Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

What club is least likely?

revkev

I'm wondering what club you guys think is a player least likely to be fit for?

If I consider my bag from bottom up while I wasn't fit for my putter it's since been modified. I was fit from 60 degree through 5 iron and driver. I wasn't fit for three wood but it was later tweaked and has a custom shaft. And that leaves 4 hybrid and 5 wood neither of which I were fit and interestingly enough are giving me fits. :)

So do you have a club or clubs in your bag that you weren't fit for at least minimally and if so which ones.

Also which club do you think is least likely to be fit in your fellow competitors bag?

I'm thinking it's the most important club - putter.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Definitely the putter. Mainly because there aren't many places to get fitted for them yet

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Putter for sure.

There is a lot more money in fitting for all the other clubs in the bag. You will always have to be re-fit and buy new irons / wedges as the grooves wear out. A lot of people only stick to a Driver for a year or two. It is a continuous cycle in all the other clubs in the bag which includes the following costs on the consumer.

~ Club Materials (Heads, Shafts, Grips, etc)

~ Assembly Labor

~ Fitting Labor (Some shops don't include this if you buy something, in fact most really good fitters don't include it in the price it is additional.

If you fit a putter properly for the player it literally can last them a lifetime assuming they don't change anything in their stroke.

~ All the player would need to do is make sure the loft and lie stay consistent, maybe re-shaft it when needed but that's not very often.

That's why majority of places do not do putter fitting, it isn't worth the cost to them to fit someone. They would rather have you come into the store and aimlessly buy putters searching for the one that best works for you over time.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

J Miller I tend to agree with you after reading your posts over the years. I feel you and I are of simular ages backgrounds and thoughts.I just really got into the proper fitting thing for me in the last few years. Now my new irons were custom built fitted and tuned for me from the beginning it is a long story but they are the best irons I have ever hit period surpassing my beloved MP33s. My driver was custom built by the same man.These changes have improved my game drastically. My wedges I super tuned myself and set up myself and they work. My old putter is a funny story used to be I had a bad temper and it has been known to be thrown a lot in the past somehow it got bent in the hosel but it works for me. I have never put it on my machine so i have no idea of the settings and dont want to know.

My only custom putter is a old Anser that I bought new in 72 or so a friend of mine in NC took it in the 80s and face balanced it and bent it up for me and recently I started back putting with it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Also which club do you think is least likely to be fit in your fellow competitors bag?

This totally depends on the competitor.  I play one guy who has a complete TMag bag he was fit for and a complete Titleist bag he was fit for.  I play another who uses Ping ISI and a bulleye putter and a 3 wood and two hybrids that he has taken from me.  He has never been to a fitter in his life.

I do my own "fitting" and tweaking of my clubs.  It may not be the best way to do it but that is part of the fun.  But the one fitter I have never been to is also the one I am most likely to visit.  The putter.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

To me the putter is least likely, but I think it has more to do with feel. I choose a putter based on how it llooks to my eye, and how it feels when putting, no fitter can possibly know those things. Maybe they could help with adjustments, but actually choosing the putter is to me a totally personal thing.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Putters definitely, I do not know anyone who has been fit for a putter ever.  Second is probably hybrids.  Most people seem to by those off the rack and only by based on regular, stiff, and x stiff. 

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

To me the putter is least likely, but I think it has more to do with feel. I choose a putter based on how it llooks to my eye, and how it feels when putting, no fitter can possibly know those things. Maybe they could help with adjustments, but actually choosing the putter is to me a totally personal thing.

I definitely agree with you.  I have always thought that anyone could put well with anything.  It is about the feel and the looks which translates into confidence in your putter and a smoother stroke.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I respectfully disagree with my friends lefty and jpc - while some may have a preference for how a club feels or looks the lenghth of the putter and the ability to get the proper eye (depending upon which one is your dominant eye) over the ball is huge - so if feel or looks or both matter to you than by all means pick out a putter that has the right attributes and then get it fit.

I firmly believe that it makes a big difference - bigger than any other club in the bag and yet I also believe it is the club least likely to be fit.  Perhaps that's why people hit it more than any other club. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was fitted for a putter in terms of shaft length and the lie, but that's because I found that the putting fitting was only a few extra bucks with a coupon. Plus at the time, I wanted to make sure I got something that fit me and did 

Honestly, I'd say wedges and putters are the mot likely to be bought as is and not fitted. I have no idea why someone wouldn't get fitted, it's honestly a great way to shave a stroke or two off your score and make you feel more comfortable over a 5 footer.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I was fitted for a putter in terms of shaft length and the lie, but that's because I found that the putting fitting was only a few extra bucks with a coupon. Plus at the time, I wanted to make sure I got something that fit me and did 

Honestly, I'd say wedges and putters are the mot likely to be bought as is and not fitted. I have no idea why someone wouldn't get fitted, it's honestly a great way to shave a stroke or two off your score and make you feel more comfortable over a 5 footer.

Fully agreed. In the end it eliminates a variable and there are way too many variables to putting and even more to chipping.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Agree with wedges and putter.  Never been fitted for wedges, but have been fitted for a putter - Coutour has a nifty fitting system.  Been going back and forth this season between my Coutour and an old Wilson Tour Special blade.  Both are around 32".  

Distance control is better with the Coutour, but I like the looks of the Wilson better.  

Watched a guy at Golfsmith the other day roll a few on their astroturf green, ask a few questions and then buy a $300 Scotty.  I hope he likes it...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Agree with wedges and putter.  Never been fitted for wedges, but have been fitted for a putter - Coutour has a nifty fitting system.  Been going back and forth this season between my Coutour and an old Wilson Tour Special blade.  Both are around 32".  

