TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hot News! MGS Most Wanted Mallet Discontinued?!

markb

Ok that's not helped much! So will less deep grooves mean it's not as effective - or even better? MGS staff I think we need a retest ASAP using the same scoring as for the most wanted.

I assume the 30 bucks is as a result of them thinking that ketsch should be even better than it was? Will we now see the price go up......

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In seventh grade I moved to a new town and made a friend who turned out to be a rotten apple. I didn't really know it at the time, but once at my house he randomly offered to give me money. I thought it was strange and refused. Turned out he had stolen my brother's gameboy, which we luckily got back.

Why does this feel like Ping is doing something similar?

Here's my interpretation of the recent press release.  I am not a Ping staffer or an engineer.   I'm a marketing guy who has played Ping Clubs for 35 years and who now owns a Gen 1 Ketsch.

First, I absolutely agree that the Ketsch's grooves are very deep and its intermittent ridges between them are very sharp.  Whether this is a good thing or bad thing, or an expensive thing or a hard to mill properly thing, I dunno.   What I do know is that the Ketsch's grooves were milled exactly to the depths Ping intended when they dialed in the settings on their computer controlled milling machines.   So those grooves' depths aren't so much "unintended" as they may be potentially "ineffective" at delivering Ping's intended True-Roll performance.  Allow me to explain.

Let's say their engineering studies tell them that having grooves of a certain precise depth in the center is ideal and having those grooves get ever so marginally shallower when radiating out from the center helps to mitigate "roll-out" variance in the distance of struck putts.  If this engineering claim has validity, then grooves that are way too deep in the center and too deep even as they supposedly shallow out towards the margins, effectively negates the premise of "variable" depth grooves.   You don't have effective varying depths, you just have grooves that are always over-deep even as they vary. 

Think of it this way.  You want to build a swimming pool with a shallow end for the kiddies and a deep end for the adults.   It should be 12 ft under the diving board gradually shallowing to 3 ft, right?   But the contractor builds you a pool that is 24 ft under the high dive and 15 ft in the "shallow" end.   Your "shallow" end is worthless for the purposes you're trying to achieve.

What does this make the Ketsch 1?   I dunno.  My personal testing (which can be found in another thread in this fourm) indicated that the Ketsch's sharp and deep grooves really bit into a urethane ball and caused it to roll in tight adhesion to the turf,   This made it a phenomenal lag putter and very good on downhill sliders because it had "traction".   But it also caused Ketsch putts to come up "short" if not firmly struck.   I also noticed that Ketsch putts got more squirrely when they lost speed, allowing them to break more or wobble more on critical five footers that had only enough speed to just reach the hole.

My solution to the weaknesses was to pop putts more firmly a foot or two past the hole in order to keep them from bleeding out, while at the same time I took advantage of the Ketsch's strengths on downhill sliders.  How any of this related to the Ketsch's purported mitigation of distance variation through TR technology, I dunno.   I never had any complaints about the Ketsch's dispersion variance.  But I can potentially see how really sharp really deep grooves might have contributed to this "super-traction" effect that I thought I saw.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

So, if the grooves are not functioning as originally intended because they are too deep, then by shallowing out the grooves, Ping would achieve what it was originally trying to do.  Maybe that will eliminate the need for a more firm stroke?  If that's the case, then everyone will be playing Ketsch up.   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So, if the grooves are not functioning as originally intended because they are too deep, then by shallowing out the grooves, Ping would achieve what it was originally trying to do.  Maybe that will eliminate the need for a more firm stroke?  If that's the case, then everyone will be playing Ketsch up.   :)

That may be true.  I'll have to try the shallower-grooved Ketsch II and see if it displays the same traits.  

To tell you the truth, I kinda like the fact that the Ketsch I comes up short on putts now that I'm used to it.  I don't fear downhill runaways much any more and I can really bang uphill putts to keep the line true.

For those that own the Ketsch, don't forget to send in for your $30 gift they're offering for owners of it. They're also starting production again

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

The Rest of the Story -  

The Ping Ketsch II is now out and available.   It is exactly like the Ketsch I, so I shouldn't even be calling it the Ketsch II.   The only differences are the shallower and thinner face grooves and some white fill paint on the bottom on the arc lines which used to be black.

I don't have pictures of the new face that I can post and curiously Ping is still showing the old face on its website.   Evidently they believe its still the same club and little clarification is necessary.  If so, why did they "discontinue" production and offer a $30 rebate?  Whatever, the tempest in the teapot has now cooled.

