TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Under Armour Rumor (YOUR OPINIONS)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

We have our opinions but we want to hear yours.  

So, just a simple graphic to inspire your response on when you think Under Armour will jump in the failing golf equipment pond.  Whether you think they would be good for golf.  What you think their equipment would look like.  Who would they buy out to get in the game.  And more...

Let's hear what our fellow spy members think!

ua-iron-1.jpg

#TruthDigest

When?  mid to late 2015, and I'm not sure they buy someone, but whatever way it goes, it'll be a full court press over 3 years to establish a base and build a self sustaining business.  UA just doesn't enter markets halfway.

That said, I actually thought it would be this year until they bought MapMyFitness earlier this year.  That purchase tells me that they may defer the full press into the golf marketplace and instead go hard after the fitness wearables marketplace instead (and keep in mind, I am 100% convinced that they've been preparing clothing that contains wearable techs rather than devices independent of clothing).

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I'm actually surprised that they are not the apparel division of an overall larger conglomerate already.  Under Armor makes some awesome stuff.  Over the 7-8 years they've gone from - Under Armor?, to Under Armor!  What if they teamed up with Titleist?

I don't think UA's business model is suited to being anyones partner, subordinate.  UA is a fascinating company on many levels, but at the most fundamental, they operate more like the athletes they market to and with than they do a traditional company.  When they enter a market segment seriously, they want to win, and they will fight and scrap until they win in a market.  They may 'test the waters' in market segments before getting serious, which is what I view their current golf line as, testing the waters and building channel partnerships.  

Culturally, they seem to view Nike and Adidas as their primary competitors, and so they are slowly entering markets where those two already are.  As we all know, Adidas has TaylorMade, and Nike is making the big Nike Golf push.  At some point, UA *is* going to get after the golf market, but I can see a business case where they might want to put that segment off and focus on the technology/wearable segment that they are also dabbling in (and have hinted at some concepts in their marketing). 

Either way, when they go, it'll be a big budget marketing push, and it will be hard and fast.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I always imagine random company logos on golf clubs since I think they would look good regardless of whether they're in the industry or not. One company that I can picture is Oakley, the "O" on the back of a blade would be really cool.

As far as UA actually producing clubs, I can't really see it. Like others mentioned, they'll probably keep up with apparel and wearable technology.

Why not?  Nike pulled it off,  I would be open to it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Since they make virtually no sports equipment at present, only apparel and shoes, they will make no clubs unless they buy someone. Expect shoes next year though.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Doubt it will ever happen.  Golf SHOES I'd expect at any time though.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Willing to try them, they need a name to start with though, both tour and design wise.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Since they make virtually no sports equipment at present, only apparel and shoes, they will make no clubs unless they buy someone. Expect shoes next year though.

Actually they do make equipment, baseball catchers gear, football pads, helmets for a variety of sports, etc.

Them jumping in the golf equipment industry would be foolish, IMO, though. They'd need to jump on head first and grab a big share of the market. They don't have the money to make a huge push like TM/Adidas or Nike. They don't have a brand loyalty like Titleist/Fila/Footjoy or Callaway or Ping. They'd be along the lines of a Cobra, have a smaller cult like following and not market to the masses.

I just don't see the benefit for them. Why invest all that money in hard goods that most replace at best bi-annually when you're selling spandex to adults at a likely 500-600% mark up multiple pieces at a time. The same margins aren't there for equipment. Sure they could buy a few open designs like Scratch did and stamp their logo on them, but why? There's still not a ton of revenue there for them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Agree with the main thoughts here. I can't see them jumping in right away. Sure they are a big name, but doubt that translates to golf. Think by the time someone gets enough money or enough interest in buying new stuff, they're going to go with the best product or best name brand. Since UA is the new brand, I can't see many flocking to them right away.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I think that it would have to be a team up venture, ie. Cobra/Puma, TM/Adidas. Wilson comes to mind, or Cleveland, both have a name in the golf industry. i am no business person by any means, but if it were to happen, it would be bad for golf. prices for clubs and clothing are ridiculously too high already without adding the way overpriced UA people to the mix.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

If they're going to partner with an existing OEM, Callaway would make the most sense.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Actually they do make equipment, baseball catchers gear, football pads, helmets for a variety of sports, etc.

Them jumping in the golf equipment industry would be foolish, IMO, though. They'd need to jump on head first and grab a big share of the market. They don't have the money to make a huge push like TM/Adidas or Nike. They don't have a brand loyalty like Titleist/Fila/Footjoy or Callaway or Ping. They'd be along the lines of a Cobra, have a smaller cult like following and not market to the masses.

I just don't see the benefit for them. Why invest all that money in hard goods that most replace at best bi-annually when you're selling spandex to adults at a likely 500-600% mark up multiple pieces at a time. The same margins aren't there for equipment. Sure they could buy a few open designs like Scratch did and stamp their logo on them, but why? There's still not a ton of revenue there for them.

Actually, they just re-brand those very very few pieces of secondary equipment with their logo, in order to have a nominal presence on the Dick's and TSA shelves.  They put no effort or push behind it.   They don't even rise to the re-branding level of say Nike, who gets Bridgestone to make its golfballs for it with a proprietary design that Nike has paid a third party design house to develop.

Prepare to be blown again. Priority Designs in Ohio designed both the Taylormade R7 & MOAD as well as the Nike Covert.  http://www.prioritydesigns.com/

That link used up about an hour of my morning I won't get back! Thanks Mark.

