Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wedge shafts

I've always been of the opinion that flex on a high lofted wedge is not so important. Any thoughts, opinions and your rationale would be appreciated.

I'm in the process of moving from seal to graphite in my wedges and that's the reason for the question.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's probably not that important.  Wedges have higher loft and higher spin loft, so the ball's spin axis cannot tilt as much.  However, we do know that for every 1 cm of forward shaft deflection, that will close the face angle by about 0.7 degrees and add about 0.7 degrees of loft (credit Dr. Sasho MacKenzie).

Depends on what you're looking for.  Most golfers are looking for a more penetrating flight and therefore I believe the weight *after* the shaft has been trimmed is key.  Most wedge shafts I've seen weigh around 108 grams *after* trimming.  That means a higher % of the club's mass is in the head which means higher launch and higher spin.  So if you want a more penetrating flight, you'll probably need a heavy shaft with more of the weight towards the tip section of the shaft.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I don't pay too much attention to wedge flex personally but like WD said, pros usually go with a softer flex. I would imagine that it depends on how you use a high lofted wedge, of course you use it for partial shots but if you use it more on full swing shots then your normal shaft might be good. 

Like Whiskey said it will mostly depend on the type of shots you play with the wedge. I tend to use my wedges on full shots as well as the partial so I decided to soft-step a higher flex in the shaft I was playing to get a similar feel but added spin

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If most of your shots will be full shots, play the same flex and shaft as your irons. If you're looking for spin help around the greens for pitches and chips, then is when you'll want to start experimenting with shafts.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If most of your shots will be full shots, play the same flex and shaft as your irons. If you're looking for spin help around the greens for pitches and chips, then is when you'll want to start experimenting with shafts.

That is the philosophy that I have used for years and it works for me.  I have the same shaft flex in my 4-PW and then play softer shafts in my 53*, 56* and 60* since I tend to hit less full shots with these clubs.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Thanks guys - as rookie knows wedges are huge for me. I will hit me 55 from 85 to 60 very confidently and use it around the green for all sorts of stuff. Likewise the 60. I recently picked up a SCOR 53 in graphite which stretches that bad boy to 90 to 65. I'm going to need a 58 and would like more spin.

The SCOR head is heavy Ritchie I always like when you weigh in on things. Yes I did intend the pun.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived