Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Full Putter Fittings

Salmon

With all the information and analytics behind getting fit for a driver I was wondering if anything like this exists for the putter.

I realise you can get fit for a specific type of putter by adjusting lie angle, loft etc. but what about finding out what style of putter works for you? I know there is the Ping fit to stroke but I was hoping there might be something more involved where something or someone can really narrow down a specific style or model of putter that is the best fit for you personally.

I ask this because I'm in the process of trying to find an upgrade to my current putter and am unsure on how to really go about it besides the simple have a whack of everything you see and randomly select one that you think feels best at the time. I realise it is very much a personal thing but I'm hoping there is some guidance out there.

Has anyone else gone through different kinds of putter fittings? What were your experiences?

What are the best/most important things to look out for when trying to find a putter that works for you?

How did you end up selecting your weapon of choice on the greens?

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I've never been fit for a putter before but I did a little research on fitting options. I checked out Edel Golf's fitting experience and they fit you for a lot of different aspects including head shape and alignment aids. The only problem is that they're not everywhere from what I remember.

As for how I choose putters, I go based on comfort which probably does me more harm than good. I've never been fit for any aspect of the putter but I am curious as to how different a fitted putter would perform versus one of mine. I know it's not a "fix all" solution but it would still be cool.

I'll start by saying I've never been fit for a putter, but it's high on my list of things I would like to do.

The quick answer is yes, full putter fitting beyond just a "fit for stroke" exists.  Most quality putter fittings use a SAM putt lab and take all kinds of measurements to determine everything from loft, lie, weight, length, head shape, alignment aids, grip...  They get just as involved (or maybe even more so) than any other fitting.  I can think of 3 places that do putter fittings within a 45 minute drive of me.  One is a Bettinardi Studio B, one uses a SAM putt lab and one is less technical and primarily uses Seemore putters.

For some quick info here is a link to the putter fitting page of the place near me with a SAM putt lab.  http://www.totallydriven.com/putter-fitting.html 

For me the only thing that matters on a putter fitting is can you start the ball on the line you thought you wanted to start it on.  You can get used to distance and lagging from there.  As long as you can hit the ball where you thought you were going to hit it, everything else doesn't have to do with the putter.  It's all green reading and speed.

As a side note to putter fitting if you can't get into a true putter fitting the MGS most wanted putter lists are a good place to start your search :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have had a putter fitting but it was to tweak my putter if necessary. It was, I went from 34" length to 321/2 and the lie was made 2 degrees more upright. I went from averaging 32 putts to 30 the next season.

Actually I've realized the past couple of days that a huge part of my recent putting issue has been lifting the toe, getting my hands too low and hence my body too far away from the ball. By just standing comfortably and letting my arms hang, the point of the fitting, I've started rolling it much better on the practice green.

So I didn't have a from scratch fitting but I had a take my putter apart and rebuild it one. It was helpful.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've done a handful of putter fittings.  One was based on SAM Puttlab data.  Another one was based on the amount of skid.  I've done 2 Edel putter fittings, one for a standard putter and the other for a belly putter.

To me, the Edel putter fitting is the best of them all.

The Edel fittings first focus on the aim bias of the golfer.  Do you aim right or left of the target?  Do you aim low or high (vertically)?  The Edel fitting cart comes with a bunch of different head shapes.  Then they systematically go thru the different hosel designs along with the different alignment lines and sight dots to find what you aim best.  It's a pretty extensive process because they want to make sure you can aim consistently at the cup. 

I have a right aim bias tendency.  So to counter that they started to use more offset and put the alignment lines in the flange. 

From there, they go to the counterweighting portion.  They train their fitters to understand what type of stroke you employ and how much counterweight to use.

It is the best putter fitting process going today, IMO.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Find an original Ping with the isopur pixl insert and they feel the same.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll have to try and find a place near by that might to Edel fittings but I have a funny feeling I won't find much being here in Aus :(

I was going to have a look at a SAM puttlab fitting as well and I mentioned it to my pro, except he told me its great for working on your stroke and your technique and can be used to fit you into a putter that you have already choosen but in terms of helping you find a particular model that works for you it's fairly limited. I may still end up having a look at it regardless but havn't made up my mind as its fairly expensive.

The other option my pro suggested was that since the couple of options I am currently looking at in terms of new putters are mainly Ping he was going to get in contact with one of the reps he knows and get me a full fitting with him and see how I go. Hopefully something comes from that I'll just have to wait and see.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I have had a putter fitting but it was to tweak my putter if necessary. It was, I went from 34" length to 321/2 and the lie was made 2 degrees more upright. I went from averaging 32 putts to 30 the next season.

Actually I've realized the past couple of days that a huge part of my recent putting issue has been lifting the toe, getting my hands too low and hence my body too far away from the ball. By just standing comfortably and letting my arms hang, the point of the fitting, I've started rolling it much better on the practice green.

So I didn't have a from scratch fitting but I had a take my putter apart and rebuild it one. It was helpful.

That goes to show everyone is different. I did the opposite of you. I dropped my hands down and lengenthed my putter from 33 to 34 and got the toe up some. But the key thing you said is get confortable. You get confortable your hands relax and it makes the stroke smoother period and that makes a good start to better putting IMOH

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

If u are straight back straight thru u need face balanced. Putt with an arc then toe hang is beneficial. Loft, lie, and length can all be positively affected by a fitting. I think weight is a preference thing. I prefer around 360-370g myself. When I won the tour contest and got to go to Bettinardi I figured out I needed 3* loft, 69* lie angle, and 33.5"-34" for my optimal stroke according to their fitting system. That being said, I am currently putting pretty well with a stock odyssey #9 with a ton of toe hang while I'm a SBST putter. Go figure!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Archived