Since my life exists fully outside of the business world I had no idea design firms had so much influence on the final product of SO many companies. I'm not naive to the fact that not every product is designed in house, but seeing what appear to be signature products designed elsewhere is definitely a paradigm shift for me. I guess like anything else, you probably become an echo chamber for your own products and need an outside company to offer a fresh perspective. Did you see that Cannondale bike? Or the Taylormade balls that came in the plastic sleeves? Looked like batteries to me at first.

We live in a global corporate economy where lines of influence and borders blur.   Almost all golf clubs and shafts are made in China by subcontracted factories that are paid by TMag or Titleist etc. to fabricate their designs on WangChung Industries' (sic) equipment.   Those designs have R&D that may or may not come in house from the nominal manufacturer, and they have marketing influenced shapes and ridges and colors that may or may not come in house as well. 

It really doesn't matter where they come from any more and I'm surprised at how different the various products are that come out of these private labeling facilities.  Sometimes the Bigs buy sell and trade technology among themselves.  Why are the Titleist and Callaway adjustable hosel designs nearly identical?  I heard that Titleist licensed the design from Cally.   (Please correct anything I say in error MGS staffers.)

I heard somewhere that there are only a few factories around the world that actually make golf balls and all of our dozens of brands and hundreds of models come from those few factories.  Callaway famously acquired Spaulding years back for one reason -- to get its Top Flite ball factory so it could make its own balls. They really didn't care much for the rest of the company or its brands (including Ben Hogan.)

It's just a matter of when.  I would think they will buy a smaller company and bring them inhouse and just change the branding on the clubs to the UA as shown in the first post.  

If you think there isn't a market you are crazy.  The UA customer is very brand loyal, much more than most shoppers.  In the decision tree process brand is closer to the bottom than the top for the majority of customers, UA is the exception. STRONG customer loyalty compared to the rest of the golf sector. 

With the growth they have seen in the Golf sector in retail outlets such as Dicks (Galaxy), GolfSmith, and Academy they have positioned themselves as a true golf brand.  No they do not have a strong Green Grass presence, but their account manager system does open themselves up for that. When they figure out how to shape that frontier, watch out, because it's on.

Titleist Long Sticks

Mizuno Irons

Bettinardi Flatstick

Srixon Balls

I agree that UA enjoys strong brand loyalty -- for other sports apparel. But they are so new to golf that I think its premature to claim they have golf apparel "loyalty" yet. I've never seen a piece of UA  golf apparel on a course or in a store yet. Only on Jordan Speith's back an TV. But I think it's very handsome & distinctive and I would wear it.

I agree that UA enjoys strong brand loyalty -- for other sports apparel. But they are so new to golf that I think its premature to claim they have golf apparel "loyalty" yet. I've never seen a piece of UA  golf apparel on a course or in a store yet. Only on Jordan Speith's back an TV. But I think it's very handsome & distinctive and I would wear it.

I have searched fruitlessly for the shirts that Jordan wears and can't find any available locally to try on.  I'm with you, the under armor clothes that they script him with, incredible.

After reading the Nike thread, I think a lot of the same things would happen to UA. People would immediately ask why a shirt company is doing clubs. Only thing that they may have over Nike is Under Armor was a cutting edge company with the shirts in the public eyes. Down side is UA at least in my mind is overpriced, and I know a lot of people around me only buy UA when it's older stuff.

Think if UA does enter golf they're going to fight an uphill battle unless the stuff is either off the charts top notch or cheap based on perceptions. Maybe it's just me, but I've considered them pricey when shopping around. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I own a couple pair of UA Golf shorts FWIW.  Quite comfortable (though the pocket design could use some improvement)

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I have a few pieces of UA golf clothes and they are awesome. I have a hard time seeing them producing clubs. They will be better off to focus on the apparel side of the industry. Although they have burst onto the scene in the lacrosse world becoming the official supplier of apparel and equipment of the NLL.

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

I have searched fruitlessly for the shirts that Jordan wears and can't find any available locally to try on.  I'm with you, the under armor clothes that they script him with, incredible.

Do you all not have Dicks Sporting Goods, Golf Galaxy, Sports Authority, Academy, or GolfSmith in your area?  Don't go to the course looking for it in their pro shop, you won't find it there.  All the major big box stores should have it though.

Titleist Long Sticks

Mizuno Irons

Bettinardi Flatstick

Srixon Balls

Do you all not have Dicks Sporting Goods, Golf Galaxy, Sports Authority, Academy, or GolfSmith in your area?  Don't go to the course looking for it in their pro shop, you won't find it there.  All the major big box stores should have it though.

We've got a Dicks and a Scheels, but none of the other chains.   To be fair, I don't buy much new golfing apparel so I'm never window shiopping for it.   But for the sake of this forum, I'll make a special trip to our Dick's, Big 5 and Uinta Golf and I'll report back what I find.

Still haven't seen it on a course though, but again, I'm not going out of my way to check labels.

Do you all not have Dicks Sporting Goods, Golf Galaxy, Sports Authority, Academy, or GolfSmith in your area? Don't go to the course looking for it in their pro shop, you won't find it there. All the major big box stores should have it though.

We do. Under armor has a few lines of clothes and at the Dicks near me they have the generic line that has the standard fit polos, and none of "tour" looking clothes. Think blue shirt with horizontal white stripes or solid bright green shirt - that's pretty much all they have for under armor. It's odd because next to it they have probably 4 variations of Nike polos, from the low end to the TW line.

I'll look more closely at golfsmith next time I'm there and see what's up.

Archived