TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which Golf Ball Do I Use?

fozcycle

Life is about having choices, there should be no exception when it comes to golf balls. We understand that finding the correct golf ball for you is tough unless you drop a couple down on the fairway and actually play with them. Not sure you know which ball to choose? Problem solved! All 4 different golf balls here are paired together because they are all manufactured for the same type of swing speed. Give them a try and when you have found the proper one you'll know!

Sample #1:

Sample #2:

Sample #3:

If you are not sure about which new golf ball you should use, try a Sampler Pack from LostGolfBalls.com

Prices range from $16 to $30

http://www.lostgolfballs.com/category-s/424.htm?utm_campaign=MAY-2014&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=13231009

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Titleist would beg to differ - they firmly believe that the best ball choice for any player would be either the Pro VI or the Pro VIx.

Of course its not surprising that they would pick their premium priced product. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A friend of mine recently purchased 5 dozen Z Stars for $50......so I got 2 Dozen from him.

They are refurbished, but none of them have any marks on them.....just like new.

Will be trying them out soon.

I still have 1 sleeve of the Bridgestone B330RXS that I am saving....to use this summer. Love the ball, not the price.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I also have 3 doz U3's waiting to be hit.

The Prov1x has been my choice for many seasons now but the only other ball that I really like was the Taylormade Lethal. I found it to be the closest for me in terms of performance to the Prov1x

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I've played Srixon for years but have found KickX balls to be fantastic! Very long... and soft feeling as well. I have five dozen of them.https://www.golfshopcentral.ca/p-180-kick-x-tourz-premium-balls.aspx . I haven't tried them but quite a few friends of mine are really enjoying the 3UP ball.http://3upgolf.com/ and some other friends swear by the Oncore golf ball http://oncoregolf.com/index.htm and there is a new ball coming out first week of July http://www.mynegm.com/golf/whats-news/launching-july-monstagolf/ and the owners are great people. I am kind of moving away from the big names and supporting the smaller people that do not have the big ad budgets but produce very high quality balls.

If you are on FB there are contests weekly for all of them, a nice way to try them out if you win.

I just bought 200 Pentas AAA quality lakeballs. They were on sale for 80 cents each LOL

Then first them I used them... won longest drive 320 yards approx. That's gotta be a good sign, right? Right guys??? Guys?????? :)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I had an interesting experience on the course Tuesday in this regard.

I have long been an advocate of tour balls for all because of the short game benefits. The 100 mph thing or 110 mph thing doesn't hold any weight for me because what type of balls do LPGA players use and very few of them swing at that speed. I think it's hype and hooey and it has never squared with what I've found when I've tried a wide variety of balls on the course. Two piece balls go farther but spin way less around the green. The mid priced balls go the same distance as the pro level balls and spin less around the green so for me there is no value there what so ever.

As a reminder I tried just for kicks the other day. A couple of rounds ago I found someone's soft feel ball doesn't really matter what brand, they are all the same. My front nine for league counted so I played my regular ball but I didn't get there early enough to get into the 18 hole game that I usually play in. I hit the cart path with my ball on 15 so I figured what the heck and put the soft feel longer ball into play the last 3 holes. It felt hard off the driver and went pretty well and ridiculously soft around the green but it didn't spin. I bogeyed two of the last three holes in large part because a chip and a pitch that I hit didn't spin. The chip was basic and I hit it right where I wanted and you would have thought that the green was made out of concrete. The pitch was a thing of beauty. When I hit it I thought, that could go in. It gave the hole a look and went 15 feet past.

My advice to anyone is to figure out where you hit your most shots and start there. Of course you will find that you hit your most shots on or around the green. So forget any and all hype and find the ball type that works for you inside 50 yards then go hit some long shots with it to be sure it's okay for those, it will be unless you are going to compare it to a two piecers that can't perform consistently around the green

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The 100 mph thing or 110 mph thing doesn't hold any weight for me because what type of balls do LPGA players use and very few of them swing at that speed. I think it's hype and hooey and it has never squared with what I've found when I've tried a wide variety of balls on the course. 

I agree completely. I think the swing speed thing is a bunch of bunk. Yea, a hard, 2 pc. ball will go farther.... so what? if it isn't somewhat controllable around the green, the extra distance isn't really worth anything.

• SPY VIP

I've played at least 6 different brands this season

New Tmags really good. Apparently the old Titleist ball designer is there now. They claim Project(a) is the ProV1 and I'm not going to argue that claim. The Project(a) is damn near close.

Nike balls are softer this year and very good

Wilson FG Tour's are every bit as the big boys and usually cheaper.

As for 3up balls run away, run far, far away... The best way to describe them is they play heavy. Putting is like slapping a wet towel. Maybe as a $15 a dozen ball they'd be worth it.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

What Fozzy no Srixons? I prefer the Pro V 1s myself or the Srixon Z Star. The only Issue I ever had with the Srixon was a durability issue with the cover peeling on short iron shots and yes my clubs are legal. I did like the old TM TP Reds though. If I am playing my vintage stuff I play the Wilson Staff Duo or 50 ball but the Staffs dont putt like a Titleist for me

I do experiment from time to time if I find a ball and I am playing a practice round. The Cally tour ball hits good off the driver for me about 5 or 6 yards further but they dont react around the green like I want them to. Bridgestone and Nike just dont feel right to me period. If I find one I save it and give it to my pastor he is a big Bridgestone fan

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I agree completely. I think the swing speed thing is a bunch of bunk. Yea, a hard, 2 pc. ball will go farther.... so what? if it isn't somewhat controllable around the green, the extra distance isn't really worth anything.

