Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Carrying 2 Putters?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

With all the offers in the putter market. Blade, mid-mallet, high MOI, extreme high MOI.

Do you think we might start to see more pro golfers carrying 2 putters in the bag during a round? One for short putts one for regular putts?

Interesting idea I think.

#TruthDigest

I'll never say never to anything and we have seen two drivers in a pro's bag before. It is an interesting concept...wonder who the first pro to do this would be?

Phil might ... cuz he's PHIL :o

I've done that before, in college tournaments in fact. Drove my coach crazy, but back then we really didn't use 3 wedges. I had an 8802 I just didn't miss inside of 5 feet with and had a Ram Zebra I used to make quite a few long putts with. Worked pretty well, but once the long putts stopped going in with the Zebra I junked the idea.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I will sometimes bring both of my putters to the course to see how the greens are rolling before a round. If they're fast, I bring a center shafted Heavy Putter A1-M. If they're slow a center shafted Cameron RedX2. I feel confident using either or but if I have the time to kill I might as well putt with what feels right that day.

As far as the pros go, I have a feeling that would never happen. Some guys have been using the same putter for ages.

With all the offers in the putter market. Blade, mid-mallet, high MOI, extreme high MOI.

Do you think we might start to see more pro golfers carrying 2 putters in the bag during a round? One for short putts one for regular putts?

Interesting idea I think.

It does make sense. If you consider an average putting round is 32 putts, that is a huge percentage of your shots. I tried a belly putter for a few weeks last year, and I loved it from 10 feet and in. But just couldn't get past the lag putts, so I went back to my cameron. No doubt if i carried both, I would use them probably more than any other club in my bag. Even more than driver. Certainly more valuable than my gap wedge or even something like a 5 iron.

I just wish the USGA would extend the club limit to 15 or 16 clubs. Would be good for the industry.

• SPY VIP

I agree 100%.

It does make sense. If you consider an average putting round is 32 putts, that is a huge percentage of your shots. I tried a belly putter for a few weeks last year, and I loved it from 10 feet and in. But just couldn't get past the lag putts, so I went back to my cameron. No doubt if i carried both, I would use them probably more than any other club in my bag. Even more than driver. Certainly more valuable than my gap wedge or even something like a 5 iron.

I just wish the USGA would extend the club limit to 15 or 16 clubs. Would be good for the industry.

#TruthDigest

This really isn't a new concept nd it has been instituted in the past for decades. Ususally it for long putts and short putts. I cannot reacll any names at the moment, but variations of this could be someone like Notah Begay who puts from both sides. It may be with the same butter, but it could be argued he has a right handed and left handed model.

I'd love to just get rid of my "dammit hammer". Period.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've done it a few time. I own a few belly putters, love them inside say 15 feet. Can't lag putt with them to save myself. So I'd carry a standard length putter for the long lag putts' Basically anything over 20 feet.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

• SPY VIP

Phil might ... cuz he's PHIL :lol:

Doesn't Phil sometimes switch from the #9 to the 8802 from day to day in the same event? If I am remembering this correctly, it is not a big jump to packing two.

If Sergio decides it would be better if he doesn't carry a putter then Phil can have his.

btw, why did sergio drop the Del Mar 3.5? I assume it was part of the TM deal...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I always carry two putters in the event I run into sanded greens.

No way am I scratching up my Scotty. :unsure:

The private club I belong to has bent greens and it seems like sand comes for weeks after they are punched and they punch them several times a year.

Semper Fi

My Club

I think you would have to practice quite a bit with both putters in order to ensure it wouldn't seriously mess with your stroke. And I'd definitely steer clear of mixing putters with drastically different designs - like toe balanced vs. face balanced.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived