TESTERS WANTED! ×

Someone please help me, I am very sick.

mnfats95

I just bought a driver 2 months ago that I got fitted for, paid more than I've ever paid for one, and I hit great.

But with the pending release of the 915 and G30 I am itching to get out to the shop and give them a go.

What the *&$% is wrong with me?

I'm considering turning over control of my account to my wife to avoid a lapse in judgement.

Please keep me in your thoughts.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Good luck with that.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm considering turning over control of my account to my wife to avoid a lapse in judgement.

I fear this would be more of a lapse in judgement than hitting a new driver.  At least with the driver you get your money back to a certain extent.  No getting it back from the wife.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

This is a viral disease.....I have seen it before........every time you see a new club release, you get a weakness in the pit of your stomach and it doesn't stop until you have hit the Launch Monitor.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I share your sickness...resist as much as you can, but ultimately, resistance is futile.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't see a problem here.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

You've officially been bitten by the Ho Bug.  It's kind of like herpes, you can't ever truly get rid of it.  You can only hope to contain it for short periods of time before it flares up again :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I just bought a driver 2 months ago that I got fitted for, paid more than I've ever paid for one, and I hit great.

But with the pending release of the 915 and G30 I am itching to get out to the shop and give them a go.

What the *&$% is wrong with me?

Doomed.

Ha, but really I get the urge as well but realize the following: A) it's a lot of money and B) I'm happy with what I have and feel it's the best for me at the moment.

I'm more of a golf gadget guy. That's where I blow my money.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Best thing for the Ho Bug is to keep it a secret at home - the worst thing you can do is share the details of this condition with your significant other.

A secret kept is pain for one. A secret shared is an even bigger pain for one...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

As a 6 handicap you are not going to find a huge leap forward in club fitting like a mid to high handicap might. It gets to a point where you are splitting hairs and not worth the money in the equipment.

I'm not sure if you have ever gone to a tour event and just sat on a par 5 behind the tee box and watched a bunch of groups come through and hit drivers. I have seen some 3 to 5 year old Driver heads in the bag of tour pros this year when I was at the Wells Fargo, U.S. Open (Wed Practice round), Women's U.S. Open (Tuesday Practice Round). These are the best players in the world, get equipment FREE and yet they still play 3 to 5 models earlier of the current driver for that company on the market.

To the mid & high handicaps reading this:

~ You will benefit the most improvement short term from a club fitting. As you improve get refit for your equipment as your swing changes.

--> A lot of times this is just a shaft change and a lie/loft change that can help as you improve not really the heads that needs changed necessarily.

To the low handicaps reading this:

~ IF your swing / putting stroke has the same characteristics as wthen your equipment will still fit you.

--> You will see smaller margins of improvement from custom fitting because you have the ability to adjust to equipment that is not perfectly fit.

--> You will need to spend more time with a GREAT fitter going back and forth talking about FEEL of a club shaft, swing weight, etc.

--> If you know someone that can do it, get your fairway wood and hybrid clubs lie / loft adjusted to fit your swing as well (most players need them more flat and tend to go left with them)

--> Get fit for your putter and make sure to check the lie / loft angle on that as well

For me personally I play some old stuff:

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 4w (first released I think 2010) w/ custom shaft

Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19* hybrid (first released I think 2007) w/ custom shaft

The only reason I changed drivers this year (only two drivers in the last 3 years) is because my swing changed and my old one didn't launch the ball at the proper optimal angle / spin combination anymore.

hope that helps.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

My wife and I have seperate checking accounts now due to my clube hoe'n problems.  We split the bills in half,  but now she can't complain about what I buy.  She has signifigantly more money in savings but I have all kinds of cool stuff!! Lol

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

It's fun and you're not really sick yet. When you're taking delivery of 3 or more of the same type of club in a single day, then you're sick and are a ho. Right now you're almost a skank.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It's fun and you're not really sick yet. When you're taking delivery of 3 or more of the same type of club in a single day, then you're sick and are a ho. Right now you're almost a skank.

I kind of knew the king would hit this thread eventually. :)

Matt, my wife and I have a similar financial strategy and she has more in her savings and she doesn't work outside the home. We had a little chat about that the other day although I did very little of the chatting part beyond the obligatory,"Yes dear" and the always helpful, "Of course, you're right, I will sell what's here first before buying anything else and at least half the trumpets, too."

JMiller we need that post of yours about every 2 months or so. We have a group of LPGA and Symetra players who practice at the course I practice at. The newest driver head that I saw in any bag was a R1. I think they go with what's comfortable and tweak unless it's really broken or there actually is some huge advance technologically.

BTW is anyone in the market for a trumpet? I have some very nice ones for sale. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I actually noticed that at the senior open last year when I went up to Omaha. Most of them were playing older drivers. I suppose they found something they really liked and just stayed with it. I was just shocked to see several of them playing the original TM superfast driver.

