TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nike golf equipment sucks and look like Bozo picked the color.

RoverRick

I have never been a Nike Golf fan.  They spent big bucks on Tiger, Michelle, Rory and others, but their equipment sucked.  Except the ball.  Of course the equipment I am talking about was the Ignite Driver and NDX irons or something like that.  That was the newest Nike equipment I have hit.

When the Covert came out, it was red.  Red.  I thought it was a serious golf club but it was red.  And it was Nike.  I never gave it a thought.  Of course Cobra has 31 different flavors of drivers, I think, but I am a serious golfer so I don't pay attention to those colors designed by Bozo The Clown.

Over the last few months, I have had the opportunity to hit Big Bertha Alpha, SLDR (3 different ones), G25,

Now, I know that the Big Bertha Alpha is blue, but I thought it was one of the most beautiful drivers I have seen.  Perfect head shape.  Just looked nice.  However, it did not significantly out perform my Titleist 910D3.  Certainly not $500 worth.

The SLDR despite the hype, has never done much for me.  It might be a few more yards but not $400 more yards.  I will say that I have a friend that got one this weekend, and he was much longer and more consistent than he has ever been.

The Covert, I did not even hit it the first day.  I could not care less about it.  It was Nike. It was red. I don't care.  And then later on, the guy said he was selling the Nike because it did not thing for him.  He has such swing flaws that it is no surprise.  So another guy said he would buy it.  And then he wanted me to hit it.  Ok, I hit it.

OMG!  Of all the hype about the huge gains by the Alpha and SLDR that did not pan out, I hit this 20 yards farther, but just hit it that once.  Fast Forward, and the guy that bought it, never played a round with it.  He also had a new SLDR and decided to go with it.  It was for sale again, less than $100.

He had it Saturday, so I hit it along side my regular driver.  Way better performance.  So I bought it.  In spite of the color.  Obviously, I have been wrong about Nike.

So then I found myself standing on the tee box yesterday on the 35th and final hole I would use my new kick butt red driver.  We were backed up and decided to play the last two holes as an 8 some since we were playing 4 on 4.  I was looking at all the different colors.  Black, white, gray, dark conservative blue, and looked at my Covert Red and Joe's Electric Blue Cobra, and the other ones looked DULL!

What a difference a few yards make?  Haha.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Other than the forged irons, I've never really given Nike clubs a try either.

What shaft is in your new red sports car?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

And that's the thing, it's all different strokes for different folks. I tried the Covert and Covert II and found both to be good drivers on their own right but I hit the SLDR past them. The 430 just flat out works for me

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm not a big fan of Nike, I tried their woods but not the irons or wedges. To me, their putters are alright but that's mainly because their headshapes don't appeal to me that much, except the Mod 90. I didn't like the hybrids or fairway woods, only the driver. Their driver is one of the only ones that I'm able to hit well everytime I go to a golf shop. 

Also, if you're still not a fan of the red, they do have the black Covert 2.0. 

I gamed the covert for a year, then found that the Bio Cell driver sailed past it and stayed in the fairway.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Also, if you're still not a fan of the red, they do have the black Covert 2.0. 

That is the weirdest thing.  On Saturday I accepted the red.  But by Sunday afternoon I not only liked the red, but also any other color.  I thought they looked cool.  Next thing ya know I'll be wearing a flat bill cap.  Ahhh No.

That is the weirdest thing.  On Saturday I accepted the red.  But by Sunday afternoon I not only liked the red, but also any other color.  I thought they looked cool.  Next thing ya know I'll be wearing a flat bill cap.  Ahhh No.

Don't get too carried away with that.

I have to admit the covert 2.0 tour version with the xflex kuro cage really did surprise me. Its surprisingly light as well. Funnily enough according to what I felt and the various companies fitters that were there helping me out I hit it and the big bertha alpha really well despite there huge weight difference in the head

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Best of both worlds.......

Covert1.JPG

Glad you like the new boom stick.  Interesting enough I could not hit the SLDR, might have been the stock shaft.  That thing was the ultimate HOOK MACHINE.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

The Golf Warehouse has a free Covert 2 driver with the purchase of Nike Blades, pretty sweet deal.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Nike Covert was awesome.  The Kuro Kage was not.  This is my second Kuro Kage.  I have the first in a 2002 Titleist 980F.  This is one of my favorite clubs, and I love the shaft in it, SOMETIMES.  I experience the same thing with the Covert Driver.  The absolute most perfect shot.  High beautiful ball flight.4 out of 5 times.  The longest I have hit that club.  The covert was the longest I have hit a ball in 10 years.

However, I must be right on the edge of the shaft limits.  That 5th time out of 5 is bad.  Stroke costing bad.  Enough so that I do not have that FM in the bag anymore.  The Covert was great on Sunday, but on Tuesday I was playing a practice round so I was seeing more what the club could do.  I lost 4 balls in 6 holes.

I had no real control over the club head and was just as likely to hit it way left as way right.

I'm getting ready to sell my black matte Covert 2.  I love the way it looks,  but the SLDR was just longer for me.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

All OEMs make perfectly good clubs it's finding the right one for you really. Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Next thing ya know I'll be wearing a flat bill cap.  Ahhh No.

I am going to glue a flatbill hat to your skull joe dirt style the next time I see you. 

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Pics of you in flat bill cap please :)

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

Pics of you in flat bill cap please :)

+1

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I tried the Covert... didn't like the weight and feel of it. I clock 3 mph lower swing speed compared to Bio Cell... 

I also hated the Covert grip, feels as if the club would fly out of my hands post impact. Maybe that's one factor affecting it's performance.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Archived