case and they were able to get my money back within a week. 

post-54443-0-07055700-1406684950.jpg

If you are concerned with its authenticity, I would start by calling the Taylormade Customer Service Department and reading them the serial number on the club. People have gotten really good at counterfeiting clubs these days and the only way to protect yourself on eBay is to look at the sellers rating, past reviews for similar products that they have sold.

I had a similar situation recently with a Taylormade SLDR driver. A seller on eBay was listing it for $250, $150 below msrp. I am a firm believer in the old adage "if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is". So I began to big into the sellers feedback rating and look at specific reviews for other SLDR customers. The seller had a 99% seller rating, but I did not find any other SLDR sales that were commented on. So I began to look at other items for sale and reviews for those items. Most notably other name brand drivers sales that had been reviewed. In this regard, I found nothing but positive reviews. The last thing that I checked was the sellers return policy. He listed a 14 day return policy, which made me feel more comfortable. Even if a buyer does not offer a return policy, eBay always protects the buyer in cases of counterfeit products. I have always liked this about eBay. So I purchased the driver. When it arrived in the mail, I called Taylormade and they were able to confirm the serial number right away.

I had another situation with a Scotty Cameron putter that turned out to be counterfeit. I identified the counterfeit as soon as I began to pull it out of the box. So I contacted the seller for a return and refund. After receiving no response from the seller about the return. I promptly opened an eBay Buyer Protection Case and they were able to get my money back within a week. 

Ace of Clubs is spot on......check the serial number with the mfg....usually, this can be done by going to the mfg website and registering the club....I have done so several times with Nike, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra & Mizuno.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The size of the head might look different because the loft is different.  I would check it with another 14 degree SLDRs

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Did any of you watch the show "in play" on Monday? The golf channel had a special about counterfeit clubs. At 1 point, the guy from Titleist had to cut it in 2 to tell them apart  :o I had thought about calling them with the serial number but if they copied it off an authentic club, how would they be able to tell? Anyways, performance wise everything had started going to the right and I mean BALLLOOON SLICES so I sold it and bought an R1 from a certified seller on ebay. Much better results. And to think, I bought the SLDR-S so that I could save money and in the long run, I could have bought an original from Golfsmith or TGW for the same price I payed the R1 and SLDR-S. Lesson learned. 

Did I ever find out it's fake, technically NO but deep down I believe it really was.

Serial number checks do you absolutely zero good. It's pointless to do and most, and I know TMag has told me before, will tell you that they'll tell you if the serial is in the system but that means nothing. Why? Because counterfeiters are getting real serials off of real clubs and using them. Don't waste your time with that because it's a worthless check.

As for the appearance if a size difference, it's going to look different because of the loft and the face being slightly taller as the loft goes up. The face angle is different as well. Only way to measure true head volume is a displacement test, meaning fill a bucket of water and submerge the head and see how many cc's of water it displaces.

Post some more pics with the plastic off, the tell takes are easy to spot in good clear pics with the plastic off. Take a face pic, one of the sole, one of the serial, one of the crown and graphics on the crown as well as toe and heel shots. There are easy to spot tells.

Just saw you sold it. If you suspected it was fake, why would you pass it on in the marketplace? Should've sent it to TMag and had them inspect it. From the 1 pic you did post, there are no tells. Sole graphics were spot on (they always miss on the badges) and the colors were dead on the money (again, something they get wrong every time by a slight shade difference). Now you're on the hook if your suspicions are correct and the person you sold it to sends it and finds out it's fake (I don't believe it is btw).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived