Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kiran Kanwar's Minimalist Golf Swing: Traditional Physics for Golfers w/Less Than Perfect Bodies

I am a golfer and high school golf coach of 20 years, and had earned a hcp. of 9.4 after a lot of work using "The Golf Machine" and Gary Edwin's "Right-Sided-Swing."  

I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, am 56 years old and in September 2013, after lifting a box for another teacher, I herniated 3 cervical discs and tore several important right shoulder muscles. I honestly thought I'd be selling my clubs after losing the use of my right hand and right arm. My hcp. became a "22" as I had trouble breaking 100.

Worker's Comp urged me to do sensitive neck surgery which I refused due to horror stories. Instead I did Physical Therapy and found a great Chiropractor. I worked out daily. At the end of April I shot my first hole-in-one! :excl:

During my re-hab, I discovered a Ph.D student in Biomechanics, Kiran Kanwar who had displayed her "Minimalist Golf Swing System" to Dr. Jim Suttie, one of Golf Magazine's "Twenty Greatest Golf Instructors." Dr. Suttie's positive reactions/recommendations of the swing can be seen on Youtube.http://

So, did I tear up the golfing world once school was out? Well, my right knee became painful/stiff and swollen with bone-to-bone degeneration and total right knee replacement was scheduled for June 29th, 2014.  The surgeon urged me to continue golfing as best I could and using Kiran's Minimalist Golf Swing System, 4 days prior to surgery, I carded an 86, two 84's and an 82.

This Thursday past, less than 20 days after my surgery without use of a cane, I shot a 39/42 missing a myriad of birdie chances on our par 71. I got lightheaded waiting for our oldest member of our group that day and my new knee threw-off my putting balance. :blink:

Friday, the day after, was rough. I felt like somebody had operated on me-oh yeah they did!  Serously, standing around the green for 20 minutes each time was a workout!

Kiran teaches a traditional golf swing with the upper body 

"pre-set" with clockwise hip rotation/shoulder rotation and a slight head tilt to the right for a right-handed golfer. By performing the pre-set/pre-tilt, timing is removed from the swing and body mass is increased behind the ball and concentrated more effectively into the ball's lower inside quadrant. I am driving the ball 250 yards plus as a result when 230 was my tops.

She is her only teacher. I am a student! Good luck!

Kind Regards!

ICG

The downswing?  I had shot a 38/44 using MGS and planting my left heel prior to surgery. On 7/17/14, I simply lifted my left arm up and pulled it down and through keeping my head tilt. As my knee recovers, I will be driving it to begin the downswing and will report-or you let me know!  Experiment!

Kind Regards!

ICG

Suddenly my PW has gone from 110 yards in the air to 130 yards in the air-now I am really messed-up-hit an 8 iron on a "coolish" low humidity day today 150 yards despite knee surgery 3 weeks ago-overhit 8 greens today with various wedges/9/8/7  (usually bounce a 7 iron in at 150 but today was 1 club past green!-total 165 yards) irons to shoot an 89! Charted 15 extra putts and chips from carrying the ball too far on my approaches-the MGS swing is effortless consistent compression! And that baby draw is sweet!

Kind Regards!

ICG

Suddenly my PW has gone from 110 yards in the air to 130 yards in the air-now I am really messed-up-hit an 8 iron on a "coolish" low humidity day today 150 yards despite knee surgery 3 weeks ago-overhit 8 greens today with various wedges/9/8/7  (usually bounce a 7 iron in at 150 but today was 1 club past green!-total 165 yards) irons to shoot an 89! Charted 15 extra putts and chips from carrying the ball too far on my approaches-the MGS swing is effortless consistent compression! And that baby draw is sweet!

The biggest change that I made to increase ball compression and distance was the consistent use of MSG's "magic move" which is the "pre-tilt" tilting my right ear and shoulder  and side of head back over my right knee leaving me to feel my left side very high and stable. The left arm is lifted up to shoulder height without a conscious bending of the wrists and then I planted my left heel to begin the downswing while keeping the right side in tilt.

N.B. please note that Kiran does not say plant the left heel but instead says to keep the lower body still and "slap past" the ball with the club head keeping right side tilt!  I made that change in her system because of my knew knee and recent surgery.

In a couple of days I will experiment with "playing it straight" as Kiran suggests and will keep the tilt while simply straightening my right elbow. We will see if that is what she means by "slapping past the ball with the club head,"

I think I understand now why the swing is so effective given the consistent ball compression on every shot! No re-routing with a right -elbow extension that is in the correct bio-mechanical position! Right leg/left leg actually are activated into the ground as support as the back elbow is straightened making all other moves destabilizing and power sapping. Check out these videos as Kiran demonstrates the unnecessary re-routing by the long-driver-her right arm is extended with the right side being pre-tilted/pre-twisted. In the second video notice how powerfully Dr. Suttie's assistant extends his right arm from the pre-twist position.

http://youtu.be/vE_Q2HbN6-0?list=UUYww7hunQjofB6R6r_S_f4A

http://youtu.be/AXKpPNMtUCo?list=UUYww7hunQjofB6R6r_S_f4A

Kind Regards!

ICG

More clarity with the swelling going down on my new right knee with Kiran's MGS.  This morning, I kept coming over the top of my very large right thigh having forgotten to twist as Kiran instructs. I was just so happy to play!

At 7am, it took me 3 holes and a 7,8, (OB) 7 (water)  ( 10 over) to remember what I was doing wrong-old habits! (MGS needs a twist/tilt, left arm lift up the chest, dead right arm, and a drop of the right forearm below left-I do it by stepping on my left heel).

For the next 6 holes I played 3 over missing 3 birdie putts/chips within 20 feet.

On the back I started bombing away swinging easily but also overcooking my irons-the MGS swing really compresses the ball by consistently bringing the club in shallow and inside to the ball-5 over for 9 holes missing 3 birdie putts within 25 feet.

The MGS swing provides a simple. powerful Pre-set/twist making "The Hogan Pivot"  highly repeatable and dependable!

http://youtu.be/tQESBJB-vyQ

Kind Regards!

ICG

Archived