Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The Under Armour Rumor (YOUR OPINIONS)

GolfSpy_X

Hopefully never...

I first wore an under armour piece of clothing in 2000 or 2001 as a long sleeve turtle neck and since then have grown to love the brand more than Nike, Adidas, etc.

It took them many years to get into the shoe market and even now probably have hardly much of a share in that.

Golf as a whole is down. Golf equipment sales are probably even worse. Lot of risk.

We do. Under armor has a few lines of clothes and at the Dicks near me they have the generic line that has the standard fit polos, and none of "tour" looking clothes. Think blue shirt with horizontal white stripes or solid bright green shirt - that's pretty much all they have for under armor. It's odd because next to it they have probably 4 variations of Nike polos, from the low end to the TW line.

I'll look more closely at golfsmith next time I'm there and see what's up.

I went to Dick's, Uinta Golf, and my proshop today and found UA at all three! Not much product compared to Nike and Slazenger. Saw the green shirt you speak of. My brand ignorance is just due to the fact that I don't buy new golf clothes.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

Id be surprised to see this happen too.  I think they should just keep pushing the clothing gear and innovating on that front.  If they do enter the market, I could see them buying up one of the smaller OEMs and starting from there.  

I want to change my prognostication on this one.   I want to vote for UA simply NOT entering the Golf Equipment game at this time.   Unless it's already too late and they've already developed a line of clubs that they simply must release, I predict they sit this one out for a couple of years and watch the carnage from the sidelines.  They will continue to sell some clothes and shoes, but they don't spin their wheels trying to convince Dick's and SA to stock their clubs.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I think it would be cool if UA started making clubs.  Not sure when they would do it but if they do it, are serious about it and follow the Nike/TM tactic of paying the best clubbuilders in the business to work for them and get at least 1 top tour pro to play their clubs, they would be successful.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 5 weeks later...

I still want to know if UA is planning on bringing Spieth's shoes to market. I think their "spine" sole tech would be an interesting match with some spineless designs.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

What about Tommy Armour?

Tommy Armour is still toiling away as the Sports Authority house brand. Damn shame too. The clubs have gotten better but nowhere close to the 845's from the mid 90's. Letting go of my silver scots was a huge mistake. On a side note, the 845 DLT ball is my current favorite. 4pc two dozen for $25 I'll take it all day. Thread jack over. Sorry.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I can see them coming in full speed ahead with lots of finances to back the push. I'm not sure I see a viable company for them to purchase.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.0*/Accra Tour Zx475 75 x stiff
Fairway: Titleist TSi2 13.5*/Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 85 x stiff
Hybrid/ Driving Iron: Titleist U505 3 iron 20*/ Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff
Irons: Cobra Forged Tec 4-PW/ KBS C Taper stiff hard stepped once
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50*F/ KBS C Taper x stiff
Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200
Wedges: Vokey Hand Ground 58*T/ TT DG Tour s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"
Ball: Titleist Pro Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I hope they stick with what they do best, that is making some of the best light weight compression and non compression layered clothing around. To me it would be like ZERO Restriction getting in the club business.... just not a good move. Stick to what you do best. We all have seen many companies that have already been making clubs for decades struggling in this industry, why ruin a good company?

PS: now if they are buying an already troubled company like a Hogan or similar company at a bargain price.... then like poster above has mentioned maybe that could work... again though I feel too much of a gamble in this economy.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't new news, but Hogan is coming back.  I think I know what you are saying though, find a company like a Hogan of 10 years ago where there is the business know how and change the it to UA.  Maybe vs. a dying company, maybe look at smaller company with similar values.  My first thought would be Scratch.

Personally I hope they stick with what they do best, that is making some of the best light weight compression and non compression layered clothing around. To me it would be like ZERO Restriction getting in the club business.... just not a good move. Stick to what you do best. We all have seen many companies that have already been making clubs for decades struggling in this industry, why ruin a good company?

PS: now if they are buying an already troubled company like a Hogan or similar company at a bargain price.... then like poster above has mentioned maybe that could work... again though I feel too much of a gamble in this economy.

driver -  Titleist 913D3 8.5 Diamana Black X 72g 
hybrid -  Adams IDEA Pro A7 17 degree
irons -   Ben Hogan 3-8 APEX FTX 
scoring clubs - SCOR4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
putter -  Odyssey Tour Black #2
ball -  Titleist ProV1x

Archived