Another blog has a few pics up and you can see definite differences in the width and depth of the grooves in normal close-ups.  The old Ketsch didn't really have flat spots between its grooves.   It had knife-blade ridges.   The new Ketsch has flat mesas.  

A few initial reports state that it has a slightly firmer feel.

While on vacation, i saw the Ketsch at Dick's for 199.99, then at a pro golf discount for 199.97........both in Hilton head. (wow what a discount).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 4 weeks later...

while I was in the golf shop yesterday, I checked out the new grooves on the Ketsch 2. Sure enough, they were much shallower and thinner than those on my Ketsch I. Then I picked up another Ketsch I  that they had for sale in the shop. Its grooves were also noticeably shallower than my early model Ketsch, although they were deeper than the model 2.

WTF? How did I get one that was so different? Leads me to think that QC on those model I's was really quite bad. That's modern American manufacturing for you, I guess.

I'm still waiting for my putter to arrive. Ordered 2 weeks ago and was told will take 2 months cos it had to go to Japan and then here.

I'm hoping they can expedite it.

Irons: Miura PP9003 KBS Tour 90 R 5-P

Wedges: Miura New Wedge Series 51 Deg, Cobra Tour Trusty 56 Deg

Driver: Bridgestone JGR 10.5 with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

3 Wood: Bridgestone JGR 3W with Tour AD J16-11W Stiff Reg stock JDM

Hybrid: Bridgestone JGR 4H with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

Putter: Ping Sigma G Kinloch C 

Right handed, lives in Singapore

Playing in the mid 90s and trying my best to break 90 consistently.

• SPY VIP

while I was in the golf shop yesterday, I checked out the new grooves on the Ketsch 2. Sure enough, they were much shallower and thinner than those on my Ketsch I. Then I picked up another Ketsch I  that they had for sale in the shop. Its grooves were also noticeably shallower than my early model Ketsch, although they were deeper than the model 2.

WTF? How did I get one that was so different? Leads me to think that QC on those model I's was really quite bad. That's modern American manufacturing for you, I guess.

That is surprising. When we visited PING, we saw the heads being milled to very tight tolerances. Deep or shallow, having any variation seems very un-PING-like.

I still have not picked up a new groove model, but when I get my hands on one I'll post comparison photos.

FWIW, I still enjoying putting with the old groove one.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think I'll go back in and try to get photos.   But I'm not a popular guy there and I dunno if they'll let me snap them.    The Model 2 looks like it should.   The other Model I looked okay and had grooves very much like a TR Nome and TR Senita they also had in the shop, about middle of the road.   Mine has these little knife blade ridges, as I have commented before.  So deep I have to clean grass and sand out of them.

I was able to pick up a left-handed one from an eBay auction yesterday for $125. I'm not sure if it's an original model or a new one but either way I've wanted to try one since it ranked at the top of the MGS list. I would much rather spend my money at a local shop but it seems that most of the time eBay is my only way to try things out being left handed. It also doesn't help that I live in the middle of nowhere.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

• 1 month later...

I would love to let this Ketsch thread die because the story behind my personal beloved putter and the MGS MWM winner of 2014 has now passed from comedy to slapstick farce.   I'm now hearing that Ketsch "2" is dead and is no longer being sold or shipped from Ping and that Ketsch "3" will arrive in spring.   What is wrong with Ketsch "2"?  I don't know.   It was all China made, maybe that bothered Ping.   It looked fine to me from the exemplars I saw in stores.   But I also heard that guys who ordered from Ping simply never got theirs.  And I know of NO ONE who collected the supposed $30 rebate on the Ketsch 1.

How can you tell whether it's a 1 or 2?

My Dicks has one with a $200 price tag on it......has been there for several months with no discount on it.

I have putted with it and like it but will not pay $200.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Come on MGS, we cannot have a best putter that's not available...... So what are ping doing, send out the spy's.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

How can you tell whether it's a 1 or 2?

My Dicks has one with a $200 price tag on it......has been there for several months with no discount on it.

I have putted with it and like it but will not pay $200.

The 1 can be distinguished from the 2 by the grooves, of course, but unless you see them both together or are familiar with the 1, you won't be able to tell.  The 2 has white paint fill on the bottom two arc slots, the 1 has black paint fill.   The only good photos of the 2 that I've ever seen on line are at G***WRX in the thread on "New Ketsch Availability", page 2, http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1073273-new-ketsch-availabilty/page__hl__%20ping%20%20ketsch.

Also the 2 is made and assembled in China.   None of that reputedly wonderful "Phoenix CNC milling" that betrayed them with the first version.

