TESTERS WANTED! ×

Miura Golf - Passing Point 9003 Straight Neck Irons

SPY ZINGER

IMG_4900.JPG

Miura Golf Passing Point 9003 Straight Neck Irons

The name, Miura Golf, is not foreign to MyGolfSpy readers.  In fact, if you've spent any amount of time researching an equipment purchase for forged golf clubs, Miura is usually at the top of the premium pile.  When I thought about Miura in the past, I would describe them in much of the same way my wife would describe me.  Beautiful, soft, and too pretty to hit.  This previously adopted perspective changed during my honeymoon with the Passing Point 9003 Straight Neck Irons.

Since 1957, Miura Golf has been producing arguably the finest forged golf clubs in the world.  Based in Himeji, Japan, Miura is said to produce some of the softest feeling irons in golf.  Contributing to this is their proprietary process in the two-piece construction of their irons.  Using what is known as “spin-welding,” the hosel and clubhead are united from two separate pieces into one.  This, in addition to what has been described as the tightest grain structure in a forged iron, Miura as earned a reputation as one of the best forged club heads in golf.

The allure and mystique to the Miura brand has been validated over time through their partnership with major club manufacturers. Although by most accounts this practice has stopped, Miura had been the contracted forging house of choice for OEM's producing  heads for some the best players in the world. Over time, the question of which OEM irons were actually forged by Miura Golf has been speculative at best due to the agreements made under contract.  Nonetheless, some of the most previously desired OEM heads in the game were said to be Miura forged.

Miura has been adopted by golf aficionados as a premium forged iron. However, many golf consumers have neglected to give them a serious look because players typically associate forged irons with hard to hit irons. The notion that if the iron is forged, it's typically a muscle back with a sweet spot the size of a dime and sole thickness of a butter knife. This, coupled with the fact that their irons are not readily available for demo at big box retailers, consumers have tended to neglect them as an option.

A couple years ago, Miura Golf set out to modify the misconception that a forged iron is restricted to professional or accomplished amateur. They introduced the Passing Point 9003 into their line. It was Miura's first club for the “everyman,” if you will. Miura has stated that they will not release a new iron into their line unless it an improvement or significant compliment to their current offerings. The Passing Point was a perimeter weighted cavity back introduced with a wider sole for more forgiving turf interaction along with a bit of offset to correct ball flight. Oh yeah, and it's a forged club geared toward the mid to high handicap player.

IMG_4888.JPG

IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

More recently, the company introduced a modified, “straight-neck” version of the same club with less offset than the original Passing Point iron.  Here are some of the features and details from Miura Golf:

Material:    Low-carbon, premium steel     
    Process:    Forging in Miura's own forge in Himeji, Japan, using dies specially calibrated to produce less offset than regular PP-9003s
    Finish:        Nickel satin chrome

Features:   High-density impact area for maximum feel and power.

Leading edge specially engineered help the player make solid contact.

Forged cavity-back construction offers solid feel with perimeter-weighted forgiveness.

Sole designed to glide confidently through the turf.

Easy-to-aim shape helps players square the face at impact.

The SPY ZINGER Build Sheet:

Miura Golf Passing Point 9003 Straight Neck

4-PW

True Temper Dynamic Gold Shafts S-400

1* upright, standard length/loft (45* PW)

Miura Golf PURE Grips 1/32”

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4911.JPG

I have had the the Passing Point 9003 S irons in play for over a month now, and have had a lot of time with them on-course. Prior to hitting them for the first time, I recall loading them up into my bag, staring at them thinking, I am not good enough to hit these things. They are just an aesthetically pleasing iron in the bag and look like you mean business. Which, I always do. This was my first go at a full set of Miura irons.

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG

As I have previously mentioned in the past, I have been around the golf equipment forums for the past eight years. I've read and have seen a number of equipment reviews for Miura golf and had the opportunity to play some of their equipment. But, never a full set of their irons. Like I mentioned, I've never really read a negative thing about their irons aside from them being a little more expensive, and for the better player. The Miura following is seemingly deep given their lack of star power marketing and tour use. It seems as though that guys that play Miura tend to play them for life. That is, after one set, they're next set is always Miura.

I have always wondered why that was too. What is it about the feeling of “butter” that was worth the cost? Maybe the fact that you can't really buy Miura clubs “off the rack,” people were actually getting fitted into their irons and it wasn't the irons at all? Maybe the golfers that played Miura were playing irons that actually fit them and by default, they felt better. I've always heard the precision argument too, that their specification tolerances are some of the tightest in the industry. Can't a good club-maker overcome the shortcomings of the products originating from China? Miura irons are close to double the cost of flagship irons offered by other OEM's. Other than feel, what's the draw?

On course for the first time with the Passing Point irons, I had a moment of clarity. I remember looking at my playing partners that day and said aloud, “Wow, that was solid.” Shot after shot the Miura Golf lemonade was tasting better and better. For the first time I understood what that feeling felt like. The feeling of “like no other iron, “ or “like butter,” or “Purity of the Strike,” made sense. Miura uses the same 1025 Carbon steel that other equipment manufactures use in the industry. Upon contact there is something distinct and unique to a Miura iron.

The Passing Point 9003 S is without question a surprisingly forgiving iron. As a 12 handicap, the forgiveness of the head wasn't an issue and found it to be even more forgiving than irons I've owned in the past. Built off a 45 degree pitching wedge, the strong lofted heads fly to yardages consistent with other game improvement heads I've played previously. The thickness of the sole and topline inspire confidence and are perfectly matched to a player of my skill and ability. There is something about the high toe on these irons that give them the easy to hit look at address. They are a remarkably good looking head.

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

The Miura experience is rooted in a network of dealers that are nothing short of skilled craftsman themselves. It's how we all know we should purchase equipment, but rarely ever do:  A comprehensive fitting and having the clubs built to spec using some of the tightest tolerances in golf.

People tend to gravitate toward new equipment purchases for specific reasons usually surrounding more distance or enhanced forgiveness. Low and forward center of gravity, cut out channels, and manipulation of vertical center of gravity are concepts associated with distance and forgiveness. Players know where to look for those clubs, and they're constantly being told why through marketing. But if you place a premium on feel and consistency, shot after shot, Miura forgings hold the title for best in show and own this market. They are without question the best feeling irons in golf.

The most difficult part for me is explaining the Miura Golf feel to you. As mentioned, I've been reading about it for years, and always knew it, but never understood it until I hit the irons myself. When combined with the surprising forgiveness and playability of these heads, I am confident in saying they're the most enjoyable irons I've ever hit. They feel good, they look good, and most importantly, I can actually play a Miura iron with evident success. They're just fun to play.

The most common question I see asked by consumers is, are they worth the cost? Are they that much better than what I can walk into Golf Galaxy and purchase at almost half the cost? People often will use the car analogy in this circumstance. There are several layers of price points in the automobile industry and they'll all get you to work on time. Cost is relative and the definition of “worth it” is different from one person to another. You almost need to hit a Miura club to really conceptualize what people have been talking about since 1957. It's hard to write and convey accurately. But after you draw the club back for the first time and make contact with the ball, you'll soon understand.

You are paying for something different then anything else in the industry. This something different is hard to see on a Trackman. It's a feeling and one that is obviously difficult to replicate because I've never hit anything more solid to date.

Miura Golf Passing Point SN irons retail for about $225 a club.

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

Posted Image

Miuras feel soft because they are soft.  I have heard they wear very quickly, not a desirable attribute in $1800 irons.  Heck, not a desirable attribute for me with $400 irons. How is the wear on these since you have had them in play for a month?  These pics are great but they are of brand new irons, unless you have a swing speed of 20 mph and hit off pillows.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Zinger with a set that Miura-san himself did himself. NIIIIIICEEEE

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Those are gorgeous!

I have the same intrigue as RR, being so soft what is the wear like? And hitting them say twice a week do you think they'd last long enough to make the price worth it?

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

Hey guys, thanks for taking a look at this.  I play about 6x per month.  I have not heard or have experienced any of the finish wear that was mentioned at all.  I do not take an incredibly large divot either.  I always take the photos of the clubs prior to hitting them.  I took some pictures of an 8 iron tonight.  Let me know if you would like to see anything additonal, happy to take them.