I don't even think they are controllable anywhere on the course. Sometimes you get flyers on them with the irons from the fairway.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I hear you. I've played the same ball for about 3 straight years the bridgestone 330-RX and sometimes the 300 RX-S. I've just loved the way I play with them. Big thing for me was putting with different balls, you can feel the difference. For me it's probably more of a mental thing, but would switch if I saw results that said one was definitely better.

IS there such a thing as a non-brand specific ball fitting?

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

IS there such a thing as a non-brand specific ball fitting?

Golf galaxy offers a ball fitting that let's you hit all the brands so you find which is the better fit for you.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Titleist for me. ProV1x, or NXT. I haven't found a ball that comes close. Long off the tee and spins just enough on the green.

There's nothing worse than striking a chip pure and watching it stop when it was supposed to roll out. Or landing a full iron shot next to the pin and watching it spin back 25 feet.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Titleist for me. ProV1x, or NXT. I haven't found a ball that comes close. Long off the tee and spins just enough on the green.

There's nothing worse than striking a chip pure and watching it stop when it was supposed to roll out. Or landing a full iron shot next to the pin and watching it spin back 25 feet.

Boy, no joke. I usually end up short when I plan on roll out. Although I'm better at controlling spin on chips now than I used to. I used to just fly everything close to the pin because I knew it wasn't going to roll.

I got the spin under control with a shaft change on approach shots. I would get so frustrated when I hit a good shot in close and get up there to find I sucked it back to the front of the green or even off. Now, I almost always find my ball within two feet of the pitch mark. But that wasn't a ball change fix, just shafts.

What Fozzy no Srixons? I prefer the Pro V 1s myself or the Srixon Z Star. The only Issue I ever had with the Srixon was a durability issue with the cover peeling on short iron shots and yes my clubs are legal. I did like the old TM TP Reds though. If I am playing my vintage stuff I play the Wilson Staff Duo or 50 ball but the Staffs dont putt like a Titleist for meI do experiment from time to time if I find a ball and I am playing a practice round. The Cally tour ball hits good off the driver for me about 5 or 6 yards further but they dont react around the green like I want them to. Bridgestone and Nike just dont feel right to me period. If I find one I save it and give it to my pastor he is a big Bridgestone fan

A friend of mine bought 5 dozen Srixon Z Stars (refurbished) by accident on eBay. He paid $50 plus $6 shipping. I bought 2 dozen from him for $25. Everyone is pristine, marked number 2. I am getting ready to use them....probably this week, when Rev stops by for a round on Wednesday. I played the Australian Vision WB3 today and lost out on several great chips that landed soft but rolled out way past the hole. I know the Z Star wouldn't do that.

GolfSpy MBP: You are the only person I've heard say that about the 3up ball. My friends that are playing it are all single or + cap players and they love them. To each their own I guess.

Mav, have you played these balls or just people you know? Did those people receive free items to say good things? While I don't know a bunch of scratch and + handicaps, I do know one plus (who is a NCAA D1 player) and a few single digits, including myself, that have tried the 3up. Not one of those people had a single good thing to say about the 3up ball. As for my experience, I gave one a chance over three holes. I have a 118mph driver swing speed, so maybe I'm not who they're trying to sell to, but I'm pretty sure I could get less compression from a foam ball. You know those exploding powder balls? They feel more solid than a 3up. I was given a few and after the three hole trial, they were drowned in a lake, so nobody else had to suffer through playing them. There are much better options in that pay range.

As for GOOD balls, the TMag Tour Preferred X and Callaway Chrome + take the cake for higher swing speed players. Those are the only balls that perform up to my standards.

No I haven't tried them but the people I do know and are my friends purchased them and did like them and a couple of them are x D1 players that were on the old Canadian Tour. No reason for them to tell me a story.I guess for you and your friend MBP they are not for you. Perhaps you two should complain to Rob the owner of 3up, I'm certain he would be more interested than I am.

I was just giving honest feed back from someone who has tried the ball. Maybe those guys have 80mph swings and maybe the person who started this thread does as well, but for my SS, they were mush. I don't know "Rob", so I don't think he would care if I told him that ball was horrible for my game.

MBP, it felt like it was dead from the first swing, but I still gave it a chance.

I am officially changing brands to the golf ball that is MADE IN AMERICA. That is something I can and we all should get behind.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I am officially changing brands to the golf ball that is MADE IN AMERICA. That is something I can and we all should get behind.

So you are switching to the Bridgestone e6 that comes with an american Flag Logo on it, because they are now Made in America?

So you are switching to the Bridgestone e6 that comes with an american Flag Logo on it, because they are now Made in America?

I'm playing the B330's for that reason, though take that away and I'd  be playing Project (a)'s.  I love that ball, but until TMaG manufactures that here, I'll buy the BStones

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Really impressed with the TM Tour Preffered ball.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Life is about having choices, there should be no exception when it comes to golf balls. We understand that finding the correct golf ball for you is tough unless you drop a couple down on the fairway and actually play with them. Not sure you know which ball to choose? Problem solved! All 4 different golf balls here are paired together because they are all manufactured for the same type of swing speed. Give them a try and when you have found the proper one you'll know!

Sample #1:

Sample #2:

Sample #3:

If you are not sure about which new golf ball you should use, try a Sampler Pack from LostGolfBalls.com

Prices range from $16 to $30

http://www.lostgolfballs.com/category-s/424.htm?utm_campaign=MAY-2014&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=13231009

what I would like to know is what do you think of the Sampler Combos that Lostgolfballs.com put together?

Archived