TESTERS WANTED! ×

RoverRick's AARP Bag

photo 2.JPG

I am only 50 but AARP has sent me my membership card, so I decided that I would rebuild my bag based on being eligible for membership.

Not really, but in my effort to lower my handicap I need to hit more GIR and get closer to the pin, so it was time to have an honest evaluation of my equipment.  The first step was to begin tracking my shots to get the true distance.  For that I began using Mobitee Premium Golf Assistant and GPS.

Mobitee allows you to load your bag info into the app and it will suggest the club to use.  More importantly, it is easy to track how far said club actually went.  The information that came from that was somewhat enlightening.

I am not the shortest kid on the block but I am far from the longest hitter around.  I actually average 260 yards on a good drive.  Out of the 26 drives saved in it I have 2 that are in the 220 region and 2 over 300.  But what was simply astonishing is that my 3 wood, FLI HI 2&3 irons, 4 iron, and 5 iron averaged between 200 and 185.  Also, I found that while I loved the KBS C Tapers, I really did not hit them as well at the end of the day as I did the beginning of the day.  So the C Tapers were out and the KBS Tours were in.

So based on this I began a bag rebuild.  First off, based on statistical data, I played better with a 52, 56 and 60 degree wedges.  I had set distance inside 100 that I hit those clubs really well.  So that was my starting point.

Further studies showed that up to a 6 iron I had nice even 12-13 yard gaps.  After a 6 iron, while to the naked eye it appeared that I was hitting the ball beautifully, but the reality of it was the gaps were shortening.  I easily recalled hitting my 3 wood 250 that time, and the 2 Fli Hi I hit 240 several times and 225 on the 3 iron etc.  But the average for them was a different story entirely.  Of course when you are talking those distances, the terrain and weather play a more dominant role, but the truth of the mater was, I was carrying around dead weight.

I then began a two month process of trying to find the right combination of clubs and shafts to build a more effective bag.  I eventually discovered that steel shafts work better for me in hybrids than graphite, and the my old Hogan CFT-ti hybrids are still able to compete in terms of accuracy.  Keep in mind I am not interested in distance.  I want consistency.  But by putting a 24* hybrid on a 5 iron shaft, a 21* on a 3 iron shaft, and a 19* on a 40" hybrid shaft I got consistent gaps between each club.  I also have a 17* on a 41 1/2" hybrid shaft that may replace my 3 wood.

What I ended up with is this.

Due to weather tonight the pics had to be taken indoors. 

bag.JPG

Ping i20 Driver with a Miyazaki C Kua

Titleist 913F with a Project X PXv

Hogan CFT-ti 17* & 19* on KBS Hybrid

Hogan CFT 21* & 24* on KBS Tour Black Nickel

Ping S56 6-PW on KBS Tour Black Nickel

Titleist Vokey 54 (bent to 52) on a KBS Wedge

Titleist Vokey 56 & 60 on DG Wedge shafts

clubs1.JPG

shafts 3.JPG

Mostly with Best Grips Micro Perforated Grips

grips 2.JPG

And I have 3 putters in the rotation all Scotty Camerons.

putter and cover.JPG

Big Sur with a Best Grips Suede D Model Grip

Coronado with a Best Grip Micro Perforated grip

Newport 1.5 with a Best Grip Major Leaguer

putter grips.JPG

I am keenly aware that there are 15 clubs in some of these photos.  I am headed to Memphis to play long knockers half my age on a 7500 yard course tomorrow.  (Play on Wednesday and Thursday)  I simply have not decided what putter would be best on those greens and I have not decided between the 17* hybrid and the 3 wood.  I tend to be better off hitting hybrids than FM's although not as far, at least in theory.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Nice bag, I have a big problem with gapping between my last iron and my first hybrid.  I have a h4 4 iron to go a little farther and then a jetspeed 19 degree.  There is about a 25 yard gap between these 2 clubs.  Any suggestions?

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I really like the way you gathered the data to analyze your set and make your decisions.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Rick,  you used firm logic to put together your AARP Bag.......I do wonder....what is the age of the CFT's?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Love your combo.  Should work out well, and good luck in Memphis.  

I've been AARP for a lot of years, and it seems that because of age I have to change clubs.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I got an invitation to join the AARP when I was just 35!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Nice bag, I have a big problem with gapping between my last iron and my first hybrid.  I have a h4 4 iron to go a little farther and then a jetspeed 19 degree.  There is about a 25 yard gap between these 2 clubs.  Any suggestions?

I am guessing but a h4 4 iron will be about 24* and 38.25".  The Jetspeed 19* @ 41.5",  That alone will give you 25 yards difference based on loft and length changes.  Since you are limited to 14 clubs you can look at lengthening the 4 iron shaft, unless that causes a bigger gap there.

But let's face it. How many times do you hit the green from that distance?  You can choke down on the Jetspeed and in essence make it a 40" shaft and have more control.  So my advice to you is practice hitting the 19* Jetspeed choked down to the bottom of the grip.  You now have 15 clubs in your bag and are still legal. Haha

Rick,  you used firm logic to put together your AARP Bag.......I do wonder....what is the age of the CFT's?

I have 3 from 2003 (1h, 3h, 4h) and 2 from 2004 (0h and 2h).  I have these in 14, 17, 19, 21, 24 degrees.  I also have 5 other hybrid heads but these Hogans still get it done.  They suit my eye and swing like no other and I have been trying to replace them for 10 years.  But I end up popping a different shaft in them and end up with a better hybrid. 