If "2" is made and assembled in China, I'll be pissed. How do you guys know that?

I paid for mine back in Oct and they told me it will be made in USA and then shipped to Japan for assembling before sending it to Singapore by late Nov/early Dec.

I've contacted the rep many times and the story is my putter is in a long queue in USA and now ETA is end Dec.

If I still don't get it by then, I'm looking into cancelling the order.

If "2" is made and assembled in China, I'll be pissed. How do you guys know that?

I paid for mine back in Oct and they told me it will be made in USA and then shipped to Japan for assembling before sending it to Singapore by late Nov/early Dec.

I've contacted the rep many times and the story is my putter is in a long queue in USA and now ETA is end Dec.

If I still don't get it by then, I'm looking into cancelling the order.

I looked at the sticky labels of the 2 in the stores, if I read it right it was all made overseas.   I'd cancel your order and march down to the local Golf Galaxy and pick one up.   They were in stock and available even at my little Uinta golf B&M in central Utah.  If they're shipping to boondocks stores to sit on shop floors, why can't they fill orders? 

And I'm hearing all sorts of conflicting tales being told by the various Ping CS reps if you call them on the phone.

I just spoke to the rep of the local Ping store in Singapore. He confirms they are still made in USA, assembled in Japan and then shipped here.

Assured me that if it's made in China, it's an imitation. (really loss of words on this)

Also told me my putter is going to arrive soon.

I'll give them until 26th Dec after which I will probably just go down to the store and either cancel my order or grab the version 1 if it's still there. The problem with the small market in Singapore is that we hardly see any Ping putters outside the Ping shops.

Good luck Darren, think many of us have heard similar messages over the past 6 months. Let us know if it turns up.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Thanks Westy.

Hope I'll have a good update by end of next week.

I just spoke to the rep of the local Ping store in Singapore. He confirms they are still made in USA, assembled in Japan and then shipped here.

Assured me that if it's made in China, it's an imitation. (really loss of words on this)

Also told me my putter is going to arrive soon.

I'll give them until 26th Dec after which I will probably just go down to the store and either cancel my order or grab the version 1 if it's still there. The problem with the small market in Singapore is that we hardly see any Ping putters outside the Ping shops.

I'm sorry, I did not notice you were in Singapore.  You can't just march into a store and get it.   You'll just have to wait on the whims of Ping.

"Made in America but assembled in Japan" is a combo I've never heard before, especially since the Ketsch 1 was made in China and assembled in the US.

Thanks Markb, I believe the one I saw at Dick's is the "2" ......is it worth the $200 price tag?

• SPY VIP

Still no info on the new incarnation of the Ketsch other than a January launch with the other new Ping models.

FWIW, Tim and I saw the Ketch v1 heads being milled and then assembled in the factory in Phoenix. Not sure where the grips and shafts are made, probably China, but heads and assembly were definitely a Phoenix operation.

0059_2W2A4035.jpg

0097_2W2A4168.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Thanks Markb, I believe the one I saw at Dick's is the "2" ......is it worth the $200 price tag?

Well, I paid close to full price for mine back in May.   I never do that, I'm the cheapest SOB on MGS.   But I think that in the case of a putter you really need to know your specs of length and swing arc.   I got mine the exact length of my previous putter and I knew I wanted a slight arc black dot.   So when I saw an ebay buy it now come up with those specs, I leapt at it.  But I think I'd probably shop for an auction in my specs on Ebay right now and pay half.  I see an adjustable length, black dot, slight arc for sale right now at $111, for example.   Another straight arc 35" with SS grip for $99. I see CB models for $112 to $129.  These are all 1's.

I don't really know how the 2 will perform compared to the 1 and it would probably take me a couple of hundred putts to give you an answer.  (If you'll recall back to my Ketsch 1 user review 6 months ago, I was one of the first to notice that Ketsch 1 putts tended to roll short.  It took me 500 putts to gain that impression.)   But I still love my Ketsch 1 and I've figured it out as well as I can figure any putter out.   I know the stroke that I must put on it to get it to work.   It's very easy to align even without practice and I think that's why it did so well in the MGS testing.   The learning curve is simple and quick and guys see instant results.

I literally saw NO difference in appearance between 1 and 2 except for the grooves, so I think your putting experience would be very similar for both.   I'm not a xenophobic golfer so I don't care where any club is made.   If making them in China is cheaper and more reliable, go for it.   If milling them in Phoenix produces bad grooves, well then you have to question that decision.   (If you ask me, the "too deep" grooves fiasco was probably operator error.  The guy programming the machine set it to mill too deep.)

Archived