Just as shocking was the number of stock shafts in them too. A number of them had aftermarket stuff, but I would say the majority had whatever came in the drivers.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

You think they're the same head and shaft as you can buy off the rack. They're not. The Superfast those guys are playing (as I've been to several events and double checked what my speculations were) are the model of that head with the longer hosels that are tour only clubs. I've had several of them and they're some of the best heads TMag has ever made. The 2.0 v2 LCG are also ver popular (it took me a long time and almost 40 tries to replace that one). The shafts also look like the retail shafts, but they're not. They've got retail graphics (which taylormade has been doing for a long time for the touring pros) on the shafts but they're not the stock shafts.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

You think they're the same head and shaft as you can buy off the rack. They're not. The Superfast those guys are playing (as I've been to several events and double checked what my speculations were) are the model of that head with the longer hosels that are tour only clubs. I've had several of them and they're some of the best heads TMag has ever made. The 2.0 v2 LCG are also ver popular (it took me a long time and almost 40 tries to replace that one). The shafts also look like the retail shafts, but they're not. They've got retail graphics (which taylormade has been doing for a long time for the touring pros) on the shafts but they're not the stock shafts.

That seems a bit shady to me. Yes, I understand why they would do it, but still, shady.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Interesting but not shocking. Kind of reminds me of hockey players and the blades. I'd say 3/4 of the time the player that the blade is named for, uses a completely different type of blade pattern. Seems like the easiest thing to do for these companies is put a fresh bunch of graphics and pretend the pros are playing stock. 

I think though for the most part the clubs are getting better and better, but for all golfers it doesn't matter if the club is brand new, if it fits and works, might as well stick with it.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Another thought on this. Why make a version for tour pros only? I get that perhaps there are modifications to the club that might make it hard for an average golfer to hit well, but why would something be "tour only" when there are some players who would probably benefit from whatever magic they are putting into that version of the club?

The graphics on the shaft are one thing, you want joe golfer to believe that your stock shaft offering is something even the pros play, but the head versions obviously offer something that the stock heads don't. I see "tour" versions of various clubs all the time, but am I to take this as saying that there is a third class of super secret ninja equipment that only the tour players are allowed to posses due to some rule that there is no one out there who could use it? I would think if it sells would be all that matters.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Another thought on this. Why make a version for tour pros only? I get that perhaps there are modifications to the club that might make it hard for an average golfer to hit well, but why would something be "tour only" when there are some players who would probably benefit from whatever magic they are putting into that version of the club?

The graphics on the shaft are one thing, you want joe golfer to believe that your stock shaft offering is something even the pros play, but the head versions obviously offer something that the stock heads don't. I see "tour" versions of various clubs all the time, but am I to take this as saying that there is a third class of super secret ninja equipment that only the tour players are allowed to posses due to some rule that there is no one out there who could use it? I would think if it sells would be all that matters.

If you want to see all of the different versions there are of a club you can check out the conforming club list.

http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfClub/conforming_golf_club.asp

As for the reasons there are several, sometimes it's a certain player wanting a slightly different version of a club.  For a marquee player a company will make pretty much whatever that player wants and it becomes a different version (tour only) of a club.  Sometimes it's a smaller head that likely wouldn't sell very well at retail.  Or a longer hosel, or a glued hosel design instead of adjustable.  The list could go on and on.

As for why they don't make them more readily available, it's all economics.  There usually isn't enough demand to justify creating another entire product line.  Think how confusing it would be if you had walked into a big box store and saw the R1, R1 TP, R1 v2 and R1 v3 sitting on the shelf all with different prices.  Then take the time to train all the retail associates to be able to explain the differences to Joe Schmo weekend warrior who's never been fit in his life and just wants the newest driver.  Then he buys the "tour only" v2 or v3 and can't hit it for crap and now hates TMaG.  It just doesn't work out financially for companies to do that.

My game has as much in common with a tour players game as a Ford from the dealership does to a Nascar.  For the majority of people out there it would just make the game harder to play using that type of equipment.  And for the guys who really do want it, and would benefit from it there are usually places you can find it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If you want to see all of the different versions there are of a club you can check out the conforming club list.

http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfClub/conforming_golf_club.asp

As for the reasons there are several, sometimes it's a certain player wanting a slightly different version of a club.  For a marquee player a company will make pretty much whatever that player wants and it becomes a different version (tour only) of a club.  Sometimes it's a smaller head that likely wouldn't sell very well at retail.  Or a longer hosel, or a glued hosel design instead of adjustable.  The list could go on and on.

As for why they don't make them more readily available, it's all economics.  There usually isn't enough demand to justify creating another entire product line.  Think how confusing it would be if you had walked into a big box store and saw the R1, R1 TP, R1 v2 and R1 v3 sitting on the shelf all with different prices.  Then take the time to train all the retail associates to be able to explain the differences to Joe Schmo weekend warrior who's never been fit in his life and just wants the newest driver.  Then he buys the "tour only" v2 or v3 and can't hit it for crap and now hates TMaG.  It just doesn't work out financially for companies to do that.

My game has as much in common with a tour players game as a Ford from the dealership does to a Nascar.  For the majority of people out there it would just make the game harder to play using that type of equipment.  And for the guys who really do want it, and would benefit from it there are usually places you can find it.