-1.jpg

-2.jpg

-3.jpg

Posted Image

Hey guys, thanks for taking a look at this.  I play about 6x per month.  I have not heard or have experienced any of the finish wear that was mentioned at all.  I do not take an incredibly large divot either.  I always take the photos of the clubs prior to hitting them.  I took some pictures of an 8 iron tonight.  Let me know if you would like to see anything additonal, happy to take them.

attachicon.gif-1.jpg

attachicon.gif-2.jpg

attachicon.gif-3.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply.  I guess 6 rounds isn't much, unless you hit a rock on the first swing like I did with my brand new AP2's in 2009 less than a minute after removing the plastic from the 6 iron.  I still cry myself to sleep occasionally about that. 

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

There is a local high school kid around here gaming these (or maybe a previous generation). I see him frequently on the range and he's had them for a while. They don't look any more worn than any other clubs. He doesn't have club covers on them or anything special. The only thing that struck me is that they looked really dull, as in lost their sheen not boring. Other than that, they look like they are holding up.

And I'd add that a club losing it's sheen over time is probably pretty normal.

Mmmmm, Miura….

Always struggle with the price/value/worth it thing.  $2000 for a set of irons is, shall we say, a commitment…and since I change irons like I change socks, probably not a good idea for me.  Then again, I've never hit a Miura...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Beeeeeeeeeuuuutifulllll!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Mmmmm, Miura….

Always struggle with the price/value/worth it thing.  $2000 for a set of irons is, shall we say, a commitment…and since I change irons like I change socks, probably not a good idea for me.  Then again, I've never hit a Miura...

I've seen Miura sets at GG for $800 when they're clearing their shelves. I just wasn't impressed enough to pony up the cash.

Again beautiful set of irons and I'm super happy for you! Nothing worse than paying top $ for something and not be happy with it!

Will have to keep us updated after a few more laps around the track!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

• 2 weeks later...

I was just going to look to see what irons you were playing recently and here you go! Nice review. These  have been around a few years and seem like a great addition to Miura. It's nice to see how forgiving these irons can be with someone with a similar skill set. Thumbs up!! 

Also, didn't you use a K grind Miura wedge a bit ago? 

The G

Driver: Call Epic 9* Stock Fujikura FW: Cally Rogue 17* R Hybrid: Titleis 910h 21* Blue Diamana Irons: Mizuno 850 Forged 5-G Nippon 1150 2 up 0.5" Sand: 54* Vokey SM6 M Grind Lob: 58* Vokey SM6 K Grind Putter: Scotty Select Newport 2 35"

• 2 weeks later...

I was just going to look to see what irons you were playing recently and here you go! Nice review. These  have been around a few years and seem like a great addition to Miura. It's nice to see how forgiving these irons can be with someone with a similar skill set. Thumbs up!! 

Also, didn't you use a K grind Miura wedge a bit ago? 

The G

Yes, had the K grind a while back.  Yes, I am so surprised at their forgiveness and feel. 

Posted Image

Gotta say Zinger - I'm having a blast hitting the Miura blade you loaned me. You may have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. Surprisingly easy to hit and I'm particularly impressed with the ReCoil shaft...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Gotta say Zinger - I'm having a blast hitting the Miura blade you loaned me. You may have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. Surprisingly easy to hit and I'm particularly impressed with the ReCoil shaft...

Hey John, very cool! It's actually a steel fiber in there. If you like that shaft, you'll Love the recoil. Much smoother. Maybe I'll just have to write that club off then as a total loss!

Posted Image

Awesome choice Zinger. PP's are one of my favorite Miuras for their soft feel and forgiveness. You didnt want to go with the Black Boron finish?

10380293_10152404085394234_8777623876861

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

Awesome choice Zinger. PP's are one of my favorite Miuras for their soft feel and forgiveness. You didnt want to go with the Black Boron finish?

10380293_10152404085394234_8777623876861

Mamacita...those are beautiful. The standard PPs look great, but that finish is something else.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Archived