Distance control is better with the Coutour, but I like the looks of the Wilson better.  

Watched a guy at Golfsmith the other day roll a few on their astroturf green, ask a few questions and then buy a $300 Scotty.  I hope he likes it...

And if he doesn't it will be the club. Couldn't be him or the fact that it just doesn't fit.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Never ceases to amaze me that people will not blink at spending $120 on a new Titleist Vokey 56°, without any type of fit, but will not even consider purchasing a new iron set unless it is the correct shaft flex and type, length, lie, and even grip size....(correctly).  Happens around here every day.  $120 a club works out to a $960 set of steel shafted irons.. 

Food for thought...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I never got fit for wedges. I did recently change my wedge specs and made the same adjustments I did to my irons including cutting them 1/2 inch and tilting them an inch. Ironically my wedge game suffered for months after the switch. It was the only club after getting fit that I hit worse than a non fitting.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

After playing for over 50 years, I can honestly say that I have never been fit for clubs. Now I have been assisted when I tried out some irons where they offer you several different shafts and flexes, but never actually been fit. Several years ago I purchased 6 months of lessons from Golf Tec. They had me hit my irons (several sets ago) and let me know if I needed any adjustment, which was a "no" as they said I was a standard loft and lie.

Fast forward a couple years and now I am using irons with a flatter lie and stiffer shaft. I always thought that at 5' 7", I was a candidate for a flatter lie. I do believe that as we age, our posture changes and we should be re-fit.

That said, I believe the Putter is the one club that is least fit in your bag. A lot of golfers will choose a putter based solely on feel, even if it is the wrong swing path.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I never got fit for wedges. I did recently change my wedge specs and made the same adjustments I did to my irons including cutting them 1/2 inch and tilting them an inch. Ironically my wedge game suffered for months after the switch. It was the only club after getting fit that I hit worse than a non fitting.

I'm assuming when you say  "tilting them an inch" you're referring to changing the lie angle.  How did you determine what to change and how much? Just curious.  Shortening them made them feel lighter also.  That can make a big difference, good or bad depending on whether it was the right thing for you. 

I'm assuming when you say  "tilting them an inch" you're referring to changing the lie angle.  How did you determine what to change and how much? Just curious.  Shortening them made them feel lighter also.  That can make a big difference, good or bad depending on whether it was the right thing for you. 

Long story short: I got a new set of irons and got fitted for them. I've had my wedges longer so I got the same shafts as the irons and followed the same specs. I got everything cut buy a half an inch and then the lie by a degree. 

Perhaps you are right about the weight... but maybe it just took awhile to get used to, because I had a little more luck as I've played with them more.

Long story short: I got a new set of irons and got fitted for them. I've had my wedges longer so I got the same shafts as the irons and followed the same specs. I got everything cut buy a half an inch and then the lie by a degree. 

Perhaps you are right about the weight... but maybe it just took awhile to get used to, because I had a little more luck as I've played with them more.

Could also be that you require slightly different set ups for your wedges then your irons. My teaching pro mentioned to me that he would do my wedges differently to the rest of the set because of the length of the shaft and the types of shots you play with them they typically need a different lie angle. Not saying yours is wrong just more food for thought.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Could also be that you require slightly different set ups for your wedges then your irons. My teaching pro mentioned to me that he would do my wedges differently to the rest of the set because of the length of the shaft and the types of shots you play with them they typically need a different lie angle. Not saying yours is wrong just more food for thought.

No worries. I understand completely what you mean. I was told not to get fit for a hybrid and am really regretting not walking out of the store without the club. Sure I hit it great and all, but yeah.

Two thoughts: could the reason most amateurs choose not to get fit be time? Most want in and out of the store, so a face adjustment here and ten shots in the middle of the target and the club is sold without thought to anything else. Irons and wedges took me a lot longer to get fit then the driver, mostly because of all the lie/ shaft adjustments needed.

Most amatures choose not to get fit because they think they know better - seriously - I have a very good friend who is the golf repair guy at a Golfsmith - in the end he'll give a customer what they want but it is very rare that he believes its what's best for them.

BTW did anything see the news about Bubba walking into a Golfsmith this weekend?  It must have been a hoot.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Actually, I think most amateurs (all of us) don't get fit because they don't know anything about getting/being fit for clubs. I'd love to get fit for my clubs but, I don't have the money, time or a trustworthy place that is close, to have it done. Some day....

Actually, I think most amateurs (all of us) don't get fit because they don't know anything about getting/being fit for clubs. I'd love to get fit for my clubs but, I don't have the money, time or a trustworthy place that is close, to have it done. Some day....

Well I guess we've presented opposing views. It could easily be both or multiple other reasons as well even the old that's only for pros.

Can someone help silver & black out? I can't imagine that there isn't a good fitter around Cleveland.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Well I guess we've presented opposing views. It could easily be both or multiple other reasons as well even the old that's only for pros.

Can someone help silver & black out? I can't imagine that there isn't a good fitter around Cleveland.

There is a Titleist performance lab in Mansfield

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The place I normally go to buy equipment, which is a great golf shop, offers fitting. I just don't think they are "equipped" with the right personnel for that job. I'm in Massillon, which is right down the road from Canton. Mansfield and Cleveland are too far to go for me. If I could find someone fairly local that has a good reputation, I would seriously look into it. To be honest, I haven't really looked that hard to find someone close.

Archived