Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Let me try again! Newport 2, Help!

bbrookman

Let me try again! This is a Newport 2, Long Neck, TEI3, Pro Platinum. I think it is a generation 2 because of the elastomer showing around the insert. The thing is that it also has the 2 lines around the TEI3 on the face. The word is that when Scotty saw these putters coming off the line he thought the face looked to busy so he changed the design. The custom shop said that this was correct. The putter has been authenticated and given the "A" rating. I have been looking for one like this for a couple months and have never seen one. Can anybody help me out with info or photos of another one like it? Thanks!

B2 

Newport 2 1.JPG

Newport 2 2.JPG

Newport 2 3.JPG

Found one with plenty of pics at eBay.co.uk

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The custom shop won't refinish it because it's been refinished before and they will say the topline is too thin.

As for dating it, early 1999 second gen. There was a gen x that had 1 ring as well and was in production less than 2 days, so few are out there.

As for how I know it's been refinished and was refinished at the custom shop? When they did a pro platinum refinish, they did insert and all and that was the only option(couldn't get pro plat body with a copper insert) and the only way to get a pro platinum insert. There was no other option for a pro platinum insert. The only different insert was on a special run that wasn't tei3's but rather were Sterling and stainless putters (Sterling silver insert). As for the pro platinum insert tei3. It's clickier than a Teryllium (see copper) insert by a noticeable margin.

But yeah, they won't touch that with a ten foot pole to refinish it. You could get it refinished elsewhere, but not at the custom shop. Which would cost you the a certification as well.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

According to Scotty Cameron this putter has never been refinished?

That putter has been refinished.  They never offered a pro platinum TeI3 new and the only way to get one is to send it in for a refinish.  What's the COA#?  And how old is the COA? The only prototypes they made in pro platinum had the coper insert.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Copy the following and paste it in your browser.......it should pull up the eBay UK listing.

Titleist Scotty Cameron Xperimental Prototype Newport Two LN TE13 1998

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you will get an "A" COA on a refinished putter if the putter is done by Cameron?

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I think you are correct about the refinish issue. However, Scotty says that they did make some of these in Pro Platinum but they were made for the tour. Most of the pro platinum versions were sent to the European tour because the black oxide finish did not hold up well in the wet conditions. I told Scotty that it had no tour markings and they said that there would not have been at that time. It has been a blast researching this thing. I'm still looking for a match. I'll keep the search alive. Thanks again.

B2

Yep, the prototypes that were sent to the euro tour still had the copper insert too unless they were refinished prior to being issued. And they did have tour markings at that time, they did a tour dot on the heel and some were stamped with the word Tour. I've had both dot and tour Tei3's.

The putter will still get an a rating even if it's been refinished as long as Cameron did the refinish. And they didn't require custom shop stamps for a long time on refinishes.

In The Bag

Here's a long slant tei3 prototype that if it had face pics would have the copper insert

http://www.scottycameron.com/archive/putters/1998/limited_edition_1998.aspx

In The Bag

Here is the tour version of this putter (in a Newport of course). They call them SCADO pro platinum plus. It has a tour site dot on the heel.

https://www.tablerock.com/store/itemDetail.cfm?productID=1076

Another reason I say yours has been refinished is because it had no mill chatter anywhere and virtually every original one I've seen off the tour van (with or without the tour for or tour stamping) has mill chatter on the neck and in the cavity. Some also have a little on the insert and on the sole.

Here's another example that doesn't have tour stampings anywhere but does have mill chatter.

http://www.scottycameron.com/authentication/registry/Details.aspx?rn=A017137

You may get lucky and have one that had no chatter left on it, just depends on how the folks at the custom shop feel that day (and if you've sent them anything before), but I'm betting on an A certification and them saying it's an original tei3 that's been refinished. Most of the ones on the van were new ones they simply pulled apart and redid in pro platinum. The ones that were made that way retained copper inserts.

In The Bag

I hope you do get one that says it's tour, honestly, because you might have a gold mine or at least a $500-600 putter. If they say it's an OTR that was refinished in pro plat it's still a nice putter to have cause they're still less common, especially in longnecks. If it's not tour I'd refinish it personally. Go ahead and pay for it and game the heck out of it. One of his few face balanced designs.

In The Bag

Man this is great stuff! OK I'm still trying to stump you, respectfully of course. Have you ever seen markings on the face like this? Obviously generation 2 because of the elastomer around the insert, but it also has the 2 lines around the tei3 and the crown on the toe. I am still trying to find one like this. Help me out with that. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out on this.

B2

Yes I've seen them, have refinished a few. They were early production run TeI3's. More rare is a single border around the TeI3 on the face because they were only in production for 2 days.

image.jpg

In The Bag

Again, the difference is that this is a generation 1 putter and mine is a version 2. Mine has the elastomer showing around the insert. It is no the same putter that the photo you posted. I am still looking to find the exact putter. Thanks again for the effort.

Archived