I got 4 less yards with the 17 than 14 but much more consistency on the same shaft so the 14 did not make the cut.  However, the 19 is the year newer model, and I get better results from it.  I will probably leave opt for the 3 wood over the 1 hybrid just for more diversity.

First off congrats on your AARP card you are on the way to being an official old fart:) ask me how I know? Have had mine seven years now. I like the method in how you chose your clubs I do the same thing in my head. I play with younger long knockers all the time. Just remember to play your game. Are you still doing the "instinct putting" thing?

Those old Hogan hybrids are good sticks even though I am not a hybrid man they are the same generation as my old Hogan CS-5 driver. That is my no1 backup In fact I would honestly be hitting it if my friend had not built me that Hathaway I am gaming now. But the old Hogan stays just in case. Looks like you got your act together all the way around Good Luck

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 3 months later...

Well, I guess I am done here.  I might as well resign my membership.  (Not really)

You see, I left the course yesterday utterly pleased with the performance of every club in my bag and for the first time ever, and I do mean ever, I felt like I had the perfect set of clubs.  At least that day.

Now, I did not even play that well, or certainly score that well.  I missed a number of putts (6) that I thought were in the hole.  I made a few poor swings, however, it was the bag make up that I felt was spot on.

And not a new club in the bag.  The newest made club was a Nike Covert Tour and it was also the newest purchased club.  Next weekend, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I play in the Halloweenie Tournament.  And this is the starting line up.

Halloweenie Bag.JPG

In the driver position is a Nike Covert Tour, (2013) currently set at 10.5* with a Kuro Kage and a MicroPerforated Grip.

Batting second and third are Titleist 980F 13* and 17* fairway metals.  These things are from 2003 and while I have 3 other 3 woods, nothing compares to the 13* with a Proforce V2 shaft off the tee and is surprisingly easy to hit off the deck.  This is a fairly low flying combination and will hit and run for 20-30 more yards.  I installed a Project X PXv in the 17* and it is a beast off the deck, and a high flyer off the tee when needed.  I can hit this very high and go over trees that I have never been able to do before.

The 3 and 4 irons are Hogan CFT 21 & 24 hybrids, circa 2004.  These also have been fitted with the PXv shafts and these have the feel of an iron but launch high and one hop and stop.  These are powerful hybrids but don't have the left side hooks hiding in them like most hybrids.  These should come with a scope for sighting in the flag.

The odd club here is the 5 iron.   A Mizuno MP53 5 iron on C Taper Ltte which made the DG Hot List in 2012.  I hit this club into a little wind on 15 from 180 and was disappointed when I did not see it rolling on the green, but knew I hit this well.  I found the ball when I got a little close.  About 4 inches from the hole, and 12 inches from the pitch mark.  I could not see it roll because it was directly in line with the flag. 

The rest of the irons 6-P are MP68's available from 2009-2012.  These are reshafted with C Taper Lites and Micro Perforated grips.  While I love the feel of these on a full swing, nothing compares to these in terms of accuracy on the partial shots.

The wedges are stock shafted Vokeys but have a custom paint fill and leather wrap grips in an oil can finish.  The 60 is unmodified but the 56 has been bent to 54*.  I have been playing these off and on since 2008 or so.

And finally is the Scotty Cameron Coronado putter in oil can finish, with custom pink paint fill, and a Micro Perforated grip.  This is my favorite and oldest club.  From back in 1997 that I got a couple of years ago from RP.  It was pristine and had a showroom glossy finish back then, but a couple of years in the bag and it has a bit of the shine knocked off of it.  Not dinged up in any way, just not as glossy as it once was.

I was in no way serious about leaving, and while I love the performance of the bag set up right now, I would still replace them with new stuff.  The problem is most of the new stuff just does not out perform the old stuff.  The biggest difference that I can see is in terms of forgiveness and of course distance but that comes mainly for changing the loft.  But as the Scor/MGS Labs testing is proving, the forgiveness and distance gains sacrifice accuracy.  I would love a driver that hit the fairway every time and gave me 300 yards, but prefer one that hits the fairway every time.

But I darned if the new Nike stuff didn't look good in Barbajo's review. :wub:

I give it a month. You'll change something...

Pot calling the kettle black?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I give it a month. You'll change something...

Month?  All, I need is a good week and I will be happy.  And probably shocked.  Haha

• 2 weeks later...

Nice bag and best of luck with keeping the setup intact.  I thought at the beginning of the year I had the perfect setup for me.....and well not one club in the bag from the spring is still in the bag.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• 1 month later...

Wish I did not see this thread. Those Hogan hybrids are among the best IMO. Now I will scour ebay endlessly. Thanks A LOT! lol..

I really would like something newer, but these Hogan's really are still some of the best out there. Update them with modern shafts and they can hold their own.

I dropped the Titleist 980F's a couple of weeks ago. I have hit the 980F 13* 250+ yards off the deck and found the green two or three times in my life. The problem is the other 97-98 times I tried to hit it that far I found myself 180 yards from the green hitting 3. Twice in the same round I did that and decided that if I was not mature enough to realize those two times were flukes and 240 was the best I could even dream about with that club, and even then it was 50/50.

However, 235 with the Rescue 11 set at 16.5 with the 42" shaft was something I could manage 6-7 out of 10 and my misses with it would go 180 not leave 180.  Off the tee, I gave up a few yards but not enough to worry about. So that found its way into the bag, and I had space for the 909H 19 in the bag then.

Now, when I am 240 and out from the green, I say, I can't reach anyway, where do I want to hit the next shot from. I have not had to hit number 3 from 180 out since then.

Archived