What you are saying does make sense, I guess why this rubs me is that when I go to choose equipment I would like to have that many choices, and since I'll never have a pro level game I'll never get that privilege. At least not the ability to try it all and find out what does indeed work best.

Goes back to the same thing that started this thread, for some reason I always feel like there is something better out there when most likely even if there is it might only gain me 1% better performance.

I just got fitted for the first time in my life and it has improved my game by a huge margin and now I am convinced that even after getting fit there is a better game to be found through equipment that I just haven't been able to try when in reality I just need to continue improving myself.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Why? Because they require specifications that 99.9% of the golfing world couldn't use or make work. They also measure exact loft and face angle. The Superfast you speak of has a longer hosel. Why? So they can bend it and adjust if. You can't bend a shorter hosel on a driver because it'll snap, every time. They also COR test every tour head to make sure it's as close to the limit without going over. You may get a retail head that's over or way under the COR limit but still within tolerance. There are clubs that they make as Protos that eventually get tweaked for the retail version (Adams CC1 irons made for Chad Campbell for instance eventually became the A12 tour after tweaks). The offset being lessened for pros (R9 TP B and C stamp iron heads come to mind). The offset that's standard makes them easier to hit for ams, but harder for tour pros to work the ball. The Rocketbladez N and F heads, less offset, or forged or solid face milling, etc. not available retail.

The retail items that get released are for the masses and are after testing what works.

There were 3 versions of the Superfast 2.0 on tour and 2 at retail. The first was too open, so version 2 was released and it wasn't as open at the retail level(version 2 denoted by having 2 serials). Same thing for the tour heads plus the 3rd option, the LCG model that had a lower center of gravity. The LCG head is one of the best ever made, IMO. Still have one. Identified by a Txxxx serial and the second serial on it ending with an L.

Tour pros require much more exacting specifications that the average amateur. Example, the TMag tour truck has a drawer separate for certain staffers. Dustin Johnson has his own drawer. It's filled with heads that are fractions of a degree off from what he plays (no more than 0.2 degrees). Ever heard of the Titleist 503.i? Yeah most haven't, but it's the cult classic tour driving iron that was tour only that Rory McIlroy was killing before his move to Nike. They're super rare and what the 712.i was based on. Very few golfers actually need those. And if you have a 503.i, you've got a gold mine. The Nike Method 006 Rors plays. Never been released. It's based on the Byron Morgan head that Scotty uses in his 009 (softened, rounded bumpers, rolled topline, etc). You can't buy them. If you know someone at Nike they might can have you one done, but the last one that sold was a Paul Casey Proto and it was like $2500. There's so many tour only clubs it'll make your head spin. It's because pros are so peculiar about their clubs and the specs have to be perfect.

There are also tour only balls. Tuned to the specs of pros. Look at the conforming ball list, one brand(I'll use pro v1's) may have 9-10 versions on there. They tune them to the pros for what they like.

Look what happened last time they tried to release a tour level item to the public. I'll say the Nike Tour Accuracy TW. A lot bought them and hated them because they were the exact ball Tiger used. There are very few golfers they fit and they love them.

In The Bag

All of this is the reason its so hard to answer the question, "Do the pros use the same equipment we do or can we get the equipment they use?"

Not in the store but if you want to pay enough and find the right spot - yes.  But why would you want to?  They do it for a living, even if someone here, and there are a few, have the requisite clubhead speed and athletic abilities, none of us has the time to practice to gain the consistency and more than likely we don't have the disposable income to make it worth it.

Instead just find what works best for your game and learn to play with it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have several tour only clubs.  Actually, my whole bag, save driver and fairway currently (though I have several tour only drivers to choose from). 

Adams LSP hybrids (smaller headshapes than the Super LS, identical to the original peanut but with new tech)
Adams CB1/CB2 combo set of irons
Scratch Tour Depth Wedges or Cleveland CG12 CC grooves

In The Bag

I buy, not just test in a hitting bay, about every new driver that comes out and I spend almost no money to do it.  How, you ask?  One word.

Ebay.

I'm not really interested in Tour heads and shafts because I don't have a tour SS or game.  I keep tipped shafts for Ping, Cally, TMag, and Titleist in my favorite model and length of Fujikura always on hand.  I have to wait a couple of weeks or months after release, when the first wave of big box store buyers start dumping their remorseful purchases on the Bay. Then I use my bag of tricks to get the best deal available at that time. I do my testing quickly and if the test club isn't better than my gamer, I sell it back on the Bay immediately, before the marketplace has had a chance to figure out if the club is a hit or a dud. If I do things right, I usually make a few bucks on the flip.

Only rarely do I get caught by a sudden market collapse before I can sell (Nike Covert).  Sometimes blah clubs really hold their value (913d Series). I've bought couple of sprung faced clubs this way, but guess what? The manufacturers have replaced them, no questions asked.

So basically it's free club testing.  I'm surprised that everyone isn't doing it.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Archived